IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - QUESTIONS ABOUT ISLAM  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QUESTIONS ABOUT ISLAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 9:04am
Originally posted by pauline35 pauline35 wrote:

Looks like Melco too, is an undercover Evangelist. What right has he got to tell people to choose their religion? Pretty clear that Evangelist is the religion enforcer who bully those who do not accept Jesus as the Saviour.

OMG you stoped him from doing "Gods" Work, now you will burn in hell because of it

Edited by ak_m_f
Trident View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 6:17am
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Originally posted by Trident Trident wrote:

The last 2 verses I quoted (23:6 & 70:30) allows a Muslim to have sex with his slaves without the bond of marriage, which is effectively khalwat, or fornication.

So how can you confidently say that Islam never allows sex out of the marriage bond? I just showed you 2 verses (23:6 & 70:30) that clearly allow it!

I think your misunderstanding is originating because one is unable to distinguish between marriage with �free women� as compared with that of �captive women�. I can imagine this difficulty among some of the people (both Muslims or non-Muslims alike), since they don�t comprehend how such a society (with slaves) used to exist, especially in the Muslim world. In such a society the rights/obligations  of a �free women� VS �bond women� were distinctively different. Even Quran provides half the punishment on adultery to a married �bond women� as compared to the one done by a married �free women�. [4:25] Similarly, the married �free women� has a share in the inheritance of her diseased husband [4:12] but no such provision for the �bond women� unless she had previously been �freed� by his husband. This is why Quran uses two different terminologies for both of them. For a �free women� the term is �wives� and for �bond women�, they are usually referred as �among those whom your right hand possess�.

Once we realize this understanding as how such a society used to function, it is rather easy to understand the concept of marriage in Islam with a �free women� as opposed to a �bond women�. For this, Quran provides both norms as well as extreme conditions. As bro Rami has already pointed out that sex with �bond women� is only allowed in the extreme conditions, it more important to know where does Quran provides such an exception otherwise its from someone�s own extrapolation from some verses of the Quran not directly related to the issue of marriage (from some dietary laws etc). So to come to this part of evidence from Quran, we see that verse 4:25 clearly provides this provision of exception, but with the condition that the Muslims must �wed� them and give them their �dowry�. �If any of you have not the means wherewith to wed free believing women, they may wed believing girls from among those whom your right hands possess: And Allah hath full knowledge about your faith. Ye are one from another: Wed them with the leave of their owners, and give them their dowers, according to what is reasonable: They should be chaste, not lustful, nor taking paramours:

Even in doing so, these would still remain �among those whom your right hand possess� and shall not be called as wife. The last part of the verse even cautions the Muslims, ��but it is better for you that ye practise self-restraint. And Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.� That is to say that wedding with �those whom your right hand posses� is not to be done as a routine, but only an exception under the conditions specified in the beginning of the verse. I hope the understanding of all such verses including verse 23:6 and 70:30 would be much easier now.

If I married a woman, she becomes my wife. She can be from any background, rich or poor, clever or stupid, cute or ugly, free or slave. But once I marry her, she becomes my wife. The fact that verse 23:6 & 70:30 mentions the "Right hand possessions" separetely from "wife" is because, well, the right hand possessions are not really wives.

If you still maintain that the "Right hand possessions" are some sort of legally married wives, then the myth that Islam promotes the emancipation of slaves is false. Because if Islam is really serious about freeing the slaves and also elevating their status, then the married slaves should have been mentioned as wives, not "Right hand possessions".

And Mr. Rami talked about extreme conditions. Of course eating & drinking for the sake of hunger & thirst is understandable & needs no explanation. What needs explaining though is the neccesity of having sex with unmarried captive women. Can you explain how having sex with such women is necessary in extreme conditions? And what are those extreme conditions?

The notion that Islam allows the rape of these captive women must be thoroughly understood by people interested in the study of Islamic subject matters. It doesn't matter that these type of activity only used to be done during Islam's advent. The very fact that it's allowed at all, is disturbing to say the least.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 7:09am

If I married a woman, she becomes my wife. She can be from any background, rich or poor, clever or stupid, cute or ugly, free or slave. But once I marry her, she becomes my wife. The fact that verse 23:6 & 70:30 mentions the "Right hand possessions" separetely from "wife" is because, well, the right hand possessions are not really wives.

Looking at the present day customs and ideas about marriage, and reflecting them over the centuries old customs is a fallacy of many  brothers/sisters. The problem is more compounded when this perception is coming, perhaps from my Christian brothers/sisters, who don't have an idea how Islam looks at the marriage. Marriage, in Islam, is not a something that can't be broken till death. Marriage is simply an agreement between man and women to live togather with mutual respect for each other. If anyone can't live by these promises, for some reason or the other, the agreement can be cancelled. Its not like 'what come may one must stick togather, even if both become totally intollerant of each other. Islam provides a realistic yet rational approach to human behaviors and attitudes. 

If you still maintain that the "Right hand possessions" are some sort of legally married wives, then the myth that Islam promotes the emancipation of slaves is false. Because if Islam is really serious about freeing the slaves and also elevating their status, then the married slaves should have been mentioned as wives, not "Right hand possessions".
"Free the slave in Islam" is totally another topic than "adultary with female slaves". If you are interested in that topic, my pleasure, go ahead and start with that topic and you shall be provided adequate response with proper evidence from Quran and Sunnah of our beloved Prophet. Mixing the two is uncomprehensible. Simply put, marriage was not a backdoor for freedom of slaves but a motivation for the Muslims to do a pious act with due recognition of others rights and limitations.

And Mr. Rami talked about extreme conditions. Of course eating & drinking for the sake of hunger & thirst is understandable & needs no explanation. What needs explaining though is the neccesity of having sex with unmarried captive women. Can you explain how having sex with such women is necessary in extreme conditions? And what are those extreme conditions?

The extremity of the situation, as I have discussed earlier as well, is always analysed with the type of problem we are discussing. Examples of eating pork or wine becomes legal in the extreme conditions of death due either to hunger or medical grounds or many other situations, that may not be fathomable to us at this time of our imagination. Similarly the marriage with captives becomes legal as an exception, in the extreme conditions of commiting an illegal sex (a major sin in Islam), though Quran already recommeded self control as a preferable act. This illegal sex could force people, that I can imagine, is to either become homos (as some brother has already suggested) or move towards prostitutes or to some other extreme uncomprehensible sexuality in nature to me at this time.

The notion that Islam allows the rape of these captive women must be thoroughly understood by people interested in the study of Islamic subject matters. It doesn't matter that these type of activity only used to be done during Islam's advent. The very fact that it's allowed at all, is disturbing to say the least.

Yes, I agree with you, but for that one must keep the historical perspective of the society in view in which it used to be practised. Today's society where there are no slaves, comparing it with that system is like comparing oranges with apples. 

Edited by AhmadJoyia
Trident View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 7:40am

Yes, I agree with you, but for that one must keep the historical perspective of the society in view in which it used to be practised. Today's society where there are no slaves, comparing it with that system is like comparing oranges with apples.

Notice here that I didn't mention marriage or sex, but RAPE. And you agreed with me. Never mind that Islam allowed it only in 7th century Arabia. Still, it was allowed some time ago during Islam's history.

Yes or no?

And who says there's no slavery now? Just look at the situation in Darfur. Explain to us here how the situation in Darfur is not in line with true Islamic practices.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 8:21am

Notice here that I didn't mention marriage or sex, but RAPE. And you agreed with me. Never mind that Islam allowed it only in 7th century Arabia. Still, it was allowed some time ago during Islam's history.

Yes or no?

And who says there's no slavery now? Just look at the situation in Darfur. Explain to us here how the situation in Darfur is not in line with true Islamic practices.

Ah!, my dear bro Trident, if that is the way you want to make your records, concluding from your own stated hypothesis, without proving it, that is purely up to you, though only fools would do that. No doubt you are no different than crafty fellow like St. Paul [2 Corinthians 12:16].

Hypothesis can't become facts untill proven. Now I do notice the direction in which you are moving, despite my honest and humble efforts to make things clear to you. Indeed, truth stand clear and can't be hidden through decietfull and crafty actions.

Edited by AhmadJoyia
Trident View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 2:27pm

Yes or no?

Ah!, my dear bro Trident, if that is the way you want to make your records, concluding from your own stated hypothesis, without proving it, that is purely up to you, though only fools would do that. No doubt you are no different than crafty fellow like St. Paul [2 Corinthians 12:16].

Hypothesis can't become facts untill proven. Now I do notice the direction in which you are moving, despite my honest and humble efforts to make things clear to you. Indeed, truth stand clear and can't be hidden through decietfull and crafty actions.

Now, now Mr Ahmad. Please don't juggle your words. And please don't compare me to St. Paul or quote from the Bible. Not every non-Muslim who comes here is a Christian. So it's irrelevant here. And no need to talk about hypothesis or such high falutin stuffs.

I'm not veering off from the main issue of our discussion here, i.e. that Islam allows the rape of captive women. Previously in your humble attempt you said that Islam prohibits rape because it's a sin. Now when you're caught agreeing to my allegation above, suddenly you go on the defensive and blame me of deceit & being crafty.

Mr. Ahmad, I'm simply pointing out something that you yourself admitted to above! And I simply asked for confirmation: Did you really mean it when you agreed with me when I said Islam allowed the rape of captive women?

It's a simple Yes or No. If Yes, then I was right all along. If No, then I'd accept it that you didn't really understand my reply & made a hasty remark.

Edited by Trident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 6:31pm

What?? Do you think all those posts for explaining contrary to your hypothesis, were just for nothing? Are you sane? Instead of refuting me logically you are using sly tactics on me as "caught". Indeed, I could not find any difference between you and your master. 

When you keep repeating the same baseless allegations "..... that Islam allows the rape of a captive women." despite my convincingly logical explanations against them, I don't think I have to cast any more pearls here. I think the topic is well discussed and well replied untill or unless any new arguments or points are raised. Let everyone on the forum decide for themselves. I don't have to enforce my arguments as truth shall standout clearly all by itself. Peace. 

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 6:40pm
I agree with "AhmadJoyia"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>
  Share Topic