IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - QUESTIONS ABOUT ISLAM  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QUESTIONS ABOUT ISLAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauline35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2006 at 10:34pm
Hello! Colin, who are they? I don't like hypocrisy but so far none of the Muslims have shown one of the kind. I like a logical discussion but not something to fire and shoot without a bullet or attacking any of the religions. That's my upbringing to respect one another irrespective of their religions and races.
Piccasso View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piccasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2006 at 4:16pm

Hello.

I have to ask a question about Islam. I am not Muslim and do not know the answer to a question I was asked so I am asking it here.

If a Muslim does something wrong can he be forgiven by God/Allah? I have tried to research but only find the punishment that person can be given by other men. Can the person only be forgiven by Allah if he confesses the sin to men? Or can he be forgiven by Allah if other men never know about the sin?

I am from a Christian background so I can only think of the answer in those terms and do not know what the Islamic answer is.

Thank you

Piccasso View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piccasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2006 at 4:33pm
If this person repents before age 40 is that true that it makes a difference? Is this a belief of all Muslims or only some. I do not know enough to say and maybe that is a belief from one group but not all groups. I found it only in one place I looked but not others.  
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2006 at 9:41pm

Originally posted by Piccasso Piccasso wrote:

If a Muslim does something wrong can he be forgiven by God/Allah? I have tried to research but only find the punishment that person can be given by other men. Can the person only be forgiven by Allah if he confesses the sin to men? Or can he be forgiven by Allah if other men never know about the sin?

O my dear brother Piccasso, here are few of my views about your question: In Islam, we have two kinds of rights over an individual to comply. Rights of the God (haqooq Allah) on the individual such as regular worships and all its associated obligations. Second, is the Rights of other individuals around him (haqooq Ibad) such as living in a society for example promises he made to his friend/s, or his honesty in his livelihood etc. It is believed that, if a person tries to ask forgiveness to God, God may forgive him for his negiligences owed towards His worship i.e. negligence of "haqooq Allah", but not of those committed against "haqooq Ibad". For this, i.e. violations against "haqooq Ibad", an individual must ask forgiveness to that individual to whom he had wronged. Hence, in Islam, though all sins are against God, but God has made it clear that if someone has done wrong to this brother/society, only that brother/society can forgive him. So, the Islamic laws are made to ensure that people behave responsibly in dealing among each other.

There is no concept of "confession" to priests in Islam as seen in some denominations of Christianity. An individual is fully responsible for all his actions as there there is no escape gate untill or unless one sincerely repents for his wrong doings; repent to God for all his wrongs in his worship obligations "haqooq Allah", and ask forgiveness to those individuals to whom he had wronged towards their rights "haqooq Ibad".

For us as Muslims, since no one knows when he will die, therefore, repentance must done as soon as the fault is realised. There is no specific 40 years limit; not at least that I read about anywhere.

Kindly do let me know if you need further clarification or any thing else. peace.

Piccasso View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piccasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2006 at 11:09pm
It would be impossible to ask forgiveness from the person sinned against. It was an act done to a person a long time ago in another place. The person I think was not known. The person who was sinned against was a very bad man. Your answer was helpful. It is difficult to think outside of my own knowledge on this question.
Piccasso View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piccasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2006 at 11:39pm

http://www.submission.org/teresa.html

I do not find this in other places I searched so this is his opinion or not a standard belief.

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 3:35pm

Originally posted by Piccasso Piccasso wrote:

It would be impossible to ask forgiveness from the person sinned against. It was an act done to a person a long time ago in another place. The person I think was not known. The person who was sinned against was a very bad man. Your answer was helpful. It is difficult to think outside of my own knowledge on this question.
Yap! There could be numerous situations in which one may not be able to ask another person for forgiveness. I can see that. For such a situation, I think, one's own intentions and efforts to ask for repentence from the others would, though remain unsuccessful, should be enough to absolve him from his past wrong doings; indeed God is ever all seer and all hearer the most merciful. At the day of judgement, the actions shall be wieghed through one's intentions, therefore no need to worry if one used all his efforts through clear intentions to repent.

It is for this reason, it is often suggested that one should not ask, in one's prayer to God, for justice, but for His mercy. Indeed only through His mercy that anyone can hope to enter paradise not merely through his good deeds. This makes a person more humble and God fearing.

As far as 40 years age is concerned, I do note from your reference, but I don't think such websites are of any credibility. Many people on this forum may give their opinion about it. Nevertheless, at any rate, this view of 40 years age limit, is not popular among Muslims, that I know of.

Edited by AhmadJoyia
Shams Zaman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 4:49am

Dear Brother Piccasso!

I think brother Ahmed has quite clearly answered your question. But I would just like to add that the mercy is not only limited for Muslims alone or the God/Allah does not belong to Muslims alone. He is creator and sustainer of all that exist. So anyone who seek mercy with a real and sincere heart will definately be forgiven by Allah:

6:54. And when those who believe in Our communications come to you, say: Peace be on you, your Lord has ordained mercy on Himself, (so) that if any one of you does evil in ignorance, then turns after that and acts aright, then He is Forgiving, Merciful.

4:31. If you avoid the great sins which you are forbidden, We will do away with your small sins and cause you to enter an honorable place of entering.

39:53. Say: O my servants! who have acted extravagantly against their own souls, do not despair of the mercy of Allah; surely Allah forgives the faults altogether; surely He is the Forgiving the Merciful.

4:48. Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and forgives what is besides that to whomsoever He Will; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he devises indeed a tremendous sin

There are lot of things that Muslims practice that has nothing to do with Islam. Like in Indo-Pakistan most Muslims prostrate in front of the graves of Sufis and saints (this is an unforgiveable sin and means associating partners with God). So Islam is not to be judged by what Muslims do or believe but what is told in Quran and by Prophet Muhammad. This 40 year concept is nowhere given in Quran, Hadith to my knowledge is also deviod of any such concept.

If such a person is dead or can't be found then something on his behalf should be given in charity to some poor or needy and the forgiveness should be seeked from Allah. Even if the other man was bad, we can not take the legal action or punish him at our own. The punishment has to be routed through state or court of law.

Shams Zaman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>
  Share Topic