IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 3:47am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

Wow, Abu Loren, you are not going done this road for real are you? You are speaking metaphorically of course.

Yeah sure I'd like to go down this road and see where it leads. LOL.
kingkory View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingkory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 6:35am
Flat earth ?...wont even get into that. As I agree the lord almighty has given us life and this wonderful planet we call earth...How does a flat earth theory impose any type of position on preferred religion ? Unless that is you worship pagan Viking gods
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Verse 51:48 simply means that the earth is spacious and not flat as per your understanding which is wrong.

Every translation I've read says "spread" or "spread out".

Quote As for 18:86 it is not literal, I'll let you figure it out.

Why just that particular verse?  Imagine if everything in the Quran was not literal.

Quote You've just proven that you don't understand a word of the Qur'an.

I know the difference between spread out flat and rolled up in a ball.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Yeah sure I'd like to go down this road and see where it leads. LOL.

Careful Abu.  I've been down that road.  I know where it leads. Wink

Edited by Ron Webb - 07 June 2014 at 8:12am
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Imagine if everything you've been taught in the mosque was wrong or even a deliberate lie."And the earth, We have made it a wide extent; how well have We then spread (it) out." (51:48)"Until when he reached the place where the sun set, he found it going down into a black sea..." (18:86)For
a few thousand dollars you can travel around the world and see for
yourself that the earth is a sphere, not "spread out" (i.e. flat); and
that there is no "black sea" into which the sun sets.

Masha Allah! How precisely Allah talks about people like you in Quran:

Al-E-Imran 3:7 He it is Who hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture wherein are clear revelations - they are the substance of the Book - and others (which are) allegorical. But those in whose hearts is doubt pursue, forsooth, that which is allegorical seeking (to cause) dissension by seeking to explain it. None knoweth its explanation save Allah. And those who are of sound instruction say: We believe therein; the whole is from our Lord; but only men of understanding really heed.

51:48 refers to the wide area of earth. "spread out" means extending in surface area. There is no mention of any shape here. An area could be spread in any shape - I don't know where you get the idea of "flat".

18:86 refers to a specific incident from the episode of Dhu'l-Qarneyn and to indicate a specific location where he observes the sunset in a dark tempestuous sea - what do you see so peculiar in someone close to the seashore observing the sunset in a dark tempestuous sea?
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 3:02pm
It leads to believing things that simply make us feel better, like dealing with the fear of death and mortality. As humans we have an inborn fear of death and dying so we have created religion and God to answer those fears.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

It leads to believing things that simply make us feel better, like dealing with the fear of death and mortality. As humans we have an inborn fear of death and dying so we have created religion and God to answer those fears.

If we "created" religion and God, then who created us?
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 4:05pm
Not knowing where we came from doesn't equate to our coming from God. You should study up on the "God of the Gaps" argument and find out why it's the very definition of a logical fallacy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic