IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - veiling  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

veiling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 7:51am
hi, hv anyone read Surah Al-'Asr?
for me, we should be brave to give advice & humble to receive it.
that's what Islam enjoins, i wish that's the norm in society.
if i do wrong, it's be unfortunate when ppl who knew that doesn't want to tell me. just so i know someone think that's wrong, & i can think for it.
to me, everybody must judge, but patiently & nicely.
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 1:43pm

Assalamu Alaikum,

I am not longer willing to discuss the issue of hijab here on IC becuase it appears that only those who beleive it is oblgatory have the right to speak out on this subject.  I know for a fact that there are many who hold my position, even some brothers hold this position.  Many who hold this position are not revert but rather born and raised in good muslim families.  There are even scholars who hold this position.  The simply truth is that some sisters are  made to feel as if they have no right to a voice in this matter.  So with respect to hijab, it is as if my lips are sewn shut her on IC.  With that said, I want to say this, it is wrong for anyone to say that it is not right to judge when they have done just that to some regarding the issue of hijab.  It comes across as hypocritical when someone says that it is not okay to judge someone if she is wearing hijab...to give her the benefit of the doubt even if she may be using it as a way to cover her idenity and not for pious reason; however, if she is not wearing hijab, it's okay to judge her and tell her she is risking hellfire for not wearing it.

Allah Hafiz

PAZ,

Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 4:19pm
salam,

well how'd ppl know she's doing it " not for pious reason"? if she is, & there's proof of it, of course it's wrong. but then, how do you even judge her intentions of wearing a hijab -- it's in the heart, u can't see it. unless proven, how can u say she's with ill-intentions? so how do u expect us to judge before it is obvious?

but with hijabs, ppl can see it, it's obvious. to my view, it's obligatory -- so i when see someone not meeting that obligation, of course i must judge that's not right. talking about hypocrisy, the only hipocritical thing is when me -- a hijab wearer --  say it's okay to drop ur scarf, when in fact,  i myself, don't drop my scarf.

the hypocrisy is when non hijabi girls ecpect hijabi girls to say it's okay to drop our hijab. they know themselves we don't drop our hijab. they're asking us to condone not wearing hijab, is asking us to drop our hijab -- i'm sorry sister, we just can't. i don't know how else to tell  u.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:00pm

I'm with Khadija

And she has a point about the judging, right thru this thread people say they are not judging and yet still sit there and judge.

I'm going to put my five cents worth, but it'll probably be no value .

Whether its obligatory to do so or not, although thru my reasearch sometime ago have come to the conclusion it is but I still have my views about it. But anyway, Some of who adjorn the hijab are not necessarily pious. And some of those who do not adjorn the hijab can be very pious. And this does get said but its obviously of no importance but the girl who seems to wear hijab, because if it matters then there would not be so much....outcry.

As I meantioned before, it is what is in your heart, your intentions and God alone only knows that and people here know that and yet still....go against it.

If anyone of you actually believe that its your intentions and what is inside of a person that should truly be judged, then none of you should not go on the path and be judgemental about the outward appearence of a person/s , for which you do not know anything about!

You see a picture of a girl in pants and short top or short skirt and top and high heels and you judge automatically that girl is in the wrong, but truly what do you know about the person, I see pictures everyday and I'm sure you all here do to. I know pictures suppose to speak a thousand words and its a physical evidence but I have come to believe that a picture does not tell the whole story about a person or what they are going through, Do you know ??

To judge someone by there outter appearence, IS NOT THE FULL STORY ABOUT THE PERSON THEMSELVES OR THEIR FAITH AND HOW MUCH PIOUS THEY ARE. UNLESS YOU KNOW THE PERSON VERY WELL THEN I SUGGEST YOU STOP IT!

To think that the girl across the street is going to hell fire because she does not wear hijab is well unreligious in my view, (even if you think she is wrong and that it is obigaatory to do so) YOU do not know the person, or why they have not put on hijab. And yet, you may see another girl adjorn the hijab and think she is a good muslima, how do you that she is a good muslima and pious?? What because this girl wears the hijab while the other doesn't?? oh my! talk about sterotypical!  

There is a girl at the moment here in the news, she is muslim and yet she does not wear the veil and yet the outcry, oh my the outcry is so ridicules, I can't believe it, the muslim community has told her to denouce the religion because she isn't wearing the 'so called' dress code, (while an iman has told them not to judge her) heck, that girl has been to hell and back for what happened, her ordeal is something that you wouldn't want to go thru and yet before she can have some breathing space and gather herself and for a moment that she wasn't covering herself all hell breaks lose and the mention oh she's not muslims, she is a fake, she is not doing islam justice, boy! oh judgemental!!

And you know what drives me insane and I could scream! is this outcry about the covering and telling one she is not muslim, she must denouce islam and all that, man WHERE IS THE SO CALLED OUTCRY TO THOSE MUSLIM TERORISTS WHO TRULY DO NO JUSTICE TO ISLAM AND ARE WRONG, WHERE'S IS THE DAMN OUTCRY SHOUTING FOR THAT!! NO WHERE !!! AND YET WHEN IT COMES TO CLOTHING, THE DRESS CODE ITS ANOTHER STORY! THAT TO ME IS BEING HIPOCRITICAL, ONE IS FAR MORE DAMAGING TO ISLAM AND WHILE THE PERSON WEARING NON DRESS CODE/VEIL IS NOT!

If someone chooses to speak that they don't wear the veil despite it being wrong, so be it, it's got nothing to do with you!

And please if some of you truly think those are going to hellfire, bring on the evidence from qu'ran and hadiths. Because I think its a horrible tactic to use! not to mention a guilt trip!

And while I'm at it, Muslims are NOT the only people who wear a headscarf, its fruitless to want to see the girl/s down the street wear a veil so you can judge her and think she is wrong.

Nor are the religious of other groups who wear a veil of some sort the only people to wear a scarf/veil. 

It is just fruitless!!

Heck my mother used wear a scarf, I have pictures and she's not muslim or religious, she is just a person and my great grand mother an elderly european woman, used to wear a scarf on her head! and so do many other european and other elderly women who are not religious or muslim! And some younger people to.

To say that wearing a hijab is part of the muslim identity, and while that is a little true is still an incorrect view!  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:20pm

Originally posted by firewall firewall wrote:

salam,

how can u say she's with ill-intentions? so how do u expect us to judge before it is obvious?

You don't!

You don't judge!

Wearing something does not denote if one is pious or not.

You wear hijab, how can I tell that you are pious or pious enough?? The answer is I don't know, that's simple!, I don't know you so how can I can judge you if you have ill intentions? How can I judge you down the street?

Why is this judging such a big thing? Why do you want to judge? That is something I don't understand! It's such a big issue with muslims.

Quote but with hijabs, ppl can see it, it's obvious. to my view, it's obligatory -- so i when see someone not meeting that obligation, of course i must judge that's not right. talking about hypocrisy, the only hipocritical thing is when me -- a hijab wearer --  say it's okay to drop ur scarf, when in fact,  i myself, don't drop my scarf.

And yet, you still do not know. So some girls are doing the obligatory thing by wearing the hijab and you see that as right so you don't judge her ?? Just because she seems to be doing the right thing does not tell if she is pious. That is hipocritical, you want to judge a muslima for not wearing hijab, not following the obligatory duty and not a muslima that you can see clearly that she is wearing hijab so automatical she gets good points and not judged! wow!

The outter surface is all you care about! and the truth of the matter is the surface is not all what it seems. It's just half of the story!

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 6:51am

I agree with firewall. For us to wear hijab on the one hand and on the other hand say its not obligatory is hypocritical.

It is an obligation to Allah, that is all I think. I don't think wearing a hijab makes some one more pious. But In general speaking from first hand experience, wearing a hijaab myself I have become a better muslimah than I was before. In no way am I saying that I am perfect, or more pious than anyone else. But I have improved. So yes I do think that IN GENERAL it does change a woman for the better. (But this is in general and not all the time). Every individual thinks differently and leads a different life. Some girls say "Oh I will change myself first then put the hijab on...because I don't want to give it a bad name".  where as I did the opposite, I put the hijab on because for me that was a start and the change in my lifestyle slowly and gradually followed. so every one has a different way of starting out, but no one denies the fact that it is an obligation. I feel it is one good action and it causes more good to actions to follow. And as for the sisters that say that there are scholars that say it is not obligation. This is all wrell enough you making this bizarre statement but then If this is true then tell us Who are these scholars? what are their names? where did they study? what did they study?  Because walahi I have never heard A SCHOLAR say its not an obligation for a woman to wear hijab. If i did i think I'd pass out due to the shock! Can you imagine it if your local maulana started walking around with his wife who does not wear a hijab? In all honesty i think people are trying to reform islam. These people need to realise that this deen of ours is perfect! it does not need to be changed and neither will this reformation be successful.

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 1:20am

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu Sisters

Sori I could not respond earlier, as I was away taking care of a sick relative and did not have internet access.

Firstly I want to point out that I don't have any ill-feelings towards any sisters and if anyone was hurt because of what I have written. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive me and ease their pain and unite our hearts once again. Ameen!

This topic of Hijab/Niqab always ends up emotionally for most of us.

During the time when I was convinced that Hijab was NOT an obligation. I use to post Ayat from the Glorious Qur'an, my favorite was the first 11 Ayat for Surah Al-Mu'minun (23) where Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala characterizes the believer "Successful indeed are the believers" till "Who shall inherit the Firdaus, they shall dwell therein forever." To enter Paradise, all I had to do was be a believer as Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala had described in these Ayat. After further research and studying I discovered that Hijab is an obligation and today I even feel Niqab is an obligation and by not wearing the Niqab, I am sinning. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala open my heart to wear the Niqab soon Ameen!

Wearing or not wearing the Hijab/Niqab is an individual matter. Wearing the Hijab, does not make one more pious than the one not wearing it. All our deeds are based on our intentions. But it becomes incumbent upon us, as Muslimah to guide each other, in areas where we find others erring. Alhamdulillah through the constant persistent of a very dear sister, (who has now left this world after suffering for many years � May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala shower His Mercy upon her) I was led to the truth and desire for my dear sisters the same. True Guidance only comes from Allah, we can only try.

This is an issue that will never go away, and knowing me, I will most probably comment on it from time to time when it appears. Sometimes I wish I could just keep quiet but I know I cannot. A few years back I felt very strongly that Hijab is not an obligation and today I feel very strongly that it is an obligation and Niqab too. I also felt that Iman (faith) was in the heart and how I dressed did not matter.  How do we measure modesty? What may be modest in one culture may be very indecent in another? So where do we draw the line, what yardstick do we use? We look at the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah for guidance. Insha Allah we will find our answers there.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala purify our hearts, unite our efforts, forgive us our sins and let the last of our deeds be the best. Ameen!

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Edited by Alwardah
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 4:47am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

I dont know what has been said by who but i see some people saying the hijab ie headscarf is not wajib/obligatory in Islam. Every person has the right to follow what they believe and no person has the right to force there views on other or enforce it. But no person has the right to speak for islam and what is in our religion with any authority except for our scholars. Many Muslims in the west have no connection to traditional islam  or its authority this is becouse they live in a un islamic scociety and have no real contact with a muslim scociety.

You will not find a ruling from any traditional scholar saying the hijab is not obligatory at any time in islams history from the time of the prophet untill now, for any person who hasnt lost touch with there islamic roots and heratige and where right guidance is they will realise this is proper islam and any one following a new invented opinion in this decade is deviating from the norm of islamic society and what our prophet commanded. There is no evidence that the hijab is not wajib the command is found in the Quran and any operson who knows arabic and the tafsir of those ayat will know this.

There are many deviated people in this world who prefer there own opinions to those whom allah himself has given knowledge and they spread there message with all sincerity.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic