IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - quran and science  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

quran and science

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoya fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quran and science
    Posted: 21 April 2014 at 11:42am
      yellowhow quran is explaining scirnce.give some examples
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 2:27pm
I'm afraid there are none.
The Qur'an is a spritual book that has no scientific intentions. All the mediocre interpreters that seek for scientific knowldege in and from the Qur'an always come late - well after the scientific issues have been formulated and published by competent scientists. Claiming to be "first" after somebody else has done the the work is unfortunately common but nevertheless bad practice.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 10 May 2014 at 2:30pm
Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 12:28pm
Quran is the ultimate book of wisdom which covers all aspects of human life and contains a number of scientific references far beyond the level of scientific knowledge that was available at the time of its revelation. Some examples below among many stands testimony to its divine origin having mentioned scientific facts known only as late as in the last couple of centuries, some 14 centuries ago:

Al Anbiya 21:30: Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe? - This is perfectly in line with the modern scientific idea of primary nebula followed by separation of elements resulting in formation of galaxies. Also a clear reference to the aquatic origin of life.

Nooh 71:15-16: See ye not how Allah hath created seven heavens in harmony, And hath made the moon a light therein, and made the sun a lamp? - A clear differentiation between sun which is in a state of combustion producing both light and heat whereas the moon as an inert body reflecting only light.

It is not logically correct to say that scientific interpretations from Quran comes well after these are established by modern science because it is the Quran that came 14 centuries earlier and it remains same but the scientific knowledge became available only in the last few centuries and this in fact really points to the limitation of modern science like any other human tools that nobody could really understand the depth of scientific meaning that is available in the Quranic verses revealed some 14 centuries ago!

The Quran & Modern Science by Maurice Bucaille is an excellent read on this topic
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=uld0Y-mLoVQC
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 1:02pm
You are saying that "the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them" means "the modern scientific idea of primary nebula followed by separation of elements resulting in formation of galaxies" and "hath made the moon a light therein, and made the sun a lamp" means "sun which is in a state of combustion producing both light and heat whereas the moon as an inert body reflecting only light".

I'd say you are reaching for miracles where none exist. These verses could mean what you say or they could and probably do mean something completely different. This reminds me of the canonization of saints in the Christian faith where miracles are attributed to famous figures to get them up to the required 2 miracle minimum. You should read about some of those miracles, definitely a stretch of the imagination.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 2:44pm
Ha, nice ! Let's go:
First a question: Do you speak Arabic ? If 'yes' does Arabic distinguish between "heaven and sky" or is there only one word for both meanings - as it is the case for most languages ?
More to this Surat once you've replied.

Next one:
"See ye not how Allah hath created seven heavens in harmony, And hath made the moon a light therein, and made the sun a lamp?
Have you ever been to Saudi Arabia in Summertime? If 'yes' did you feel the effect of the sun during daytime and what the moon does to your skin at nighttime ? Does it really require supernatural knowledge to claim that one of the two shines brighter/heats whereas the other does not ?
Furthermore, look at this one http://history.stackexchange.com/questions/7890/who-discovered-first-that-the-moon-does-not-have-its-own-light
Admittedly I didn't check any further whether this link is reliable but knowing the Greeks I'd bet it is! And well -sorry for your claim- they did it almost a thousand years ahead of the Qur'an.

Last not least: How many Nobel prices have been won, based on knowledge distilled from the Qur'an ? I guess you know the answer.

Edited by airmano - 15 May 2014 at 3:29pm
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 9:54am
Quran is a miracle not only because of the scientific references it has but also because of a number of unique characteristics which clearly sets it far above any of human works, including the superior moral lessons, an unmatched ease in handling a variety of subjects as complex as creation of the universe to matters of our daily life, an impeccable consistency of facts throughout its verses, the fact that it has and will remain the same always, the superior elegance of its language, the sound reasoning it provides on various subjects, and the universal and timeless nature of its message etc.

Even if you are unsure about the interpretation, is it reasonable to think that the verse itself "the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them" came from a human source 1400 years ago when they had no access to such knowledge? Anybody who takes an effort to appreciate some of the miraculous characters of Quran mentioned above cannot do so.

However, I am happy that you are still open to the light when you say �These verses could mean what you say or they could and probably do mean something completely different� and do hope Allah will guide you to the true path someday.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 12:50am
Quranexplorer: "Quran is a miracle not only because of the scientific references it has"
No, you keep pretending the same thing in a more disguised form. I'm still missing the convincing scientific miracle.
I replied to one surat/example - but from your side no recognition of the greeks that found out long time before the Qur'an. No comment on my question about "heaven and sky" either.
Last not least: How can a book which states: "and We have revealed the Book to you explaining clearly everything (16:89)" or "These are the verses of the book that make things clear(26:2)" leave so much room for (mis-) interpretation ?
Very last not least: Could you give me the objective linguistic criteria (so no tautologic Qu'ran citation) which shows the linguistic superiority of the Qur'an to non-believers as well ?

Edited by airmano - 17 May 2014 at 2:57am
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 6:38am
To answer airmano:

Going by the logic of your question �Have you ever been to Saudi Arabia in Summertime? If 'yes' did you feel the effect of the sun during daytime and what the moon does to your skin at nighttime ? Does it really require supernatural knowledge to claim that one of the two shines brighter/heats whereas the other does not ?� the stars that appear in the sky also should be inert bodies just giving light without heat, whereas they are not. The stars are bodies of combustion producing both heat and light and the Quranic verses have no contradictions on this aspect as well. So if you living in this century of information can get your statement wrong, whereas the Quran-a book 1400 years ago gets everything right always, doesn�t that look a bit supernatural?? - see we are already getting more reasons why Quran is a miracle!

The Arabic word used in this verse is Samawaat (a plural of 'Samaa') that refers to the sky and any part of the wider expanse of the universe (courtesy to this link http://quransmessage.com/articles/heaven%20and%20paradise%20FM3.htm) - by the way your �Greek link� did not take me anywhere, it just brought me back to this page!

And coming to the Nobel Prize, again human weakness-created ones not able to comprehend the creator's wisdom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
  Share Topic