IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Turkish politics: holding down the Sectarian lid  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish politics: holding down the Sectarian lid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish politics: holding down the Sectarian lid
    Posted: 30 October 2014 at 12:04pm
I've been very confused recently about the current political situation in Turkey, and which side Turkey supports in the Syrian civil war. So, today I spent an hour reading different websites and I think I've more or less figured Turkey out.

The following analysis ignores Turkish ethnic groups (for example, Arabs) and religious groups (Christian and Jew) which are relatively insignificant in number.

Two basic facts about Turkey:

(1) 80% of Turkish citizens are ethnic Turks, and 20% are ethnic Kurds

(2) 70% of the Turkish population is Sunni, and 30% is Shiite. The Shiites break down into two sub groups: Twelvers (5% of the Turkish population, the same Shiite sect that controls Iran and Iraq) and Alevis (25% of the Turkish population; overall, Alevis are a minor sect in Islam, but make up a sizable minority in Turkey; most members of the Alevis sect live in Turkey)

The overall breakdown of the Turkish people is as follows. I am, of course, speaking in general terms, since none of these groups is absolutely homogeneous in their beliefs.

50% ethnic Turk Sunnis: hate Kurds, so aren't in favour of supporting Syrian Kurds; hate Assad, and want to attack him and his fellow Syrian Alawites; support ISIS because they are fighting Kurds and Alawites; seem indifferent to moderate Syrian Sunnis

25% ethnic Turk Alevis, 5% ethnic Turk Twelvers: apparently, support Assad because he is a fellow Shiite; hate ISIS, moderate Syrian Sunnis, and Syrian Kurds because they are all Sunni

20% ethnic Kurd Sunnis: support Syrian Kurds, hate ISIS and Syrian Alawites because they are attacking Syrian Kurds; consider moderate Syrian Sunnis to be allies

So, overall, 50% of the Turkish people support ISIS, 30% support Assad, and 20% support Syrian Kurds. With such an even split amongst the Turkish people, no wonder the Turkish government is indecisive at the moment.

I'm starting to think that a civil war may be brewing in Turkey, just as it is brewing in Lebanon.

If anyone has any information about what Turkish "Sunni Turks" (half of Turkey's population) think of moderate Sunni Syrians, please post it here. It appears to me that "Sunni Turks" are willing to put up with ISIS slaughtering moderate Sunni Syrians, because ISIS is also slaughtering all Kurds and all Shiites in Syria.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic