IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Struggles with Ramadan  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Struggles with Ramadan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shijabi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Struggles with Ramadan
    Posted: 17 June 2014 at 12:59am
Assalaam aleikum, I've been a Muslim for three years and I am struggling increasingly with the demands of Islam. I do not want to leave Islam, so I cope as best as I can. But Ramadan is coming soon and I groan as I have struggled to fast. I have 18 days from the previous years to catch up and am nowhere near even fasting to do that. Now I have to fast in Ramadan and it makes me depressed. I hear so much from the Ulama on TV that Ramadan is this 'blessed' time, that you must look forward to it and prepare for it blah blah blah. But nothing is said to help those people like me who struggle to fast and who don't like Ramadan. There was this sheikh who condemned those people saying if you don't like Ramadan you are not a man of Allah. I got angry and hurt when he said that, and thought yes, you guys are so bloody perfect you looooove Ramadan, but you don't even consider those who suffer and struggle in fasting. And what about those with mental illness? Can they break their fast if it gets too hard? I have schizophrenia and when I am in an episode and get sick, I can't fast. Am I to be condemned by Allah for that? Or because I am too scared to go on Hajj with all its hardships because of my illness and weakness? Where's the joy in being a Muslim?
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 9:07pm
Assalamalecum,as u said u r sick, so u can skip fast but make amendments of those fasts as Allah mentioned in Quran in ch 2 v 184, Allah says in ch 2 v 185 that Allah had not made ramadan tough for us.moreover we r not here to enjoy as a muslim in this world, the real joy of being a muslim will b given on judgement day.
aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2014 at 10:31pm
Feed three poor people for each day of fasting you miss. If you cannot afford this, do whatever good you are able to...
Respectfully
aka2x2
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2014 at 7:47am
Shijabi your illness may become worse from fasting, and you may want to discuss this with your doctor. You can enjoy other aspects of this month such as prayer and reflection, along with, as mentioned above, charity and feeding the poor. Many Muslim do not fast Ramadan for medical reasons.
zliya View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zliya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 9:13am
Salams Sister. Converting can be difficult and I suggest to not throw your full self into the religion if you are not able to. It's difficult to change yourself completely and quickly to that of Islam's demands at the first try. Or else you will only become frustrated and hateful towards the religion. So take it slow. I do suggest not to hate Ramadan though. If you can not fast then that is fine. Specially if you are new to it. Take ur time. If you can not do it a whole month then do it for a few days and increase the amount of fasting the next year. Allah will understand why you are taking things slow. As for medical reasons, it is not recommended for you to fast.
I have type 1 diabetes since I was 9 and my doctors have advised me against fasting. So during Ramadan, I try my best to wake up with my family to eat that morning meal because recently I heard that it is good to do so. I also pray, recite, and make dua a lot when I am able to. Because I have not been fasting, my parents give money to the poor for each fasting I missed. If you can not afford to give money then do whatever you can for charity or just help people.
I wish you all the best Sister. May Allah guide and help you through your journey.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic