IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lord of the Rings  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lord of the Rings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 6:09pm

They were orcs, kk, but just before the final battle, the bad-guys, some of which are human, are shown to be brown.

And let us face it-black person in a movie usually represnt a villian.How many movies have u seen where white guy is bad and black one the Hero?

Regards,Dayem.

"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 9:50pm
no wait now that I think about it there were men fighting for saron.the pirates were white and so were the guys on the elephants.
Sorry about that turn signal,I must have fallen asleep.
kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 10:20pm

And let us face it-black person in a movie usually represent a villain.How many movies have u seen where white guy is bad and black one the Hero?

Wesley snipes in passenger 56,Wesley snipes in all the blade movies.will smith in willed wild west. will smith in the bad Boy movies.Danny glover in all the lethal weapon movies. matron Lawrence in the bad Boyz movies too. martin Lawrence in the black knight.Daniel Washington in virtuosity.Danzel Washington in man on fire.Danzel Washington in crimson tide. Morgan freeman in kiss the girls.oh and don't forget Samuel l. Jackson.played mace windu in the star war movies......lots of movies with black good guys white bad guys.what irks me is the token black guy every director feels they have to put in to keep from being called a racist.a black guy in robin hood?I'm sure Washington had lots of blacks fighting in the colonial army.same with Cornwallis in the patriot it was the 1780's blacks weren't looked at as equals then why lie?oh and U-571 now the US didn't integrate blacks and whites into the military until the 50's so if a German u boat did sink off our coast in WWII and we sent divers to try to retrieve it.how did a black guy get tapped to go?black and white were separate then.even south park has noticed this trend.theres only 1 black kid in all of south park his name?"Token" 

Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 3:19am
now compare it with the movies which have white heros and black villian....u will be surprised by the ratio.
"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 7:39am
Sylvester Stallone in demolition man.i could have said Stallone in the rocky movies but that was boxing .but as the series drags on you find Apollo the be a pretty good guy after all.........well this list is proving to be much harder than the last.why? its open to anyone who can name some more........
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 4:55pm

Bismillah,

Saruman misled the otherwise "good" white guys.  But there weren't any tribes of good black, yellow, or red people at all.  This was just something I noticed in this major film series.  People say that this series was meant to depict the wars going on at the time.  If that is so, why aren't there any "tribe's like I mentioned".

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 11:54am

People say that this series was meant to depict the wars going on at the time.  If that is so, why aren't there any "tribe's like I mentioned".

good point! the lord of the rings was written in 1939.the war of that time was WWII.mostly whites vs whites in europe that is.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 2:41pm

Okay, I am going to pipe in here to defend pour Peter Jackson. 

When JRR Tolkein wrote the Lord of the Rings, he was doing so because England had no epics like exist in other cultures.  He also based many of the events and concepts in LotR from an ancient Finnish writing called the Kalevala.  Now, I'm pretty sure when the Kalevala was writing most Fins had never seen a black man.  Elvish in the books also based from Scandinavian languages and dwarves are also a legend originating from Northern Europe. 

As for Black vs White.....in many cultures Black is evil and White is good, symbolizing a purity....Why do Muslims not where their black clothing on the Hajj???

In India, Kali is often painted black, she is Death and destruction, but Durga is painted White, she is birth and courage. 

The Yin and Yang symbol from Asia is also Black and White.  Yin is the the man, and the Sun....forces of good, Yang is the woman and darkness...sometimes associated with evil.

Often symbolism is used to make it easier for the viewer to pick out the bad guy.  In Sci Fi movies, often the Evil Overlords soldiers are in psuedo Nazi uniforms....but there were other militaries prior to WWII that had similar uniforms. 

I think sometimes we fall too much into the trap of trying to read into things that just aren't there.  Tolkien died before Civil Rights and Multiculturalism were talked about and pushed.  Its probably more of a simple answer of European culture and lack of knowledge or attention to any possible inferences outside of the intended.

Saruman the White is a villian in LotR's, but he is always in White.  This is to show the power of his Magic and that he is not Human.  Gandalf the Gray is a hero and becomes Gandalf the White when he rises in rank as a wizard and transforms into a higher being.

As you notice characters like Aragorn and Legolas are clad in green, this is to represent their ties with nature.  Bright white is a symbol of purity and power, but not in a racist sense of the word. 

We really have to becareful in these days of hightened sensitivities on race and religion to avoid seeing things that aren't really there.  I am a Mormon, we are a people that proselyte....but that doesn't mean my responses to forums are with the intention of converstion.  They are with a sincere wish to share and learn.  I don't like rap or R&B, does that make me racists?  Especially here in the US, labels are often a double edged sword.  Everyone wants to belong to something special...they claim to be Irish on St Patrick's day, or Native American or Russian, even when born in the US.  Truth be told, each of these were a bad thing at a point in time, but not always.  So, what will things be like in 50 years.  Will it be vogue to be from the Middle East, or to be able to trace your roots to a survivor of Katrina or the Tsunami? 

Needless to say, I focus less on things that give the wrong impression and focus more on the things that teach the right thing.  LotR is about battling opression and evil.  Its about Good people coming together to defeat evil, together.  And if you notice, only together do they prevail.  Divided, they lose.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic