IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why would anyone believe him?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why would anyone believe him?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anshuha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2014 at 2:16am
Salaamualaykum Islamispeace,

Peace and blessings of Allah be upon you.

I simply want to say that I appreciate very much your postings and the way you demystify things.Clap

May Allah be pleased with you.

Salaam
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 6:03am

Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

So you have time to do a tally of how many words you and I have used, but you don't have time to read or write a long response?  Well, no wonder!  You waste time on petty nonsense

I don't consider it a waste of time to support my statements with evidence.  IMHO the real waste of time is writing something so long that nobody bothers to read it.

Quote You asked "why" would "anyone" believe him.  I pointed out that people did believe him.  You responded initially by asking "why" they believed and then said that you didn't mean those people.  Get it?

When did I say I "didn't mean those people"?  "Anyone" means anyone.  (Gosh, maybe I do need to define it!)

Quote You simply cherry-picked a couple of symptoms and ignored the rest, just like a crackpot would.

I ignored the "generally", "often", "can be", etc.  My point is that a person can be otherwise completely normal and functional, except for experiencing auditory hallucinations.

Quote But they are evidence that you have no explanations.  Your best "proof" is uncertainty.

Proof of what?  How many times do I have to tell you: I'm not trying to prove anything!

Quote Yet you have failed to prove that he was an impostor.  In addition to that, you have failed to explain how he succeeded if he was an impostor.

Again, I'm not trying to prove anything.  You could save a lot of time writing if you put a little more care into reading.

Quote Maybe according to your confused mindset.  No one cares what you think.  If you cannot prove anything (or are not even "trying" to prove anything), then you are just wasting time, which is ironic given that above you were complaining about not having enough time to read or write long responses!

I'm just asking a question.  If you don't have an answer, that's fine.

Quote I have already refuted this nonsense.  You are just too full of yourself to admit that you are mistaken.  How fitting that you ignored point #2, where I showed that other prophets were also described as "warners", yet they also performed miracles.

I didn't ignore it.  Other prophets may have been miracle-workers as well as warners, but according to the Quran, Muhammad was not.  Muhammad is described as a warner only, specifically in response to expectations that he ought to be able to perform miracles.

Quote Let's look at the "Pooya commentary" on Surah Al-Qamar 54, which I cited previously, to prove once and for all, that you are an ignoramus in denial and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) did perform miracles:

I don't know why you think that this settles it "once and for all".  Even Pooya acknowledges that "some commentators think that the past tense is used here for the future - the moon will be rent asunder at the approach of the resurrection."

Quote Anyone with even basic knowledge of Islamic eschatology knows that the meaning of the phrase "the hour of judgment is nigh" means that the splitting of the moon was one of the signs preceding the hour.  It did not mean that that hour was right around the corner.  In fact, there are many other signs which the Prophet stated had to occur before the hour would come.  Some of these signs have occurred.  Others have not.  One of the most significant signs will be the descent of Jesus (peace be upon him), which obviously has not happened yet.

Actually, "nigh" does indeed mean just around the corner.  I'm sorry, but 1400 years is not "nigh" by anybody's reckoning.  The sentence doesn't make sense as anything but a prophetic sign.  And a prophecy about something that already happened would be silly.

Quote If Muhammad (peace be upon him) had wanted power, he needed to appeal to his people.  Attacking their religion and their way of life would not have been the best way to go about doing that!  If you disagree, then maybe you should try it yourself and see what happens!  It was nice knowing you Ron!

That's how most religions work.  They usually start by telling you how sick and broken you are, and then offer to "fix" you.  Yes, it's a risky business (it didn't go so well for "Reverend" Jim Jones, for instance), but the payoff is huge if it works (e.g. L. Ron Hubbard).

Quote Well then, your "common sense" could use a tune-up.  If the elites were already angry with him, they why did they make him such a lucrative offer?  They could have just continued to oppose him and make life difficult for him.

They were trying to buy him off, obviously.

Quote As is typical of your inane babble, you completely ignored all the reasons I gave to show that your theories make no sense.  Your "common sense" can more fittingly be called "uncommon nonsense".

See, that's one of the perils of writing too much.  I'm not sure which reasons you're referring to, but I can't possibly respond to every word you write.  Just stick to the important points and I promise I'll answer them.

Quote They weren't "strangers", you ignoramus.  Many of his most vile detractors were from his family.  His uncles Abu Jahl and Abu Lahab were the leaders of the opposition.  They were the ones who made the offer to him.

Oh, so spend the rest of his life in the custody of "his most vile detractors"?  Yeah, that's way better! LOL

Quote Why would Satan start a new religion among a people who were already steeped in idol worship?  If anything, he would have wanted to continue the status quo.

Shucks, no.  You need multiple religions in order to have religious conflict.

Quote Hence, making Muhammad (peace be upon him) think that one of the pagan gods, such as Hubal or the so-called "daughters of Allah" had chosen him would have made more sense.

Which is exactly what he did.  Allah was one of the pagan gods, as you just acknowledged.

Quote What a load of nonsense!  The problem is that the rich people in Mecca opposed him for preaching social justice as well as attacking their religion.  To them, the idea of charity was anathema.  So, the only ones who were "lulled into complacency" were the poor and downtrodden while the rich and powerful remained obstinate.  That's not exactly an ideal situation for a supposed impostor or for Satan's plan to start a new religion for no apparent reason.

It's an ideal situation for someone whose goal was to cause conflict and chaos, though.

Quote Oh and like I said, it seems unlikely that a "mischievous spirit" would spend so much time on a prank, sticking with it for such a long time instead of just losing interest and moving to some other "prank".

Satan has (allegedly) been around for thousands of years.  His "pranks" (if that's the right word) can easily span centuries.

Quote More mindless theorizing?  And now it's not about Muhammad, huh?  So, for some reason, the "mischievous spirit" had the foresight to know that starting a new religion would get people to kill each other, as if people didn't kill each for other reasons?

It's not that hard to predict what competing religions will do.  And yes, people do kill each other for other reasons too.  Assuming that Satan exists, it's safe to assume he plays lots of other "pranks" besides false religions.

Quote Which slaves did he own at the time of his death?

I was going to mention the three female slaves who outlived him, but in verifying their names I came across this:
"A Day Before His Death
On Sunday, a day before he died, the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam set his slaves free, paid as a charity the seven dinars he owned and gave his weapons as a present to the Muslims."
http://sunnahonline.com/library/history-of-islam/279-death-of-the-messenger-of-allah-the
So although technically he may have had no slaves on the day of his death, he obviously did own slaves until then.  It is at least misleading to say that he ended his life with nothing more than "a mule, swords and some land".

Quote The houses where the Prophet's wives lived were simple.  They were not mansions with "furniture and clothing and pots to cook in".

No, they were not mansions; but they were houses, right?  With furniture, cooking facilities, bedding, etc.?  Who do you think owned them?

Quote If he wanted power, he would have accepted the offer he was made.

And if he accepted their offer, do you think that a billion Muslims would still be obeying his commands 1400 years later?  Could they have given him that kind of power?

Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I'm not sure where you got that quote, but here (in part) is what Maulana Muhammad Ali actually says (page 524) about this verse: "The splendours of this world were not forbidden to any Muslim, but such transitory vanities were not to be admitted into the household of God's Prophet.  As he possessed the means, his wives would be allowed to depart with rich and ample gifts, if such was their desire."

Maybe if you read the entire quote, you wouldn't make such a fool of yourself.  Here is the part that you deliberately ignored:
"If the Prophet had allowed his wives to share in the general prosperity of his community, there could not have been the least objection.  But he received a revelation which deprived him and those most nearly related to him of those material benefits which others could easily acquire."

His community was prospering.  If his wives wanted a piece of that prosperity, the Prophet would ensure that they would get it.

That may be; but the question was, were his wives in poverty because Muhammad couldn't afford more, or because he refused to give them more?  And the answer is, he possessed the means to provide them rich and ample gifts.  He simply chose not to.

Quote Umm, demographics were a little different in those days.  What do you think the average lifespan was?  Was it the same as today?  Wink  A woman in her late forties or early fifties would have been beyond her sexual prime and could be referred to as being "elderly".  Hazrat Sawdah (may Allah be pleased with her) was not a young woman and was not in her prime, as Reza Aslan pointed out.

Aisha was 9.  Hafsa was 19.  The two Zaynabs were both 30.  Hind was 27.  Juwariah was 20.  Ramla was 36.  Safiyah was 17.  Maymunah was 26.  These are not "elderly", by anyone's definition.

Quote I wasn't saying anything about how I "value women", you i-d-i-o-t.  I was merely pointing out that a man who was only interested in sex would value virgins instead of widows.

This is the kind of screwed up value system that I was referring to earlier.  Women are not less valuable because they have had sex.  I can't say whether you believe that yourself, but it is certainly a belief promoted by many religions, including yours.  And it has certainly screwed up the lives of many young women. Unhappy If Satan existed, it is a belief that he might want to promote.

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by anshuha anshuha wrote:

Salaamualaykum Islamispeace,

Peace and blessings of Allah be upon you.

I simply want to say that I appreciate very much your postings and the way you demystify things.Clap

May Allah be pleased with you.

Salaam

Walaikum as-salaam.  Jazak Allah Khair for your kind words.  Smile
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 2:02pm

each person is responsible for his/her own sins

from the book of Exodus, from the teaching of Moses

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation ...

Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 8:43pm

I don't consider it a waste of time to support my statements with evidence.  IMHO the real waste of time is writing something so long that nobody bothers to read it.

What "evidence"?  So far, you have claimed that you are not trying to "prove" anything on this thread.  You also took the time to compare the amount of words you and I have used, as if that is a matter of real importance!  LOL  What exactly is the purpose of you even being on this forum? 

When did I say I "didn't mean those people"?  "Anyone" means anyone.  (Gosh, maybe I do need to define it!)

Yes, and when I said that people did believe him, you responded by saying "why".  I gave the reasons.  Then you asked whether you needed to "define" what "anyone" means.  I interpreted that to mean that you were not referring to the people who did believe him, but rather to unbelievers such as yourself.  Gosh, maybe you should have been more concise!

I ignored the "generally", "often", "can be", etc.  My point is that a person can be otherwise completely normal and functional, except for experiencing auditory hallucinations.

Well then, you are a crackpot indeed!  Thank you for confirming what I have been saying all along! Clap

Proof of what?  How many times do I have to tell you: I'm not trying to prove anything!

Then you are just wasting your time.  Then again, since you obviously have a lot of time on your hands, I guess it's no surprise that you like to engage in meaningless conversations.  You need to get a life, man!

In contrast, I have actually attempted to prove my side of the argument.  If you are not "trying" to "prove" anything, then what on earth are you doing here and why are you asking st**id questions and engaging in meaningless conversations?

gain, I'm not trying to prove anything.  You could save a lot of time writing if you put a little more care into reading.

Well excuse me for actually thinking that this conversation had a point!  LOL

Maybe you should get a new hobby.  How about knitting? 

I'm just asking a question.  If you don't have an answer, that's fine.

Oh, so you're just "asking a question".  Oh, why didn't you just so...

But seriously, your "question" has been answered already.  So, now what?  Have you thought about taking up knitting?

I didn't ignore it.  Other prophets may have been miracle-workers as well as warners, but according to the Quran, Muhammad was not.  Muhammad is described as a warner only, specifically in response to expectations that he ought to be able to perform miracles.

You are an i-d-i-o-t, plain and simple, and you are incapable of admitting that you know nothing and are hilariously mistaken.  I already refuted your "warner" argument.

I don't know why you think that this settles it "once and for all".  Even Pooya acknowledges that "some commentators think that the past tense is used here for the future - the moon will be rent asunder at the approach of the resurrection."

LOL Yeah, and he also stated:

Firstly authentic traditions relate the cleaving asunder of the moon, secondly the observation "this is magic continuous" in verse 2 leaves no room for the speculation of the enemies of the Holy Prophet. Even the Qadiani commentators, who habitually deny miracles, accept the incident to have taken place.

So unless you have some actual evidence to refute this, you are just grasping for straws.

Actually, "nigh" does indeed mean just around the corner.  I'm sorry, but 1400 years is not "nigh" by anybody's reckoning.  The sentence doesn't make sense as anything but a prophetic sign.  And a prophecy about something that already happened would be silly.

The word "nigh" can simply mean "closer".  Hence, with the splitting of the moon, the Hour of Judgment has drawn closer in time.  In other words, the splitting of the moon was a major sign of the Day of Judgment.  It is one of the many signs that had to occur before the Day of Judgment.  

That's how most religions work.  They usually start by telling you how sick and broken you are, and then offer to "fix" you.  Yes, it's a risky business (it didn't go so well for "Reverend" Jim Jones, for instance), but the payoff is huge if it works (e.g. L. Ron Hubbard).

LOL Was L. Ron Hubbard constantly facing persecution and violence for his beliefs?  Do you think that when he was contemplating starting his religion, he thought to himself: "Hmmm.  Will people accept my message or will they react with violence and anger and try to kill me?"

It makes no sense that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) would have purposefully attacked the religion of the pagan Arabs in a vain effort to gain power and influence.   

They were trying to buy him off, obviously.

Which is exactly what a supposed impostor would have wanted, yet Muhammad (peace be upon him) refused to be bought out.  Unbelievers like you are tongue-tied to explain why he did that!  

See, that's one of the perils of writing too much.  I'm not sure which reasons you're referring to, but I can't possibly respond to every word you write.  Just stick to the important points and I promise I'll answer them.

Well then, you are not only a crackpot, but you are a lazy crackpot.  Big%20smile  Or maybe you have a short attention span...

You can either respond to my entire post, or you can continue to make a fool out of yourself.  People who have no answers typically tend to ignore anything that makes them look foolish...or they make excuses for why they don't respond.  LOL

Oh, so spend the rest of his life in the custody of "his most vile detractors"?  Yeah, that's way better! LOL

Um, if he accepted their offer, that would have meant that he would stop preaching against their religion.  That was their main gripe.  Hence, they would become his allies if he accepted their offer.  And they certainly would not be "strangers", right? Wink  Think Ron, think! 

Moreover, who said he would "spend the rest of his life" in their custody?  He would  have stayed where ever he wanted, and with the backing of the elites, he would have the power and influence that you think was his motivation for preaching in the first place.

Shucks, no.  You need multiple religions in order to have religious conflict.

Who says?  You?  Don't make me laugh!  LOL Oops, too late...

Anyway, as anyone with even basic knowledge of pre-Islamic Arabia knows, conflicts between various factions were very common.  So if Satan wanted to incite further violence, he could have just exploited the many simmering disputes that already existed in those days. 

I still find it hilarious that the irony of your "Satan" argument does not seem to dawn on you.  I love it that an atheist has grown so desperate to smear Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), that he has to pontificate on what alleged role Satan may have played in the founding of Islam.  You do realize that you are shooting yourself in the foot, right?  If your Satan argument is true, then it means that Satan exists and your disbelief in the supernatural is unfounded (and which might mean that Satan has tricked you into being an unbeliever Wink).  If, however, Satan does not exist, your argument is still unfounded because that is yet another theory which fails to explain Muhammad's success.  You put your foot in your mouth either way! 

Which is exactly what he did.  Allah was one of the pagan gods, as you just acknowledged.

LOL I don't know if you are just blind or are too dumb to understand.  As I said, ALL Arabs (whether Jewish, Christian or pagan) referred to God as "Allah".  The only difference was that the pagans believed that there were lesser gods as well, such as Hubal.  In short, they were polytheists.  If Satan was playing a trick, he would have tricked Muhammad (peace be upon him) to believe that one of the lesser gods had chosen him.  That way, Satan could perpetuate the polytheistic religion.

It's an ideal situation for someone whose goal was to cause conflict and chaos, though.

No, the "ideal situation" for Satan would be produce as many unbelievers as possible.  You know, people like you.  The more people he tricks, the more he leads to Hell. Dead  The best way to do that is not to start a religion founded upon monotheism and social justice as well as the rejection of polytheism and idol worship.  Rather, he would have wanted to perpetuate polytheism and idol worship.  Or, he could have endorsed atheism! Shocked

Originally posted by Ron
 Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Satan has (allegedly) been around for thousands of years.  His "pranks" (if that's the right word) can easily span centuries.

You certainly know a lot about Satan! I guess it makes sense.  You are of his stock, after all.  LOL

But like I said, a prankster or "mischievous spirit" could easily lose interest and move to some other prank. 

It's not that hard to predict what competing religions will do.  And yes, people do kill each other for other reasons too.  Assuming that Satan exists, it's safe to assume he plays lots of other "pranks" besides false religions.

Well that would include atheism, wouldn't it now?  Or your so-called "humanism"?  Certainly, atheists are capable of just as much violence as religious people.  History has proven that over and over.

I was going to mention the three female slaves who outlived him, but in verifying their names I came across this:
"A Day Before His Death
On Sunday, a day before he died, the Prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam set his slaves free, paid as a charity the seven dinars he owned and gave his weapons as a present to the Muslims."
http://sunnahonline.com/library/history-of-islam/279-death-of-the-messenger-of-allah-the
So although technically he may have had no slaves on the day of his death, he obviously did own slaves until then.  It is at least misleading to say that he ended his life with nothing more than "a mule, swords and some land".

I highlighted the part in red to show just how pathetic your argument is.  If the most powerful man in Arabia had just seven dinars to his name, how can anyone claim that he had wealth?  Even what little he had, he gave away in charity!

No, they were not mansions; but they were houses, right?  With furniture, cooking facilities, bedding, etc.?  Who do you think owned them?

Actually, they are more appropriately referred to as "apartments".  Furthermore, as it is stated in a hadith of Hazrat Aisha in Sunan Tirmidhi, the Prophet's household was not made of riches:

"At our home (that is, the home of the Holy Prophet's household), fire would not be kindled (sometimes) for a whole month; we subsisted merely on water and dates."  

And if he accepted their offer, do you think that a billion Muslims would still be obeying his commands 1400 years later?  Could they have given him that kind of power?

LOL Are you serious, Ron?  Do you think before you write?  How would Muhammad (peace be upon him) have known that his followers would become 1 billion strong?  And even if he did know, what kind of "power" are you referring to?  Obviously, if he is no longer with us, then what "power" does he have?  Think, Ron, think!

That may be; but the question was, were his wives in poverty because Muhammad couldn't afford more, or because he refused to give them more?  And the answer is, he possessed the means to provide them rich and ample gifts.  He simply chose not to.

He possessed the means to provide himself with rich and ample gifts, yet he simply chose not to.  Would a supposed impostor do that?  Think, Ron, think!

And like I already stated, he gave his wives two choices.  If they wanted the "rich and ample gifts", he would give them that, but at the cost of no longer being part of his household.  They could not have both.  They chose to stay with him.  They willingly accepted to share in his self-imposed poverty.  You have yet to explain why a supposed impostor would do that.  Think, Ron, think!

Aisha was 9.  Hafsa was 19.  The two Zaynabs were both 30.  Hind was 27.  Juwariah was 20.  Ramla was 36.  Safiyah was 17.  Maymunah was 26.  These are not "elderly", by anyone's definition.

LOL Yeah, but I was specifically referring to Hazrat Sawdah, you nincompoop. 

This is the kind of screwed up value system that I was referring to earlier.  Women are not less valuable because they have had sex.  I can't say whether you believe that yourself, but it is certainly a belief promoted by many religions, including yours.  And it has certainly screwed up the lives of many young women. Unhappy If Satan existed, it is a belief that he might want to promote.

Still not getting it?  Your idiocy and ignorance knows no bounds.  I would love for you to prove any of your foolhardy statements.  Prove that Islam teaches that "women are less valuable because they have had sex." 

To repeat, since you are obviously too dimwitted to understand the first time:

I never said anything about how I "value women".  I was specifically referring to your theory that Muhammad (peace be upon him) was driven by lust, by pointing out that a man who is obsessed with sex would probably "value" virgins, not widows.  Now, let me repeat again (I'll go slow so you can understand):

I...AM...NOT...SAYING...ANYTHING...ABOUT...HOW...I...VALUE...WOMEN.

Did you get all that?  I wasn't too fast?

Furthermore, there is nothing in Islam that states that women who have had sex are less "valuable" than virgins (unless of course, we are talking about fornicators or adulterers, but that would include both men and women).  If you disagree, then prove it.  Try to salvage what little dignity you have left...
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation ...

From the Book of Deuteronomy, from the Law of Moses:

"Parents are not to be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their parents; each will die for their own sin."

Awkward...LOL

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 9:46pm

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

From the Book of Deuteronomy, from the Law of Moses:

"Parents are not to be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their parents; each will die for their own sin."

Awkward...

Greetings islamispeace,

The book of Deuteronomy is the law that is given to man... to use in governance of the affairs of men.  It is not a law that applies to God.  God does as He wills to do, according to what He judges good and best for us.  God leads us, and teaches, in His ways... not the ways of men. Smile

asalaam,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 17 July 2014 at 9:47pm
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 12:32am
the Psalm of David
The Lord does whatever pleases him
    throughout all heaven and earth,
    and on the seas and in their depths.
He causes the clouds to rise over the whole earth.
    He sends the lightning with the rain
    and releases the wind from his storehouses.
He smote the firstborn of Egypt, both of man and beast.

He performed miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt

upon Pharaoh and upon all his servants.

(NLT,KJV)

Edited by Caringheart - 19 July 2014 at 12:38am
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic