IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to live as Muslim?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to live as Muslim?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote historygeek1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to live as Muslim?
    Posted: 15 September 2014 at 2:52pm
I am converting to Islam and I have some questions.

After I testify (Shahada) is there anything more I MUST do? I heard I should take a shower but do I really have to? I know I must pray 5 times a day and I will but is there anything more than praying? I know what I can and cannot eat I think. Is there specific clothes I must wear or anything else than what Iv'e mentioned to live as a (Sunni) Muslim? THANK YOU!

Another question that is not as important, is it true that other denominations of Islam require you to life different lives or is the only difference in theology?

Thank you.

I also need to learn prayer and if you can help me with that please do so as I am lost when it comes to prayer....
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2014 at 9:10pm
As-salaam alaikum. First, let me congratulate you on converting to Islam! All praise is due to Allah!

Once you take the Shahadah, and you believe it sincerely, you are a Muslim. From that point on, you have to do all the things that a Muslim should do, such as the prayers and reading the Quran. You need to also familiarize yourself with the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). If you can, you should also find a mosque near you.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2014 at 11:36pm
Assalamalecum,thank Allah for showing you straight path, after giving shahadah you should live life as per Quran and Sunnah, first visit mosque to understand Quran and learn suras,for eg Allah in many places in Quran says recite the revelation,so u must read Quran daily.moreover there is no sects in islam.Allah in ch 3 v 103 of Quran says Allah had bestowed a rope (Quran) on mankind and asked us to hold it together and be not divided.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2014 at 6:35am
Originally posted by historygeek1 historygeek1 wrote:

I am converting to Islam and I have some questions.

After I testify (Shahada) is there anything more I MUST do? I heard I should take a shower but do I really have to?

Asalaamu Alaikum

Yes the first step in becoming a Muslim is to utter the Shahada. You must utter the words "Ashadhu anla ilaha Illallah wa Ashadhu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasooluhu".

The meaning of this is "I testify that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is His slave and messenger". At the same time you must believe in your heart what you are saying (you are not just paying lip service).

After uttering the Shahada it is important that you purify yourself by performing Ghusl (ritual washing) this is because you are as it were shedding your old sinful skin and becoming a new person pleasing to Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. BTW you can google how to perform ghusl.

I know I must pray 5 times a day and I will but is there anything more than praying?

Prayer is one of the most important pillars of Islam. Prayer makes you stand apart from the crowd in that it will make you a believer. Once you start praying you will have an invisible mark you from performing ablution and from prostration. On the Day of Resurrection, the Angels will notice you as a believer.

It is very important that you pray on time at the stipulated times. Google a masjid near you and find the prayer times.

As you are a new Muslim then satan will work overtime in trying to dissuade you from doing these things. For example, he will try his best to not let you wake up for Fajr which is the dawn prayer and then he will put doubts in your head. For example, if your friends and family give you a hard time then you may think that this is not worth it and give up.

Don't forget being a Muslim being submissive to your Creator and Islam is the only religion acceptable to Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. Islam is the only religion prescribed for mankind even from the time of Adam and Eve (Sallautl Alayhi Salaam).

I know what I can and cannot eat I think. Is there specific clothes I must wear or anything else than what Iv'e mentioned to live as a (Sunni) Muslim? THANK YOU!

To begin with stay away from pig related foods, then once you learn more about Islam then you will know what is halal and what is harm.

Another question that is not as important, is it true that other denominations of Islam require you to life different lives or is the only difference in theology?

I suppose your question here relates to the Shi'a Muslims. In short, they have strayed from the True religion and they praise Ali (RA) more than the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).

Thank you.

I also need to learn prayer and if you can help me with that please do so as I am lost when it comes to prayer....

Again google it and you will have a lot of sites where you can find help in how to pray.

To begin with, just learn two short surah's for praying so I recommend surah Al Kawther and surah Ikhlas.

Salaam
La Ilaha IllAllah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic