IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your advice, please  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your advice, please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your advice, please
    Posted: 28 November 2005 at 10:02am

Peace be upon you

I would be grateful if you would please take the time to offer me some advice�..

My query relates to the sects within Islam.

I someone who is interested in becoming Muslim, however I am somewhat confused with the differentiation of the message been propagated, which has lead to my not knowing whom to trust. Hence my query is this, if I am not sure who is propagating the correct message, does it matter whom I support? Or should I stay impartial and not support anyone?

I suppose this query has originated from the fact that, I live within a non-Muslim country with my parents, whom are not religious. They prevent me from fully incorporating the practice of Islam into my life, through such means as stopping me from offering the dawn prayer (i.e. I irritated them by waking them).

I also struggle with the fact that I do not have the freedom to break the cycle of bad habits (some of which I inherited from my parents, habits that have been rubbing off on me since I was a child), and feel that this is partly due to my not been able to fully incorporate Islam into my life.     

If I am unable to currently be a practicing Muslim, is there anyway I may support Islam (I cannot give in charity because I am unemployed and poor), or should I simply carry on supporting the non-Muslim system (way of life)?

Kind regards
A.J.   

aishag88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aishag88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 12:12pm

salaam,

In Islam the only time you are allowed to disobey your parents is when they disobey Islam.

Don't give in so easy, Its amazing that you found Islam in your life like that. Alhumdilla, Thats beatiuful.

But I am confused, Your questions is with the sects of Islam...and about your practing islam correct?

I am Muslim, i not shia or sunni. I am just a Mulismah. Thats my view about the sect thing.

Where you live in U.S and whats your age?

Aisha

aishag88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aishag88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 12:14pm

I forgot to say.

A lot of people have bad habits (prayers, fasting...) Ask Allah to help you, beg forgiveness to the sins you have done.

Be strong.

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 4:31am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Hi AJ

You may like to learn the history of islam from this you will learn what orthodox Islam is. There are two main groups of Muslims in the world Sunni and Shia, Sunni Muslims comprise roughly 90% of all Muslims while Shia are about 5%.

The difference between shia and sunni is one of politics which has led to diferences in religion also. they do not accept many of the prophets companions or even his wifes as being true muslims and becouse of this it has led to them to splitting away from the main body of muslims and calling them self shia. The title sunni was used for the majority of muslims to diferentiate them self from this new group after they started calling themselfs shia, mainstream Islam has alway been Sunni Islam.

In Sunni Islam we have four schools of legal thought (this article speaks about the history of islams legal schools), they are very similar in about 75% of there rulings and differ only on fine points which were not spoken of clearly by our prophet. This difference is becouse of interpretation of the evidence not becouse one group rejects the source of the evidence while another accepts it, as is the case with the diference betwen the Shia and Sunni groups. Which is why we say Orthodox Islam is sunni islam while the shia are a sect which broke away from the majority becouse they do not accept hadith from the majority of the prophets companions only those they like.

These Madhhabs (schools of legal thought) are what muslims have been following for almost the past 1400 years with out any change. There are other minority groups in Sunni islam some of these groups say you should not follow a madhhab or others say our understanding is better than this group or that group, but one thing should be considered these minority groups only arose very recently and have no real history going back to the time of the companions of the prophet.

this article also clears up some issues and explains matters more clearly than i ever could.

Understanding Madhhabs: A Beginner's Guide and FAQ

Islam was preserved by scholars teaching their students which they in turn taught there students and so on and on untill the present day, from this our scholars put in place something called a Ijazah system which is similar to a phd which is like a stamp of aproval from the scholar to his student saying i have taught this student and ensure his knowledge is sound and correct and give him permission to pass on knowledge to others. the Quran and Ahadith were preseved in the exact same manner by the exact same people, you will not find one group who preseved the Quran and Sunnah and another who are saying we know it best the majority of muslims have always followed the four madhhabs.

this was also the case with different khalifah in Islam. the last Khalifah on earth was that of the Ottoman Khalifah which followed one of these madhhabs, prior to that you will find other khalifah followed another one of these four madhhabs, by this you can ensure that mainstream islam has always been adhering to this system of law and has not wavered from it.

As i said it does not matter which of these schools of law you decide on as the scholars of each consider the other a valid opnion to take if you believe the evidence with one is stronger than the other in your view.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 5:02am
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 8:29am

In Islam the only time you are allowed to disobey your parents is when they disobey Islam.

how  does one disobey a religion they are not a part of?

Sorry about that turn signal,I must have fallen asleep.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 8:43am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

as a new muslim AJ i would advise you to do superogetory (meaning the non obligatory) acts of worship, which can be done with out any person knowing about it as they invovle reciting either the Quran or doing what we term dhikr (litraly rememberance) of one of the names of Allah, similar to a chant but it can be done in silence.

this will help you greatly on a spiritual level. donating money is a form of worship also but what i mention above is far greater in the eyes of Allah as it has an effect on the heart and Allah says in the Quran he does not look at our outward action but what is in our hearts.

If this interests you i could recommend something from the Quran or dhikr you may like to recite, and once you are more free insha allah you can take on a more active role if you wish.

Kenski70 please do not turn this into a secular argument or derail the discussion, if you have nothing contructive to add or advice to give than please do not involve yourself.

Edited by rami
A.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 9:23am

Thank you for your time Aisha,

I do need to be strong, and not give up on my practice, for in the little time I have experienced Islam I have learnt that within the Islamic prayer (and the process of maintaining it), there is the opportunity like no other to gain knowledge about unclean spirits (or bad jinn), as it is they whom try to prevent you from doing it, or indeed prevent you from gaining its benefit.

I am fond of the below exert, and know that the Five Pillars of Islam are as good as any exorcism.    

The Gospel - Mark � Chapter 5

(1) And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes.

(2) And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man    with an unclean spirit,

(3) Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:

(4) Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.

(5) And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.

(6) But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,

(7) And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.

(8) For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.

(9) And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

(10) And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country.

(11) Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding.

(12) And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.

(13) And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.

(14) And they that fed the swine fled, and told it in the city, and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that was done.

(15) And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

(16) And they that saw it told them how it befell to him that was possessed with the devil, and also concerning the swine.

(17) And they began to pray him to depart out of their coasts.

(18) And when he was come into the ship, he that had been possessed with the devil prayed him that he might be with him.

(19) Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic