IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why would anyone believe him?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why would anyone believe him?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 1:34pm
I just have to ask... does the Creator, in anyone's mind, approve of mockery as a means of communication?
Does this build understanding?
If one makes use of mockery can they really belong to the Creator?
asalaam.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Interesting comment.  Have I not seen you making use of the Biblical scriptures during discussion?  Have you read all the Biblical scriptures?

No, I have not read "all" the Biblical "scriptures", but I have certainly read more than you, as we have already seen.  LOL

I make use of the the Bible to show arrogant Christians that they are living in a glass house when they attack Islam or the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).  I also use it to show Christians how ignorant they are of their own "scripture" let alone of the Quran.  You have illustrated this point very clearly.

What explanation does Islam give for Pharaoh finally letting the Hebrews go?

Obviously, the plagues became increasingly difficult to deal with and as time went on, the Egyptians couldn't take it anymore.  However, the Pharaoh still remained stubborn and refused to let the Israelites go.  So, Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) commanded Moses (peace be upon him) to take the Israelites by night and leave Egypt.  When the Pharaoh found out, he pursued them, only to be drowned. 

How was Bathsheba not his legal wife?  Didn't Muhammad allow taking of captives to make them slaves... and the taking of slaves to make them wives?
and didn't Muhammad also take another man's wife for his own?  Wasn't it his nephew's wife that he took for his own?

LOL It's amazing how you didn't answer my questions (how typical) and then tried to change the subject again to deflect attention from your predicament.

As I said, Bathsheba was not David's legal wife.  He had killed her husband and committed adultery with her.  I ask again:

Since when were adulterers allowed to marry each other?  Did not the law require stoning to death for the crime of adultery?

Your pathetic attempts to change the subject whenever you cannot answer a question demonstrates your deluded you are. 

By the way, Zayd (may Allah be pleased with him) had divorced Zaynab (may Allah be pleased with her).  They were not happily married.  It was only after Zayd divorced Zaynab that the Prophet married her.  Therefore, she was his legal wife.  That is what the Quran states.  Like I said, you have no business quoting from the Quran because you are comically ignorant of it!

It's not a story... it is history... and history is replete with bad behavior and sinful transgressions.  The Biblical scriptures to not try to polish it up and make it a fable.

It is a fable because it is full of contradictions and inconsistencies.  Just because you are too deluded to see that does not change the facts.  Interestingly, this story is not found in the other version of David's life: Chronicles. 

It is a fable which claims that God unjustly enforces the law on some but not others.  It claims that a king got several passes, whereas anyone else would not have been so lucky.  It claims that God killed a child for the sins of his father, whereas elsewhere, God had stated that the sons will not be killed for the sins of their fathers. 

Why does the Creator make marriage a 'prerequisite for procreation'?

Isn't it obvious?  Fornication and adultery result in broken homes and illegitimate children (or in the case of the David and Bathsheba story, a dead child).  Unless one has a legal right, one cannot have sexual intercourse. 

Here are my refutations;
http://livingontheedge.org/broadcasts/player?bid=5f7a6747-3a8a-4276-a839-2217392650b1#.U8GYYrEuPms

LOL Really?  These are your "refutations"?  Why can't you answer simple questions without forwarding me to some link?  I could care less why you believe in the Bible.  I want to know how you explain the contradictions and inconsistencies in it.  How do you explain what I pointed out before, regarding the "lesson" of the David/Bathsheba story:

All adulterers are to die...unless you are a king.

God does not punish the sons for the sins of their fathers...unless the father is a king who committed adultery, in which case, the son is killed to punish the father. 

Kings must not take many wives...unless you are David and Solomon, who were allowed not just "many" wives, but hundreds.

The Moral of the Story: If you are king, the law does not apply to you in all cases. 

I have not avoided discussion.  I have said;
"I am shocked and appalled at the story of David and Bathsheba, and many other stories of the old testament(which are history, and useful for teaching)... even some of the things in the new testament shock and appall me...
 and I freely admit that I do not understand the mind of God and all that He allows.  I accept that the Creator knows something that I do not... that He is able to look at the whole picture where I see only part...

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

'the Creator does a thing good for you even though you may not like or understand it'  "

So in other words, you refuse to offer any kind of reasonable explanation.  You simply wash your hands (like Pilate in the fictional trial of Jesus) and close your eyes to logic and reason.  Thank you for admitting it!

In any case, I am satisfied in that I have exposed your ignorance of Islam (and of the Bible) and hypocrisy in your laughable attacks on Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).  Take a lesson from this experience.  Your ignorance and hypocrisy will not go unnoticed and you will be exposed, inshaAllah! Ouch

Edited by islamispeace - 12 July 2014 at 2:05pm
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 1:58pm

I just have to ask... does the Creator, in anyone's mind, approve of mockery as a means of communication?
Does this build understanding?
If one makes use of mockery can they really belong to the Creator?
asalaam.

This is the last resort of someone who has no response to make and so tries to go off on tangents.  If you cannot take the "mockery", then just stay out of the conversation!  Simple! Big%20smile

Anyway, you have brought this on yourself with the lies you spread, so just accept it.  I have no qualms against putting arrogant Christians in their place.  I am defending Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) from your vitriol and lies.  I could care less if you don't like how I do it.  You deserve nothing but mockery.  If you weren't a biased, arrogant missionary, it would be different.  If you were here to genuinely learn about Islam and clear up your prejudices, it would be different.          

Edited by islamispeace - 12 July 2014 at 2:03pm
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 2:35pm
Greetings islamispeace,

It's not about me...
it's about you and who you reveal you belong to...

'you will know them by their fruits' - the words of Yshwe

Why would anyone take your words seriously when you reveal who you truly belong to?

asalaam,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 2:56pm

Greetings islamispeace,

It's not about me...
it's about you and who you reveal you belong to...

'you will know them by their fruits' - the words of Yshwe

Why would anyone take your words seriously when you reveal who you truly belong to?

asalaam,
Caringheart

LOL Oh, no, no.  It is about you.  You reveal your arrogance, ignorance and hypocrisy and when confronted, you avoid the awful truth.  These are your bitter "fruits"!  So, by your fruits I know you, Caringheart.  You reveal the bitter fruits of hypocrisy and ignorance within yourself.  Your continued attempts to avoid answering difficult questions (and frantic attempts to change the subject) will not change anything. 

Do you think I care what you or anyone else thinks about me?  Not at all!  I care about facts and the facts on this thread are clear for everyone to see.  Personal opinions don't matter.   

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 3:15pm

Here are my refutations;
http://livingontheedge.org/broadcasts/player?bid=5f7a6747-3a8a-4276-a839-2217392650b1#.U8GYYrEuPms

specifically, listen from the 12 minute mark.

I listened to that guy and found his argument to be one of special pleading.  He claims that the people who wrote the Old Testament would have avoided including the stories of their "heroes" David, Moses and Solomon, since they describe the many alleged evil things they did.  He then concludes that since these stories were included, that somehow means they are genuine and that the Old Testament is indeed the word of God.  Talk about a non-sequitur!  Of course, he ignores the fact that many of the evil deeds of the Biblical "heroes" were sanctioned by God.  For example, the immense violence perpetrated by the Biblical Moses was based on God's command to wipe out the indigenous population.  This wasn't Moses' doing.  The Bible claims that God commanded it. 

And with regard to the story of David and Bathsheba, he conveniently ignores that it is not mentioned in Chronicles, the other Old Testament source about David's life.  Why was it omitted by the author of Chronicles?

He also claimed that despite the 1500 year "publishing" project and over 40 authors, the result was a "cohesive" book.  Anyone who has read the Bible knows that it is anything but "cohesive".  A "cohesive" book does not contradict itself in multiple places.  It does not have different accounts of the same event.

My conclusion is that the guy in the recording is just another apologist who makes excuses and resorts to special pleading.  Not very convincing at all...      

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2014 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I think "why would anyone believe him?" is fairly concise.  You, on the other hand, seem to need an ever-increasing amount of text to answer a question that you consider "absurd".  Honestly, this is getting out of control.

Getting out of control?  Mellow out, Ron.  Don't be a drama queen.

Here are the word counts for our exchanges so far:

Posted date          me    you
June 29 at 9:52am    50    
June 29 at 1:40pm        239
July 01 at 9:05am    220    
July 01 at 6:15pm        703
July 04 at 4:39pm    999    
July 05 at 2:08pm        1742
July 06 at 5:35pm    1071    
July 07 at 7:17pm        2036
July 09 at 6:49pm    1412    
July 11 at 9:48pm        2865

Your responses are about twice as long as what you are responding to.  Mine are almost always shorter.  If I adopted your style, we would very soon be writing volumes to each other.  I don't know about you, but I don't have time to read that much, let alone write it.

Quote I am merely pointing out that people did and continue to believe in Muhammad (peace be upon him).  Your first reaction to this point was not to say "well, I didn't mean those people".  Rather, you responded by asking a different question ("why" they believed).

How is it a different question?  The word "why" is right there, in the title of the discussion as well as opening post!  

Quote How fitting that you simply pick and choose certain symptoms, while ignoring others.

What other symptoms?  The only defining symptom of paraphrenia is auditory hallucinations.  Other symptoms may or may not be present.

Quote "Unproven"?  How blind are you?  You have been shown much evidence to show that Muhammad's success cannot be explained by your theories.

Evidence against my theories is not evidence in favour of yours.

Quote You simply cannot acknowledge, that given his situation and if he was an impostor, the probability is extremely low that he would have succeeded and accomplished all that he did.

No, I don't acknowledge that.  Lots of impostors are successful.

Quote Your assumption is that there "must" be some "other" explanation, as an alternative to his claim that he was the messenger of God, even if the "other" explanations are utterly ridiculous and illogical.  One would think that since you are trying to offer a simpler explanation (or the more "likely" explanation), you would be able to prove it using simple evidence.  But all you can provide is a whole lot of speculation ("maybe", "perhaps" etc.).

Again, I'm not trying to prove anything.  At this point, 1400 years later and based solely on anecdotal information filtered through fanatical believers, there is no hope in getting to the real story.  I'm just pointing out that the God Hypothesis is equally speculative, and a priori quite a bit less likely.

Quote First of all, I never said that Muhammad (peace be upon him) had "divine powers", so don't lecture me about committing "shirk".  As any Muslim knows, the prophets were allowed to perform miracles by Allah's permission.  They had no powers themselves.

Other prophets (allegedly) performed miracles.  Muhammad never claimed to, and the Quran (as I quoted) confirms that he was a warner only.

Quote Third, the Quran does indeed refer to Muhammad's miracles as well, and how the unbelievers still refused to believe in him.  They called him a "sorcerer".  Why would they call him a "sorcerer" if they not witnessed certain phenomena that they could not explain?

According to the Pooya commentary to 21:3, they thought he used sorcery to make people believe.  IMHO it's more likely they just used "sorcerer" as a generalized term for heretic.  Or perhaps they said no such thing; it may be just a straw man created by Muhammad.

Quote The Quran also refers to the miracle of the splitting of the moon, which was shown to the unbelievers at their request, and yet they still refused to believe and dismissed it as "magic":

"The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder.  But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say, "This is (but) transient magic."" (Surah Al-Qamar, 54:1-2)

If you believe that this refers to an event that had already happened, then you must also believe that the Hour of Judgement was "nigh" 1400 years ago.  No, the splitting of the moon is a prophecy of an event yet to come, a sign that will herald the Hour of Judgment.

Quote Yet the product would be the same.  It wouldn't have made sense for Muhammad (peace be upon him) to use religion to appeal to his people in order to gain their favor, and then criticize their religion.

Of course it makes sense.  Every new religion starts that way.

Quote LOL How confused are you?  In reality, scenario B was clearly the least obvious choice to make.  Rejecting the offer would have meant bringing the wrath of the powerful elites upon Muhammad (peace be upon him).  Whatever alleged danger there would have been in angering his poor and defenseless followers would have been trumped by the overwhelming danger of angering the powerful elites.  Use your common sense, Ron!

My common sense tells me that the elites were already angry with him so he had nothing to lose in that regard.  My common sense tells me that he had more to fear from his friends and family who slept by his side, shared his table at dinner, etc.

Quote Moreover, after having gained the pagans' favor, he could rely on their protection.  There would have been nothing his followers could have done in that scenario.

So abandon his friends and family and accept protective custody with strangers?  That's your preferred scenario?

Quote LOL Well, for one thing, I wouldn't expect Satan or a mischievous "false demigod" to tell Muhammad (peace be upon him) that there is only one true God and that all "gods" are false.  If anything, Satan would have tried to make him believe that one of the pagan gods had chosen him.  He would exploit the predominant pagan beliefs.

But he did exploit the predominant pagan beliefs.  Did I mention that "Allah" was one of the pagan gods?  As for declaring that all the other gods are false, why wouldn't he?  He's a liar.  He can say anything he wants.  To pretend to be Allah, the only god, would make him more powerful than saying he is just one of many.

Quote Second, I wouldn't expect Satan to tell him to preach social justice, the feeding of the poor, respecting parents, being kind to orphans, and banning female infanticide and cruelty to animals etc.  Instead, I would expect Satan to try to maintain, if not strengthen, the status quo which was essentially the rich dominating the poor (a phenomenon which is still worldwide problem).

I would expect exactly that.  The best lies are wrapped in half-truths.  Of course he would say all the right things about justice and mercy and all that, to lull you into complacency.  Then he'd add just enough twists to cause mischief, inspire hatred of other groups, promote the likes of Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, etc.  

In fact, if I were such a mischievous spirit, I'd twist Islam one way, Christianity another, Hinduism another, and so on.  Then I'd be endlessly entertained as I watched them slaughter each other to prove which of them had the one true religion.  Just like they've been doing for the last few millennia, eh?

Quote Third, I doubt that Satan would have hung on with Muhammad (peace be upon him) throughout his entire struggle (23 years), sticking with him through the most dire circumstances, instead of simply abandoning him to his enemies.  A "prankster" would be even less likely to do so.

It's not about Muhammad.  It's about the billions of Muslims and non-Muslims whose lives have been screwed up by religion.  I'd say that's worth a few decades of effort.

Quote It does change everything because you had claimed that Muhammad (peace be upon him) had more wealth at the time of his death than just a mule, some swords and a plot of land.  Now that you have been refuted, you changed your argument again.  What a fickle individual you are!

Refuted?  He did own slaves at the time of his death, right?  So that alone refutes your claim of "mule, swords and some land".  And I think we can assume that all those wives lived in houses, with furniture and clothing and pots to cook in, etc.

Quote As for your other "point", it is irrelevant because, as I said, Arab society at that time fully accepted polygamy and concubinage.  A person did not need to invent a religion in order to get more wives or concubines.

He needed a special dispensation from God to justify more than four wives.  Sure, the pagans also practiced polygamy, but eleven?  Plus concubines and slaves, plus numerous annulments and broken engagements?  I think any culture, pagan or not, would find that excessive.

Quote 1.  Muhammad lived a life of self-imposed poverty, contrary to your *****ic assertion, and,

Let me be clear.  I agree that Muhammad was not interested in material possessions.  He cared about power, and he cared about women.  As a Prophet he got both, far more than he could have had as a successful trader.

Quote 2.  He offered to divorce his wives so that they could acquire the material benefits that they wanted.

The reference to "a handsome manner" refers to divorcing them so that they could be given a share in the spoils that his followers were enjoying, but not himself.  As Maulana Muhammad Ali states:

"Thus they were offered two alternatives.  They might either have world finery, or remain in the Prophet's household.  Should they decide to have the former, they would have plenty of what they wanted, but would forthwith forfeit the honour of being the Prophet's wives."

I'm not sure where you got that quote, but here (in part) is what Maulana Muhammad Ali actually says (page 524) about this verse: "The splendours of this world were not forbidden to any Muslim, but such transitory vanities were not to be admitted into the household of God's Prophet.  As he possessed the means, his wives would be allowed to depart with rich and ample gifts, if such was their desire."

Quote True, most were not elderly, but some were.  Why would a man whose motive was sex have married an elderly woman?

His first two wives, before he had significant power, were in their forties.  Try telling a woman in her forties that she is "elderly" and see how that goes. Wink  The rest were in their sexual prime, and most were described as beautiful.

Quote Also, one would think that a man whose main motive was sex would not marry widows but instead virgins.

Shocked I don't even know what to say in response to such a chauvinistic attitude.  Is that really how you value women?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2014 at 5:11pm

Here are the word counts for our exchanges so far:

Posted date          me    you
June 29 at 9:52am    50    
June 29 at 1:40pm        239
July 01 at 9:05am    220    
July 01 at 6:15pm        703
July 04 at 4:39pm    999    
July 05 at 2:08pm        1742
July 06 at 5:35pm    1071    
July 07 at 7:17pm        2036
July 09 at 6:49pm    1412    
July 11 at 9:48pm        2865

Your responses are about twice as long as what you are responding to.  Mine are almost always shorter.  If I adopted your style, we would very soon be writing volumes to each other.  I don't know about you, but I don't have time to read that much, let alone write it.

So you have time to do a tally of how many words you and I have used, but you don't have time to read or write a long response?  Well, no wonder!  You waste time on petty nonsense.  LOL

For my part, I write as much as is necessary to drive home the point.  Sometimes, just a few words is not enough. 

How is it a different question?  The word "why" is right there, in the title of the discussion as well as opening post!

Ugh, this is like trying to teach a monkey. 

You asked "why" would "anyone" believe him.  I pointed out that people did believe him.  You responded initially by asking "why" they believed and then said that you didn't mean those people.  Get it? 

What other symptoms?  The only defining symptom of paraphrenia is auditory hallucinations.  Other symptoms may or may not be present.

So now you are having trouble with reading comprehension?  Or is it that you have a short memory?  In my response from July 7, I stated:

"Onset of symptoms generally occurs later in life, near the age of 60.

Muhammad (peace be upon him) had his encounter at the age of 40, but paraphrenia generally effects older people. 

The article also states:

"The main symptoms of paraphrenia are paranoid delusions and hallucinations.[1][6] The delusions often involve the individual being the subject of persecution, although they can also be erotic, hypochondriacal, or grandiose in nature. The majority of hallucinations associated with paraphrenia are auditory, with 75% of patients reporting such an experience; however, visual, tactile, and olfactory hallucinations have also been reported.[1][6] The paranoia and hallucinations can combine in the form of �threatening or accusatory voices coming from neighbouring houses [and] are frequently reported by the patients as disturbing and undeserved"."

None of these symptoms can be applied to Muhammad (peace be upon him).  He never claimed to be hearing "voices" which were threatening in manner.  Nor did he hear voices coming from "neighbouring houses".

You simply cherry-picked a couple of symptoms and ignored the rest, just like a crackpot would.  Big%20smile

Evidence against my theories is not evidence in favour of yours.

But they are evidence that you have no explanations.  Your best "proof" is uncertainty. 

Also, I am referring to other evidence from other threads.  For example, the "Prophecy" thread in the General Discussion section.  Now I know you have tried to deny the prophecies, but the point is that the evidence is there.  You just try to deny it to satisfy your ego. 

No, I don't acknowledge that.  Lots of impostors are successful.

Yet you have failed to prove that he was an impostor.  In addition to that, you have failed to explain how he succeeded if he was an impostor. 

Again, I'm not trying to prove anything.  At this point, 1400 years later and based solely on anecdotal information filtered through fanatical believers, there is no hope in getting to the real story.  I'm just pointing out that the God Hypothesis is equally speculative, and a priori quite a bit less likely.

Maybe according to your confused mindset.  No one cares what you think.  If you cannot prove anything (or are not even "trying" to prove anything), then you are just wasting time, which is ironic given that above you were complaining about not having enough time to read or write long responses!  LOL 

Other prophets (allegedly) performed miracles.  Muhammad never claimed to, and the Quran (as I quoted) confirms that he was a warner only.

I have already refuted this nonsense.  You are just too full of yourself to admit that you are mistaken.  How fitting that you ignored point #2, where I showed that other prophets were also described as "warners", yet they also performed miracles.

According to the Pooya commentary to 21:3, they thought he used sorcery to make people believe.  IMHO it's more likely they just used "sorcerer" as a generalized term for heretic.  Or perhaps they said no such thing; it may be just a straw man created by Muhammad.

LOL Look at how you just make up theories to satisfy your own skepticism.  No proof.  No logic.  Just a whole bunch of "IMHO" and "it's more likely" or "perhaps this" and "perhaps that". 

Let's look at the "Pooya commentary" on Surah Al-Qamar 54, which I cited previously, to prove once and for all, that you are an ignoramus in denial and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) did perform miracles:

"The reference is a famous miracle of the Holy Prophet, recorded in several authentic traditions of the companions, particularly of the Ahl ul Bayt whose evidence is always true, performed at the insistent demand of the pagans and the Jews. The Jews who saw this miracle became Muslims but Abu Jahl said: "This is magic continuous". It is written in the Book of Joshua 10: 13: "So the sun stood still and the moon halted until a nation had taken vengeance on its enemies." So the Jews and the Christians cannot deny the possibility of "divine adjustment" in the solar system.

Some commentators think that the past tense is used here for the future-the moon will be rent asunder at the approach of the resurrection. Firstly authentic traditions relate the cleaving asunder of the moon, secondly the observation "this is magic continuous" in verse 2 leaves no room for the speculation of the enemies of the Holy Prophet. Even the Qadiani commentators, who habitually deny miracles, accept the incident to have taken place.

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

Those who deny the miracle performed by the Holy Prophet will be punished as the people of Nuh were punished. Refer to verses 9 to 15."

If you believe that this refers to an event that had already happened, then you must also believe that the Hour of Judgement was "nigh" 1400 years ago.  No, the splitting of the moon is a prophecy of an event yet to come, a sign that will herald the Hour of Judgment.

LOL See the "Pooya commentary" above, non-Quranic scholar.  Your *****ic, pseudo-scholarly opinions mean nothing.

Anyone with even basic knowledge of Islamic eschatology knows that the meaning of the phrase "the hour of judgment is nigh" means that the splitting of the moon was one of the signs preceding the hour.  It did not mean that that hour was right around the corner.  In fact, there are many other signs which the Prophet stated had to occur before the hour would come.  Some of these signs have occurred.  Others have not.  One of the most significant signs will be the descent of Jesus (peace be upon him), which obviously has not happened yet.

Of course it makes sense.  Every new religion starts that way.

So it makes "sense" that Muhammad (peace be upon him) would have have invented his religious encounter in order to gain power and wealth, and then in his efforts to attain what he wanted, he antagonized the people he wanted it from?  Confused Thank you for once again showing how nonsensical your theories are!  

If Muhammad (peace be upon him) had wanted power, he needed to appeal to his people.  Attacking their religion and their way of life would not have been the best way to go about doing that!  If you disagree, then maybe you should try it yourself and see what happens!  It was nice knowing you Ron! Dead

My common sense tells me that the elites were already angry with him so he had nothing to lose in that regard.  My common sense tells me that he had more to fear from his friends and family who slept by his side, shared his table at dinner, etc.

Well then, your "common sense" could use a tune-up.  If the elites were already angry with him, they why did they make him such a lucrative offer?  They could have just continued to oppose him and make life difficult for him. 

As is typical of your inane babble, you completely ignored all the reasons I gave to show that your theories make no sense.  Your "common sense" can more fittingly be called "uncommon nonsense". 

So abandon his friends and family and accept protective custody with strangers?  That's your preferred scenario?

They weren't "strangers", you ignoramus.  Many of his most vile detractors were from his family.  His uncles Abu Jahl and Abu Lahab were the leaders of the opposition.  They were the ones who made the offer to him.

But he did exploit the predominant pagan beliefs.  Did I mention that "Allah" was one of the pagan gods?  As for declaring that all the other gods are false, why wouldn't he?  He's a liar.  He can say anything he wants.  To pretend to be Allah, the only god, would make him more powerful than saying he is just one of many.

Clap You just like making a fool of yourself, don't you?  

Did I mention that Allah was the title which ALL Arabs, whether Jew, Christian or pagan, used to refer to God?  Or do you not know how to read? 

Why would Satan start a new religion among a people who were already steeped in idol worship?  If anything, he would have wanted to continue the status quo.  Hence, making Muhammad (peace be upon him) think that one of the pagan gods, such as Hubal or the so-called "daughters of Allah" had chosen him would have made more sense. 

I would expect exactly that.  The best lies are wrapped in half-truths.  Of course he would say all the right things about justice and mercy and all that, to lull you into complacency.  Then he'd add just enough twists to cause mischief, inspire hatred of other groups, promote the likes of Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, etc. 

LOL What a load of nonsense!  The problem is that the rich people in Mecca opposed him for preaching social justice as well as attacking their religion.  To them, the idea of charity was anathema.  So, the only ones who were "lulled into complacency" were the poor and downtrodden while the rich and powerful remained obstinate.  That's not exactly an ideal situation for a supposed impostor or for Satan's plan to start a new religion for no apparent reason.

Furthermore, your idiocy and ignorance of what Islam teaches just goes to show that you are just another troll who pretends like he is interested in discussion but who is more interested in spreading his own false propaganda and prejudice.       

In fact, if I were such a mischievous spirit, I'd twist Islam one way, Christianity another, Hinduism another, and so on.  Then I'd be endlessly entertained as I watched them slaughter each other to prove which of them had the one true religion.  Just like they've been doing for the last few millennia, eh?

Well, don't worry.  You are not a "mischievous spirit", but you are one hell of a dumb guy!  Wink  For someone who doesn't even believe in "mischievous spirits", you certainly seem to know a lot about how they think. Shocked

Oh and like I said, it seems unlikely that a "mischievous spirit" would spend so much time on a prank, sticking with it for such a long time instead of just losing interest and moving to some other "prank".  This is all speculation, of course, but I love that I have gotten an atheist to make up assumptions about what Satan or a "mischievous spirit" might do! Big%20smile

It's not about Muhammad.  It's about the billions of Muslims and non-Muslims whose lives have been screwed up by religion.  I'd say that's worth a few decades of effort.

More mindless theorizing?  And now it's not about Muhammad, huh?  So, for some reason, the "mischievous spirit" had the foresight to know that starting a new religion would get people to kill each other, as if people didn't kill each for other reasons? 

And by the way, I and the majority of religious people, whether Muslim or non-Muslim, have not had our "lives screwed up by religion".  Your atheist mumbo-jumbo just goes to show how screwed up your views on religion are. 

By the way, some of the worst mass murderers in history were actually atheists.  Stalin and Mao Zedong  come to mind.  Moreover, people fight over many things, not just religion.  They fight over nationality, ethnicity, land, resources, wealth etc.  *****ic atheists such as yourself have just gotten bogged down on religion and have over-exaggerated its link to violence.  You should read David Berlinski's book "The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions" for more on the fallacy of your argument. 

Refuted?  He did own slaves at the time of his death, right?  So that alone refutes your claim of "mule, swords and some land".  And I think we can assume that all those wives lived in houses, with furniture and clothing and pots to cook in, etc.

Which slaves did he own at the time of his death? 

And more of your assumptions?  When will you get your head out of the ground?  When will you admit that you are just a crackpot atheist who pretends to be knowledgeable but who is just a pathetic ignoramus? 

The houses where the Prophet's wives lived were simple.  They were not mansions with "furniture and clothing and pots to cook in".  As I said before, food was a commodity in his household.  That was due to the self-imposed poverty in which he lived and which his wives also shared with him as a condition of living with him. 

He needed a special dispensation from God to justify more than four wives.  Sure, the pagans also practiced polygamy, but eleven?  Plus concubines and slaves, plus numerous annulments and broken engagements?  I think any culture, pagan or not, would find that excessive.

I think you are just an i-d-i-o-t who makes up "facts" without proof.  As I said, polygamy and concubinage were accepted institutions in Arabia (and around the world).

There was no limit on how many wives or concubines a person could have.  As scholar Karen Armstrong states:

"In seventh-century Arabia, when a man could have as many wives as he chose, to prescribe only four was a limitation, not a license to new oppression." ("Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet, p. 191)  

Let me be clear.  I agree that Muhammad was not interested in material possessions.  He cared about power, and he cared about women.  As a Prophet he got both, far more than he could have had as a successful trader.

If he wanted power, he would have accepted the offer he was made.  Your theories crumble in the face of the evidence.  And your uncommon nonsense only makes things worse for you.  Poor guy...Cry

I'm not sure where you got that quote, but here (in part) is what Maulana Muhammad Ali actually says (page 524) about this verse: "The splendours of this world were not forbidden to any Muslim, but such transitory vanities were not to be admitted into the household of God's Prophet.  As he possessed the means, his wives would be allowed to depart with rich and ample gifts, if such was their desire."

Maybe if you read the entire quote, you wouldn't make such a fool of yourself.  Here is the part that you deliberately ignored:

"If the Prophet had allowed his wives to share in the general prosperity of his community, there could not have been the least objection.  But he received a revelation which deprived him and those most nearly related to him of those material benefits which others could easily acquire."

His community was prospering.  If his wives wanted a piece of that prosperity, the Prophet would ensure that they would get it.

His first two wives, before he had significant power, were in their forties.  Try telling a woman in her forties that she is "elderly" and see how that goes. Wink  The rest were in their sexual prime, and most were described as beautiful.

Umm, demographics were a little different in those days.  What do you think the average lifespan was?  Was it the same as today?  Wink  A woman in her late forties or early fifties would have been beyond her sexual prime and could be referred to as being "elderly".  Hazrat Sawdah (may Allah be pleased with her) was not a young woman and was not in her prime, as Reza Aslan pointed out.     

Shocked I don't even know what to say in response to such a chauvinistic attitude.  Is that really how you value women?

Shocked I don't even know what to say in response to such an *****ic comment.  Wait, yes I do, and here it is: 

I wasn't saying anything about how I "value women", you i-d-i-o-t.  I was merely pointing out that a man who was only interested in sex would value virgins instead of widows.  Your idiocy and foolishness clearly knows no bounds! LOL     

Edited by islamispeace - 13 July 2014 at 5:12pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
  Share Topic