IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Age of Nuh  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Age of Nuh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Age of Nuh
    Posted: 07 April 2014 at 2:07pm
Salaam Alaykum!

And certainly We sent Nuh to his people, so he remained among them a thousand years save fifty years. And the deluge overtook them, while they were unjust. 29:14

In the light of modern science, how could this verse indicate that Nuh AS lived 950 years? The longest-living terrestrial animals are tortoises, and some can live well past one hundred years. I don't believe animals less than ten thousand years ago had much of a different lifespan. If there was a difference, it would probably have to be shorter because animals are protected by us today.

I believe that science does not contradict the Quran and vice versa, but this verse is pretty glaring to me. I have thought about this, and I can't find anything that has came up with the same resolution that I have. That is - the verse does not indicate how old he lived but how long his message remained with his people. It makes sense to me because Ibrahim AS became a prophet about a thousand or so years after Nuh was born, so there is a long enough gap for a need of another prophet.

Some may say that "And the deluge overtook them, while they were unjust." indicates that the flood had to have occurred when he was 950 years old, but "so he remained among them a thousand years save fifty years" is probably an afterthought and does not relate to the flood.

I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 4:00am
Wa Alaikkum Asalaam,

No offence but I suggest you learn your deen properly. Read the Hadiths of the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and you will learn that people in the beginning of time lived longer and taller. Both the age and the height has been decreasing ever since.

Please bro DO NOT doubt the Qur'an.
JonP View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2014 at 12:02am
Would you mind referencing the hadiths that say that? I don't believe there are any. Are there other passages in the Quran that say how old a prophet is? Actually, we are living longer and are much taller than ever before, I do not doubt the Quran, but I do doubt some people's interpretation of it.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2014 at 7:20pm
Regarding the age of prophet Nuh (peace be upon him), if Allah willed to make him live to 950 years, then certainly He could do that.  It might be difficult to comprehend, but Allah's power is infinite and we cannot fathom what He can do.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

JonP View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 12:04am
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Regarding the age of prophet Nuh (peace be upon him), if Allah willed to make him live to 950 years, then certainly He could do that.� It might be difficult to comprehend, but Allah's power is infinite and we cannot fathom what He can do.

I understand that, but why would Allah do that? It makes more sense to me that the verse indicates the longevity of his message rather than his age. Ibrahim AS came later and the gap between the two is the length of time Nuh's AS message lasted. If we are to agree that the prophet's ages agree with the Bible, then would we also agree to why humans live to be no older than 120 years? In Genesis 6:3, God limits human's life to 120 years because man is wicked.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 4:04am
Originally posted by JonP JonP wrote:

Would you mind referencing the hadiths that say that? I don't believe there are any. Are there other passages in the Quran that say how old a prophet is? Actually, we are living longer and are much taller than ever before, I do not doubt the Quran, but I do doubt some people's interpretation of it.

Sahih International

And We certainly sent Noah to his people, and he remained among them a thousand years minus fifty years, and the flood seized them while they were wrongdoers.
29:14

Narrated Abu Huraira:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Allah created Adam, making him 60 cubits tall. When He created him, He said to him, "Go and greet that group of angels, and listen to their reply, for it will be your greeting (salutation) and the greeting (salutations of your offspring." So, Adam said (to the angels), As-Salamu Alaikum (i.e. Peace be upon you). The angels said, "As-salamu Alaika wa Rahmatu-l-lahi" (i.e. Peace and Allah's Mercy be upon you). Thus the angels added to Adam's salutation the expression, 'Wa Rahmatu-l-lahi,' Any person who will enter Paradise will resemble Adam (in appearance and figure). People have been decreasing in stature since Adam's creation.

Edited by Abu Loren - 10 April 2014 at 4:04am
JonP View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 5:52pm
I have no idea how that would work out on earth. Sixty cubits equals to about 90 feet. It could be metaphorical such as a stature equals a person's piety or it could mean that it was only in heaven where Adam was that tall. I believe it is the latter because in that paragraph, he is speaking to a group of angels.
Iwan View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:45pm
I have the same interpretation with you JonP that it is Prophet Nuh's teachings that lived for 1000 less 50. It is also interesting to note why qur'an use 1000 less 50 years when Arabs at the time of prophet Muhammad can write down exactly 950 instead of 1000 less 50. So there must be something that Allah want to convey to us using this sentence that we don't know. Is Allah trying to convey that it is just saying a long period (hundreds of years) instead of exactly 950 years?. Maybe someone with expertise in Arabic language and culture found similar case on other matters like this?
Salaam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic