IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Give, Give,Give  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Give, Give,Give

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Give, Give,Give
    Posted: 04 November 2005 at 8:33am
Asalaam Alaikum to all, just wanted to ask all of you my sisters and brothers again to dig deep and give more than you think you can to all that are suffering in the world. Remember if you pass away tommorow your money will not bring you anything but your charity will. Some people that are really in need include, Sudan, Mali, Niger, Guatemala, Pakistan, India, Iraq, Afghanistan...Just to name some of the very needy. Some great charities are Unicef, Islamic relief, The international alliance of Red Cross, Red Crescent just to name a few. Finally I have some Ideas of things you can do to dig up extra cash.
1. Return any clothes or items that are new with the tags that you are not really sure you need and give the money to charity.
2. Go through your car and house every few months and cash in all of your spare change AND DONATE IT. This could easily be 30-50$ every 3 months.
3. Host a sisters or brothers party. If you are a sister plan an evening where your husband takes the kids to another friends house, Then with the help of maybe another sister, plan an evening in your home for other tired moms and sisters. Do a theme of food and some nice music and plan fun activities, with no kids allowed. This is a ladies only night. Ask everyone for a donation of say 25$ and you donate the food and fun. What a great way to collect money for charity.
4. Dig out all of your old stuff and sell it, through the paper, or friends ect. and donate the money. Or if you have the capacity have a garage sale and donate the proceeds.
5. Simply ask your friends or family to give money for a cause, make a personal appeal and explain the plight of a people to them and ask for thier help. This is very powerful.
6. If you don't have the capacity to give money you can allways give your time, help a refugee by offering to drive them places like the grocery store or doctors appointment and help them fill out forms. Or help an elderly person who does not have family close by. Check with your mosque or catholic community services who specialize in refugee settlement.
 I hope you all like my ideas and can pass this along to all that you know. And I hope all of you like me can plan your own sisters night for fun and charity!!! Peace Allah Hafez..

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 8:49am

Assalamu alaikum,

Thanks for the great post Jenni!  It is easy to come up with some bucks for charity when one puts ones mind to it.  I like the ideas you posted.  Here are just a few more:

- buy one less cup of coffee each day and put the money aside for charity, you will end up with over 365 dollars in a year!  (I don't know about elsewhere, but here in Canada people buy tons of premade coffee each day - Tim Hortons is lined up all hours of the day and night!)

- cancel any magazine subscriptions for mags you don't read much or can read at the local library instead (or, buddy up with a sister and each get one subscription to two different mags, then share - use the extra money from the one you no longer get for charity)

- think twice before purchasing anything - do you really need that item?  Can you live without it?  Someone, somewhere may need that money far more than you!

- if you eat lunch at work/school, consider bringing homemade bag lunch instead of buying from cafeteria or resturant - use the money saved for charity.

- each time you fast, give the money you would have spent on food that day to charity.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 3:55pm

Bismillah,

I agree sisters that you have some great fundraising ideas here.

To Jenni's point of helping people out when you have no money:  There are many poor people who could use a ride to the store so that they don't have to carry heavy groceries a mile to their house, help cleaning their homes when they are sick; a newer jilbab because their old ones are tattered; an Islaamic story book for their children (those things are expensive for poor people!); an older person may just need company!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 10:18pm
I really like both of your ideas, lets hope that people take it to heart. After all, poverty is caused by the hoarding of wealth, there are enough food and resources in the world to feed everyone. If people were not greedy all of these problems would be minimized... Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
aishag88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aishag88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 12:06pm
 great ideas. Insh'Allah this will help me and others
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 4:02pm

Bismillah,

For Eed I insisted on taking a sister and her family to a small potluck.  It was a long drive, but she was very happy and so were her boys. 

I am new here, and she has been here for years.  I am suggesting this seems small, but we need to strengthen our community by caring about our Muslim neighbors.  Where were all of the others who have known her for 20 years?  They know she is poor and doesn't drive. Why didn't anyone drive her to the Eed prayer (my car was full)? 

Please let's help our Muslim friends and neighbors and of course the people of other faiths also.  Small things like this are sadaqa, and they make a big difference to others.

Our neighbor, who I barely know, gave an Eed gift to my son.  He was surprised and happy because they thought of him.  This was an act of sadaqa on their part, and blessed.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 6:02am
Thanks all sisters, I hope we can all focus on bringing positive change to the world and reach out to others and our non muslim friends and neighbors. One of the influences on me becoming Muslim were my muslim friends who included me in all festivities and threw me a baby shower BEFORE I was muslim. Thier acceptance and kindness and the love of my husbands mom and family made it much easier to convert knowing my family may be upset with me.
I hope we can all get more involved, and maybe for the next eid where we do Qourbani we can go to our local masjid and ask if there are some local families whos kids need some new clothes and toys and do some shopping for them. At the same time with Christmas coming up maybe we can get our masjid or just our friends to do a food drive and to collect toys or books for needy families. Peace
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic