IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - quran and science  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

quran and science

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 26>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2014 at 12:23pm
My Question to Honeto
Quote Again (in explicit form): Why does God want us to accept his existence ?
And to add another layer: Why would God want us to worship him ?

Your (Honeto's) Answer:
Quote God is free of all wants or need. God does not need our worship to be God, we need Him however, we are dependent upon Him.
If Nokia makes a phone and that phone does not serve it's purpose what you do think Nokia will do with it?

And later:
... If we don't serve our purpose what use we have other than to be used as fuel for fire.

Now: On one side you write "God doesn't need our worship" (why shall we than worship him ???)
but on the other side you speak of "purpose".

From your first sentence I conclude that our purpose is not "worshiping him".

What is it than ?

Confused: Airmano

Edited by airmano - 17 November 2014 at 12:35pm
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2014 at 11:09pm
Allah says in ch 67 v 2 of Quran Allah created life and death to test us who is good in deeds.Allah wants to see whether we obey him or not.Allah in ch 51 v 56 says Allah created humans and jinns only to worship him.Allah in ch 40 v 60 of Quran says ask Allah so that he will give you and anybody who is refrained from this will go to hell.so it is for our betterment we worship Allah.Allah in ch 4 v 28 says Allah is here to remove difficulties, he created man weak.so when we pray we pray so that we can be successful in this world and hereafter.Allah also gave a prayer to us-"oh lord grant us good in this world and hereafter and save us from torment if fire"(ch 2 v 201), in fact Allah to increase the weight of prayer said in ch 37 v 143-144 that if prophet jonah (pbuh) would not asked Allah for help, Allah would have kept him in belly of whale till judgement day.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 9:10am
Naba
Quote Allah in ch 51 v 56 says Allah created humans and jinns only to worship him

So after all, our [only] duty is to worship him ?

Any idea why He wants this [especially since he even doesn't even need it] ?

More and more confused: Airmano

Edited by airmano - 18 November 2014 at 9:14am
Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I'm not sure I see the
difference.� If I wrote a book claiming the existence of the Celestial
Teapot, and asked an expert in teapots to evaluate my book, would that
then be a "real situation"?� If the expert responded that based on my
book, he couldn't refute the claim, would he then be endorsing the
existence of the Celestial Teapot?
While the Celestial Teapot is something hypothetical, the development of a human embryo in stages is something real--that's the difference

It doesn't worry me that my reason
is in conflict with your fantastic tale.� It should worry you that your
fantasy is in conflict with reason.
That's exactly what we call choice. You choose your imperfect reason as the only way of guidance, but I choose my reason+Allah's guidance as the way of guidance.

But is it
filling the gaps with truth, or with fantasy?� And how do you know, unless
you too are relying on reason to evaluate the Quran?
Of course, I rely on my reason to assess whether it is fantasy or truth, but not as the sole means for guidance. I rely on my reason to assess the various signs visible around us, the most prominent being the intelligent design you observe in the natural world. I don't think any reasonable soul can be under the illusion that all these perfect design came in to existence on its own,especially when humans even with all the advanced technologies are incapable of producing something similar even at an atomic scale!

"I must emphasize that this is a list
of the most influential persons in history, not a list of the
greatest.� For example, there is room in my list for an enormously
influential, wicked, and heartless man like Stalin, but no place at all
for the saintly Mother Cabrini." - Michael H. Hart,
The
100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has been included in the list only for the positive influence he had on a society. The below words from Michael H. Hart are self explanatory:

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular levels. Of humble origins, Muhammad founded and promulgated one of the world's great religions, and became an immensely effective political leader. Today, thirteen centuries after his death, his influence is still powerful and pervasive. The majority of the persons in this book had the advantage of being born and raised in centers of civilization, highly cultured or politically pivotal nations. Muhammad, however, was born in the year 570, in the city of Mecca, in southern Arabia, at that time a backward area of the world, far from the centers of trade, art, and learning."

I am not free at all to make the
choice.� I have to accept the evidence and the results of my own reason,
just as you do.� As
Alice
put it (in Through the Looking-Glass), "There's no use trying.� One
can't believe impossible things."
As long as human reason is not absolute, it ultimately boils down to one's choice, I would say.
Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Naba
Quote Allah in ch 51 v 56 says Allah created humans and jinns only to worship him

So after all, our [only] duty is to worship him ?

Any idea why He wants this [especially since he even doesn't even need it] ?

More and more confused: Airmano

Sorry to jump the line, can you please let us know your understanding of "worship of Allah". Maybe the source of confusion lies right there!
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

My Question to Honeto
Quote Again (in explicit form): Why does God want us to accept his existence ?
And to add another layer: Why would God want us to worship him ?

Your (Honeto's) Answer:
Quote God is free of all wants or need. God does not need our worship to be God, we need Him however, we are dependent upon Him.
If Nokia makes a phone and that phone does not serve it's purpose what you do think Nokia will do with it?

And later:
... If we don't serve our purpose what use we have other than to be used as fuel for fire.

Now: On one side you write "God doesn't need our worship" (why shall we than worship him ???)
but on the other side you speak of "purpose".

From your first sentence I conclude that our purpose is not "worshiping him".

What is it than ?

Confused: Airmano

Yes I see that pretty well. When you go only after key words with a set mind it will take away your ability to understand the message contained in the whole writing, and your ability to learn.

What I am saying is that God is free of any needs. It is us the humans or any of His created things and being that are in need. We of ourselves cannot do anything. On the other hand God does not need anything or anyone, God is free of that what we are not. I hope up to this point you understand what I mean.
In order to get the good of hereafter we are told, WE NEED TO WORK TOWARD IT. So, if you want any part in the life of the hereafter YOU WILL NEED TO WORK AS GOD HAS DIRECTED, THUS YOU WILL BE WORSHIPING HIM. If you do not want any part in the life of the hereafter, or don't believe in it, or don't care what it is, and for you everything is now, Allah says you will not have any part in the hereafter. Not only that for your denial of the one who created you and provide for you, and for doing whatever your heart desires, thus committing excesses He will punish you exactly as much as you deserve according to you deeds, because God is Just. Those who serve and worship Him (for the purpose He made us) He will be pleased with and will reward them something better than ever and they will live forever in a place of desirable comforts and blessings.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 18 November 2014 at 1:08pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 2:10pm
Well, sorry for being so stubborn,

A) I realize that after all you also think we should worship him [in our own interest]. It took a while but ...OK!

But this still doesn't answer my question:

B) Any idea why He wants this [especially since he even doesn't even need it] ?

Please try to be precise and short (and without any Quran citations) in your answer.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 18 November 2014 at 2:21pm
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 7:45pm
Airmano, I think you're raising a similar question as Justin Schieber does in an argument against the existence of God.  I heard Scheiber's presentation of this argument quite a while ago, so I hope I am recalling it correctly; but as I remember it, it goes something like this:

God, by definition, is perfect, in the sense that he is the best possible god, and nothing can be added that would improve Him.
From the above, we can conclude that such a God would have no wants and no needs (because unfulfilled wants or needs would imply that He is not perfect).
In particular, such a God would neither want nor need to create anything, because that would only add something inferior to God and/or would be of no benefit to God (so why would He want or need it?).
Therefore, such a God could not have been responsible for creating the universe.

You might find the podcast interesting.  My apologies if I have misdirected you.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 26>
  Share Topic