IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ottoman Harem bad?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman Harem bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janissary7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman Harem bad?
    Posted: 10 April 2014 at 7:12am
Salaam brothers. I am a university student.

One day I was taking a course on Islamic empires, and we covered the Ottoman harem today. After class a non believing girlkept saying how misogynistic it was. But I had to ask myself, as lustful and sinful as the Ottoman sultans may have been, were they any better or worse than the average manor woman on any American campus today?

At least with ottomans, they actually protected the women in their power, and the girls had to be faithful to just one man, not following whatever lust they had.

So was Ottoman harem especially bad? Or just another form of human lust, which was far more restrained the west today?
Ali.Fahed View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali.Fahed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2015 at 9:01am
Salam brother

I think it's against the true teachings of islam. There are several aspect, one of them is that the money the sultan spent on the harem and palaces. They belong to the muslims and not to the sultan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic