IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Discussion  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discussion
    Posted: 18 August 2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Are most muslims familiar with the following words, or terms?
And can any arabic reading muslim tell me if these words, or terms, are found in the arabic Qur'an?

Kalimatullah
Ruhullah
and,
Al-Masih

Shukran und salaam.

The only one of the above three Arabic phrases that is specifically found in the Quran is "Al-Masih", which obviously is the title given to Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him). 

Of course, he is also referred to in the Quran as a "Word" (Kalimatin) from Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) and also as a "spirit" (ruh) from Him:

"Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a word from Him (بِكَلِمَةٍ مِّنْهُ): his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah;" (Surah Al-Imran, 3:45)

"O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word (وَكَلِمَتُهُ), which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him (وَرُوحٌ مِّنْهُ): so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity": desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs." (Surah An-Nisa, 4:171)

A hadith in Sahih Bukhari also refers to Jesus (peace be upon him) as both a "Word" of Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) and a "spirit" created by Him:

"Narrated 'Ubada: The Prophet said, "If anyone testifies that None has the right to be worshipped but Allah Alone Who has no partners, and that Muhammad is His Slave and His Apostle, and that Jesus is Allah's Slave and His Apostle and His Word which He bestowed on Mary and a spirit created by Him, and that Paradise is true, and Hell is true, Allah will admit him into Paradise with the deeds which he had done even if those deeds were few." (Junada, the sub-narrator said, " 'Ubada added, 'Such a person can enter Paradise through any of its eight gates he likes.")  (Book #55, Hadith #644)"
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 3:57am
As my understanding goes :-

Kalimatullah = Word of Allah

Ruhullah      = Spirit of Allah

Al Masih      = The Messiah
La Ilaha IllAllah
kodoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 3:40am
Yes, we are.
Yes, they are.

And if your aim is to study the Holy Quran, please install this software:

http://zekr.org/

And search the related terms. ma salam

Edited by kodoo - 18 August 2014 at 3:40am
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2014 at 10:32pm
Are most muslims familiar with the following words, or terms?
And can any arabic reading muslim tell me if these words, or terms, are found in the arabic Qur'an?

Kalimatullah
Ruhullah
and,
Al-Masih

Shukran und salaam.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic