IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Pillars of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Witr Prayer  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Witr Prayer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed Witr in different ways. He prayed one rak�ah, and three, and five, and seven, and nine. And he prayed three rak�ahs in two different ways, either continuously with one tashahhud, or saying salaam after two rak�ahs and praying one rak�ah and saying salaam after it. He did not pray it like Maghrib, with two tashahhuds and one salaam. Rather he forbade doing that, and said: �Do not pray Witr with three rak�ahs like Maghrib.� Narrated by al-Haakim, 1/403; al-Bayhaqi, 3/31; al-Daaraqutni, p. 172. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari (4/301): Its isnaad fulfils the conditions of the two Shaykhs (al-Bukhaari and Muslim). 

1 � Praying the three rak'ahs continually with one tashahhud.

2 � Saying salaam after two rak�ahs, then praying one rak�ah on its own. 

Both of these are narrated in the Sunnah, so if a person does it one way sometimes and the other way sometimes, that is good. 

� 

It is permissible to say it with one salaam, but it should be with only one tashahhud and not two, because if he does it with two tashahhuds, it will be like Maghrib prayer, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade making it like Maghrib prayer.

Thank you for this post.  If praying 3 rakaas for witr, would I only pray the second tashuhhud which comes after the last rakaa and right before the salaam?  The second tashuhhud is longer than the first.

Or would I only recite the first tashuhhud which comes after the second rakaa?

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2005 at 9:31am

As Salamu Alaikum

It is the second tashuhhud the longer one with at-tahiyyat, durood, and Dua then Salam as u would pray when u conclude any Salah.

Edited by Alwardah
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 7:41pm
Can someone provide specific proof either from the Quran or Hadith that the way of performing Witr prayer acccording to Alwardah is the correct way to pray the witr prayer?  I ask this because I want to be 100% positive is it Sunnah. 
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 1:14pm

As Salamu Alaikum  Knowledge 01

Insha Allah it is Sunnah because the fatwa is from one of the good sites

Here are two Hadith which will help you further.

Al Bukhari Volume 002, Book 016, Hadith Number 105.

Narrated By Ibn Umar : Once a person asked Allah's Apostle about the night prayer. Allah's Apostle replied, "The night prayer is offered as two Rakat followed by two Rakat and so on and if anyone is afraid of the approaching dawn (Fajr prayer) he should pray one Raka and this will be a Witr for all the Rakat which he has prayed before." Nafi' told that 'Abdullah bin 'Umar used to say Taslim between (the first) two Rakat and (the third) odd one in the Witr prayer, when he wanted to attend to a certain matter (during that interval between the Rakat).

Volume 002, Book 016, Hadith Number 107.

Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Umar  : The Prophet said, "Night prayer is offered as two Rakat followed by two Rakat and so on, and if you want to finish it, pray only one Raka which will be Witr for all the previous Rakat." Al-Qasim said, "Since we attained the age of puberty we have seen some people offering a three-Rakat prayer as Witr and all that is permissible. I hope there will be no harm in it."

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 5:30pm
The above proof isn't exactly proof because it doesn't say anything about the tashouds and when and where to recite them in the prayer.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 10:19am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Perhaps it would be good if you ask an Imam. The reason is that, am not so sure, but most of us are just ordinary muslims, some may know more than others, but we are not "authorities" over religion.

If you do not get a satisfactory answer thru discussions here, asking an Imam would be best, insha allah.

A good place I know of is http://www.sunnipath.com

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

Perhaps it would be good if you ask an Imam. The reason is that, am not so sure, but most of us are just ordinary muslims, some may know more than others, but we are not "authorities" over religion.

If you do not get a satisfactory answer thru discussions here, asking an Imam would be best, insha allah.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

Aleykum Selam ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

Sister Nausheen,let's take care the repeats of this surah;Jazak Allah Khair.Wa Salaam...

YUSUFALI: The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder.

YUSUFALI: But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say, "This is (but) transient magic."

YUSUFALI: They reject (the warning) and follow their (own) lusts but every matter has its appointed time.

YUSUFALI: There have already come to them Recitals wherein there is (enough) to check (them),

YUSUFALI: Mature wisdom;- but (the preaching of) Warners profits them not.

YUSUFALI: Therefore, (O Prophet,) turn away from them. The Day that the Caller will call (them) to a terrible affair,

YUSUFALI: They will come forth,- their eyes humbled - from (their) graves, (torpid) like locusts scattered abroad,

YUSUFALI: Hastening, with eyes transfixed, towards the Caller!- "Hard is this Day!", the Unbelievers will say.

YUSUFALI: Before them the People of Noah rejected (their messenger): they rejected Our servant, and said, "Here is one possessed!", and he was driven out.

YUSUFALI: Then he called on his Lord: "I am one overcome: do Thou then help (me)!"

YUSUFALI: So We opened the gates of heaven, with water pouring forth.

YUSUFALI: And We caused the earth to gush forth with springs, so the waters met (and rose) to the extent decreed.

YUSUFALI: But We bore him on an (Ark) made of broad planks and caulked with palm-fibre:

YUSUFALI: She floats under our eyes (and care): a recompense to one who had been rejected (with scorn)! 

YUSUFALI: And We have left this as a Sign (for all time): then is there any that will receive admonition?

YUSUFALI: But how (terrible) was My Penalty and My Warning?

YUSUFALI: And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition?

YUSUFALI: The 'Ad (people) (too) rejected (Truth): then how terrible was My Penalty and My Warning?

YUSUFALI: For We sent against them a furious wind, on a Day of violent Disaster,

YUSUFALI: Plucking out men as if they were roots of palm-trees torn up (from the ground).

YUSUFALI: Yea, how (terrible) was My Penalty and My Warning!

YUSUFALI: But We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition?

YUSUFALI: The Thamud (also) rejected (their) Warners.

YUSUFALI: For they said: "What! a man! a Solitary one from among ourselves! shall we follow such a one? Truly should we then be straying in mind, and mad!

YUSUFALI: "Is it that the Message is sent to him, of all people amongst us? Nay, he is a liar, an insolent one!"

YUSUFALI: Ah! they will know on the morrow, which is the liar, the insolent one!

YUSUFALI: For We will send the she-camel by way of trial for them. So watch them, (O Salih), and possess thyself in patience!

YUSUFALI: And tell them that the water is to be divided between them: Each one's right to drink being brought forward (by suitable turns).

YUSUFALI: But they called to their companion, and he took a sword in hand, and hamstrung (her).

YUSUFALI: Ah! how (terrible) was My Penalty and My Warning!

YUSUFALI: For We sent against them a single Mighty Blast, and they became like the dry stubble used by one who pens cattle.

YUSUFALI: And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition?

YUSUFALI: The people of Lut rejected (his) warning.

YUSUFALI: We sent against them a violent Tornado with showers of stones, (which destroyed them), except Lut's household: them We delivered by early Dawn,-

YUSUFALI: As a Grace from Us: thus do We reward those who give thanks. 

YUSUFALI: And (Lut) did warn them of Our Punishment, but they disputed about the Warning.

YUSUFALI: And they even sought to snatch away his guests from him, but We blinded their eyes. (They heard:) "Now taste ye My Wrath and My Warning." 

YUSUFALI: Early on the morrow an abiding Punishment seized them:

YUSUFALI: "So taste ye My Wrath and My Warning."

YUSUFALI: To the People of Pharaoh, too, aforetime, came Warners (from Allah).

YUSUFALI: The (people) rejected all Our Signs; but We seized them with such Penalty (as comes) from One Exalted in Power, able to carry out His Will.

YUSUFALI: Are your Unbelievers, (O Quraish), better than they? Or have ye an immunity in the Sacred Books?

YUSUFALI: Or do they say: "We acting together can defend ourselves"?

YUSUFALI: Soon will their multitude be put to flight, and they will show their backs.
YUSUFALI: Nay, the Hour (of Judgment) is the time promised them (for their full recompense): And that Hour will be most grievous and most bitter.

YUSUFALI: Truly those in sin are the ones straying in mind, and mad.
YUSUFALI: The Day they will be dragged through the Fire on their faces, (they will hear:) "Taste ye the touch of Hell!"

YUSUFALI: Verily, all things have We created in proportion and measure.

YUSUFALI: And Our Command is but a single (Act),- like the twinkling of an eye.

YUSUFALI: And (oft) in the past, have We destroyed gangs like unto you: then is there any that will receive admonition?

YUSUFALI: All that they do is noted in (their) Books (of Deeds):

YUSUFALI: Every matter, small and great, is on record.

YUSUFALI: As to the Righteous, they will be in the midst of Gardens and Rivers,

YUSUFALI: In an Assembly of Truth, in the Presence of a Sovereign Omnipotent.

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2005 at 9:25am

Jazak allah khair for your post Brother Suleyman.

Indeed reading the Quran with "Tadabbur", ie; reflection is in everyone's capacity.

The matter on this thread however, was different.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic