IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are These Acts of Idolatry?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are These Acts of Idolatry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

By the way, you might want to read Graham Fuller's book "A World Without Islam".  He provides some key insights, if you are really interested in this hypothetical scenario. 

Sounds like a worth the while read.  Smile

Edited by Caringheart - 15 August 2014 at 10:44pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Andrew Eby Andrew Eby wrote:

To settle this argument you guys have here is the third eye point of view. Both of you are correct. If the Quran says like the Bible says that you shall not Bow before any Other God or Idol before me. Here lays the problem, I could say to you that your false as a follower Christ myself, but I won't because I do not believe that. The mere fact of bowing before ANYTHING is a symbol of worshiping, dedicating, repenting, talking is a form of idolizom no matter how put it, you can't play with words there. We all have the same beliefs just told diferently. Why do we have to fight or argue??!! Why can't we join together and share the secrets of the past as I have come to know myself through many years of reading and searching for the TRUTH. The TRUTH is our governments wants us to be like this, sheep without herder, cattle without it's wrangler, so easy to manipulate and distort the TRUTH, but just as BUDHA said " there are three things that cannot be long hidden; the sun, the moon and the TRUTH. We are finding the TRUTH, City of DWARKA found mythical place now proven not mythical. Huge city under Japan's water no name yet. Mayan or Incan city found under lake TITICACA. We are much much older then what main stream HISTORIANS have said for over thousands of years. Imformation is at your fingered tips my brothers and sisters. The day we come together as one PEOPLE, one GOD, one DESTINY is the day the world will know peace. So I ask YOU, Islam, Muslim, Buddhist, Jew, Catholic and very other religion, when do you really want to act like what believe in?? It's not with guns and war, it's with our mouths, pen and paper, the mass majority who are spiritual. We should all be at our governments front door. They are all not for the people of this PLANET. When can we start acting like a planet and stop with the race and religion and start growing with each others beliefs. We haven't figured out really who the heck we are yet let alone what happened in the past. So how can we sit here today and fight over this after thousands of years of doing so. We are like children in GODS eyes. Seriously think about it. We all believe that there is a GOD right?? So ask yourself how pissed off he is??!! I pray for the day we come together as a planet of humans and rejoice in our GOD and HIS MAJESTY. There is one thing in life that I do not get though is atheism. My point of view is that first there was noting, out of nothing came time, out of time came our GOD. Why do you think he knows the past present and future? Plus every word and every thought. That concept should open some eyes. I grew up in a Presbyterian house where my dad is the pastor. In my young years I thought to myself the world, universe had to much more grand then what the BIBLE told. I was right, one day I asked myself what reality meant to me. After a few months my eyes where open and it was like taking the red pill, TRUTH is our REALITY. REALITY is what a collective society and individual deem to be TRUE. That should be the defintion. Every theory you look up dances around the TRUTH. I have lots more knowledge for taking.   

Thumbs%20Up
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 10:34pm

Hi Andrew.  Welcome to the forum.  I do appreciate your attempts to promote peace, but we are merely having discussions.  We have disagreements, and there is passion on both sides.  That's okay. 

I disagree with you that we all have the same beliefs but told differently.  When you compare the various religions, there are certainly similarities.  For example, all religions emphasize compassion.  But there are also differences.  There is no denying this.  And in most cases, the differences are very significant.  For example, Christians worship Jesus.  Muslims do not.  Such a belief is anathema to us.  There just cannot be any compromise in this regard. 

Greetings islamispeace,

I could say that muslims worship Muhammad, based on behavior.

It is wrong to say that Christians worship Jesus.  They worship God.

Christians are led to God through Yshwe.
Just as you would say that muslims are led to allah through Muhammad.
Muhammad is no less revered than Yshwe.
The only difference is that Yshwe told His disciples;
"I and My Father are One." 
This is a mystery we try to understand... how God could come to earth in the form of the Son... but the Creator is a mystery that we should not expect to understand all that He does, or all aspects of what He is able to do.  We have the mind of human, not Creator.
�Can you fathom the mysteries of God?
    Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
They are higher than the heavens above�what can you do?
    They are deeper than the depths below�what can you know?
Their measure is longer than the earth
    and wider than the sea.  Smile
asalaam.

Edited by Caringheart - 15 August 2014 at 10:36pm
Blessed be God forever
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Andrew Eby Andrew Eby wrote:

To settle this argument you guys have here is the third eye point of view. Both of you are correct. If the Quran says like the Bible says that you shall not Bow before any Other God or Idol before me. Here lays the problem, I could say to you that your false as a follower Christ myself, but I won't because I do not believe that. The mere fact of bowing before ANYTHING is a symbol of worshiping, dedicating, repenting, talking is a form of idolizom no matter how put it, you can't play with words there. We all have the same beliefs just told diferently. Why do we have to fight or argue??!! Why can't we join together and share the secrets of the past as I have come to know myself through many years of reading and searching for the TRUTH. The TRUTH is our governments wants us to be like this, sheep without herder, cattle without it's wrangler, so easy to manipulate and distort the TRUTH, but just as BUDHA said " there are three things that cannot be long hidden; the sun, the moon and the TRUTH. We are finding the TRUTH, City of DWARKA found mythical place now proven not mythical. Huge city under Japan's water no name yet. Mayan or Incan city found under lake TITICACA. We are much much older then what main stream HISTORIANS have said for over thousands of years. Imformation is at your fingered tips my brothers and sisters. The day we come together as one PEOPLE, one GOD, one DESTINY is the day the world will know peace. So I ask YOU, Islam, Muslim, Buddhist, Jew, Catholic and very other religion, when do you really want to act like what believe in?? It's not with guns and war, it's with our mouths, pen and paper, the mass majority who are spiritual. We should all be at our governments front door. They are all not for the people of this PLANET. When can we start acting like a planet and stop with the race and religion and start growing with each others beliefs. We haven't figured out really who the heck we are yet let alone what happened in the past. So how can we sit here today and fight over this after thousands of years of doing so. We are like children in GODS eyes. Seriously think about it. We all believe that there is a GOD right?? So ask yourself how pissed off he is??!! I pray for the day we come together as a planet of humans and rejoice in our GOD and HIS MAJESTY. There is one thing in life that I do not get though is atheism. My point of view is that first there was noting, out of nothing came time, out of time came our GOD. Why do you think he knows the past present and future? Plus every word and every thought. That concept should open some eyes. I grew up in a Presbyterian house where my dad is the pastor. In my young years I thought to myself the world, universe had to much more grand then what the BIBLE told. I was right, one day I asked myself what reality meant to me. After a few months my eyes where open and it was like taking the red pill, TRUTH is our REALITY. REALITY is what a collective society and individual deem to be TRUE. That should be the defintion. Every theory you look up dances around the TRUTH. I have lots more knowledge for taking.   

Hi Andrew.  Welcome to the forum.  I do appreciate your attempts to promote peace, but we are merely having discussions.  We have disagreements, and there is passion on both sides.  That's okay. 

I disagree with you that we all have the same beliefs but told differently.  When you compare the various religions, there are certainly similarities.  For example, all religions emphasize compassion.  But there are also differences.  There is no denying this.  And in most cases, the differences are very significant.  For example, Christians worship Jesus.  Muslims do not.  Such a belief is anathema to us.  There just cannot be any compromise in this regard.     
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:20pm

No, all you have are more crackpot theories.  You just literally make up arguments, irregardless of whether they make any sense or are supported by the evidence.  I responded to each of your "explanations" and showed why they were weak.  You didn't offer a rebuttal, besides more theories.  Again, that does seem to be your mantra.

It does not go unnoticed that Ron Webb still has no reasonable explanation, only crackpot theories...

Still avoiding this topic like the plague?  I guess I can't blame you.  Most people tend to avoid anything that might contradict their world view.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Yes, they should be able to, and they can and they do.  But they like having images of their gods, just as I like having a picture of my wife on my desk.  So what?  That doesn't mean I am in love with a picture.

Again, you are going in circles.  Comparing Catholic veneration of statues to a picture of your wife is absurd.  Do you make prayers to the picture?  Do you make offerings to it (as at least most Hindus do)? 

Suppose that Mary or the saints were physically present on the earth.  Obviously, in that situation, a statue would definitely not be necessary?  Correct?  So, Catholics would pray to the literal Mary or to a literal saint.  Would that not be idolatry?  Now, replace the literal Mary or the literal saint with a statue.  What changes?  Prayers are still being made to a physical object, even if it is a "symbol" which represents the actual being.  Is that not idolatry?

Then show me the research.  Don't just show me pictures that prove nothing unless you assume your conclusion beforehand, as you already admitted.

I have shown you the research already.  You have simply rejected it.  I have provided material from websites.  I have provided pictures and videos. 

Here is some more research.  In most Hindu temples, the idol is "woken up" every morning and given a bath.  Here is how a Hindu source describes it:

"Early in the morning, generally before sunrise, they wake him up to the accompaniment of music and devotional hymns, give him a bath, dress him up fully and gloriously and then worship him with all ardor and fervor making various offerings and chanting hymns of encomiums." (http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/pantheonfaq.asp

Is this all "symbolic"?  Is this something you would do to a mere "symbol"? Shocked

If the idols are symbolic (which they are), then obviously offerings to it are also symbolic.  But no, I don't have all the answers.  (Unlike you, apparently.)  If I needed to understand their symbolism in detail, I would ask a Hindu.

LOL The same source explained in detail the various rituals that Hindus perform on these alleged "symbols", as shown above.  Moreover, the same source states clearly:

"A devout Hindu is not much ashamed of going to a temple and bowing before an idol.  He has no hesitation to stand in front of it and speak to it as if he is talking to an individual with the faith and devotion that is exemplary."

The source also states that sometimes the idol actually responds!  Would a mere symbol respond to acts of worship?

"But sometimes as recorded by human experience, the idols do respond and converse with man."

Such as?

Memory loss again?  Stalin? Mao?  Pol Pot?  Remember? Wink

Yup, polytheists can and do persecute others.  The question is, is there less intolerance and persecution in the world now, with Islam, than there would have been without it?  I'd love to see you make the case for that. Wink

LOL Oh, your clownish responses make me laugh! 

Since we know that people from all walks of life, whether religious or not, are capable of violence and persecution of others, it is not hard to imagine that the world would not be very different if Islam did not exist.  Of course, I cannot prove what the world would have been like in this alternate reality, but neither can you prove that there would been "less intolerance and persecution".  It's hilarious how you ask for proof of an hypothetical scenario when in all your time suggesting your crackpot theories, you have not provide one iota of evidence to support them.  Bozo being Bozo... Clown

By the way, you might want to read Graham Fuller's book "A World Without Islam".  He provides some key insights, if you are really interested in this hypothetical scenario. 

Your reading list is getting bigger by the day!  LOL  I sure hope you do some reading, if you are really interested in seeking answers.  Of course, if you don't, I won't mind.  It will just confirm that you are just a troll who has a very prejudiced view of Islam and Muslims.  Surprise, surprise!

Edited by islamispeace - 15 August 2014 at 8:18pm

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 9:21am

I already pointed that out, dummy.  I already stated that both Catholics and Hindus should be able to pray without the use of idols, but that's the point!  They deliberately use idols!  You are the one "wasting time with...foolishness" because you refuse to acknowledge what can be be plainly observed.  The Agnostic Code has really blinded you to clear facts.

Yes, they should be able to, and they can and they do.  But they like having images of their gods, just as I like having a picture of my wife on my desk.  So what?  That doesn't mean I am in love with a picture.

It's not based on observation if you have to know the answer beforehand.  That's called prejudice.  By observation alone, you cannot know the intent of the person praying.

Observation is based on research, dummy!

Then show me the research.  Don't just show me pictures that prove nothing unless you assume your conclusion beforehand, as you already admitted.

Quote So, now I should ask a Hindu?  If you don't know the answers, then why the hell are you making silly arguments that you cannot even support?  Did you ask a Hindu that the offerings are "symbolic", or was that just your own "suspicion"?

If the idols are symbolic (which they are), then obviously offerings to it are also symbolic.  But no, I don't have all the answers.  (Unlike you, apparently.)  If I needed to understand their symbolism in detail, I would ask a Hindu.

Quote Idol worshipers are just as capable of violence as anyone else.  Even your so-called "humanists" have been the cause of great violence in the world.

Such as?

Some do, some don't.  The question is, are monotheist religions more likely than polytheist ones to be intolerant of other beliefs?  I can't give you any statistics, but you only have to watch the nightly news to know the answer to that.  You've given me a few examples of polytheists.  I could give you dozens, maybe hundreds, of Muslim/Islamist examples alone.

Even if this was true, it does nothing to change the fact that polytheists can and do persecute others.  Therefore, your argument is moot.  Satan would have known that polytheists can also be driven to "intolerance".

Yup, polytheists can and do persecute others.  The question is, is there less intolerance and persecution in the world now, with Islam, than there would have been without it?  I'd love to see you make the case for that. Wink
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 9:10pm

No, all you have are more crackpot theories.  You just literally make up arguments, irregardless of whether they make any sense or are supported by the evidence.  I responded to each of your "explanations" and showed why they were weak.  You didn't offer a rebuttal, besides more theories.  Again, that does seem to be your mantra.

It does not go unnoticed that Ron Webb still has no reasonable explanation, only crackpot theories...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic