IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are These Acts of Idolatry?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are These Acts of Idolatry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

No, all you have are more crackpot theories.  You just literally make up arguments, irregardless of whether they make any sense or are supported by the evidence.  I responded to each of your "explanations" and showed why they were weak.  You didn't offer a rebuttal, besides more theories.  Again, that does seem to be your mantra.

It does not go unnoticed that Ron Webb still has no reasonable explanation, only crackpot theories...

Still avoiding this topic like the plague?  I guess I can't blame you.  Most people tend to avoid anything that might contradict their world view.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Andrew Eby Andrew Eby wrote:

To settle this argument you guys have here is the third eye point of view. Both of you are correct. If the Quran says like the Bible says that you shall not Bow before any Other God or Idol before me. Here lays the problem, I could say to you that your false as a follower Christ myself, but I won't because I do not believe that. The mere fact of bowing before ANYTHING is a symbol of worshiping, dedicating, repenting, talking is a form of idolizom no matter how put it, you can't play with words there. We all have the same beliefs just told diferently. Why do we have to fight or argue??!! Why can't we join together and share the secrets of the past as I have come to know myself through many years of reading and searching for the TRUTH. The TRUTH is our governments wants us to be like this, sheep without herder, cattle without it's wrangler, so easy to manipulate and distort the TRUTH, but just as BUDHA said " there are three things that cannot be long hidden; the sun, the moon and the TRUTH. We are finding the TRUTH, City of DWARKA found mythical place now proven not mythical. Huge city under Japan's water no name yet. Mayan or Incan city found under lake TITICACA. We are much much older then what main stream HISTORIANS have said for over thousands of years. Imformation is at your fingered tips my brothers and sisters. The day we come together as one PEOPLE, one GOD, one DESTINY is the day the world will know peace. So I ask YOU, Islam, Muslim, Buddhist, Jew, Catholic and very other religion, when do you really want to act like what believe in?? It's not with guns and war, it's with our mouths, pen and paper, the mass majority who are spiritual. We should all be at our governments front door. They are all not for the people of this PLANET. When can we start acting like a planet and stop with the race and religion and start growing with each others beliefs. We haven't figured out really who the heck we are yet let alone what happened in the past. So how can we sit here today and fight over this after thousands of years of doing so. We are like children in GODS eyes. Seriously think about it. We all believe that there is a GOD right?? So ask yourself how pissed off he is??!! I pray for the day we come together as a planet of humans and rejoice in our GOD and HIS MAJESTY. There is one thing in life that I do not get though is atheism. My point of view is that first there was noting, out of nothing came time, out of time came our GOD. Why do you think he knows the past present and future? Plus every word and every thought. That concept should open some eyes. I grew up in a Presbyterian house where my dad is the pastor. In my young years I thought to myself the world, universe had to much more grand then what the BIBLE told. I was right, one day I asked myself what reality meant to me. After a few months my eyes where open and it was like taking the red pill, TRUTH is our REALITY. REALITY is what a collective society and individual deem to be TRUE. That should be the defintion. Every theory you look up dances around the TRUTH. I have lots more knowledge for taking.   

Hi Andrew.  Welcome to the forum.  I do appreciate your attempts to promote peace, but we are merely having discussions.  We have disagreements, and there is passion on both sides.  That's okay. 

I disagree with you that we all have the same beliefs but told differently.  When you compare the various religions, there are certainly similarities.  For example, all religions emphasize compassion.  But there are also differences.  There is no denying this.  And in most cases, the differences are very significant.  For example, Christians worship Jesus.  Muslims do not.  Such a belief is anathema to us.  There just cannot be any compromise in this regard.     
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 10:34pm

Hi Andrew.  Welcome to the forum.  I do appreciate your attempts to promote peace, but we are merely having discussions.  We have disagreements, and there is passion on both sides.  That's okay. 

I disagree with you that we all have the same beliefs but told differently.  When you compare the various religions, there are certainly similarities.  For example, all religions emphasize compassion.  But there are also differences.  There is no denying this.  And in most cases, the differences are very significant.  For example, Christians worship Jesus.  Muslims do not.  Such a belief is anathema to us.  There just cannot be any compromise in this regard. 

Greetings islamispeace,

I could say that muslims worship Muhammad, based on behavior.

It is wrong to say that Christians worship Jesus.  They worship God.

Christians are led to God through Yshwe.
Just as you would say that muslims are led to allah through Muhammad.
Muhammad is no less revered than Yshwe.
The only difference is that Yshwe told His disciples;
"I and My Father are One." 
This is a mystery we try to understand... how God could come to earth in the form of the Son... but the Creator is a mystery that we should not expect to understand all that He does, or all aspects of what He is able to do.  We have the mind of human, not Creator.
�Can you fathom the mysteries of God?
    Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
They are higher than the heavens above�what can you do?
    They are deeper than the depths below�what can you know?
Their measure is longer than the earth
    and wider than the sea.  Smile
asalaam.

Edited by Caringheart - 15 August 2014 at 10:36pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Andrew Eby Andrew Eby wrote:

To settle this argument you guys have here is the third eye point of view. Both of you are correct. If the Quran says like the Bible says that you shall not Bow before any Other God or Idol before me. Here lays the problem, I could say to you that your false as a follower Christ myself, but I won't because I do not believe that. The mere fact of bowing before ANYTHING is a symbol of worshiping, dedicating, repenting, talking is a form of idolizom no matter how put it, you can't play with words there. We all have the same beliefs just told diferently. Why do we have to fight or argue??!! Why can't we join together and share the secrets of the past as I have come to know myself through many years of reading and searching for the TRUTH. The TRUTH is our governments wants us to be like this, sheep without herder, cattle without it's wrangler, so easy to manipulate and distort the TRUTH, but just as BUDHA said " there are three things that cannot be long hidden; the sun, the moon and the TRUTH. We are finding the TRUTH, City of DWARKA found mythical place now proven not mythical. Huge city under Japan's water no name yet. Mayan or Incan city found under lake TITICACA. We are much much older then what main stream HISTORIANS have said for over thousands of years. Imformation is at your fingered tips my brothers and sisters. The day we come together as one PEOPLE, one GOD, one DESTINY is the day the world will know peace. So I ask YOU, Islam, Muslim, Buddhist, Jew, Catholic and very other religion, when do you really want to act like what believe in?? It's not with guns and war, it's with our mouths, pen and paper, the mass majority who are spiritual. We should all be at our governments front door. They are all not for the people of this PLANET. When can we start acting like a planet and stop with the race and religion and start growing with each others beliefs. We haven't figured out really who the heck we are yet let alone what happened in the past. So how can we sit here today and fight over this after thousands of years of doing so. We are like children in GODS eyes. Seriously think about it. We all believe that there is a GOD right?? So ask yourself how pissed off he is??!! I pray for the day we come together as a planet of humans and rejoice in our GOD and HIS MAJESTY. There is one thing in life that I do not get though is atheism. My point of view is that first there was noting, out of nothing came time, out of time came our GOD. Why do you think he knows the past present and future? Plus every word and every thought. That concept should open some eyes. I grew up in a Presbyterian house where my dad is the pastor. In my young years I thought to myself the world, universe had to much more grand then what the BIBLE told. I was right, one day I asked myself what reality meant to me. After a few months my eyes where open and it was like taking the red pill, TRUTH is our REALITY. REALITY is what a collective society and individual deem to be TRUE. That should be the defintion. Every theory you look up dances around the TRUTH. I have lots more knowledge for taking.   

Thumbs%20Up
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 10:39pm

By the way, you might want to read Graham Fuller's book "A World Without Islam".  He provides some key insights, if you are really interested in this hypothetical scenario. 

Sounds like a worth the while read.  Smile

Edited by Caringheart - 15 August 2014 at 10:44pm
Blessed be God forever
Andrew Eby View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Eby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2014 at 2:04am
Equation for reality or the truth as I would say.

Cp-p=r>p
Cp- common properties/ commonalities of all of life
P-probability (false)
R- reality (true)

Reality has to be greater than probability. Basic understanding of TRUTH is that you have to acknowledge that there is truth in false and false in truth. Until the day the TRUTH is fully revealed by our governments and leaders of the Catholic Church
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2014 at 9:28am

Again, you are going in circles.  Comparing Catholic veneration of statues to a picture of your wife is absurd.  Do you make prayers to the picture?  Do you make offerings to it (as at least most Hindus do)?

Not me personally.  I'm not actually a sentimental type.  But I know lots of people who are, and I could easily imagine them talking to a picture when no one is around.

An better example would be how people treat the dead.  I've seen lots of graves that look like shrines.  Some even have pictures of the deceased.  Relatives visit regularly, bring flowers and other gifts, have "conversations" with the dead, etc.  These people know perfectly well that their loved ones are departed and only the corpse or the ashes are buried there.  It's all symbolism.  But it comforts them to do these things.

Quote Suppose that Mary or the saints were physically present on the earth.  Obviously, in that situation, a statue would definitely not be necessary?  Correct?

No, not correct at all.  No more correct than suggesting that because my wife is physically present on earth, then a picture of her is not necessary.

Quote So, Catholics would pray to the literal Mary or to a literal saint.  Would that not be idolatry?  Now, replace the literal Mary or the literal saint with a statue.  What changes?  Prayers are still being made to a physical object, even if it is a "symbol" which represents the actual being.  Is that not idolatry?

No, prayers are still being made to Mary, not to a physical object.  If I call my wife on the phone, I'm still talking to my wife, even though my voice is being directed to a physical device.

Quote Here is some more research.  In most Hindu temples, the idol is "woken up" every morning and given a bath.  Here is how a Hindu source describes it:

"Early in the morning, generally before sunrise, they wake him up to the accompaniment of music and devotional hymns, give him a bath, dress him up fully and gloriously and then worship him with all ardor and fervor making various offerings and chanting hymns of encomiums." (http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/pantheonfaq.asp)

Is this all "symbolic"?  Is this something you would do to a mere "symbol"?

Of course it is.  They obviously can't do those things to the "real" god, so they do it symbolically.

Quote The source also states that sometimes the idol actually responds!  Would a mere symbol respond to acts of worship?

"But sometimes as recorded by human experience, the idols do respond and converse with man."

Yes, as in the so-called "milk miracle", for instance.  You believe it was demons acting through the idols.  The Hindus believed it was the gods themselves.  Just as if Muhammad "split the moon", it would actually be Allah acting through Muhammad, not Muhammad himself performing the miracle.

Quote Even your so-called "humanists" have been the cause of great violence in the world.

Such as?

Memory loss again?  Stalin? Mao?  Pol Pot?  Remember?

Do you even know what "humanism" is?

Quote Since we know that people from all walks of life, whether religious or not, are capable of violence and persecution of others, it is not hard to imagine that the world would not be very different if Islam did not exist.  Of course, I cannot prove what the world would have been like in this alternate reality, but neither can you prove that there would been "less intolerance and persecution".  It's hilarious how you ask for proof of an hypothetical scenario when in all your time suggesting your crackpot theories, you have not provide one iota of evidence to support them.  Bozo being Bozo...

I wouldn't ask for proof of a hypothetical.  I said I'd like to see you make the case for it.  It's interesting that your response was that the world would not be very different.  So you agree that "the religion of peace" has not not brought peace to the world?

There has been a state of almost continuous tension between Christianity and Islam ever since the beginning, with innumerable wars and incalculable bloodshed.  Are you sure this isn't something that Satan would have wanted to bring about?

Quote By the way, you might want to read Graham Fuller's book "A World Without Islam".  He provides some key insights, if you are really interested in this hypothetical scenario.

Thanks, I'll see if I can track it down at my local library.  Meanwhile, I have enough reading just trying to get through your posts.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Not me personally.  I'm not actually a sentimental type.  But I know lots of people who are, and I could easily imagine them talking to a picture when no one is around.

An better example would be how people treat the dead.  I've seen lots of graves that look like shrines.  Some even have pictures of the deceased.  Relatives visit regularly, bring flowers and other gifts, have "conversations" with the dead, etc.  These people know perfectly well that their loved ones are departed and only the corpse or the ashes are buried there.  It's all symbolism.  But it comforts them to do these things.

This is again an absurd comparison.  Praying to a statue is completely different from "talking" to a loved one at their grave.  First of all, for people who believe in the afterlife, a loved one who has passed on is not just a "corpse" or "ashes", because the soul still exists.  So, conversing with the departed makes sense in the regard.  In fact, it is stated in a hadith that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) would greet the "inmates of the graves" and pray to Allah that they be granted safety and forgiveness (of course, there is nothing in the Islamic sources about being able to have actual "conversation" with the dead).  Now, of course, there are some people who take graves as literal "shrines" and even pray to the dead person.  This is also idolatry.  Some extremist Sufi sects practice this as well.  This is all shirk and a grave sin.

No, not correct at all.  No more correct than suggesting that because my wife is physically present on earth, then a picture of her is not necessary.

LOL How do you know?  Do you think there were statues of Mary when she was still alive (assuming people actually prayed to her)?  What about Jesus?  Obviously, if Mary was physically present, for example, in front of the Pope, he would not need a statue to pray to her.  He could just tell her what he wanted! 

No, prayers are still being made to Mary, not to a physical object.  If I call my wife on the phone, I'm still talking to my wife, even though my voice is being directed to a physical device.

LOL Is Mary, or any other person, not a "physical object"? Confused 

Of course it is.  They obviously can't do those things to the "real" god, so they do it symbolically.

Are you kidding?  If it was all "symbolic", then there would be no need to use music to "wake up" the idol (and yes, it is the idol that is being literally "woken" up).  There would also be no need to "bathe" the idol (and yes, it is the idol that is literally being "bathed").  This is all literal, not symbolic.  Your special pleading will get you no where.   

Yes, as in the so-called "milk miracle", for instance.  You believe it was demons acting through the idols.  The Hindus believed it was the gods themselves.  Just as if Muhammad "split the moon", it would actually be Allah acting through Muhammad, not Muhammad himself performing the miracle.

And you believe it was either capillary action, evaporation, mass hysteria, observational error etc., and yet after being confronted with the facts, you have avoided further discussion!  LOL

Do you even know what "humanism" is?

Yes, I know what "humanism" is and I also know that atheistic apologists are embarrassed at the fact that fellow atheists have committed monstrous acts of violence (despite their insistence to the contrary), so they use the word "humanism" instead, because it sounds so much better.  Big%20smile

The reality is that using different words does not change the fact that atheists are a bunch of clowns who try to whitewash history. 

By the way, do you even know what "Islam" is?  I think not! 

I wouldn't ask for proof of a hypothetical.  I said I'd like to see you make the case for it.  It's interesting that your response was that the world would not be very different.  So you agree that "the religion of peace" has not not brought peace to the world?

No, you ninny, that's not what I said.  I said that even if Islam did not exist, the world would still be a violent place.  People are the problem, not some ideology or religion.  So even if Islam did not exist, the problems in the Middle East (for example) would still exist.  Conversely, if people actually followed the tenets of Islam, then the world would be a much better place. 

In fact, I would actually say that if Islam did not exist, the world would be a much worse place, because then there would not be the moral compass of Islamic tenets to persuade people to avoid sinful behavior, such as violence against the innocent.  Islam abolished savage acts like female infanticide, tribal war etc.  It also jump-started the European Renaissance.  If it did not exist, then it is unlikely that the Renaissance would have ever occurred.  At the very least, the Renaissance would have been delayed for hundreds of years.

There has been a state of almost continuous tension between Christianity and Islam ever since the beginning, with innumerable wars and incalculable bloodshed.  Are you sure this isn't something that Satan would have wanted to bring about?

LOL There you go again with your clownish statements.  Satan could just as easily have caused "continuous tension" by spreading the pagan religion instead, wouldn't you say?  After all, the Christians weren't exactly known for their tolerance of other religions and as we have seen, polytheists have also been know for their intolerance! 

And yet, with the spread of Islam, many once oppressed communities (including Christians themselves) were given much more freedom than they previously had.  Even Christians themselves admit this!  For example, author David Bercot has observed:

"Sadly to say, when the Muslim armies invaded Egypt in 639, most Christians in Egypt welcomed them as liberators, for they fared better at the hands of the Muslims than they did at the hands of their fellow Christians." ("Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up: A New Look at Today�s Evangelical Church in the Light of Early Christianity� p. 123")

Also, i-d-i-o-t-s like you tend to ignore the fact (or are completely oblivious to the fact) that in many cases, Muslim and Christian leaders showed mutual respect to each other and did not have "continuous tension" between them.  For example, the Abbasid caliph Harun Al-Rashid had friendly relations with Charlemagne and each would send gifts to the other.

I hardly think that all of this was part of Satan's plan!  LOL 

Thanks, I'll see if I can track it down at my local library.  Meanwhile, I have enough reading just trying to get through your posts.

Oh, you're making me cry! Cry 

If you are at all interested in learning about Islam, free of all your m-o-r-o-n-i-c prejudices, then you should be much more enthusiastic at all the "reading" you have to do.  But, I know that you are just another Islamophobe living in his fantasy world, so I frankly doubt that you are interested in really learning anything.  I have suggested a few books already for you to read.  Will you actually read them?  Time will tell, but I doubt that you will. 

Edited by islamispeace - 17 August 2014 at 12:28pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic