IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Pillars of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Witr Prayer  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Witr Prayer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Witr Prayer
    Posted: 29 March 2005 at 6:25pm
I just found out that this prayer existed but can't find any information on it.  Can someone provide a link with the exact words within the prayer are and how many rakaas are included and any other needed information.  This is a prayer I would like to perform.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 7:08pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Originally posted by Knowledge01 Knowledge01 wrote:

I just found out that this prayer existed but can't find any information on it.  Can someone provide a link with the exact words within the prayer are and how many rakaas are included and any other needed information.  This is a prayer I would like to perform.

THE WITR PRAYER

1. Witr prayer is wajib. The status of wajib is very close to that of fard. To leave out a wajib is a major sin. If a wajib is missed out, one should make qada of it as soon as possible.

2. Witr prayer comprises of three rakaats. After offering two rakaats, one should sit down and read the at-tahiyyaat. The durood should not be read. Instead, one should immediately stand up after the at-tahiyyaat. One should then read the Surah Faatihah and another Surah. Thereafter, one should say Allahu Akbar and raise one�s hands upto one�s ears (and upto the shoulders if it is a woman). The hands should be clasped again, and thereafter, the dua-e-qunoot should be recited. Thereafter, he should go into ruku, complete the third rakaat, sit down for at-tahiyyaat, durood, and a dua and then make the salaam.

3. The dua-e-qunoot is as follows:

[the dua]

All�humma inn� nasta-'�nuka wa nas-taghfiruka wa nu�minu bika wa nuthn� alaykal khayr, wa nashkuruka wal� nakfuruka wanakhla'u wa nat-ruku may yafjuruk, All�humma�iyy�ka na'budu wa laka nusall� wa nasjudu wa ilayka nas-'� wa nahfidu wa naksh� 'adh�baka wa narj� rahmataka inn� 'adh�bak al-jidda bil-kuff�ri mul-hiq.

O All�h, I seek help from You, ask forgiveness from You, and believe in You and praise You for all the good things and are grateful to You and we part and break off with all those who disobedient to You. O All�h, You alone do we worship and pray exclusively to You and bow before You alone and we hasten eagerly towards You and fear Your severe punishment and hope for Your mercy, for Your severe punishment is surely to be meted out to the disbelievers.

4. After the Surah Faatihah, another Surah should also be recited in all the three rakaats of witr prayer as has been mentioned above.

5. If a person forgets to recite dua-e-qunoot in the third rakaat, and remembers it when he goes into ruku, he should not recite it now. Instead, he should make the forgetfulness prostration at the end of his prayer. If a person reads the dua-e-qunoot after standing up from ruku, even then his prayer will be valid, but it is preferable not to do so. In any case, it will still be wajib on him to make the forgetfulness prostration.

6. If a person forgetfully reads dua-e-qunoot in the first or second rakaat, this is not considered. He will still have to recite it in the third rakaat and also make the forgetfulness prostration.

7. If a person does not know the dua-e-qunoot, he should recite the following dua: [f: any short dua]

Note: This prayer is prayed after the Isha prayer.

Edited by Nausheen
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 7:20pm

As salaam alaikum,

Thank you for providing that but I will need more answers because I don't know some of the erms.

What is durood and at-tahiyyaat?

When you say "this prayer should be offered after the Isha prayer", do you mean IMMEDIATELY after or anytime after, between Isha and Fajr prayers?

What is the "salaam"?

Edited by Knowledge01
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:25am

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

I m so sorry, I did not realize there were some technical terminology in the posts above.

Insha allah i will come back with detailed answers.

As for the time of witr, it can be performed anytime between Isha and Fajr, but after offering the Isha prayer.

Those who offer Tahajjud regularly, prefer to offer witr after Tahajjud.

Darood is the salams to the prophet

At-tahhyyat is the tashahhud.

and salams is the turning of head to right and left in the two shoulders to say assalamualikum wa rahmatullah .... or other variations of this.

Insha allah.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

Edited by Nausheen

[/COLOR]
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:44am

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Sister Nausheen,

Sister,congratulations!,you are going on the way of being the mother of fiqh:)));very nice nice name for you,Jazak Allah Khair for your kind works,efforts on the new muslims...Wa Salaam...

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 5:04pm

As salaam alaikum,

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

What is durood and at-tahiyyaat?,

Darood, or Darood Shareef, is the Farsi term for salat-o-salam on the prophet(SAW) meaning thereby, sending of peace and blessings on the prophet.

There are several forms of darood, however whithin our five daily prayers we say the following words:

Allahumma salli ala sayyidina muhammadin wa ala aale sayyidina muhammadin kama sallaita ala ibrahima, wa ala ali ibrahima innaka hamidum majeed.Allahumma barik ala sayyidina muhammadin wa ala ale sayyidina muhammadin kama barakta ala ibrahima wa ala ali ibrahima innaka hamidum majeed.

O Allah send your Mercy on our master Muhammad and his posterity as you sent Your mercy on Abraham and his posterity. You are the Most Praised, The Most Glorious. O Allah, send your Blessings on our master Muhammad and his posterity as you have blessed Abraham and his posterity. You are the Most praised, The Most Glorious".

If you have learnt the method for offering the daily prayersm you may know we send blessings on the prophet(SAW) in the end of the prayer, ie in the final sitting.

At-tahhiyat, or the tashahhud, is pronounced in the final sitting of all prayers. However, if we are offering a 4 rakat or 3 rakat prayer, then an additional sitting is required after two rakat. In this sitting as well the tashahhud is pronounced.

The words are as follows:

at-tahhyiyatu lillahi was salawatu wat tayyibatu assalamu alaika ayyihan nabbiyu wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu, assalamu alaina wa ala ibadil lahis saliheen. Ash-hadu anna la ilaha illallah wa ash hadu anna muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluhu.

All our oral, physical and monetary ways of worship are only for Allah.
Peace, mercy and blessing of Allah be on you, O Prophet. May peace be upon us and on the devout slaves of Allah. I testify that there is no God but Allah and I testify that Muhammad is His slave and messenger.

When you say "this prayer should be offered after the Isha prayer", do you mean IMMEDIATELY after or anytime after, between Isha and Fajr prayers?

generally the isha prayer is completed with the witr ... i do this, because i do not offer tahajjud regularly. However those who are regular in tahajjud, they offer witr after their tahajjud.

Witr may be offered anytime before fajr, but after the isha prayer.

What is the "salaam"?

The prayer is completed by saying "assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu" while turnign the face, first towards the right shoulder, and then towards the left shoulder.

I hope this answers most of your concerns.

if you have a book telling you how to offer prayer, or know someone who can demonstrate it to you, it will be easier to comprehend insha allah.

May allah increse you in guidance and worshipful devotion, ameen.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

[/COLOR]
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2005 at 7:22pm

I received a book showing how to do salaat and other things and it includes witr from an imam.  It explains it differently than what has been explained in the posts above.  The posts above seem to add more than what the book does.  I will say what the book says.

1. Recite first two rakaas.  (such as in maghrib)

2. Recite tashoud

3. stand saying Allahu Akbar

4. Recite surat al-fatihah and other verse from Quran

5. Raise hands to ears saying Allahu Akbar

6. Recite dua al qunnut

7. say Allahu Akbar

8. perform ruku and finsh rest of rakaa such as in maghrib prayer.

9.  include second tashoud after third rakaa

10. say salaam

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 1:40am

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

I used to pray the Salatul-Witr like sister Nausheen described it. After reading the following Fatawa I changed to praying Two Rakats and then One Rakat Insha Allah, Allah knows best.

Question :
Regarding taraaweh prayers in hanafi mosques. Witr salah is read as 3 rakahs with TWO sittings for tashahud in which salaam is not said until the last rakah (ie. the same as maghrib). Is it correct to join them in this or should we pray witr seperately?.

Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.  

It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed Witr in different ways. He prayed one rak�ah, and three, and five, and seven, and nine. And he prayed three rak�ahs in two different ways, either continuously with one tashahhud, or saying salaam after two rak�ahs and praying one rak�ah and saying salaam after it. He did not pray it like Maghrib, with two tashahhuds and one salaam. Rather he forbade doing that, and said: �Do not pray Witr with three rak�ahs like Maghrib.� Narrated by al-Haakim, 1/403; al-Bayhaqi, 3/31; al-Daaraqutni, p. 172. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari (4/301): Its isnaad fulfils the conditions of the two Shaykhs (al-Bukhaari and Muslim). 

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-�Uthaymeen said: 

It is permissible to pray Witr with three rak�ahs, or with five, or with seven, or with nine. If a person prays Witr with three, it may be done in one of two ways, both of which are prescribed in sharee�ah: 

1 � Praying the three rak'ahs continually with one tashahhud.

2 � Saying salaam after two rak�ahs, then praying one rak�ah on its own. 

Both of these are narrated in the Sunnah, so if a person does it one way sometimes and the other way sometimes, that is good. 

� 

It is permissible to say it with one salaam, but it should be with only one tashahhud and not two, because if he does it with two tashahhuds, it will be like Maghrib prayer, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade making it like Maghrib prayer.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti�, 4/14-16 

For more information please see question no. 26844 and 3452, where there is a lengthy and detailed discussion about qiyaam (night prayers) and Witr.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Edited by Alwardah
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic