IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question about marriage...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about marriage...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnadeem662 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about marriage...
    Posted: 11 December 2005 at 2:51pm
Is it required in Islam to get married, I read somewhere that it was not but I wanted to make sure. Also, is it also required to have children?
Mnadeem662 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnadeem662 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2005 at 2:53pm
(Just choosing the notify me of replies box)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2005 at 3:00pm

Bismillah,

The saying is that marriage is half of our religion, and it completes our faith.  But just as divorce is the most hated of the allowed things, it IS allowed.  Of course it is allowed to not marry.  (And if you do, Ummziba posted a list of great questions here on this discussion forum for your intended and you to consider before taking the plunge.)

To not have children is something that is very debateable depending on your school of thought, or just your point of view.  Some people don't believe in birth control at all and consider it haram, forbidden.  Others think it's okay depending on your motivations.  The most agreed upon acceptable reason is for the health of the mother. 

Many people argue against birth control for the sake of poverty.  They say it is a lack of faith and that Allah, SWT, will provide as he deems appropriate.

I think that to not have children for your own personal reasons is fine.  But I feel that birth control, especially abortion used as birth control, can be overused for the sake of wealth.  You never know how much joy and understanding of the world a child can bring to you until you experience it.  And that is a lifetime because they take that long to raise.

Having children isn't what I expected it would be like, but it is a wonderful, terrible, encompassing thing that I would not change for myself.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 8:46pm
I think it is better as a woman to stay with your family, get an education and wait for a very good and humble man. I would rather not be married than marry someone who would make me unhappy. Sisters need to be more choosey. I have a friend who is Pakistani and was living in Texas. She was around 35, very shy and still not married. She lived alone and had a career. There was an American man who was interested in Islam that knew her from work. He started asking about her the more he got into Islam. She told him she could not discuss maraige until he converted. When he did they got engaged. Everyone was shocked that she was marrying an American convert. But her family grew to love him. Now Mashalla they have a 3 year old daughter and are very happy. My point is she never met a guy before that was right. She waited and the right one came along. Even if he didn't she told me she would have been fine alone. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Sundas View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sundas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 8:09am

i have read some where, im sorry i can not tell exactly where because i dont rememeber, but i read that you can not have your "death prayer" unless you were married during your life"

and having children... that is in the hands of Allah (swt)

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2005 at 6:11am

As salamu alaikum,

By "death prayer" do you mean salatul-janaza????  If so, this prayer is one of the obligatory prayers ("fard kifaya" to be exact); so, whether or not the deceased had been married has nothing to do with the offering of this salat.

As far as marriage being required........  To never marry would be against human nature.   But there's no harm in waiting for the right person (but just keep in mind that the perfect person doesn't exist).   

Salaam

no.shirk View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.shirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 4:26pm

Narrated `Abdullah: We were with the Prophet (sws) while we were young and had no wealth whatever. So Allah's Apostle said, "O young people! Whoever among you can marry, should marry,because it helps him lower his gaze and guard his modesty

(i.e. his private parts from committing illegal sexual intercourse etc.)

, and whoever is not able to marry, should fast, as fasting diminishes his sexual power."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic