IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Depression  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Depression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Henna View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Depression
    Posted: 18 November 2005 at 7:32am
Dear ummziba and firewall;
i think "unfortunately"
we talk the same language..
I hope everybody will find the peace one day..

And dear firewall; i am really happy that your problem solved and you are in paece now.. Inshallah you will never get it again, i hope nobody will get it ..

firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 7:21am
bismillahi rahmani raheem,

honestly, i really don't like to talk about a phase in my life, but i was once "depressed". after an accident, i had to take a semester off from university. it's a dark time of my life, but Allah says everything has a hikmah so now i accept it. although i honestly hate talking about it, being depressed is like such a waste of time to me now. i did meet a counselor, but honestly, she just tell me what i know already. i know people are vain, people can be hurtful, people can murder other people etc... those stuff i know already. what i want is peace, how to escape from that pain. she is incapable of giving me that even if she wanted to.

so u know what, i got my peace -- from Allah. so alhamdulillah...

a psychologist might just numb u with pills, but Allah Has Gave a very, very clear Guide us on how to live life. & it works! & Allah Promised whoever follows His Guidance, will not be unhappy. i believe in that Promise, & Allah is the Best Keeper of Promises.

when i was diverted from Allah, & it's an ugly, bleak, unlit, unguided road. at first it seems okay, but after awhile it's just ugly & confusing. but with Allah's Guidance, it's like a light has shine through a dark journey. now whatever i do, i believe in the Most Powerful Auliya (protector), Allah, & i hope for Allah to guide me to the beautiful road. it is a beautiful path, with Allah as our Giver of Guidance.

that's why i said, grab hold to our faith like ur life depends on it. bcoz our life do depends on it. our Islamic routine is shaping us to be a better person. Allah's Guidance is indeed the best cure.

Quran, 2:45-46: And seek assistance through patience and prayer, and most surely it is a hard thing except for the humble ones; Who know that they shall meet their Lord and that they shall return to Him

may Depressed be happy again. :)

Edited by firewall
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 5:38am

Assalamu alaikum,

You are correct, Sister Henna, depression is an illness.  Just like cancer, diabetes, heart disease and the rest.  It is an illness of the brain.  Yes, faith in Allah helps a lot, but it won't "cure" depression.  Neither are pills necessarily the right anwser for everyone.

Those who have never suffered from it have no idea.  Those who have are intimately familiar with that evil dragon.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Henna View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 9:42pm
Selamunaleykum,
i don't want to change the direction of the subject but i just want to say something; if you have never had depression, you wouldn't be able to understand a depressed person.

Brother depressed, i have the same problem. I have chronic depression (for 9-10 years now). I found the "islam" elhamdulillah end of the my worst deppressed days... (3 years ago)

I was crying everyday, everywhere.. in the bus, on the phone.. hours and hours..non-stop... and everyday... Suicide toughts, very deep and sharp pain, lost of life meaning, sleeping for hours and hours..  all this  was for years and years...

Actually, i have still depression, it still hurts.. but after i found islam, i started to pray, i have been trying to practice islam&rules and something has changed..

Now, i see my "pain" just an illness (and of course an exam like all illness) from Allah, it's not physical but psychological illness and if you can be patient, inshallah you will have the reward as well. Just keep in your mind, everything in this life is exam from Allah.. and the depression also..

If you can not do anything, just pray your salaat. Just force yourself for doing your salaat. And if you can do, do zikr.. Do zikr of the names of Allah. Inshallah salaat and dua will help you (and me as well inshallah..) I know you know what you should do...

I am really in bad mood tonight..
Just know, you are not alone.. So many people try to handle with depression...Including me as well..

i just wanted to share my pain...

May Allah give you health, patient..

Sorry for any inconvenience..

I am going to pray my salaat now.. I will pray for all of you as well inshallah.. Keep me in your prays as well please.. I really need it..

freebird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

freebird, you need to learn more about depression and yes animals do feel depressed at times.

If you haven't learnt before us humans are animals we are warm blooded mammals.

Do we have to learn about depression first to answer a question from the questioner who is already in the know how the medical profession handle the depression? 

I just read an article about depression - and they freely using prozac, zoloft and the like. Is this what I need to learn first?

The people in the west are depressed, that's why alcohol is the main ingrediant in the street. The people can't stand the depression and they want to drag the whole world with it. They refuse Islam which is the answer for their problem, an eternal problem.

Only up to 1/2 dacade ago the western world was in constant war, that is a sign of the depressed people.

In 1998 the Asian economy was battered by the currency crisis, especially indonesia - and I can tell you with certainty that a lot people mentally collapsed because that. Stroke was common occurance and the anti depressant pills was a sudden best seller. But if we see the comparison between the number of population in total compared with those who could not stand the brunt of it - than Islam is definitely the saviour. Imagine if such of this kind occur in the western world, a directionless war will follow. Imagine if the american wake up in the morning where a weekly wage is enough for one day food, can they stand to such an event? can you see this picture?

Thailand is non muslim country with low economic output, we see they sell themselves for money. But go further to the south where the military trying hard to lick the US buttock by repeatedly shooting the muslims, do we see prostitution there? Here we can see what Islam is all about to humanity.

As far as thailand is concern, economically is weak, technologically is backward and spiritually a pathetic. There is not a single major economic and military power ever woed or wooing thailand except as a tourist attraction and sex destination. But their government has no shame, it does not even has a dignity. They keep on dancing as though they are a slave calling somebody to be their master, calling:

"Look at me sir, look at me". How can people do such a thing is beyond me, that government officials are just plain pathetic worthless. 

No Angel, I don't need to learn about the depression any further than what I know now and what I see to give an answer.

Islam gives hope to the hopeless who are living in their hopelessness. Those who hate Islam has lost their hope - and they are torturing the muslims to encourage us to give up our salvation. But I don't see any alternative to Islam at all from the constant reading and listening.

Imagine if Islam is not around, what will happen to the bulk of majority of the world population? The strong are so depresssed with uncertainty of life and the weak will try to please the strong master at least to see the next morning. But this has happened in the past.

firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 7:58am
bismillahi rahmani raheem,

salam. i don't know if what i'm saying will make u feel used or not, but... for a would be muslim medical doctor, u hv been blessed by Allah a profession that can make you a man who brings immense benefit to his society. you can earn many, many good deeds just like that, helping sick, weak people. Allah loves His slave that brings benefits to other people, Allah would've love you very much, insha Allah.

so... what happen to this good man who could've bring immense benefit to his society. why are u not happy? why do u feel used?

for the things you give to others, ask ur rewards from Allah. humans can't give u the best rewards, even if you begged them, my friend. ur best rewards are from Allah, & that, is what u must hope for. if you count what you give to others, surely Allah will count what He Gives to you -- & He's Given you a lot more than u can even imagined. so just go on be giving to people, what is it to count, surely you have gotten more from Allah, don't you? & for His Jannah, which you hoped so much for Allah to give you. we humans only give a little to others, not worthy to note anyway, compared to Allah, the Most Gracious, Most Merciful to us.

& speaking from experience, i hope u wouldn't abandon ur prayers. grab hold to ur faith like ur life depends on it -- for every pain, Allah has promises He will brings ease. pray, read the Quran. one relation u mustn't abandon, no matter what happens in life is ur relations to Allah. keep ur prayers -- u must keep ur prayers. don't lose it, as if u lose that u will lose all. u must strengthen urself through prayers, ask from Allah for strength.

honestly, i had also felt pain & rejection from people. it's not only you who have felt that. imagine the Iraqis, the Pakistanis, the less fortunate, the kids, who have lost more than you. Rasulullah (PBUH) is also an orphan -- so living without parents mustn't be a weakness to us. there is a hikmah to it all. Allah will not trial a person heavier than what he/she can carry. so trust Allah.

you could be a great man, you know that.
i wish i can be a benefit to people so much. ur blessed ur path is right there in front of you, u can be a benefit to ur society. so don't waver from that path, you must be strong.

this is ur Jihad within urself. pray to Allah, will you? amen.

kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2005 at 11:57pm
you might want to consider Lexipro.this is an antidepressant that wont numb your senses. i know i too am extremely depressed.Ive dealt with the death of one of my children, divorce, and betrayal.all in a span of 3 months.think of your depression as you lying in a hole.Lexipro will just raise the floor up.you will still have your wits about you. you will just be calmer.
Sorry about that turn signal,I must have fallen asleep.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 10:49pm

freebird, you need to learn more about depression and yes animals do feel depressed at times.

If you haven't learnt before us humans are animals we are warm blooded mammals.

Note: if you (or anybody else) wants to take this furthur about humans vs other animals [as this is different topic], in another thread please 

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic