IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Moon  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 3:49pm
Of course it was at different locations.  The moon's position changes every day, relative to the sun.  That's why the rise and set times also change every day, as the table at www.timeanddate.com shows.  It's also why the moon has phases.

Edited by Ron Webb - 11 June 2014 at 3:50pm
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 5:47pm
Any number of possible explanations spring to mind. Most of them have to do with observational error.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 3:08am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

Any number of possible explanations spring to mind. Most of them have to do with observational error.

I don't buy that. There were two people who saw the same thing.

One day the moon disappeared within two hours and then it hardly moved at all.
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 6:51am
Try this then. In order for the laws of physics to not apply to you and a fried sitting on the beach, I'd say you would have to provide some extraordinary evidence. For example, if you and a friend were engineers that went to the beach with observational equipment, made some time stamped observations, sent them to some qualified experts, like astronomers, that verified them with calibrated equipment, then you would have something worth checking out further.
However, what you have now is two guys with unknown credentials that, at some point in time and space say "hey, this is what I notice" and another guy saying "wow, weird". Then one of them posts their "weird" experience in a blog and asks for comment.
Not exactly hard data.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 11:55am

Try this then. In order for the laws of physics to not apply to you and a fried sitting on the beach, I'd say you would have to provide some extraordinary evidence. For example, if you and a friend were engineers that went to the beach with observational equipment, made some time stamped observations, sent them to some qualified experts, like astronomers, that verified them with calibrated equipment, then you would have something worth checking out further.
However, what you have now is two guys with unknown credentials that, at some point in time and space say "hey, this is what I notice" and another guy saying "wow, weird". Then one of them posts their "weird" experience in a blog and asks for comment.
Not exactly hard data.

LOL

I don't care what you scientific types say, it was certainly a weird experience.

Even you can't explain it.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

I don't care what you scientific types say, it was certainly a weird experience.

Even you can't explain it.

I'm not even sure what you think needs explaining.  I've already told you that this is a common optical illusion -- two of them combined, actually.  Beyond that, you offer us a vague report of the moon moving much faster on one day than another, but you can't even tell me which days, let alone quantify how much faster.  What do you expect in response?

Are you seriously suggesting that the moon's motion was erratic in some way?  And that all the astronomers whose job it is to study the moon and track its orbit, somehow missed it?  And, having gone wildly awry, it somehow managed to return to its proper position and exactly resume its usual schedule?
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 5:38pm
It's another miracle, witnessed by two people on the beach and nobody else on the planet.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 6:06pm

It's another miracle, witnessed by two people on the beach and nobody else on the planet.

That's twice as many as witnessed the revelation of the Quran.

Edited by Ron Webb - 12 June 2014 at 6:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic