IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Family Store  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Family Store

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MahamedMahamed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family Store
    Posted: 20 April 2014 at 12:24pm
My parents purchased a pizza and sandwich shop that sells pork. They want me to work, if I say no it'll be a bad situation for me. What should I do? Is it haram if I work, or should I say no and be looked at badly by my parents?
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2014 at 3:40am
Working in a store which sells pork pizza

I just completed my master in computer scince and am now looking for a job. My Question is that during my study and now I am working in a pizza store as a delivery person which is owned by a 'Qadiani', and he is selling pork pizza. Can I work in his store because most of the pizza orders are pork pizza?

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for you to do work which involves carrying pork and delivering it to the people who are going to eat it. Because by doing so you are taking part and cooperating in sin. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Help you one another in al-birr and al-taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression�" [al-Maa�idah 5:2]
We ask Allaah to help you find acceptable work and a halaal income, for He is the All-Hearing Who answers prayers.

"� And whoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine�" [al-Talaaq 65:2]

http://islamqa.info/en/1883
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2014 at 11:39pm
Assalamalecum,u shud say no to ur parents, bcoz our priority is to obey Allah first.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 8:16am
Allah (swt) forbid the consumption of pork by virtue of clear and unquestionable verses in the Holy Quran. The Sunna clearly outlaws the sale of pork, according to the Hadith narrated by Jaber ibni Abdillah (ra), that he heard the Messenger of Allah (ppbuh) in the Year of Victory when he was in Makka, saying: "Allah and His Messenger forbid the sale of alcohol, dead carcasses, pork and idols" . Therefore, the work that you are performing is associated with the sale of pork and is thus forbidden as clearly stated in the previous Hadith. Hence, it is upon you to try your best to find an alternative means of making a living. If you fail in doing so, then you may ask your managers at McDonalds to excuse you from selling pork, or you may co-ordinate with another worker so that you may work at other matters which do not involve selling pork. However, if you find difficulty in doing so, or if you realise that this may affect your work at this food vendor, then you may continue to work if you do not have another sufficient source of income. You must, in any case, remain in pursuit of another job which does not involve dealing in any Haram.

European Council for Fatwa and Research

Edited by abuayisha - 23 April 2014 at 8:17am
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 8:21am
Question: Can I work at the check out of a supermarket that sells pork and alcohol? Is my income halal? Also, will touching such pork and alcohol render my hands and clothes filthy?

Answer: Walaikum assalam,

1. It would be permitted to work on the check out of a supermarket that sells things Muslims consider impermissible (such as pork, alcohol, wine, or food items with haram ingredients). One�s earnings will be lawful (halal). This is the position of Imam Abu Hanifa (Allah have mercy on him).

One should, however, dislike such items in one�s heart: loving that which Allah loves and hating that which Allah hates is from true faith. (For the reasoning, see first appended answer, below.)

This ruling refers to doing so in a non-Muslim country or in non-Muslim areas in a Muslim country.

2. It is not permitted to sell such items in one�s own supermarket. If one does, it is sinful. The revenue generated from such sales is unlawful. It would be obligatory to:

(a) repent from one�s error itself (through remorse, seeking forgiveness, and determining not to repeat the sin), and

(b) giving away the unlawfully earned money to the poor. (See second answer below.)

3. It is not haram to touch unlawful items, especially when there is a need. Normally, meats are wrapped, and the alcohol in bottles.

As such, there will be no transfer of filth (najasa) onto one�s hands or body. Given this, there is no need to renew your ablutions (wudu) before praying. It may be best, though, to wash your hands, when it is reasonably easy to do so.

And Allah alone gives success.
Walaikum assalam,
Faraz Rabbani.
Hanafi Fiqh

Edited by abuayisha - 23 April 2014 at 8:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic