IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam and Ethics  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and Ethics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and Ethics
    Posted: 07 December 2005 at 8:24am
Simple question, what does Islamic teaching say about ltruistic agnostics? Or what does it say about people who have no spiritual or religious belief yet are good people?
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2005 at 11:31am
itruistic agnostics....i am ignorant of this concept please explain to me what it exactly means.

Edited by Community
sufi_observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sufi_observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2005 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by Nima Nima wrote:

Simple question, what does Islamic teaching say about ltruistic agnostics? Or what does it say about people who have no spiritual or religious belief yet are good people?

An agnostic does in fact have "spiritual" or even "religious" beliefs. I have even met atheists who insist they have "spiritual" beliefs.

If a person is altruistic it means they have a strong concept of what is morally correct. That in and of itself, it could be argued, is a spiritual belief.

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 2:17am

Nima, these ayaat (verses) should answer your question.

Allah ta'la says:

18:103 Say: "Shall we tell you of those who lose most in respect of their deeds?-

18:104 "Those whose efforts have been wasted in this life, while they thought that they were acquiring good by their works?"

18:105 They are those who deny the Signs of their Lord and the fact of their having to meet Him (in the Hereafter): vain will be their works, nor shall We, on the Day of Judgment, give them any weight.

18:106 That is their reward, Hell, because they rejected Faith, and took My Signs and My Messengers by way of jest.

Sadaqa allahu aladheem
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 3:23am

The matter is wether someone believes in Allah or not.

"5:119 Allah said : "This is the day on which the truthful will profit from their truthfulness: theirrs are gardens, with rivers flowing beneath,- abiding in it: Allah is pleased over them, and they are pleased with him. That is the great filicity.

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 11:10am
Very well done to sis Abeer23 for providing very appropriate verses from Quran; direct to the point of question. However, one may also realize that when Allah says "18:106 That is their reward, Hell, because they rejected Faith, and took My Signs and My Messengers by way of jest. " One must be carefull in differentiating the one who "rejected by way of jest" from those who still do the same but have "not rejected" and keep doing it because of ignorance of the message of Allah and thereby remained ignorant of His signs and messangers. It is altogather a different issue as how ignorance could prevail among them even in today's digital world, but ofcourse only God knows this better than any human brain. Think about it.
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 11:34am

How do you conclude these verses where "direct to the point of the question"?

I did not hear Nima say wether a person who is an "truistic agnostic" has faith in The One God or not....

Nima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 5:51pm

I don't think many of you understand what agnostic means nor does the Qur'an specifically address agnosticism. Agnosticism basically is someone who does no deny nor advocate the belief in God. An agnostic does not reject God but does not advocate the existence of God either, its sort of like the wanderer in the sense. Now as for the typo in my original post its mant to say 'Altruism' which is a person who is inherently good or does good deeds. Now an agnostic does not reject God or the signs of Allah perhaps an Agnostic hasn't reached an area of spirituality. When religionist experience God its to my understanding that its an ability to open up the sensations of the human who, in reality experiences everything beyond their own natural senses. For examples a spiritual person will see abstract things in nature, paintings etc.

How does the Qur'an address this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic