IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Moon  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2014 at 3:33am
Ok if it makes you guys happy.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2014 at 3:46pm
Abu Loren, I have hope for you yet.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2014 at 3:14am
In the end I think that this example is very interesting.
Abu Loren insists that he has "really seen" it, whereas the others (me included) doubt that the observation which he certainly made contains any "physical truth" in the sense that the moon really changed it's speed.
The reason why I think that this example is relevant is because it illustrates the (frequent) divergence between what we feel and think and the measurable "objective" world. Besides the laws of physics one of my strongest arguments against his interpretation is (please see the second post at the beginning of this thread) that nobody else in the world has observed it (at least nobody reporting to it to any newspaper for example). It means probably millions of independent observation in conflict with one (or two) local observations. In addition there have been measuring devices all over the world which didn't detect anything either.
I don't doubt that you (Abu Loren) really "felt" it the way you describe, but there is (I repeat myself) very strong outer evidence that [the interpretation of]your observation is flawed. May be this can serve as an example that what we feel (as strong as the feeling may be) is not necessarily correct. Independent (multiple) observation, confirmation and measurements (preferably intercultural) from outside are likely to bring you closer to the "truth".

Up to you to draw further conclusions about [your] religion from it.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 14 June 2014 at 3:24am
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2014 at 3:44am
Last night the moon was behind us during the same time scale.

I'm now beginning to believe in the popular theory of the moon being a projection. (The real moon hidden).

Having said all that, at around 4am when I went for Fajr prayer the moon was at the same position or thereabouts and very bright. This being the middle of the month. (Full moon).
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2014 at 3:41am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

In the end I think that this example is very interesting.
Abu Loren insists that he has "really seen" it, whereas the others (me included) doubt that the observation which he certainly made contains any "physical truth" in the sense that the moon really changed it's speed.
The reason why I think that this example is relevant is because it illustrates the (frequent) divergence between what we feel and think and the measurable "objective" world. Besides the laws of physics one of my strongest arguments against his interpretation is (please see the second post at the beginning of this thread) that nobody else in the world has observed it (at least nobody reporting to it to any newspaper for example). It means probably millions of independent observation in conflict with one (or two) local observations. In addition there have been measuring devices all over the world which didn't detect anything either.
I don't doubt that you (Abu Loren) really "felt" it the way you describe, but there is (I repeat myself) very strong outer evidence that [the interpretation of]your observation is flawed. May be this can serve as an example that what we feel (as strong as the feeling may be) is not necessarily correct. Independent (multiple) observation, confirmation and measurements (preferably intercultural) from outside are likely to bring you closer to the "truth".

Up to you to draw further conclusions about [your] religion from it.

Airmano

This has nothing to do with religion.

It's just a report of an unusual occurrence as seen by two guys.

One minute the moon was directly overhead then next it was disappearing below the horizon.

Science can't explain it.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2014 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

One minute the moon was directly overhead then next it was disappearing below the horizon.

"One minute"?  Your first post said it took two hours.

See how these anecdotal reports tend to get exaggerated in the retelling?  Next you'll be saying that the moon split. Wink

Quote Science can't explain it.

Sure it can.  One part optical illusion, one part hyperbole, and one part observational error.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

"One minute"?  Your first post said it took two hours.

See how these anecdotal reports tend to get exaggerated in the retelling?  Next you'll be saying that the moon split. Wink

Quote Science can't explain it.

Sure it can.  One part optical illusion, one part hyperbole, and one part observational error.

"One minute" is a brit term for a short time.

Every time something weird happens you guys reach for your science books. When you open it and you see "E=MC2" then you are happy. If it doesn't then you are all bewildered.

What I'm saying is that you guys just cannot think outside the box.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2014 at 2:23pm

"One minute" is a brit term for a short time.

And two hours is a short time?

Quote Every time something weird happens you guys reach for your science books. When you open it and you see "E=MC2" then you are happy. If it doesn't then you are all bewildered.

Whereas you guys open your Quran and see "Allah did it"; then you just turn off your brain.

Quote What I'm saying is that you guys just cannot think outside the box.

You mean we can't abandon rationality.  No, we can't.  Or more precisely, we won't.

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic