IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Death Penalty for Apostates  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Penalty for Apostates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death Penalty for Apostates
    Posted: 27 January 2015 at 8:46am
According to a Pew Forum survey in 2013, a clear majority of Muslims in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia believe that according to sharia law anyone who leaves Islam should be killed.  Many Muslim countries have the death penalty for apostates in their civil law; and even in those that don't, an apostate's life is often threatened by mob violence.

This contrasts sharply with other parts of the world, notably North America, where hardly any Muslims would want apostates to be killed.  They believe that apostasy is to be punished only by Allah, not in this life but in the afterlife.

So who is right, and why the disagreement?

The Quran is open to interpretation on the question.  There is the infamous verse an-Nisa 4:89, which says of hypocrites: "They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper."  However, there is plenty of "wiggle room", both in the surrounding verses which carve out exceptions for those who seek alliances or friendship with Muslims, etc., as well as the claim that this is a historical reference to a particular situation and not generally applicable.

Quran 2:256 is often quoted in response: "Let there be no compulsion in religion."  That could be regarded as forbidding the use of threats to coerce a Muslim not to leave Islam -- but if that is so, then surely Allah Himself violates this by threatening ex-Muslims and non-Muslims in general with the fires of hell.

More importantly for this discussion, 2:256 has no relevance to those who have already left Islam.  Apostasy is an unforgivable crime, so there is no question of compelling a conversion back to Islam with a promise to forgive the apostate.  Even if he reverts to Islam, he is still guilty of apostasy and still liable for the punishment.

Then there is Quran verse 5:32: "For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind."  Unfortunately, as the verse says, it is a decree for the Children of Israel, not for Muslims; and besides, surely apostasy is the most egregious corruption possible -- so it is doubly inapplicable.

The hadith are a different matter.  There are several hadith that clearly state the penalty for apostasy.  Two examples:

From Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 260:
Narrated Ikrima: Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn 'Abbas, who said, "Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, 'Don't punish (anybody) with Allah's Punishment.' No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' "

From Sahih Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 89, Number 271:
Narrated Abu Musa: A man embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism. Mu'adh bin Jabal came and saw the man with Abu Musa. Mu'adh asked, "What is wrong with this (man)?" Abu Musa replied, "He embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism." Mu'adh said, "I will not sit down unless you kill him (as it is) the verdict of Allah and His Apostle."

It doesn't get more explicit than that.  If there is any doubt about how to interpret an-Nisa 4:89, IMHO these hadith should decide it.

=========
Given the above, the conclusion seems inescapable to me.  If you accept the authenticity and authority of the Bukhari hadith, then you must accept Muhammad's judgement that apostates are to be put to death.  Otherwise, you must assume either that he didn't say it (questioning the authenticity), or that the hadith are not binding on Muslims today (questioning the authority).

Which is it?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 10:06am
Actually there are differences of opinion within the four Madhabs or schools of thought. Some are in favour of the death penalty whilst others are not.

It is true that apostates were killed during the time of the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) this is because Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala wanted to establish the religion. This was not possible if people were converting then turned back on their heels.

My own belief is that apostates should not be killed because as you have stated there is not compulsion in religion and only Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala has the power to be the jury and executioner. Also there is a chance that after his/her apostasy the person may come back to the deen in the future and only Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala knows a person's heart.

Those who kill other people for apostasy are committing murder.
Allahu Alum!
La Ilaha IllAllah
Emettman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emettman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 2:11pm
It is certainly easier to find, on-line, articles on Islamic sites defending or promoting punishment for apostates, up to and including the death penalty, than it is to find articles speaking against such, and praising true freedom of religion.

For example from
http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/contemporary-issues/islamic-themes/413125.html

By Yusuf Al-Qaradawi
excerpt:
"...That is why the Muslim jurists are unanimous that apostates must be punished, yet they differ as to determining the kind of punishment to be inflicted upon them. The majority of them, including the four main schools of jurisprudence (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi`i, and Hanbali) as well as the other four schools of jurisprudence (the four Shiite schools of Az-Zaidiyyah, Al-Ithna-`ashriyyah, Al-Ja`fariyyah, and Az-Zaheriyyah) agree that apostates must be executed."

As far as I canobserve, this is seen by many Muslims as a normal and mainstream stance within Islam, though the consensus is not monolithic, uniform.

Chris
Emettman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emettman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2015 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

It is true that apostates were killed during the time of the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) this is because Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala wanted to establish the religion. This was not possible if people were converting then turned back on their heels.

I don't see how this is morally different from Protestants executing Catholics and Catholics executing Protestants (and both burned Anabaptists) during Europe's wars of religion.
And pretty much all on every side were certain theirs was the one true faith and that this was God's will and command there, too.

Thus does certainty tend to claim exemption from caution, moderation and restraint.
And absolute belief in divine authority and sanction proceeds to licence... well, absolutely anything.

My own belief is that apostates should not be killed because as you have stated there is not compulsion in religion...

So jail-time, denial of normal rights or other punishment would not be considered "compulsion"?
Then water-boarding isn't torture either: it's just "persuasion."

Punishing apostates is found in many religions (not all) and is a mark of tribal or group control "to encourage the others"
Of course it is done with the "honourable" aim of "preserving and growing the true belief". It's just that there's no consensus on what that is, except within any particular grouping.
Anyone departing from "the truth" must be one enamoured of or caught by "lies", obviously, and hence removed from contact with the community lest this "contamination" spread. Not the slightest possibility of their decision having been the correct one must even be allowed to arise.
This, whatever the beliefs of the local religious (or indeed sometimes secular) gate-keepers of orthodoxy.

Me, yes I am an apostate, but not from Islam.
I changed my beliefs. Shock, horror. "Burn him!"
(No, that only four or five hundred years ago, where I live.)

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" John Maynard Keynes.
And what I had been given and taught as facts, had accepted and believed and tried to live out, turned out not to be solid unshakable facts at all.
That's why I highly recommend doubt. I suggest that there's manifestly not enough of it about.

Chris
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2015 at 2:15am
You guys should read ch 4 v 137 of Quran.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2015 at 3:05am
Naba
Quote You guys should read ch 4 v 137 of Quran
Seems that in the "Clear Book" you can find whatever you need to defend your individual point of view.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 28 January 2015 at 6:01am
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2015 at 5:05am
Originally posted by NABA NABA wrote:

I agree that the Quran says there is no compulsion in religion. I am not sure if Muhammad always followed the Quran's advice, however.

Are you aware of his letter to the Julanda brothers of Oman?

The Letter of the Prophet Mohammad to the People of Oman

This letter marked a turning point in the history of Oman. Omanis willingly accepted the Prophet Muhammad�s call to Islam, after which they actively participated in strengthening the pillars of the developing Islamic state and in spreading the message of Islam to new regions.

The Prophet's companion, 'Amr bin Al 'Aas, carried the letter to the two brothers, Jaifar and �Abd, sons of Al Julanda, the joint rulers of Oman at the time. Sources do not agree, however, on the exact year in which the letter was delivered. According to one historical source, the letter was presented after the Peace Treaty of Hudaybiyyah in the sixth year of Al Hijra. Another source suggests that the letter was sent after Hajjat Al Wada', or the Farewell Pilgrimage. Despite the debate over the precise dating of the letter, most sources agree that it was sent after Fat'h Mecca, the Conquest of Mecca, in the eighth year of Al Hijra.

The letter reads as follows:

In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

From Muhammad, Messenger of God, to Jaifar and 'Abd, sons of al-Julanda, and may peace be upon those who follow God's guidance.

To proceed, I invite you both to Islam; accept Islam and you will attain salvation, for I am God's Messenger to all mankind so that I may warn those who are alive and establish (God's) word over the unbelievers. If you declare your Islam I will appoint you both as governors [of your lands], but if you refuse then (know that) your dominion is only fleeting, and my horsemen will dismount in your courtyard, and my Prophethood will prevail over your dominion.

Omani World Heritage Sites

The Julanda brothers of Oman were threatened by Muhammad that if they did not convert to Islam, their lands would be invaded.
Emettman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emettman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2015 at 6:06am
Originally posted by NABA NABA wrote:

"(136) Lo! those who believe, then disbelieve and then (again) believe, then disbelieve, and then increase in disbelief, Allah will never pardon them, nor will He guide them unto a way. (137) Bear unto the hypocrites the tidings that for them there is a painful doom; "

This helps how?
I've been told I've got it wrong and I'm heading for a "painful doom" by several religions that do not agree with each other, and which would mostly say that adherents of these other religions are also heading for a variety of painful dooms.
You think your faith is undoubtedly the correct one?
Well they do to, for theirs. That's how faith works.

On the death penalty? The verse and those nearby don't appear to speak.

I don't believe the Quran is of divine origin, so quoting such to me (As Christians often do the bible, similarly)provides no solid argument. This chapter, Sura, is one I might go if I should need to assure myself of the lack of divine origin and lack of unchanging perfect message that is revealed in the text.

You will believe differently, as is your right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic