IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamophobic Freak Show  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamophobic Freak Show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islamophobic Freak Show
    Posted: 18 June 2014 at 1:30pm
Although its reputation for intellectual seriousness was previously overstated, those who worried that former South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint�s ascension as chief of the Heritage Foundation would lead to the right-wing think tank�s disgrace are looking mighty prescient after a Monday afternoon panel on the Benghazi attack�s lingering �unanswered questions� devolved into a bigoted freak show.

When one considers the panelists involved, it�s unlikely the so-called discussion was ever going to go too well. Alongside straight-up crank and professional bigot Frank Gaffney, Heritage also invited ACT! for America�s Brigitte Gabriel (known for repeatedly describing Muslims as �barbarians�) and Citizens� Commission on Benghazi�s Clare Lopez (who previously described the Obama administration as having �switched sides� in the war on terror). Leading the conversation was Chris Plante, a conservative talk radio host.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/17/heritage_foundation_benghazi_panel_descends_into_islamophobic_freak_show/
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2014 at 7:23am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V5L3lyZ9p8
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2014 at 2:44pm
I fail to see how it was an 'Islamophobic Freak Show'

These were my reactions:

1st speaker spoke clearly, calmly, and intelligently.  I believe he makes all good points.

2nd speaker also, makes legitimate, good points.  I just wish she could have done so without anger.

I feel bad for the poor muslim female who so kindly and politely asked her question, and I do understand her concern, but the 2nd speaker makes a legitimate point... if the muslim female is an american citizen why is she there to defend muslims rather than to speak up for the americans that were killed?  I always have to ask, as any country would ask... where does the loyalty lie?  Is it with the country that is providing the good life, or somewhere else... would it be with those that would take over and destroy the country you live in as you know it, simply because they represent Islam/muslim identity?  Would there be a belief that the new order would still provide the good life come to be known thanks to western democracy?  Would 'American muslims' defend the country of the United States against Islamists if they were to come to their country?  Or would they stand with them?  This is the question every muslim should be asking themselves.   It is the question every freedom loving American or westerner must ask themselves.  It is the reason for the uncertainty and the fear. 
You want to know that the people of your country, the ones you stand shoulder to shoulder with, and work side by side with... your neighbors and co-workers... will stand side by side, and shoulder to shoulder, with you to defend that country and the life that it gives.

I am glad that she got to respond with the final word.  I think she was very sweet, kind, considerate, and appropriate in her response.

Edited by Caringheart - 28 June 2014 at 2:46pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2014 at 4:20pm
Note, my last comments were on the first link.

I am not a fan of Hannity, but I did go on to watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrilgYRauZY
 (I did watch the whole thing but would say it is only worth watching up to the 23 minute mark)
These were my observations:

Is there any such thing as a 'moderate muslim', or if they were to speak out would they not be considered apostate... unbelievers... as going against Islam?  Can one denounce sharia without denouncing Islam?  This is where the problem is.  They can not speak out, without being considered enemies within their own communities.

Oddly when I listen to the Republican arguments, and the Democratic arguments... they both make sense.  The Republicans warned what would happen, and it has...
but the Democrats are also correct that this senseless killing must be stopped on the ideological level.  I understand how the Americans, and others, feel about having sacrificed enough, indeed, too many, of their sons in these battles.
(regarding Hilary Clinton, in my opinion she is a waste of air and needs to just disappear from the earth Unhappy)

I believe in the woman who understands arabic, and so knows what is said behind backs, and behind doors.  I have had these same experiences of understanding, when people thought I could not.
I believe in the military men who have been there, and seen first hand, the situation.
I mostly agree that Obama only cared about himself, and his 'legacy'.
But I do feel there was also an element of the American public being tired of this war with no end, and no good outcome, in sight.  Does it make sense to keep fighting for a people who have no appreciation for what you are fighting for?  (If you build schools, and power plants, and they blow them up) 
If they wanted us out, does it make sense to stay?  But again, I think those closest to the situation... those military personnel would be the best judges of that, knowing the situation on the ground.

To say, 'they aren't intelligent enough' though, is just arrogance and ignorant to say.  The young woman says it correctly, it is a difference of culture, and culture takes time to grow and change.  Education is necessary.  It has nothing to do with lack of intelligence, just a lack of adequate ecucation... but if they reject education... what if they reject growth... then what?  Then they remain in tyranny and ruled by tyrants who impose evil, and oppression.

Brigitte loses integrity because of her loud mouth, and impoliteness.  She may speak truth, but the way she speaks causes her to lose my respect and thus my belief.
  I could do without the whole middle segment of this.
... to just keep calling someone a liar is just rude and obnoxious.  If you want to discuss points, then discuss points, but Brigitte acted like a fool.

The whole discussion, in my opinion, devolves after the 23 minute mark.

Edited by Caringheart - 28 June 2014 at 4:22pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2014 at 4:36pm
Caringheart wrote: I fail to see how it was an 'Islamophobic Freak Show'

I agree.

I just watched both videos, and I pretty well agree with all the points that the non-muslims made.

(ASIDE: the muslim woman claimed that there are 1.8 billion muslims world wide, and 8 million muslims in the USA. More accurate numbers are 1.2 billion world wide, and 2 million in the USA.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic