IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is Jesus?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is Jesus?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauline35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2006 at 4:41am
Angela wrote:
Let me tell you, I give 10% of my income to my church. Do you know where this money goes? I do. Not to my clergy....My church does not have a paid clergy. Those that serve my church do not receive paychecks or compensation. The money goes to charities, building new church buildings, paying for the utilities, buying new bibles, helping out victims of natural disasters, the food bank, medical care for the needy and there are many others.

By the way, I never said that 10% of salary given as donation was to pay clergy's wages. It is included as donation to sponsor their luxury cars. It happened here in Malaysia. But they were followed blindly by those faithful church-goers. They even set a limit of donation e.g. FROM REV. DR. SAMUEL DOCTORIAN, A lebanese Jew once said, "I HAD MADE SOME CALCULATIONS AND IF EACH ONE OF YOU DONATE AN AMOUNT OF 400 BUCKS, THEN THIS EVENT OF CHARITY WILL COLLECT (400 X 1600 PERSONS) 640,000 BUCKS.

Why set a limit when donations are supposed to be given through sincerity? Perhaps, it is time to use some logics.

TO GOSPELMAP:

If ALLAH brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, praise GOD/ALLAH

Difficult moments, seek God/ALLAH
Quiet moments, worship God/ALLAH
Painful moments, trust God/ALLAH
Every moment, thank God/ALLAH

Edited by pauline35
amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 9:51am

Salam Alaikoam Pauline

I agree with some of what you have mentioned though the way I see it many things can be donated or of service not just money.

Expertise can be a blessing where and when people need it or tutoring or money in some cases.

As for a set amount I agree it should be according to the finacially ability of the donor and not a set amount though if it was a kind world people could donate more than 2o% of their proffit.

Anne Marie Elderkin Habibi

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 10:27am

I look at my 10% as God's money.  I have no right to say he cannot have it.  And because I show my faith, I am blessed.  When I pay tithing, I never want for anything.  If I need help paying rent or getting groceries.  I go to my bishop and it is given.  We are taught to budget and ignore the call for worldly things. 

There are lots of criminals out there. Televangelists and corrupt charities. 

But, God has required sacrifices, if he says you must give 10%, 2%, 100%, then you must give. 

Its a test of faith, if you don't think you can, then you aren't having faith that God will provide. 

Look at Abraham and Isaac.  He demanded his son, and when Abraham obeyed, he provided the ram instead.  Trust in God and everything will work out.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 7:57am
Sister Angela please quench my ignorance on the comment you made regarding "God's money" is it not the ritual of giving Tithes symbolic rather than the thought of a "cut for God?"
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:55am

Tithes are 10% of your gross, in a world where you are compensated in a monetary gain....it is a basic translation into money.  I produce no goods at my business, nor does my husband.  Our gains only come in the form of cash.  If I were a farmer, I could donate a 10th of my flock or grain. 

To him belongs a 10th of my gains.  This is not a cut for God, this is a sacrifice he demands.  This 10th is given to those who need it.  The church administrates the distribution only.  This tenth pays for the free Book of Mormons and the basic maintenance of wards and temples.  But it also goes to feed the poor, cloth the naked and educate the young.  Our church sent $900,000 worth of food, blankets and supplies within days of the earthquake.  We were able to do this because our people already sacrifice daily.  Other churches had to hold special donation drives and fundraisers.  We also fast once a month and further as our personal needs require.  When we fast, the meals we miss, we donate to the poor.  I cannot fast as a diabetic, but I am still required to donate the equivalent meals to the poor.

Because of this, God grants us prosperity and peace.  This is not symbolism, this is action and commitment. 

Sacrificing a burning a lamb would be symbolic, taking your sacrifice and feeding another with it is a deed that can be recorded.

pauline35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauline35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2006 at 5:54am
What kind of GOD is that whom required human as sacrifice for ritual's purpose? Why don't apply some logic into this request by THE GOD? This is a human act for slavishness.

Perhaps, GOD meant THE SON was ANY SUBSTITUTE THAT CAN BE SACRIFICE FOR ITS RITUAL!

Sister Angela, you do not need to tell the whole world what your so-called "CHURCH" has been doing all this while. Every human being would know what to do in the event of any eventuality because we are just SO HUMAN to do so.

Every country had made donations to those unfortunate ones. Needless to say those included the Arab or the Muslim countries too. Some Emir donated on an anonymous status. They didn't tell the whole world what they did and how much had they donated. It is just humanely that they did so out of human touch.

You expressed as if you CHURCH was the only one who had donated some amount for the unfortunate victims. Why do you have to mentioned "how much"? Psychologically, you sound like you are inferior in your inner self.

This is the factual of a hyprocrite's personality.
pauline35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauline35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2006 at 6:08am
Mualakum Salam, forgive me that I am still learning...

amlhabibi2000 wrote:
Expertise can be a blessing where and when people need it or tutoring or money in some cases.

As for a set amount I agree it should be according to the finacially ability of the donor and not a set amount though if it was a kind world people could donate more than 2o% of their proffit.

I say you are right and it is so true that expertise can be a blessing in some cases. My girlfriend is of this example. She is so kind that she voluntered to become a special aide to Palestine's President during the Peace Forum event in Kuala Lumpur recently. It is an honour to have someone like her as confidante whom sacrificed her time and her expertise to aid in that event which held by Former Malaysia's PM (Tun Mahathir).

In return, (as the saying goes, what goes around, what comes around)she had a great opportunity to explore herself whilst voluntering as a special aide to Palestine's President.

This was like a golden opportunity that only happened   once in a lifetime. GOD BLESS HER FOR HER KINDNESS.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2006 at 9:48am

Originally posted by pauline35 pauline35 wrote:

What kind of GOD is that whom required human as sacrifice for ritual's purpose? Why don't apply some logic into this request by THE GOD? This is a human act for slavishness.

Perhaps, GOD meant THE SON was ANY SUBSTITUTE THAT CAN BE SACRIFICE FOR ITS RITUAL!

Sister Angela, you do not need to tell the whole world what your so-called "CHURCH" has been doing all this while. Every human being would know what to do in the event of any eventuality because we are just SO HUMAN to do so.

Every country had made donations to those unfortunate ones. Needless to say those included the Arab or the Muslim countries too. Some Emir donated on an anonymous status. They didn't tell the whole world what they did and how much had they donated. It is just humanely that they did so out of human touch.

You expressed as if you CHURCH was the only one who had donated some amount for the unfortunate victims. Why do you have to mentioned "how much"? Psychologically, you sound like you are inferior in your inner self.

This is the factual of a hyprocrite's personality.

I was not expressing that we were the only, I was expressing to how quickly we were able to act and the preparedness that we have because of our sacrifices.  I was trying to express what can be done when people come together as a cohesive unit and have organization and drive.

I see now that all you can do is tear down the good acts of others because the believe differently than you. 

You don't know me, you don't know the level of my faith.  I personally think your faith is based on a us vs them attitude.  That is not what God wants for his children.  Judgement is for him alone, perhaps you should rethink your attitude before you call me a hypocrite.  I live in line with my beliefs and I am a faithful daughter of God.  A hypocrite speaks of one thing but does another.  That is not me.  You think my faith is weak because I openly talk about the good works of my church.  My faith is not weak, I am just happy to be part of making the world better, rather than calling some woman who lives half way around the world names when I don't know her.

Before you judge my church as filled with hypocrites and evil doers, perhaps you should know more about us as a people.  Talk to Jenni or Herjihad, both Mormon sisters who converted to Islam.  But, both left the church at young ages and never went to temple.  If you won't talk to them.  Here's a couple of websites.

http://www.lds.org (Official Site)

http://www.mormon.org (FAQ Site)

http://www.of-worth.com (Site on Women in our Faith)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic