IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the strength of Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the strength of Allah

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the strength of Allah
    Posted: 30 January 2015 at 12:49am
With the greatest of respect I would like to ask a question about the strength of Allah.

There is a philosophical paradox that poses the question:
If Allah is so powerful and can do ANYTHING, can he create a rock that is so heavy that he himself cannot lift it?

As a student of religion I would be very interested in the Islamic answer to this question.

I could not find an answer in the Quran or any non quranic scripture by any of the prophets so I thought I would ask you.

May your God bless and keep you,
Sincerely, Lawson
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 11:11am
Assalamalecum,first know what is Allah, Allah is one, he is eternal, he is neither born nor give birth, there is nothing like him.Allah does what he intends to do (ch 85 v 16), means we humans can't think how Allah does, we believe that Allah has done this, that's it.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 1:03pm
Naba:
Quote means we humans can't think how Allah does...
Sure, than please stop speculating that God is "as described by the Quran", he may as well be a nutter !

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 02 February 2015 at 1:09pm
Emettman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emettman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Lawson Lawson wrote:

There is a philosophical paradox that poses the question:
If Allah is so powerful and can do ANYTHING, can he create a rock that is so heavy that he himself cannot lift it?

That is a mere linguistic anomaly, not any sort of philosophical paradox.

What happens when an irresistible force hits an immovable object? The answer is that it becomes apparent that the labels attached to at least one of the entities concerned was inaccurate.
No need to involve a deity:as soon as two incompatible qualities are invoked at the same time, the imperfect nature of language is revealed. Nothing more.

A big enough weight and you're in trouble with the word "lift", anyway. If it's the dominant local mass, it is what lifting against or falling towards is referenced *against*!

Chris.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 9:36am
When an irresistible force hits an immoveable object the rest of the universe is moved, or at least whatever the force is anchored to does.

Compared to relativity doing these old riddles is very easy.

God can lift an infinitely heavy object because the world can be moved down rather than the object being lifted.

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 12:01pm
Emettman
Quote That is a mere linguistic anomaly, not any sort of philosophical paradox.
I would not necessarily agree. The problem Lawson is addressing is "infinity" here disguised in the form of almighty (= infinite power).
The case you mention is two infinities fighting each other: An irresistible (= infinite ) force acting against an immovable object  (infinite mass). One could naively answer: It is the one that is "more infinite" that wins. Sure, what characterizes infinity is just that you can never get there in the first place. Therefore I rather see it as a mathematical problem but I agree that the borderline is thin. As it seems even the mathematicians/philosophers can't really agree on the subject: Cantor.
Interestingly enough there are different levels of infinity (see  Aleph)

In my eyes it is already the construction of an almighty God itself that leads to contradictions. I tried to lay that out in this:  Almighty God but with little resonance.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 03 February 2015 at 12:13pm
Emettman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emettman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2015 at 12:47am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Emettman
Quote That is a mere linguistic anomaly, not any sort of philosophical paradox.

I would not necessarily agree. The problem Lawson is addressing is "infinity" here disguised in the form of almighty (= infinite power).

Yes, I should have avoided the "mere", though this and related situations are those where ordinary language does not serve very well as the extremes of very small, very large and very detailed are approached.

Quote    Sure, what characterizes infinity is just that you can never get there in the first place...
Therefore I rather see it as a mathematical problem but I agree that the borderline is thin...
Interestingly enough there are different levels of infinity

Yes, this hurts the brain (and language) trained for and experienced in more "reasonable" numbers (a separate comforting illusion, there being an infinity of numbers between one and two.)
Mathematics does indeed do better, and getting a room in Hilbert's hotel is fun, even if you are going to annoy an infinite number of people.

But as technical jargon (no negative sense implied) mathematics of significant depth requires extra knowledge for its proper comprehension. Without that it becomes a "foreign language" and yet one from which terms and concepts can be borrowed, or stolen from their legitimate contexts without proper understanding of their meaning. And waved around in triumph, on occasion.

])In my eyes it is already the construction of an almighty God itself that leads to contradictions. I tried to lay that out in this:� Almighty God but with little resonance.Airmano

Yes, I can follow your argument there, and see how others have not fully responded to it.

The free will/predestination debate has rattled down the centuries with no adequate resolution in a universe held to involve an omnipotent deity.
In a wonderful(?) phrase I found in a commentary "the two are to be held in a constructive tension".
(which I tend to read as "they don't fit together, but if you use enough baling wire that doesn't show up too badly.")

Chris
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2015 at 2:36am
Emettman:
Quote getting a room in Hilbert's hotel is fun, even if you are going to annoy an infinite number of people
I like this one !

-----------------------------
Than
Quote "...the two are to be held in a constructive tension"
Yes this is where "wise men" are good in: Putting a lot of words around a "I don't know" without admitting it.
It's a bit like the French cuisine: Well sounding dishes where only the cook may know what you finally get on your plate.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 06 February 2015 at 2:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic