IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wearing hijab before converting  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wearing hijab before converting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wearing hijab before converting
    Posted: 29 December 2014 at 12:26pm
Is it not good to wear hijab before converting to Muslim?
Eshai View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eshai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2015 at 7:06am
I think it is fine.

The hijab is merely a covering which has become associated with Islam. It is a means of achieving modesty. I don't think it is inherently meant to be a symbol of being Muslim (though this is what is has become). Modesty itself is more important than the style of the covering. I highly doubt you would offend anyone by wanting to dress modestly, whatever your religion.
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2015 at 10:51am
The first requirement to enter paradise is faith in one Allah, Allah in ch 103 v 1-4 of Quran says with token of time man is in state of loss except thosewho have faith, good deeds, resorting people to truth, resorting people to ppatience and perseverance.first revert then follow Quran, if you are convinced 100% about islam please don't waste a second in reverting.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2015 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Eshai Eshai wrote:

The hijab is merely a covering which has become associated with Islam. It is a means of achieving modesty. I don't think it is inherently meant to be a symbol of being Muslim (though this is what is has become). Modesty itself is more important than the style of the covering.

Thanks for posting this, Eshal.  May I ask if you are a Muslim?  I've been arguing for years that the Quran only asks women to dress modestly and does not prescribe a specific attire, but as a non-Muslim my opinions obviously aren't worth much.  It's nice to hear it from a Muslim (assume you are one).
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
abc 123 View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abc 123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2015 at 11:21am

you have my vote, go for it.

By the way, have you noticed how women of the church (nuns per say) are pretty much veiled in there dress cod? And how the bride is given away to the groom, veiled in church?
Recently, I've seen a sect in Judaism where there women are dressed exactly like Muslim women in black attire\"Abaya".

The point is, "Decency" - particularly in female - is in human nature. And God's teachings, logically, are to meet and go with the nature and instincts of his creation.

That is why, to a great deal, Islam is THE religion of God, for in pervious messages of his, followers have deviated from the original teachings.

Edited by abc 123 - 07 January 2015 at 11:24am
ProudSlave View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2015 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by abc 123 abc 123 wrote:

you have my vote, go for it.

By the way, have you noticed how women of the church (nuns per say) are pretty much veiled in there dress cod? And how the bride is given away to the groom, veiled in church?
Recently, I've seen a sect in Judaism where there women are dressed exactly like Muslim women in black attire\"Abaya".

The point is, "Decency" - particularly in female - is in human nature. And God's teachings, logically, are to meet and go with the nature and instincts of his creation.

That is why, to a great deal, Islam is THE religion of God, for in pervious messages of his, followers have deviated from the original teachings.

Another example would be the Amish :-)

In my youth, I was growing some dreadlocks and had someone try to tell me that unless I was a practicing Rastafarian, it was disrespectful to their faith/culture. The person saying this was NOT A Rasta. I considered it quite silly. The fact is - it's YOUR head, you could wear a chicken on top of it if you felt so inclined :-) Just don't be surprised when people do mistake you for a Muslim, if you choose to wear a hijab, and greet you as such.

Plus, if you are choosing to wear one out of modesty and not fashion, (imo) you're already moving in a good direction :-)
Matt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2015 at 6:04am

Few nuns wear a veil and not all wear a habit. Those that do wear a habit do it to demonstrate that they are separate from the rest of society. Is that what you want for muslim women? Few brides in the west wear a veil now. Those that do, do it out of tradition only, in the same way that they tend to wear white even if they aren't virgins.

The point is, "Decency" - particularly in female - is in human nature.

If by "Decency" you mean wearing clothes that hide the body, there is no evidence it is human nature. Certainly the examples you gave are not evidence in favour of it, as I have demonstrated. But, of course, there is lots of evidence that it is not human nature. For example, aboriginal peoples all over the world tend not to hide their bodies.

The urge to hide the human body is clearly a cultural construct. No baby comes out of the womb embarrassed by its nudity.

And God's teachings, logically, are to meet and go with the nature and instincts of his creation.

Some muslims will hear you say "nature is obviously a mirror of Islam and, therefore, Islam is obviously true" and they will eagerly assent. Some muslims and all non-muslims will hear you say "And God's teachings, logically, are to meet and go with the nature and instincts of his creation. That is why, to a great deal, Islam is THE religion of God, for in pervious messages of his, followers have deviated from the original teachings." And their response will be "that is vacuous, circular and essentially meaningless."
Quran Classes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quran Classes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2015 at 12:01pm
Asalamu alikum sister,

Welcome to Islam my dear. I am so glad you came to ask here.

You dont have to immediately wear the hijab, first tell your parents, give them some time. Then when you are really comfortable do it. This is not something you rush, because once you wear its a commitment. You get comfortable by knowing that you are following Allah's commandments and letting other sisters know that you are a fellow muslim ah- which will make your life a whole lot easier.

All the best my dear, I know its scary to tell them...I remember telling my parents i wanted to wear the hijab and they freaked out! So i know. But hang in there, and know that Allah will make it easy if you are doing it for him. Make lots of dua and just do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic