IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - JE SUIS CHARLIE  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JE SUIS CHARLIE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2015 at 10:22am
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

1- Fired not murdered.
Correct, and I agree that murder was wrong and unjustified and I stated that. Now, how come a cartoonist who insults Jews get fired as a punishment so no one will repeat such a mistake. While the one who insults Muslims does not get fired, instead get a pat on the back to say the least.

We'd have to look at the specific cartoons, but I'm betting the Jewish cartoon was based on a lie (i.e., one of the many false stereotypes or conspiracy theories about Jews), whereas the Muslim cartoon was not.

Anyway, this is a private decision made by the publisher, who is allowed to publish whatever he likes, and to fire those who don't abide by his editorial policies.  If he wants to attack Muslims and not Jews, that is his prerogative -- as long as he does not spread malicious lies and does not advocate or incite violence.

Quote 2- In answer to my comment that it is a crime to question or deny the holocaust you said: "Because it's a lie. Freedom of speech does not include the freedom to tell lies." I am not sure what you mean that it is a lie? Let me get this straight, a group of people who in order to get a better understanding, want to investigate or look deeper into the history of holocaust, you are calling it "a lie"?

You are more than welcome to investigate and look deeper into the history of the Holocaust in order to get a better understanding.  You are not allowed to claim that the Holocaust never happened, and/or that it is all a vast international Jewish conspiracy to rule the world, because those are malicious lies.

Quote It is like making investigation or further study of the Kennedy murder case illegal! You know that is a shame. People study all sorts of past world events to know better the facts. Why is this one off limit? Is there anything that worries them that might come out to be different than what the world has been told? I cannot believe it is coming out of your mouth Ron.

(By "the Kennedy murder case" I assume you mean the assasination of John F. Kennedy?)  I share your concern about "this one off limit", but Holocaust denial is something of a "one-off" situation.  It is the only major conspiracy theory I can think of whose main purpose seems to be to incite hatred against a minority.  I don't see how anyone is threatened by crackpot theories about the JFK assasination.  They are ridiculous, but not dangerous.

Quote 3-On the Queen and Royal family insults, I could not get a verification of my claim, but did the Royal family not sue the newspaper that published Kate's topless photos?

This has nothing to do with her being royalty.  If they published topless pictures of my wife, we'd probably sue too.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Isn't it amazing that the US drones kills hundreds of people in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen etc on a daily basis and then a white European is killed and the whole world is up in arms? Yes it truly is amazing.

The drones target murderers, who hide behind innocent civilians. The Paris assassins targeted journalists, abiding by French law, exercising their right to free expression. A dead person will always be a million times worse than a million insults.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 5:20am
You are more than welcome to investigate and look deeper into the history of the Holocaust in order to get a better understanding.  You are not allowed to claim that the Holocaust never happened, and/or that it is all a vast international Jewish conspiracy to rule the world, because those are malicious lies.

Should you manage to find that all the evidence that there was a mass killing of millions of Jews by the Nazi state you would be able them to deny that it happened. Obviously there is utterly overwhelming evidence that it did happen.
Emettman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emettman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2015 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by aka2x2 aka2x2 wrote:

As a Muslim:

1) I am offended by insults to Prophet Mohammad or any other Prophet.
2) I am more offended by the murder of innocent people (including a Muslim policeman), in the name of Islam.

I AM NOT CHARLIE, nor do I stand with the magazine. However, I do stand for their right to free speech, even if it offends me.

Good for you.
I hold a similar position, from a different starting position on what is offensive.

I also see no reason to give offence or insult when any comment or point could have been made equally well without it. That's mere bad manners and ineffective use of language, both.

Chris
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2015 at 1:07pm
"Je suis Charlie" does not mean you agree with their cartoons or their editorial policy.  It means, as Voltaire is often quoted as saying (but was actually written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall), "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Or as Noam Chomsky put it: "If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for views you don�t like. Goebbels was in favor of freedom of speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you�re in favor of freedom of speech, that means you�re in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise."

Edited by Ron Webb - 25 January 2015 at 1:13pm
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by aka2x2 aka2x2 wrote:

As a Muslim:

1) I am offended by insults to Prophet Mohammad or any other Prophet.
2) I am more offended by the murder of innocent people (including a Muslim policeman), in the name of Islam.

I AM NOT CHARLIE, nor do I stand with the magazine. However, I do stand for their right to free speech, even if it offends me.

Very well said!

Please make sure (as far as you can) that this sentiment is the one which comes out of the Muslim community. The words of the Muslim council on the TV the other night were guaranteed to achieve the winding up of the freedom loving majority population of Britain.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic