IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some questions about 46:15  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some questions about 46:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2014 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Muslim75 Muslim75 wrote:

Islamispeace,

I told you the belief of Ahlus Sunna Wal Jama'a is that the Sahaba are perfect, like prophets and don't make error. You told me it was not so. Here are views of scholars about the opinion of Ahlus Sunna Wal Jama'a about the Sahaba:

First of all Muhammad (saws) said: The best of men are my generation, then those that come after, then those that come after. (Bukhari, Muslim)

In one Hadith which I have trouble finding, it is mentioned that one Companion was told by a young man: "You are the littlest of the Companions." The Companion replied: " And is there any little one among the Companions?"

Abu Zur'a said: when you see someone trying to put down someone among the Companions of the Messenger of Allah (saw), then know he is a zindiq (heretic). Because to us, the Messenger of Allah is truthful and the Qur'an is truthful. And the only ones who transmitted to us this Qur'an and these Sunnan (plural of Sunna) are the Companions of the Messenger of Allah. They wish only to denigrate and put down our witnesses so that they may deny the Book and the Sunna, while they are the ones who should be denied and destroyed as they are zanadiqa (heretics).

Ibn Abi Zayd Al Qayrawani said: Not one of the Companions should be mentioned except in the best of ways.

Imam Ahmad Hanbal said: It is not allowed for anyone to mention the faults of the Companions or to put them down. Whoever does so, the governor is obliged to reprimand and punish them.

You're still not getting it, brother.  I am not "putting down" the Sahabah.  I am saying that they were human beings.  Notice that Imam Hanbal said the "faults of the Companions".  Does that not imply that they were not infallible?  As I said, the Ahle Sunnah do not believe that the Sahabah were infallible. 

Edited by islamispeace - 12 September 2014 at 1:52pm
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2014 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

You're still not getting it, brother.  I am not "putting down" the Sahabah.  I am saying that they were human beings.  Notice that Imam Hanbal said the "faults of the Companions".  Does that not imply that they were not infallible?  As I said, the Ahle Sunnah do not believe that the Sahabah were infallible. 

To further clarify the views of the scholars, see the following:

http://tawheedmovement.com/2011/09/21/differences-among-the-sahaba/
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 8:07pm

From a study conducted by the New England Journal School of Medicine:

The Limit of Viability -- Neonatal Outcome of Infants Born at 22 to 25 Weeks' Gestation

Marilee C. Allen, Pamela K. Donohue, and Amy E. Dusman

N Engl J Med 1993; 329:1597-1601November 25, 1993DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199311253292201

Background

With improved survival of preterm infants, questions have been raised about the limit of viability. To provide better information and counseling for parents of infants about to be delivered after 22 to 25 weeks' gestation, we evaluated the mortality and neonatal morbidity of preterm infants born at these gestational ages.

Full Text of Background...

Methods

We studied retrospectively all 142 infants born at 22 to 25 weeks' gestation (as judged by best obstetrical estimate) from May 1988 through September 1991 in a single hospital. Mortality in the first six months, including stillbirths, and neonatal morbidity (i.e., the presence of intracranial pathologic conditions, chronic lung disease, and retinopathy of prematurity) were analyzed.

Full Text of Methods...

Results

Fifty-six infants (39 percent) survived for six months. Survival improved with increasing gestational age; none of 29 infants born at 22 weeks' gestation survived, as compared with 6 of 40 (15 percent) born at 23 weeks, 19 of 34 (56 percent) born at 24 weeks, and 31 of 39 (79 percent) born at 25 weeks. There were seven stillbirths at 22 weeks' gestation and four stillbirths at 23 weeks. The more immature the infant, the higher the incidence of neonatal complications as determined by the number of days of mechanical ventilation, the length of the hospital stay, and the presence of retinopathy of prematurity, periventricular or intraventricular hemorrhage, or periventricular leukomalacia. Only 2 percent of infants born at 23 weeks' gestation survived without severe abnormalities on cranial ultrasonography, as compared with 21 percent of those born at 24 weeks and 69 percent of those born at 25 weeks.

Full Text of Results...

Conclusions

We believe that aggressive resuscitation of infants born at 25 weeks' gestation is indicated, but not of those born at 22 weeks. Whether the occasional child who is born at 23 or 24 weeks' gestation and does well justifies the considerable mortality and morbidity of the majority is a question that should be discussed by parents, health care providers, and society.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199311253292201

It seems that 56% of infants survived after being born at 24 weeks, and by 25 weeks, the number went up to 79%. Results are not shown for 26 weeks (6 months), but these things tend to go up, not down. Smile

God only knows what the Quran's author was thinking when he wrote that 6 months is the "period of gestation".

We know that isn't how long the average baby is in the womb. We know also that isn't the minimum age of viability... and it isn't even the age of viability where there is a 50/50 chance of the child surviving.

Even if we were to assume that the Quran is going by the Lunar Calendar, 6 months would still be 25 weeks, not 24. At 25 weeks, survivability jumps from 56% to 79%.

http://www.hijracalendar.com/

Edited by TG12345 - 16 September 2014 at 8:15pm
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2014 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

You are correct, the verse definitely was intepreted by 'Ali to state that 6 months is the minimum amount of time that a woman is pregnant, and that a child born less than 6 months after marriage is a product of adultery. I was waiting for you or someone else to say that.

Six months allegedly is the minimum period of pregnancy according to the Quran... yet as you yourself pointed out, in reality, it isn't.

The sixth month is indeed the minimum amount of time needed for a baby to survive, even without medical treatmentThe hadith proved that.  The baby that was born obviously survived, despite not receiving the kind of medical care we have now.  Even in modern times, six months is generally considered to be the absolute earliest that a baby can survive, though with "intensive care":

"Even though its lungs are not fully developed, a fetus born during this month can survive with intensive care. Weighing 1-1.5 lbs (454-681 g), the fetus is red, wrinkly, and covered with fine hair all over its body. The fetus will grow very fast during this month as its organs continue to develop" [http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/pregnancy+duration].

Notice that the sixth month is extremely important in that it is during this month that the rate of development increases.

So, this is just another matter of semantics.  The Quran is making a general statement.  Of course, there are always exceptions.  Notice that Ibn Kathir emphasized that the child would have to be "sound and complete".  This implies that the baby could survive without any kind of medical intervention.  But as we have seen, babies which are born earlier than 6 months have generally had high mortality rates, even with modern medical treatment.  But as medical technology improves, it is expected that the mortality rates would decrease.  Whether it is 26 weeks, 25 weeks or 24 weeks (and in rare cases, 23 weeks), these births all occur in the sixth month.    

Children have been born and lived, after less than 6 months in the womb. True, there is a higher mortality rate before 24 weeks than at 24 weeks, and at 24 weeks it is higher than at 29 weeks.

Yes, but they have survived only because of medical intervention.  It gets harder and harder to keep a baby alive as the period of development decreases, even with modern medical advances.  The sixth month is crucial because it is the period of rapid growth.  Also, it is during this month that the lungs undergo development. 

Yet 6 months is not 24 weeks, but 26*! Setting 6 months as "the minimum period" that a baby can be viable makes no sense, since children have been born alive before that time. Even saying that it is the point where the chance of survival is 50-50 (which is not the minimum age of viability since the kid still may live so why that would be brought up is beyond me) is also not true, since that happens 2 weeks earlier.

Again, they survive because of medical intervention.  Without it, they would in all likelihood not survive.  And whether we are talking about 24 weeks, 25 weeks or 26 weeks, we are still talking about the sixth month.   

The question is quite obvious here.

Why would the author of the Quran set 6 months as the minimum period pregnancy? Didn't he know that technology will move ahead, and the minimum period of gestation will be pushed back?

Why would He have to say that?  There is a famous hadith which states that for every disease, God has sent down the cure.  Hence, there is no reason to think that things cannot improve.  As I said before, as life expectancy increases, the baby's weaning period can be adjusted accordingly (up to a maximum of 24 months) to make 30 months total. 

*365 days a year divided by 12 will get you 30.4 days- the length of the average month. Multiply that by 6, and you get 182.5 days.
Multiply 24 weeks by 7 and you get 168 days.

24 weeks is not 6 months, but 5.5 months.

Which can be rounded up to 6 months.  What's your point?  The ".5" indicates that we are already half-way through the 6th month.  As I said, the sixth month is the crucial stage in development.  If the baby was born during the 5th month, the chances of survival are probably zero, even with modern medical treatment.

The Limit of Viability -- Neonatal Outcome of Infants Born at 22 to 25 Weeks' Gestation

N Engl J Med 1993; 329:1597-1601November 25, 1993DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199311253292201

Background

With improved survival of preterm infants, questions have been raised about the limit of viability. To provide better information and counseling for parents of infants about to be delivered after 22 to 25 weeks' gestation, we evaluated the mortality and neonatal morbidity of preterm infants born at these gestational ages.

Methods

We studied retrospectively all 142 infants born at 22 to 25 weeks' gestation (as judged by best obstetrical estimate) from May 1988 through September 1991 in a single hospital. Mortality in the first six months, including stillbirths, and neonatal morbidity (i.e., the presence of intracranial pathologic conditions, chronic lung disease, and retinopathy of prematurity) were analyzed.

Full Text of Methods...

Results

Fifty-six infants (39 percent) survived for six months. Survival improved with increasing gestational age; none of 29 infants born at 22 weeks' gestation survived, as compared with 6 of 40 (15 percent) born at 23 weeks, 19 of 34 (56 percent) born at 24 weeks, and 31 of 39 (79 percent) born at 25 weeks. There were seven stillbirths at 22 weeks' gestation and four stillbirths at 23 weeks. The more immature the infant, the higher the incidence of neonatal complications as determined by the number of days of mechanical ventilation, the length of the hospital stay, and the presence of retinopathy of prematurity, periventricular or intraventricular hemorrhage, or periventricular leukomalacia. Only 2 percent of infants born at 23 weeks' gestation survived without severe abnormalities on cranial ultrasonography, as compared with 21 percent of those born at 24 weeks and 69 percent of those born at 25 weeks.

Full Text of Results...

Conclusions

We believe that aggressive resuscitation of infants born at 25 weeks' gestation is indicated, but not of those born at 22 weeks. Whether the occasional child who is born at 23 or 24 weeks' gestation and does well justifies the considerable mortality and morbidity of the majority is a question that should be discussed by parents, health care providers, and society.

It seems that 56% of infants survived after being born at 24 weeks, and by 25 weeks, the number went up to 79%. Results are not shown for 26 weeks (6 months), but these things tend to go up, not down. Smile

God only knows what the Quran's author was thinking when he wrote that 6 months is the "period of gestation".

We know that isn't how long the average baby is in the womb. We know also that isn't the minimum age of viability... and it isn't even the age of viability where there is a 50/50 chance of the child surviving.

Even if we were to assume that the Quran is going by the Lunar Calendar, 6 months would still be 25 weeks, not 24. At 25 weeks, survivability jumps from 56% to 79%.

This study was referring to survivability up to 6 months after birth, and also in the context of aggressive medical intervention. 

Other studies have considered the long term effects of low gestational age.  According to a 2008 study in the New England Journal of Medicine, survivability into adulthood for babies born between 23-27 weeks was only 17.8%, whereas for those born at 28-30 weeks was 57.3%:

"The study included 903,402 infants who were born alive and without congenital anomalies (1822 born at 23 to 27 weeks of gestation, 2805 at 28 to 30 weeks, 7424 at 31 to 33 weeks, 32,945 at 34 to 36 weeks, and 858,406 at 37 weeks or later). The proportions of infants who survived and were followed to adult life were 17.8%, 57.3%, 85.7%, 94.6%, and 96.5%, respectively" [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18635431]

In other words, for those born at 23-27 weeks, over 80% did not survive into adulthood.  Unfortunately, the study did not separate results for each specific week (i.e. survival for 23 weeks, 24 weeks, etc.)

Another study found that births at 24 weeks were associated with only a 43% chance of survival, but this increased to 74% by the 25th week (which would be 5.77 months, very close to 6 full months).  Indeed the authors of the study concluded:

"Survival at 24 weeks was only 43% despite treatment with antenatal steroids and exogenous surfactant. The cost per survivor for infants born at 24 weeks was higher than the cost for those born after 1 more week in utero. Outcome improved markedly between 24 and 26 weeks, and small differences in gestational age lead to large economic differences. All efforts should be attempted to prolong pregnancy, and if prolongation is unsuccessful, treatment options including nonintervention should be available to parents of 24-week gestations" [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9351768].

Furthermore, 26 weeks is considered the "benchmark group", according to an article in ScienceDaily:

"
For this study, published in the Anales de Pediatr�a journal, the experts only analysed the youngest newborns, in other words, 3,236 babies born after 26 weeks or less of pregnancy. According to the experts, the so-called 'limit of viability' is between 22 and 25 weeks.

"Babies rarely survive at 22 weeks and, when they do, it is at the expense of enduring many complications and long hospital stays, which involve a lot of suffering for them and their families," Garc�a-Mu�oz Rodrigo added.

The chances of survival increase from that point onwards and the proportion of complications gradually decreases as the gestational age rises. Indeed, babies at 26 weeks, despite being very high-risk, are considered viable and are a benchmark group for comparing the results from the other gestational ages" [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140918091226.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20sciencedaily%20%28Latest%20Science%20News%20--%20ScienceDaily%29].

Yet another study confirms the importance of gestational age of a minimum of 26 weeks:

"Initiating resuscitation and intensive care for preterm infants is generally accepted from 26 weeks� gestational age (GA) on.[1]-[3] By contrast, initial resuscitation and management of the extremely preterm infant born at 22 to 25 weeks� GA is controversial" [http://www.bcmj.org/article/management-newborn-delivered-threshold-viability].

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2014 at 4:48am

You are correct, the verse definitely was intepreted by 'Ali to state that 6 months is the minimum amount of time that a woman is pregnant, and that a child born less than 6 months after marriage is a product of adultery. I was waiting for you or someone else to say that.

Six months allegedly is the minimum period of pregnancy according to the Quran... yet as you yourself pointed out, in reality, it isn't.

The sixth month is indeed the minimum amount of time needed for a baby to survive, even without medical treatmentThe hadith proved that.  The baby that was born obviously survived, despite not receiving the kind of medical care we have now.  Even in modern times, six months is generally considered to be the absolute earliest that a baby can survive, though with "intensive care":

"Even though its lungs are not fully developed, a fetus born during this month can survive with intensive care. Weighing 1-1.5 lbs (454-681 g), the fetus is red, wrinkly, and covered with fine hair all over its body. The fetus will grow very fast during this month as its organs continue to develop" [http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/pregnancy+duration].

Notice that the sixth month is extremely important in that it is during this month that the rate of development increases.

Where do the commentaries state that 6 months is the minimum time that a baby needs to survive without medical treatment? I have read the tafsirs Ibn Abbas, Al Jalalayn, Ibn Qathir, Muhammad Asad, Yusuf Ali, Maulana Maududi on this verse, and those that say that 6 months is the minimum period say nothing about medical treatment or lack thereof being a factor. They state only that 6 months is the minimum period.

Secondly, the source you cited stated that the baby �can survive with intensive care�. What do you think this is a reference to, if not medical treatment?

So, this is just another matter of semantics.  The Quran is making a general statement.  Of course, there are always exceptions.  Notice that Ibn Kathir emphasized that the child would have to be "sound and complete".  This implies that the baby could survive without any kind of medical intervention.  But as we have seen, babies which are born earlier than 6 months have generally had high mortality rates, even with modern medical treatment.  But as medical technology improves, it is expected that the mortality rates would decrease.  Whether it is 26 weeks, 25 weeks or 24 weeks (and in rare cases, 23 weeks), these births all occur in the sixth month.    

This is how minimum is defined by dictionary.com

minimum

[min-uh-muh m]

• Examples
  • Word Origin

noun, plural minimums, minima

[min-uh-muh] (Show IPA)

the least quantity or amount possible, assignable, allowable, or the like.

the lowest speed permitted on a highway.

the lowest amount, value, or degree attained or recorded.

an arbitrary amount set by a restaurant, nightclub, etc., as the least amount to be charged each person for food and drink.

Compare cover charge.

Mathematics.

1. Also called relative minimum, local minimum. the value of a function at a certain point in its domain, which is less than or equal to the values at all other points in the immediate vicinity of the point.

Compare absolute minimum.

1. the point in the domain at which a minimum occurs.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/minimum

Minimum obviously means the lowest amount or number possible. The Quran allegedly states that 6 months is the lowest amount of time possible for a child to be born after conception, according to the commentaries you cited. Obviously, that isn�t true.

If there are �exceptions to the rule�, then 6 months is not the minimum, some other period of time is. Presently, it is 22 weeks. It may even get lower, we don�t know.

How did you come to the conclusion that �sound and complete� means survival without medical intervention?

Children have been born and lived, after less than 6 months in the womb. True, there is a higher mortality rate before 24 weeks than at 24 weeks, and at 24 weeks it is higher than at 29 weeks.

Originally posted by Islamispeace Islamispeace wrote:

Yes, but they have survived only because of medical intervention.  It gets harder and harder to keep a baby alive as the period of development decreases, even with modern medical advances.  The sixth month is crucial because it is the period of rapid growth.  Also, it is during this month that the lungs undergo development. 

Yes, but neither the verse or its commentaries state that the 6 month figure has anything to do with medical intervention. They clearly state it is the minimum age of viability. That was true to a certain point in the 20th century. It isn�t anymore.

Even some 21st century Muslim scholars, despite all the medical advancements that exist, continue to state that 6 months is the minimum amount of time that a child can be born and live. Here is an answer to a question from �Islamweb�.

Fatwa No : 137526

The minimum term of pregnancy according to the Quran

Fatwa Date : Rajab 24, 1431 / 5-7-2010

Question

Bismillah Assalaamuu Alaikum warahamatuhlahi wbarakatuh! I am being tediously harassed with this question from the kufar. Can you please send me an answer as soon as possible. "The Koran provides that the length of a normal gestation (pregnancy) is six months (Luqman 31:14; al-Baqarah 2:233; al-Ahqaf 46:15). Luqman 31:14 and al-Baqarah 2:233 provide a nursing period of 24 months. Al-Ahqaf 46:15 provides a total of 30 months for both gestation and nursing combined. This leaves only six months for the period of gestation. We know that this is not true. Normal gestation lasts nine months. Can you explain this error?" May Allah bless you and reward you.

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad %20sallallaahu%20%20`alayhi%20%20wa%20%20sallam%20%28%20may%20%20Allaah%20exalt%20his%20mention%20%29is His slave and Messenger.

What the Quran states that the period of pregnancy is six month is correct and you should not say that it is wrong, because the pregnancy has its maximum period and its minimum period. The maximum period of pregnancy is nine months as it is well-known, and its minimum period is six months. There are some women who give birth when she is only six or seven or eight months pregnant, and the born child lives. Allaah, The Most Exalted and The Most High, clarified to us the minimum period of pregnancy because there are some religious rulings that apply to it, like establishing the lineage of a child or denying it, inheritance, divorce, the waiting period and the like. Among these issues, is that if a woman gives birth to a child five months after marrying her, then the new-born is not traced back to the husband.

Therefore, it is not permissible to describe what is mentioned in the Quran as being wrong. Rather, what the Quran states that the minimum period of pregnancy is six months is confirmed by modern science, that the fetus may be born at the age of six months and it can live, and this is what is called a premature baby. Moreover, medical evidence proves that the fetus that is born before a full six months period does not live.

Finally, we advise you to avoid debating with the non-Muslims if you do not have enough religious knowledge in to refute their misconceptions.

Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=137526

Keeping in mind that 21st century medical science does not �prove� that a child born before a full 6 month period does not live- since exceptions definitely happen and some kids are born in the 5 month period- where would they get such an idea from? Obviously the Quran, which as previous commentaries have stated, says that 6 months is the minimum age of gestation. Obviously, that is not true.

Yet 6 months is not 24 weeks, but 26*! Setting 6 months as "the minimum period" that a baby can be viable makes no sense, since children have been born alive before that time. Even saying that it is the point where the chance of survival is 50-50 (which is not the minimum age of viability since the kid still may live so why that would be brought up is beyond me) is also not true, since that happens 2 weeks earlier.

Again, they survive because of medical intervention.  Without it, they would in all likelihood not survive.  And whether we are talking about 24 weeks, 25 weeks or 26 weeks, we are still talking about the sixth month.

If we are talking about the 24th week (where the odds actually are 50/50), we are talking about the 5th month, not the 6th. Today is the 3rd week of September. Are we in the month of September, or the month of October?

And again, it is irrelevant when a higher than 50/50 chance of survival kicks in and/or how much medical care is available, since the commentators of the verse clearly said that, according to the Quran, 6 months is the minimum age at which a child can be born. Any child born at the age of 5 months and a week or more already proves this wrong.

The question is quite obvious here.

Why would the author of the Quran set 6 months as the minimum period pregnancy? Didn't he know that technology will move ahead, and the minimum period of gestation will be pushed back?

Why would He have to say that? 

So people wouldn�t get the false idea that the minimum age of viability is six months, when it clearly isn�t.

There is a famous hadith which states that for every disease, God has sent down the cure.

Interesting. What was understood by the word �cure�?

Hence, there is no reason to think that things cannot improve.  As I said before, as life expectancy increases, the baby's weaning period can be adjusted accordingly (up to a maximum of 24 months) to make 30 months total. 

If a baby is born at 5 months and a week instead of six, the mother would have to wean it for a shorter period of time.

Yet doctors are recommended to encourage mothers to breastfeed children for two years or more.

RECOMMENDATIONS

• Support exclusive breastfeeding with vitamin D supplementation for the first four to six months (level III-A [Table 1]).

Table 1

Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health Examination levels of evidence

Encourage continued breastfeeding up to two years and beyond if desired by mother and infant, while providing appropriate nutritional guidance (level III-A).

Introduce iron fortified infant cereal as the first solid food by six months of age to avoid iron deficiency (level III-A).

Advise slow, progressive, natural weaning whenever possible (level III-A).

Inform and support the breastfeeding mother while ensuring adequate nutrition for the infant regardless of the timing of weaning.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2720507/

*365 days a year divided by 12 will get you 30.4 days- the length of the average month. Multiply that by 6, and you get 182.5 days.
Multiply 24 weeks by 7 and you get 168 days.

24 weeks is not 6 months, but 5.5 months.

Which can be rounded up to 6 months.  What's your point?  The ".5" indicates that we are already half-way through the 6th month.  As I said, the sixth month is the crucial stage in development.  If the baby was born during the 5th month, the chances of survival are probably zero, even with modern medical treatment.

The �.5� indicates that we are halfway through the 5th month, not the sixth. If we are going to go by the lunar calendar, it would indicate we are � of the way through the fifth month.

As of today (September 26, 2014), how many months has it been from January 1, 2014? Nine or ten?

BTW, what�s with the rounding off of 5.75 months to 6? The commentaries clearly state that 6 months is the minimum.

According to OnIslam, 6 months is the minimum, because it represents all possible cases. This is meant to be very precise, for legal reasons.

Length of Gestation in the Qur�an

Question and answer details

Name of Questioner:

Jaheda

Reply date:

2012/08/02

Question:

As-salamu `alaykum. Could you please explain this apparent contradiction in the Qur�an? I have copied and pasted it from a Christian Web site. I hope you answer soon, in sha� Allah, as I have had no luck with other Islamic sites and it is really bothering me! Jazaka Allahu khayran.The length of gestation? The verses which give information and a command concerning the duration of nursing are as follows: *{And We have enjoined upon man concerning his parents� his mother bearing him in weakness upon weakness, and his weaning in two years�Give thanks to Me and to your parents...}* (Luqman 31:14)*{Mothers shall suckle their children for two whole years; for those who wish to complete the suckling...}* (Al-Baqarah 2:233)*{And We have commended unto man kindness toward parents. His mother carried him in pain and gave him birth in pain, and the carrying of him and the weaning of him is thirty months�}* (Al-Ahqaf 46:15)Obviously there is no problem with this command to nurse for 24 months if possible. After many years of pushing bottle feeding, doctors are returning to the idea that the breast-feeding of babies is much to be preferred, even in developed countries, and in under-developed areas breast-feeding, so that the baby will have a clean source of protein for as long as possible, is a matter of life and death. The third verse, however, gives 30 months as the total for gestation and nursing. 30 months minus 24 months, leaves only 6 months for the period of gestation, but normal gestation lasts 9 months. Yusuf Ali understood that there was a problem, so he has a note speaking of this six months as �the minimum period of human gestation after which the child is known to be viable. This is in accordance with the latest ascertained scientific facts.� The reader might have been happy with that basic assumption when Yusuf Ali wrote it (although it is no longer accurate), but even for 1938, it wasn�t all that straightforward. The verse goes on, �... at length, when he reaches the age of full strength and attains forty years, he says, �O my Lord, grant me that I may be grateful for Thy favor ... truly, I have repented and truly do I bow in Islam.� Such a statement speaking about 40 years seems to be for every normal man, not for some special circumstance. If the command for nursing is 24 months, a normal period of time; and man reaching 40 years of age is a normal condition, then we would expect the first part of the phrase concerning gestation to be speaking about a usual period of gestation (nine months); and not an unusual period of six months, which is really an illness.

consultant:

Amani Aboul Fadl Farag

Answer

Salam dear Jaheda,

Thank you for your question and I hope we haven�t bothered you too with our delay.

In fact, Yusuf Ali has already given you the answer. There is no contradiction among the three verses talking about the duration of breastfeeding or gestation. The three verses you mentioned in the Qur�an limit the recommended period for breastfeeding to 24 months. In the third verse, from Surat Al-Ahqaf, the duration of both gestation and breastfeeding is altogether 30 months. This means that the duration of gestation could, in some rare cases, be six months, and that a normal labor with good survival potential could start from the sixth month of pregnancy.

The question that arises here is why should God give us the minimum rare case to demonstrate the issue instead of the normal case? The answer is related to the unparalleled precision of the Qur�anic language. The Qur�an is the source of a strong legal system, which rules over people�s lives, and like�if not superior to�any legal text, the language should be accurate. In the case you are talking about, if the duration of pregnancy is stated to be only that of nine months, and that the only viable babies are those born after nine months, this will lead to a big legal confusion concerning the issue of paternity.

The following story may demonstrate how Allah�s keenness to mention the minimum rather than the normal period of gestation helped to clear up a very thorny legal matter. A woman gave birth to a six-month baby. Her husband, seeing that the baby alive, thought that his wife had become pregnant from an affair before marrying him�on the assumption that normal labor only occurs after 9 months�therefore, he denied paternity and went to the ruler `Uthman ibn `Affan

Although the woman cried and affirmed the boy�s legitimacy, the Caliph, on hearing the case, ordered the woman to be sentenced to death for adultery. The story reached `Ali ibn Abi Talib, who was known for his unparalleled knowledge of every single word in the Qur�an. He asked `Uthman, �What are you doing?� `Uthman answered, �She gave birth to a perfect child after six months! How could this happen?� Ali Answered, �Don�t you read Qur�an?� �Uthman answered, �Yes, I do.� Ali asked, �Haven�t you heard God saying, *{� and the carrying of him and the weaning of him is thirty months.}* Then saying, *{Mothers shall suckle their children for two whole years.}* Then the difference between the two periods together and the period of nursing becomes six months.�

`Uthman said, �By God, I hadn�t recognized this perfection before.� And he set the woman free.

Thus, God had to state all possible cases for the duration of gestation for legal considerations, especially when related to a sensitive issue like that of paternity and women�s honor.

I don�t think that the beginning of the verse is rhetorically related to its end, which talks about man repenting at the age of forty. The first part, as I have just explained, is a legal ruling while the other is a moral direction and a wake up call for people to repent at the age of wisdom before it is too late. Apparently, there is no connection between them concerning what is normal and what is not.

Thanks a lot for your question and I hope to hear from you again.

Salam.

The Quran�s author clearly said that 6 months is the minimum amount of time possible for the duration of the gestation. He said nothing about �rounding off� this number to 5.5 or 5.75. I can understand why you would wish he did that, or say that he meant that it is the threshold when the chance of survival is around 50/50. He clearly didn�t, though.

6 months was meant to be the minimum. And it isn�t. There is a mistake.

Background

Methods

Full Text of Methods...

Results

Full Text of Results...

Conclusions

This study was referring to survivability up to 6 months after birth, and also in the context of aggressive medical intervention. 

It was referring to survivability up to 5.5 months after birth, in the context of aggressive medical intervention.

Originally posted by Islamisepeace Islamisepeace wrote:

Other studies have considered the long term effects of low gestational age.  According to a 2008 study in the New England Journal of Medicine, survivability into adulthood for babies born between 23-27 weeks was only 17.8%, whereas for those born at 28-30 weeks was 57.3%:

"The study included 903,402 infants who were born alive and without congenital anomalies (1822 born at 23 to 27 weeks of gestation, 2805 at 28 to 30 weeks, 7424 at 31 to 33 weeks, 32,945 at 34 to 36 weeks, and 858,406 at 37 weeks or later). The proportions of infants who survived and were followed to adult life were 17.8%, 57.3%, 85.7%, 94.6%, and 96.5%, respectively" [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18635431]

In other words, for those born at 23-27 weeks, over 80% did not survive into adulthood.  Unfortunately, the study did not separate results for each specific week (i.e. survival for 23 weeks, 24 weeks, etc.)

It didn�t, so there is no way to verify that at 25 weeks, the survivability stands at around 50/50. And it is irrelevant in either case, since the commentaries say that 6 months is the minimum amount of time that a baby can be born.

Another study found that births at 24 weeks were associated with only a 43% chance of survival, but this increased to 74% by the 25th week (which would be 5.77 months, very close to 6 full months).  Indeed the authors of the study concluded:

"Survival at 24 weeks was only 43% despite treatment with antenatal steroids and exogenous surfactant. The cost per survivor for infants born at 24 weeks was higher than the cost for those born after 1 more week in utero. Outcome improved markedly between 24 and 26 weeks, and small differences in gestational age lead to large economic differences. All efforts should be attempted to prolong pregnancy, and if prolongation is unsuccessful, treatment options including nonintervention should be available to parents of 24-week gestations" [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9351768].

Furthermore, 26 weeks is considered the "benchmark group", according to an article in ScienceDaily:

"
For this study, published in the Anales de Pediatr�a journal, the experts only analysed the youngest newborns, in other words, 3,236 babies born after 26 weeks or less of pregnancy. According to the experts, the so-called 'limit of viability' is between 22 and 25 weeks.

"Babies rarely survive at 22 weeks and, when they do, it is at the expense of enduring many complications and long hospital stays, which involve a lot of suffering for them and their families," Garc�a-Mu�oz Rodrigo added.

The chances of survival increase from that point onwards and the proportion of complications gradually decreases as the gestational age rises. Indeed, babies at 26 weeks, despite being very high-risk, are considered viable and are a benchmark group for comparing the results from the other gestational ages" [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140918091226.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20sciencedaily%20%28Latest%20Science%20News%20--%20ScienceDaily%29].

Yet another study confirms the importance of gestational age of a minimum of 26 weeks:

"Initiating resuscitation and intensive care for preterm infants is generally accepted from 26 weeks� gestational age (GA) on.[
1]-[3] By contrast, initial resuscitation and management of the extremely preterm infant born at 22 to 25 weeks� GA is controversial" [http://www.bcmj.org/article/management-newborn-delivered-threshold-viability].

None of these studies say that at 25 weeks, the probability that a child will survive is 50/50, like you earlier stated. Also, if 25 weeks is 5.77 months, it may be very close to 6 months but it isn�t 6 months, it is 5. Are you using the solar or lunar calendar, btw?

Edited by TG12345 - 26 September 2014 at 9:42pm
Muslim75 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslim75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 1:54pm

In 46:15 of the Quran, the text states:

And We have enjoined upon man, to his parents, good treatment. His mother carried him with hardship and gave birth to him with hardship, and his gestation and weaning [period] is thirty months. [He grows] until, when he reaches maturity and reaches [the age of] forty years, he says, "My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to work righteousness of which You will approve and make righteous for me my offspring. Indeed, I have repented to You, and indeed, I am of the Muslims."

What does word "gestation" mean in this case?

The word-for-word translation in Corpus Quran states "bearing". Is this a reference to when a child is in the mother's womb?

If so, from which stage?

Immediately from conception? From when it becomes a foetus? From some other point?

31:14 states that a person's weaning lasts 2 years. Thirty months subtracted two years is six months.
Would therefore the Quran be stating that the "bearing" of a child lasts six months?

I'll be away until Sunday, but if people respond I'll gladly read your answers and reply.

Take care,
TG123456

As you can see, this verse is about someone in particular.

That one is Abu Bakr As Siddiq.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Muslim75 Muslim75 wrote:

In 46:15 of the Quran, the text states:

And We have enjoined upon man, to his parents, good treatment. His mother carried him with hardship and gave birth to him with hardship, and his gestation and weaning [period] is thirty months. [He grows] until, when he reaches maturity and reaches [the age of] forty years, he says, "My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to work righteousness of which You will approve and make righteous for me my offspring. Indeed, I have repented to You, and indeed, I am of the Muslims."

What does word "gestation" mean in this case?

The word-for-word translation in Corpus Quran states "bearing". Is this a reference to when a child is in the mother's womb?

If so, from which stage?

Immediately from conception? From when it becomes a foetus? From some other point?

31:14 states that a person's weaning lasts 2 years. Thirty months subtracted two years is six months.
Would therefore the Quran be stating that the "bearing" of a child lasts six months?

I'll be away until Sunday, but if people respond I'll gladly read your answers and reply.

Take care,
TG123456

As you can see, this verse is about someone in particular.

That one is Abu Bakr As Siddiq.

According to tafsir Ibn Abbas. Tafsirs Ibn Qathir, Al Jalalayn, Yusuf Ali, Muhammad Asad and Maulana Maududi state it is about humanity in general.

If the verse was only about Abu Bakr As Siddiq, why not refer to him by his name, instead of as "man"?

Ali and Uthman used this verse to make the erroneous claim that the minimum period of gestation is 6 months.

Edited by TG12345 - 07 October 2014 at 3:15pm
Muslim75 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslim75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 6:15am
Whatever Asad and Maududi said was taken from what the Prophet(saas), the Sahaba and the Saintly scholars said, and these ones teach. Ibn Abbas and Imam Suyuti (who made the Tafsir Al Jalalayn along with his master Jalal Al Din Al Mahalli) also teach.

Maududi and Asad explained that verse such but Allah Almighty says in the Qur'an: "above every knower there is a greater knower" (Surah 12, V 76).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic