IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - American Troops in Iraq  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

American Troops in Iraq

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 11:37pm
Or is this the thread i ran from according to you Whisper, see they all look similar to me.
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 11:14pm

It will be much easier and a happier situation if some humans sat up in different corners of the world and just agreed that some idiots did make a mistake (near enough a war crime sort of a mistake) of duping the American people.

It's no fault of yours, the whole lot looks a bit dodgy. Would you buy a second hand car from, say, Donald Rumsfeld, GWB or Dick Cheney. I won't mention Condi Rice out of sheer pity for her brutalised childhood. If you go deeper you will see all had terribly sad childhoods, why else would they seek power? (if they didn't feel so powerless)

The 21st century will rise as the century of the people with brand new structures than we know.

b95000 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b95000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 6:30pm
"The link with OBL is a dead duck"

It's true, that's the conventional liberal  and crammed-down-our-thoats
wisdom.  It's clear upon reading and research that Saddam and Muslim extremists were much cozier and complicit and collaborative (for mutually beneficial reasons) than anyone on the left would care to talk about...

I and many others choose not to disregard this context.
Bruce
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 3:44pm
I think, let's stick with Gaad told him to do so. That's the best so far. The link with OBL is a dead duck!
b95000 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b95000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 2:26pm
"Um, Bruce, Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11."

======================

Um, Angela, no one has proven that Saddam had operational links to 9/11.  But does that mean that he did not?  He has been proven to (1) oppose the US by sponsoring terrorism against the US abroad (for instance in Prague at the Voice of America facilities), in opposing the US and the world in 1991 and thereafter, in trying to assassinate a sitting US president, et al.  Furthermore, it is clear that Saddam had extensive ties with Islamic terrorist groups, including al Qaeda.  There are many detailed instances of his potential ties with the planners and perpetrators of 9/11.  None of these have been conclusively proven and so you want to blithely lecture me on how ridiculous this notion is?

========================

First of all there is no conclusive, OPERATIONAL link between Saddam and AQ re: 9/11 but there is enough evidence that exists that such a connection cannot be blithely dismissed.  And in fact the 9/11 commission has not done so, only stating that no operational connection has been proven.  There is much question about Muhammed Atta's movements among Iraqi intelligence agents in Prague, though, and other interactions between terrorists and the Iraqi intelligence service in Malaysia in 1999 - specifically the actions of Ahmed Hikmat Shakir.  Shakir is Iraqi.

From The Connection by Stephen Hayes of the Weekly Standard:

The NSA intercepted communications from Nawaf al Hazmi and Khalid al Mihdhar related to the AQ attacks on the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania from which they determined that those involved in those bombings were going to be meeting with Shakir and others in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia just after the millennium new year.  This meeting, in a Kuala Lumpur condo jointly monitored by the CIA and the Malaysian intel was the main planning session for the October 12, 2000 bombing of the USS Cole and for the attacks on September 11 (according to the CIA).  The latter two men left the Kuala Lumpur area and went to Thailand, where warnings to follow through with them, to follow them, came too late and they disappeared into that country in early 2000.

On September 11, 2001 Nawaf al Hazmi and Khalid al Mihdhar, along with others hijacked Flight 77 that hit the Pentagon.

Shakir was arrested in Qatar 6 days later.

Among Shakir's contacts were Zahid Sheidh Mohammed, the brother of 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed; Musab Yasin, the brother of the of the 1993 WTC bomber Abdul Rahman Yasin, who was harbored in Iraq for a decade after that attack (that killed six Americans) and Ibrahim Ahmad Suleinman, a US citizen born in Kuwait, whose fingerprints were found on the bomb-making manuals authorities found after the 1993 WTC attack.  One contact stood out of Shakir's as a special indication of his standing with AQ.  A phone number for Mamdouh Mahmud Salim.  The number reached a desk at Taba Investments, perhaps the best-known of Osam bin Laden's al Qaeda front companies.  Mamdouh Salim, a founding member of al Qaeda, was described by another senior al Qaeda operative as OBL's "best friend."

[The preceding information reflects the consensus of the US intelligence community.  Virtually no one disputes the details.  The next part is where intense debate arises.]

Despite Shakir's connections with dangerous terrorists, the Qatari government released him.  On Oct. 21st Shakir boarded a plane bound for Baghdad.  But he was detained by Jordanian intel at his connection in Amman.  Immediately following his capture there, the Iraqi government began exerting pressure on the Jordanians to release him.

Some in the CIA point to a flurry of phone calls, diplomatic cables, and personal appeals from the Iraqi government to the Jordanians and contend that this reaction was anything but typical. This concern reflected an interest in Shakir at the highest levels of Saddam Hussein's regime.  CIA interrogators in Jordan concluded that his evasive answers reflected counterinterrogation techniques so sophisticated that they likely had been learned from a government intelligence service.  Shakir's nationality, his contacts with the Iraqi embassy in Malaysia, and the keen interest of Baghdad in his case make Iraq the most likely candidate.

More from The Connection:

"In the days following the [9-11-01] attacks, world leaders expressed sympathy and solidarity with Americans. The list of well-wishers included longtime enemies such as Cuba's Fidel Castro, Libya's Moammar Khadafi, and the ruling clerics in Iran.

There was only one exception: Saddam Hussein.

As distraught relatives searched for missing loved ones near Ground Zero, the Iraqi regime openly celebrated. To the strains of triumphant, nationalistic music, Iraq's state-run television network replayed the spectacular images of the two airplanes crashing into the World Trade Center.
There are literally hundreds of intelligence reports detailing links between Iraq and al Qaeda's worldwide operations. There are numerous others that present evidence - again much of it circumstantial and speculative - about potential Iraqi involvement in September 11."
=======================

Some of the key elements addressed in the book are the extent that Saddam had nefarious contacts with terrorist organizations. Saddam openly supported Palestinian terrorist groups and it's clear he had high level contacts with al Qaeda..

=========================

Again from The Connection:

"But by the time the Iraq War began, the evidence of Iraqi links to al Qaeda went well beyond a few dots. It was a veritable constellation.

An important participant in the first al Qaeda attack on American soil, the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, had been given safe haven in Iraq. Both bin Laden and Saddam had repeatedly voiced their desire to kill Americans. CIA Director George Tenet reported at least eight meetings between high-level Iraqi intelligence officials and senior al Qaeda terrorists. At least twice, the deputy director of Iraqi intelligence met bin Laden personally. In its 1998 indictment of bin Laden, the Clinton administration cited an "understanding" between Iraq and al Qaeda whereby bin Laden agreed not to agitate against the Iraqi regime in exchange for help on "weapons development." Fresh intelligence indicated that Iraq had provided training to al Qaeda terrorist on poisons and gases. Senior al Qaeda associates were operating openly in Baghdad before the war."

Edited by b95000
Bruce
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 2:18pm

Originally posted by b95000 b95000 wrote:

Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

This is not the full and accurate explanation of the controversy at hand.

If the controversy 'at hand' included all these Democrats who sat on the Intelligence Committies and had oversight into all of these matters all throughout the Clinton Admin, then why doesn't the Nation's critique include them in their diatribe?  I think the politicizing of this discussion on either side of this aisle is disgusting and distasteful to all those who've lost their lives in this struggle -including those who dove out of the towers on 9/11. 

Iraq did not come out of a vacuum - it has been a burning agenda item for at least 2 dozen years (or more) with the US.

To be short sighted in analysis and critique is not helpful - in my humble opinion.

Um, Bruce, Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11.  Even Bush can't claim that one.  So you're assessment that those who dove out of the WTC towers are casualties of the War in Iraq is baseless and unfounded.  The point is....the controversy isn't what intelligence was there, but how it was presented....

And people have a right to change their minds.  I supported the War in Afganistan and I supported disarming Saddam.  But, the more I learn about what I was told via the media and the President's speeches, and what was actually in hand.....I no longer support the President's insistence on keeping our troops in Iraq. 

Bruce, and DON'T YOU EVER CALL ME UNPATRIOTIC.  I have more relatives in the armed services than you can shake a stick at.  Colonel's, Lt. Colonels, Captains, and privates.  I have a man I share Holiday dinners with who was at Normandy and another who just recently passed who was at Midway.  Patriotism is a way of life in my family, and you know what....the VETERANS and ex-military in my family are calling for our boys to come home. 

You've got your head so far in the fog of lies Bush has told this country you can't even see what people want is a out of Iraq.  Very few American's agree with you anymore.

Why Iraq war support fell so fast

US public support has dropped faster than during the Vietnam and Korean wars, polls show.

By Linda Feldmann | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

WASHINGTON - The three most significant US wars since 1945 - Korea, Vietnam, and now Iraq - share an important trait: As casualties mounted, American public support declined.

In the two Asian wars, that decline proved irreversible. With Iraq, the additional bad news for President Bush is that support for the war in Iraq has eroded more quickly than it did in those two conflicts.

For Mr. Bush, low support for his handling of the war - now at 35 percent, according to the latest Gallup poll - has depleted any reserves of "political capital" he had from his reelection and threatens his entire agenda. Last week's bombshell political developments, both the bipartisan Senate resolution calling for more progress reports on Iraq and the stunning call for withdrawal by a Democratic hawk, Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania, have not helped.

But the seeds of Bush's woes were planted early on. Just seven months into the Iraq war, Gallup found that the percentage of Americans who viewed the sending of troops as a mistake had jumped substantially - from 25 percent in March 2003 to 40 percent in October 2003.

In June 2004, for the first time, more than half the public (54 percent) thought the US had made a mistake, a figure that holds today.

With Vietnam, that 50-percent threshold was not crossed until August 1968, several years in; with Korea, it was March 1952, about a year and a half into US involvement.

Why did Americans go sour on the Iraq war so quickly, and what can Bush do about it?

John Mueller, an expert on war and public opinion at Ohio State University, links today's lower tolerance of casualties to a weaker public commitment to the cause than was felt during the two previous, cold war-era conflicts. The discounting of the main justifications for the Iraq war - alleged weapons of mass destruction and support for international terrorism - has left many Americans skeptical of the entire enterprise.

In fact, "I'm impressed by how high support still is," Professor Mueller says. He notes that some Americans' continuing connection of the Iraq war to the war on terror is fueling that support.

In addition, intense political polarization gives Bush resilient support among Republicans.

But among Democratic voters who supported the US-led invasion initially, most have long abandoned the president. In polls, independent voters now track mostly with Democrats. And, analysts say, once someone loses confidence in the conduct of a war, it is exceedingly difficult to woo them back.

"[Bush's] best option is bringing peace and security to Iraq," says Darrell West, a political scientist at Brown University. "If he can accomplish that, people will think the war's going well and that he made the right decision. But that's proving almost impossible to achieve."

Pollster Daniel Yankelovich, writing in the September/October 2005 issue of Foreign Affairs magazine, states that "in my judgment the Bush administration has about a year before the public's impatience will force it to change course."

Not helping the president has been the modern phenomenon of 24/7 cable news coverage, which brings instant magnification to the daily death toll and the longstanding media practice of focusing on negative developments.

And there is the lingering public memory of Vietnam itself, which, in the Iraq war, may have made the public warier sooner of getting stuck in a quagmire.

Scholars like Mueller at Ohio State speak of an emerging "Iraq syndrome" that will have consequences for US foreign policy long after American forces pull out - particularly in Washington's ability to deal forcefully with other countries it views as threatening, such as North Korea and Iran.

"Iraq syndrome" seems to be playing out, too, with the American public. The just-released quadrennial survey of American attitudes toward foreign policy - produced jointly by the Pew Research Center and the Council on Foreign Relations - shows a revival of isolationism. Now, 42 percent of Americans say the US should "mind its own business internationally and let other countries get along the best they can on their own" - up from 30 percent in 2002.

According to Pew Research Center director Andrew Kohut, that 42 percent figure is also similar to how the US public felt in the mid-1970s, at the end of the Vietnam War, and in the 1990s, at the end of the cold war.

Graphic

b95000 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b95000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

This is not the full and accurate explanation of the controversy at hand.

If the controversy 'at hand' included all these Democrats who sat on the Intelligence Committies and had oversight into all of these matters all throughout the Clinton Admin, then why doesn't the Nation's critique include them in their diatribe?  I think the politicizing of this discussion on either side of this aisle is disgusting and distasteful to all those who've lost their lives in this struggle -including those who dove out of the towers on 9/11. 

Iraq did not come out of a vacuum - it has been a burning agenda item for at least 2 dozen years (or more) with the US.

To be short sighted in analysis and critique is not helpful - in my humble opinion.
Bruce
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 8:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic