IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - David in the Bible and the Quran  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David in the Bible and the Quran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David in the Bible and the Quran
    Posted: 06 April 2014 at 12:49pm
http://quranandbible.blogspot.com/2014/04/david-in-bible-and-quran.html

In this lengthy article, I examine the Biblical story of David and the many contradictions found in it.  I also discuss the much shorter Quranic version.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Al Saadiqeen21 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 6:43am
Daauwd / Daawiyd / David ,

The Holy Qur'aan 2 ; 249 -252 , Revealed In The Year 624 - 626 A.D. Al Baqarah ( The Heifer ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; So when Sha'uwl left with the soldiers , he said ; ''Surely , Allah will test you ( by your faith by guiding ) you to a Nahr 'River' , and whoever drinks from it , he is not of Me and he who does not taste it ( the river ) , surely he is if Me . Except for him who sips a handful belongs to Me ; but with the exception of a few ( of the soldiers ) , they drank of it ( the river ) . So when ( Sha'uwl ) had crossed it , he and those who were faithful with him ( to him - The Source ) , they said ; ''We don't have any power today against Golyath ( the Giant ) and his armies ( soldiers ) , Those who think ( the right way ) ; which is that , they will meet their 'Master ' , who is Rabb said ; ''How often has The Source , Allah let a small Fi-atan 'Band ( Of Enosites ) conquer a numerous Fi-atan 'Band ( Of Enosites ) by Allah's permission ? And The Source , Allah is with Al Saabiriyn ''Those Who Are Patient .

( 250 ) . And when they left to go to fight Golyath , ( the 9 foot giant ) and his army , ( the Ghibboreem Philistines ; the Children of Jacob ) said ; ''Our Rabb! Pour down upon us patience and aid us to stand firm on our feet ( against them ) , and Ansurnaa 'Aid Us against this kindred ( the Philistines ) . They are of those who conceal what they know are facts .

( 251 ) . So they ( the Israelites ) by the permission of The Source , Allah defeated and made them ( the Philistines ) run away and Dawiyd killed Golyath of Gath , ( the son of Golyath and Orpah the 9 foot giant ) , and Allah Aataahu 'Gave Him ( Dawiyd ) Al Mulk 'The Rulership and Hikma 'Wisdom' ( to rule it ) , and Allamahu 'Taught Him Allah's will ; and if The Source did not inspire some of the Mortals over others ( of the Naas ) , the whole planet Tiamat , Al Ard 'Earth would be in mischief ; but The Source , Allah is the possessor of all grace over all the Known Worlds .

( 252 ) . These are the signs of The Source; We the Heavenly Host recite them to you , ( Muhammad ) as facts ( beyond any doubt ) ; and surely , you are one of the Mursaliyn ''One Sent . < Dawiyd's Victory Over Golyath , The Giant

The Holy Qur'aan 4;163  , Revealed In The Year 625 - 627 A.D. Al Nisaa  ( The Mortal Women ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; Surely , We the Heavenly Host , Awhaynaa 'Gave Inspiration to you ( Muhammaf ) , just as We Awhaynaa 'Gave Inspiration to Noach , and Al Nabiyyiin ''The Newsbearers , Males Of Prophecy , who came after him , and We the Heavenly Host Awhaynaa 'Gave Inspiration 'To Abrawhawm , and Yishmael , and Yitschaq , and Ya'aqob , and Al Isbaat 'The Tribes ( of Ishmaelites , Israelites Midianites , ) and Isa , and Yowb , and Yonah , and Aharown , and Shelomoh , and We , ( the Heavenly Host ) Ataynaa 'Gave 'Dawiyd , the Zubuwraan 'Psalms . ( Awsawf / Asaph , son of Berekyah / Berachiah , wrote the Psalms with Dawiyd ) .

The Holy Qur'aan 5;78 , Revealed In The Year 627 - 629 A.D. Maaidah  ( The Table Of Food  ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; Cursed are those who conceal what they know to ne the facts , from amongst the Children Of Israel ; ( ten tribes other than Dan and Judah ) , by the very tongue of Dawiyd ( Syriac , Aramic ) And Yashu'a ( Hebrew , Aramic Syriac ) , the Ibn 'Adopted Son of Miriam ; that was because they disobeyed - ( mixed with certain Canaanites )  , and were transgrrssors ( they started worshipping the deity 'Baal ) ,

The Holy Qur'aan 6;84 , Revealed In The Year 627  A.D. Al Anaam   ( The Cattle   ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; And We Heavely Host , Wahabnaa Gave on him ( Abrawhawm ) , Yitschaq and Ya'aqob / Yisrawale ; We Heavely Host ,calmed each of them , and We Heavely Host ,also calmed Noah before them and of his offspring ; Dawiyd and Shelomoh and Yowb and Yosafe and Mosheh and Aharown , and thus We Heavely Host ,rewarded the ones who does that which is best .

The Holy Qur'aan 17;55 , Revealed In The Year 618  A.D. Banee Israa'iyl ( Children Of Yisrawale / Jacobites ) Or Al Isra The Night Journey ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; And ( Muhammad ) , your Rabb knows who is in Al Sammaawaati 'The Skies ' ( which beings live in the skies ) and The Planet Earth and indeed We Heavenly Host Fadal 'Preferred some of Al Nabiy-yina 'The Newsbearers - ( the major prophets . 1. Adam , 2 . Adafa , 3. Noach , 4 . Abrawhawm , 5 . Yitskhwq , 6 . Yishmawale , 7 . Luqman , 8 . Mosheh , 9 . Isa , 10 . Muhammad over some others - ( the minor newdbearers likes ; 1. Seth , 2 . Ya'aqob , 3 . Daniye'l , 4 . Yesha'yah , 5 . Yirmeyah , 6 . Yahyaa and We Heavenly Host gave Dawiyd the Zabuwr 'Psalms .

The Holy Qur'aan 21;78  , Revealed In The Year 616 - 617  A.D. Al Anbiyaa ( The Newsbearers  , Where It States , And I Quote ; And Dawiyd and Shelomoh , when they give wisdom in ( the matter concerning ) the field , when The Kindreds sheep had strayed and browsed in it , ( by the Shadow Hour Period ) and We Heavenly Host were Shaahidiyn 'Watchers ' to their wisdom ( judgement ) .

The Holy Qur'aan 27 ; 15  , Revealed In The Year 617 - 618  A.D. Al Nami  ( The Ants )   , Where It States , And I Quote ; And indeed We Heavely Host Aatay 'Gave Dawiyd and Shelomoh 'Ilmaan Knowledge , and they said ; Al Hamdu All Gratitude is The Source , Allah's who preferred us over many of His faithful slaves .

Daauwd [ 1107 -1007 B.E.C. ] or David , Which comes from the Aramic / Hebrew word Daawiyd means ''Beloved , Loving . '' He was the second King of Israel , ( Ruth 4 ; 17 ) And the father of King Solomon [ 1024 -967 B.C.E. ] ( 2Samuels 5 ; 15 ) .

The Book of Ruth 4;17 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And the women her Neigbors gave it a name , saying . There is a son born to Naomi ; and they calledd his name Obed ; he is the Father of Jesse , the father of David .

The Second Book of Samuel 5 ; 14 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And These be the names of those that were born unto him in Jerusalem ; Shammuah , and Shobah , and Nathan and Solomon .

David was the youngest son of Jesse ( Ruth 4 ; 22 ) and Hilmah . He was from Bethlehem ,  and a mere Shepherd Boy ,

The Book of Ruth 4; 22 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And Obed begat Jesse , and Jesse begat David

When he confronted The Philistine Warrior , Giant name Goliath of Gath , Or Jaliyt Min Jat , ( 1Samuels 17 ; 4 ) .

The First Book of Samuel 17 ; 4 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And there went out a champion out of the Camp of the Philistines  name Goliath of Gath whose height was Six Cubits and a spac .

Also refer to The First Book of Samuel Chapter 17 . Click here: 1Samuel 17 :: Arabic/English Online Bible

Not only was He A Warrior , But also A Musician , A Singer of Songs , A Poet , And a very Wise Man . In his youth , David was simple ,Modest , And Obedient . It was these qualities that made David King , Over King Saul .

The First Book of Samuel 9;2 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And he had a son , whose name was Saul , a choice young man , and a Goodly and there was not among the Children of Israel a goodier Person than he from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the People .

After Saul was killed by The Philistines , The Prophet David was Anointed King of Judah ; He then moved The Ark Of The Covenant , Which housed The Laws Of Moses , To Jerusalem . The Laws that were estblished by David United The Israelite State and Empire which endured for a span of Four Centuries ( 1Samuel 17 ; 12 , 2Samuel  3 ; 6 ) .

The First Book of Samuel 17 ; 12  , Where It States , And I Quote ;  Now David was the son of that Ephrathite of Bethlehem -judah , whose name was Jesse ; and he had eight sons and the man went among men for an Old man in the Days  of Saul .

The Second  Book of Samuel 3;6 , Where It States , And I Quote ;  And it , came to pass , while there was war between the house of Saul and the house of David , that Abner made himself strong for the house of Saul .

One doesn't go to school let His / her's mind to die , They go to school so that their mind will come alive .

Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Al Saadiqeen21 Al Saadiqeen21 wrote:

Daauwd / Daawiyd / David ,

The Holy Qur'aan 2 ; 249 -252 , Revealed In The Year 624 - 626 A.D. Al Baqarah ( The Heifer ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; So when Sha'uwl left with the soldiers , he said ; ''Surely , Allah will test you ( by your faith by guiding ) you to a Nahr 'River' , and whoever drinks from it , he is not of Me and he who does not taste it ( the river ) , surely he is if Me . Except for him who sips a handful belongs to Me ; but with the exception of a few ( of the soldiers ) , they drank of it ( the river ) . So when ( Sha'uwl ) had crossed it , he and those who were faithful with him ( to him - The Source ) , they said ; ''We don't have any power today against Golyath ( the Giant ) and his armies ( soldiers ) , Those who think ( the right way ) ; which is that , they will meet their 'Master ' , who is Rabb said ; ''How often has The Source , Allah let a small Fi-atan 'Band ( Of Enosites ) conquer a numerous Fi-atan 'Band ( Of Enosites ) by Allah's permission ? And The Source , Allah is with Al Saabiriyn ''Those Who Are Patient .

( 250 ) . And when they left to go to fight Golyath , ( the 9 foot giant ) and his army , ( the Ghibboreem Philistines ; the Children of Jacob ) said ; ''Our Rabb! Pour down upon us patience and aid us to stand firm on our feet ( against them ) , and Ansurnaa 'Aid Us against this kindred ( the Philistines ) . They are of those who conceal what they know are facts .

( 251 ) . So they ( the Israelites ) by the permission of The Source , Allah defeated and made them ( the Philistines ) run away and Dawiyd killed Golyath of Gath , ( the son of Golyath and Orpah the 9 foot giant ) , and Allah Aataahu 'Gave Him ( Dawiyd ) Al Mulk 'The Rulership and Hikma 'Wisdom' ( to rule it ) , and Allamahu 'Taught Him Allah's will ; and if The Source did not inspire some of the Mortals over others ( of the Naas ) , the whole planet Tiamat , Al Ard 'Earth would be in mischief ; but The Source , Allah is the possessor of all grace over all the Known Worlds .

( 252 ) . These are the signs of The Source; We the Heavenly Host recite them to you , ( Muhammad ) as facts ( beyond any doubt ) ; and surely , you are one of the Mursaliyn ''One Sent . < Dawiyd's Victory Over Golyath , The Giant

The Holy Qur'aan 4;163  , Revealed In The Year 625 - 627 A.D. Al Nisaa  ( The Mortal Women ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; Surely , We the Heavenly Host , Awhaynaa 'Gave Inspiration to you ( Muhammaf ) , just as We Awhaynaa 'Gave Inspiration to Noach , and Al Nabiyyiin ''The Newsbearers , Males Of Prophecy , who came after him , and We the Heavenly Host Awhaynaa 'Gave Inspiration 'To Abrawhawm , and Yishmael , and Yitschaq , and Ya'aqob , and Al Isbaat 'The Tribes ( of Ishmaelites , Israelites Midianites , ) and Isa , and Yowb , and Yonah , and Aharown , and Shelomoh , and We , ( the Heavenly Host ) Ataynaa 'Gave 'Dawiyd , the Zubuwraan 'Psalms . ( Awsawf / Asaph , son of Berekyah / Berachiah , wrote the Psalms with Dawiyd ) .

The Holy Qur'aan 5;78 , Revealed In The Year 627 - 629 A.D. Maaidah  ( The Table Of Food  ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; Cursed are those who conceal what they know to ne the facts , from amongst the Children Of Israel ; ( ten tribes other than Dan and Judah ) , by the very tongue of Dawiyd ( Syriac , Aramic ) And Yashu'a ( Hebrew , Aramic Syriac ) , the Ibn 'Adopted Son of Miriam ; that was because they disobeyed - ( mixed with certain Canaanites )  , and were transgrrssors ( they started worshipping the deity 'Baal ) ,

The Holy Qur'aan 6;84 , Revealed In The Year 627  A.D. Al Anaam   ( The Cattle   ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; And We Heavely Host , Wahabnaa Gave on him ( Abrawhawm ) , Yitschaq and Ya'aqob / Yisrawale ; We Heavely Host ,calmed each of them , and We Heavely Host ,also calmed Noah before them and of his offspring ; Dawiyd and Shelomoh and Yowb and Yosafe and Mosheh and Aharown , and thus We Heavely Host ,rewarded the ones who does that which is best .

The Holy Qur'aan 17;55 , Revealed In The Year 618  A.D. Banee Israa'iyl ( Children Of Yisrawale / Jacobites ) Or Al Isra The Night Journey ) , Where It States , And I Quote ; And ( Muhammad ) , your Rabb knows who is in Al Sammaawaati 'The Skies ' ( which beings live in the skies ) and The Planet Earth and indeed We Heavenly Host Fadal 'Preferred some of Al Nabiy-yina 'The Newsbearers - ( the major prophets . 1. Adam , 2 . Adafa , 3. Noach , 4 . Abrawhawm , 5 . Yitskhwq , 6 . Yishmawale , 7 . Luqman , 8 . Mosheh , 9 . Isa , 10 . Muhammad over some others - ( the minor newdbearers likes ; 1. Seth , 2 . Ya'aqob , 3 . Daniye'l , 4 . Yesha'yah , 5 . Yirmeyah , 6 . Yahyaa and We Heavenly Host gave Dawiyd the Zabuwr 'Psalms .

The Holy Qur'aan 21;78  , Revealed In The Year 616 - 617  A.D. Al Anbiyaa ( The Newsbearers  , Where It States , And I Quote ; And Dawiyd and Shelomoh , when they give wisdom in ( the matter concerning ) the field , when The Kindreds sheep had strayed and browsed in it , ( by the Shadow Hour Period ) and We Heavenly Host were Shaahidiyn 'Watchers ' to their wisdom ( judgement ) .

The Holy Qur'aan 27 ; 15  , Revealed In The Year 617 - 618  A.D. Al Nami  ( The Ants )   , Where It States , And I Quote ; And indeed We Heavely Host Aatay 'Gave Dawiyd and Shelomoh 'Ilmaan Knowledge , and they said ; Al Hamdu All Gratitude is The Source , Allah's who preferred us over many of His faithful slaves .

Daauwd [ 1107 -1007 B.E.C. ] or David , Which comes from the Aramic / Hebrew word Daawiyd means ''Beloved , Loving . '' He was the second King of Israel , ( Ruth 4 ; 17 ) And the father of King Solomon [ 1024 -967 B.C.E. ] ( 2Samuels 5 ; 15 ) .

The Book of Ruth 4;17 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And the women her Neigbors gave it a name , saying . There is a son born to Naomi ; and they calledd his name Obed ; he is the Father of Jesse , the father of David .

The Second Book of Samuel 5 ; 14 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And These be the names of those that were born unto him in Jerusalem ; Shammuah , and Shobah , and Nathan and Solomon .

David was the youngest son of Jesse ( Ruth 4 ; 22 ) and Hilmah . He was from Bethlehem ,  and a mere Shepherd Boy ,

The Book of Ruth 4; 22 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And Obed begat Jesse , and Jesse begat David

When he confronted The Philistine Warrior , Giant name Goliath of Gath , Or Jaliyt Min Jat , ( 1Samuels 17 ; 4 ) .

The First Book of Samuel 17 ; 4 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And there went out a champion out of the Camp of the Philistines  name Goliath of Gath whose height was Six Cubits and a spac .

Also refer to The First Book of Samuel Chapter 17 . Click here: 1Samuel 17 :: Arabic/English Online Bible

Not only was He A Warrior , But also A Musician , A Singer of Songs , A Poet , And a very Wise Man . In his youth , David was simple ,Modest , And Obedient . It was these qualities that made David King , Over King Saul .

The First Book of Samuel 9;2 , Where It States , And I Quote ; And he had a son , whose name was Saul , a choice young man , and a Goodly and there was not among the Children of Israel a goodier Person than he from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the People .

After Saul was killed by The Philistines , The Prophet David was Anointed King of Judah ; He then moved The Ark Of The Covenant , Which housed The Laws Of Moses , To Jerusalem . The Laws that were estblished by David United The Israelite State and Empire which endured for a span of Four Centuries ( 1Samuel 17 ; 12 , 2Samuel  3 ; 6 ) .

The First Book of Samuel 17 ; 12  , Where It States , And I Quote ;  Now David was the son of that Ephrathite of Bethlehem -judah , whose name was Jesse ; and he had eight sons and the man went among men for an Old man in the Days  of Saul .

The Second  Book of Samuel 3;6 , Where It States , And I Quote ;  And it , came to pass , while there was war between the house of Saul and the house of David , that Abner made himself strong for the house of Saul .

islamispeace < No-reply I see Hummmm Couldn't copy and paste a answer this time LOLLOL
One doesn't go to school let His / her's mind to die , They go to school so that their mind will come alive .

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 10:35am
LOL What is there to reply to?  All you did was copy and paste a bunch of Biblical verses.  Any simpleton can do that! 

Did you read my article?  It catalogs the errors and contradictions in the Biblical story of David.  Do you have a reasonable response for once?  Or will you just keeping running around like a chicken with its head cut-off? 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

LOL What is there to reply to?  All you did was copy and paste a bunch of Biblical verses.  Any simpleton can do that! 

Did you read my article?  It catalogs the errors and contradictions in the Biblical story of David.  Do you have a reasonable response for once?  Or will you just keeping running around like a chicken with its head cut-off? 

So according to you the quraan also have  errors and contradictions ok

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 9:18pm
Salaam Alaikum.

As you pointed out in your article, the Bible does contain some contradictions in its accounts of David.

The Quran may not contain contradiction on this story, but it does contain a historical error.

One of the things that the Quran claims that God taught David to make, was coats of mail, from iron.

34:10,11

And We certainly gave David from Us bounty. [We said], "O mountains, repeat [Our] praises with him, and the birds [as well]." And We made pliable for him iron,
[Commanding him], "Make full coats of mail and calculate [precisely] the links, and work [all of you] righteousness. Indeed I, of what you do, am Seeing."

However, the type of mail armour the Quran describes was not invented until between the 3rd and 4th century BC. Its inventors were not Israelites, but Celts. It was not invented in the middle east, but in Europe.

The Romans learned about this, and then began making their own chain mail. They spread it to the middle east around the first century AD.

Mail was originally thought to have originated in the Celtic regions of Europe around the beginning of the 4th century BC. This was confirmed by Roman authors who also believed that the Celts invented mail. Strabo refers to mail as Gallic, and Varro suggests that the Romans adopted it from the Gauls [de Lingua Latina, V, 24, 116].10 One of the earliest examples was found at Ciumesti in modern Romania. The wire used to make the links was between 0.8mm and 1.8mm thick and each link had an outside diameter (O.D.) between 8.5mm and 9.2mm (corrosion is likely to have distorted these figures).11 However, the Ciumesti find has recently been re-dated to the 3rd century BC and is no longer the oldest example.12 A find from a burial of Horny Jatov in Slovakia has been dated to the first half of the 3rd century BC, which makes it earlier than Ciumesti and currently the earliest confirmed example of mail armour. An earlier example was allegedly found at the Hjortspring boat bog sacrifice and dated to the 4th century BC, but later work suggests that the find was not armour at all but natural deposits of iron that form around plant roots in bogs.13 The earliest Celtic example of mail was found at Vielle-Tursan in Aubagnan has been dated to the beginning of the 2nd century BC. A find at Tiefenau, Switzerland, is another 2nd century example of Celtic mail.14 Celtic statues found in Southern France are also likely to depict mailed warriors and date slightly earlier, to the end of the 3rd century BC.

There are mentions of "mail" in texts dating even earlier, but most of them can be discredited as inaccurate translations. As already discussed, "mail" was commonly used by Victorian scholars to describe many types of metal armour, including scale and plate. One well-known example is the Biblical description of Goliath wearing a coat of mail weighing 5,000 shekels of bronze [Samuel, 17.5-6]. The use of the word in this instance was not meant to be specifically referring to "true" (4-in-1) mail but as a general term to describe armour�in this case, bronze scale armour. Another example is the use of the word "mail" by Austen Henry Layard to describe the Assyrian armour he found at Nineveh. However, he later identifies the armour in more detail and confirms that he is describing scale armour, not mail:

The Arabs employed in removing the rubbish from the chamber with the kneeling winged figures, discovered a quantity of iron, in which I soon recognized the scales of the armour represented on the sculptures. These scales were from two to three inches in length, rounded at one end, and square at the other, with a raised or embossed line in the centre, and had probably been fastened to a vest of linen or felt.15

When the inaccurate translations are discounted, there is still one plausible reference dating back to the time of King David (10th century BC). According to Niese16, in Antiquities of the Jews, Josephus recounts an incident in which David is confronted by a Philistine wearing a th�raka halusid�ton [5.7.299], which Liddell and Scott16a translate as "armour wrought in chain fashion." At first glance this seems to be a credible source, but it should be remembered that Josephus was writing around nine hundred years after the event in question. It is likely that the oral tradition upon which his work ultimately relied would have changed during those intervening nine centuries. It is also possible that he confused armour worn during his own time with that worn during the time of David. He may even have done this deliberately in order to make his work more accessible to his Gentile audience. Without some supporting evidence, it is impossible to determine whether mail was in use that early. The physical evidence only dates to the 3rd century BC.

Given the available evidence it seems that mail first originated in central Europe in the 3rd century BC and was quickly adopted first by the Celts and then the Romans. Since mail would have been very expensive to make, it is likely that its early use was restricted to the aristocracy�even in Rome. Bishop and Coulston wrote that "before the 1st century BC body armour was very closely linked with social status and wealth."16b

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_mail.php

The Assyrians in the 8th century BC did have armour that is called mail by some, but it was comprised of metal plates that were sewn on to the tunics of the warriors.

The Assyrian i-rr-rro-ro&~qs was not, however,
the ultimate weapon. Despite his superior
mobility the unprotected rider was still vulnerable to attack from
infantry archers.

Moreover, in encounters with other mounted archers-e.g.
in the nomadic armies-the Assyrians would
not enjoy any advantage.
Thus, to protect their mounted archers and to maintain
tactical superiority the Assyrians introduced and gradually developed cavalry armour.

Evidence of this innovation is found first in the sculptures of Tiglath-Pileser I11(745-727) from Nimrud, which depict a rider wearing a mail shirt constructed of metal plates sewn on to a tunic (pl. IX, I)

http://www.themailresearchsociety.erikds.com/pdf/tmrs_pdf_15.pdf

In contrast, 34:11 makes it clear that the coat of mail was comprised of iron links that were joined together.

As tafsirs by Ibn Qathir and Yusuf Ali show, what the Quran's author is describing is chain mail, comprised of iron chain links which were made to fit each other, to make a coat.

10.  We bestowed Grace aforetime on David from Ourselves:

C3799. Cf. 21:79-80, and notes 2733-34.

David had the gift of song and sacred music, and this is shown in his Psalms.

All nature-hills and birds-sing and echo back the Praises of Allah.

... يَا جِبَالُ أَوِّبِي مَعَهُ وَالطَّيْرَ... 

"O ye Mountains! sing ye back the Praises of Allah with him!

and ye birds (also)!

... وَأَلَنَّا لَهُ الْحَدِيدَ ﴿١٠﴾

and We made the iron soft for Him --

C3800. Iron or steel is hard stuff: but in the hands of a craftsman it becomes soft and pliable, and with it can be made instruments for the defence of righteousness.

These, in the literal sense, are coats of mail, and defensive armour, and the manufacture of them is traditionally attributed to David. (R).

أَنِ اعْمَلْ سَابِغَاتٍ وَقَدِّرْ فِي السَّرْدِ...  

11.  (Commanding),

"Make thou coats of mail, balancing well the rings of chain armor,

C3801. Coats of chain armour have to be made with cunning art, if the chains are to fit into each other and the whole garment is to be worn in comfort in fierce warfare.

http://www.quran4u.com/Tafsiraya/034saba.htm

Tafsir Ibn Qathir

And We made the iron soft for him. Al-Hلasan Al-Basلri, Qata0dah, Al-A mash and others said, He did not need to heat it in the fire or beat it with a hammer؛ he could simply twist it in his hands, like a thread. Alla0h said:

﴿أَنِ اعْمَلْ سَـبِغَـتٍ﴾

Saying: Make you perfect coats of mail... , which means chain mail. Qata0dah said, He was the first person ever to make chain mail؛ before that, they used to wear plated armor.

﴿وَقَدِّرْ فِى السَّرْدِ﴾

(and balance well the rings of chain armor ﴿Sard﴾,) This is how Allah taught His Prophet Dawud, peace be upon him, to make coats of mail. Mujahid said concerning the Ayah:

(and balance well the rings of chain armor ﴿Sard﴾,) "Do not make the rivets too loose that the rings (of chain mail) will shake, or make them too tight that they will not be able to move at all, but make it just right.'' `Ali bin Abi Talhah reported that `Ibn `Abbas said, "Sard refers to a ring of iron.'' Some of them said, "Chain mail is called Masrud if it is held together with rivets.''

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1892&Itemid=90

Tafsir Al Jalalayn

And verily We bestowed on David a [great] favour from Us � prophethood and scripture � and We said: �O mountains, repeat with him [in praise], by making glorifications, and the birds [too]!� (read wa�l-tayra in the accusative as a supplement to the [syntactical] locus of jibāl, �mountains�, in other words, and We also called on them to glorify [God] with him). And We made iron malleable for him, so that it was as dough in his hands.

And We said: �Fashion, from it, long coats of mail � complete suits of armour which the person wearing it drags behind him along the ground � and measure [well] the links�, that is, in the weaving of the coats (the maker of these is called sarrād). In other words, make them so that the rings thereof are arranged properly. And act, O family of David, together with him, righteously. Indeed I am Seer of what you do, and will requite you for it accordingly.

http://altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=74&tSoraNo=34&tAyahNo=11&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2

The Quran claims that God taught David to make chain mail. However, the fact is that this technology was not invented until some 700 years after his death.

Edited by TG12345 - 04 June 2014 at 8:51pm
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Originally posted by Al Saadiqeen21 Al Saadiqeen21 wrote:

So according to you the quraan also have  errors and contradictions ok

Islamispeace did not say that the Quran has errors and contradictions. You are misquoting him.

The Quran does indeed contain some mistakes, like its statement that God taught David to make coats of mail from iron. 

However, Islamispeace has not said such a thing.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Salaam Alaikum.

As you pointed out in your article, the Bible does contain some contradictions in its accounts of David.

The Quran may not contain contradiction on this story, but it does contain a historical error.

One of the things that the Quran claims that God taught David to make, was coats of mail, from iron.

34:10,11

And We certainly gave David from Us bounty. [We said], "O mountains, repeat [Our] praises with him, and the birds [as well]." And We made pliable for him iron,
[Commanding him], "Make full coats of mail and calculate [precisely] the links, and work [all of you] righteousness. Indeed I, of what you do, am Seeing."

However, the type of mail armour the Quran describes was not invented until between the 3rd and 4th century BC. Its inventors were not Israelites, but Celts. It was not invented in the middle east, but in Europe.

The Romans learned about this, and then began making their own chain mail. They spread it to the middle east around the first century AD.

Mail was originally thought to have originated in the Celtic regions of Europe around the beginning of the 4th century BC. This was confirmed by Roman authors who also believed that the Celts invented mail. Strabo refers to mail as Gallic, and Varro suggests that the Romans adopted it from the Gauls [de Lingua Latina, V, 24, 116].10 One of the earliest examples was found at Ciumesti in modern Romania. The wire used to make the links was between 0.8mm and 1.8mm thick and each link had an outside diameter (O.D.) between 8.5mm and 9.2mm (corrosion is likely to have distorted these figures).11 However, the Ciumesti find has recently been re-dated to the 3rd century BC and is no longer the oldest example.12 A find from a burial of Horny Jatov in Slovakia has been dated to the first half of the 3rd century BC, which makes it earlier than Ciumesti and currently the earliest confirmed example of mail armour. An earlier example was allegedly found at the Hjortspring boat bog sacrifice and dated to the 4th century BC, but later work suggests that the find was not armour at all but natural deposits of iron that form around plant roots in bogs.13 The earliest Celtic example of mail was found at Vielle-Tursan in Aubagnan has been dated to the beginning of the 2nd century BC. A find at Tiefenau, Switzerland, is another 2nd century example of Celtic mail.14 Celtic statues found in Southern France are also likely to depict mailed warriors and date slightly earlier, to the end of the 3rd century BC.

There are mentions of "mail" in texts dating even earlier, but most of them can be discredited as inaccurate translations. As already discussed, "mail" was commonly used by Victorian scholars to describe many types of metal armour, including scale and plate. One well-known example is the Biblical description of Goliath wearing a coat of mail weighing 5,000 shekels of bronze [Samuel, 17.5-6]. The use of the word in this instance was not meant to be specifically referring to "true" (4-in-1) mail but as a general term to describe armour�in this case, bronze scale armour. Another example is the use of the word "mail" by Austen Henry Layard to describe the Assyrian armour he found at Nineveh. However, he later identifies the armour in more detail and confirms that he is describing scale armour, not mail:

The Arabs employed in removing the rubbish from the chamber with the kneeling winged figures, discovered a quantity of iron, in which I soon recognized the scales of the armour represented on the sculptures. These scales were from two to three inches in length, rounded at one end, and square at the other, with a raised or embossed line in the centre, and had probably been fastened to a vest of linen or felt.15

When the inaccurate translations are discounted, there is still one plausible reference dating back to the time of King David (10th century BC). According to Niese16, in Antiquities of the Jews, Josephus recounts an incident in which David is confronted by a Philistine wearing a th�raka halusid�ton [5.7.299], which Liddell and Scott16a translate as "armour wrought in chain fashion." At first glance this seems to be a credible source, but it should be remembered that Josephus was writing around nine hundred years after the event in question. It is likely that the oral tradition upon which his work ultimately relied would have changed during those intervening nine centuries. It is also possible that he confused armour worn during his own time with that worn during the time of David. He may even have done this deliberately in order to make his work more accessible to his Gentile audience. Without some supporting evidence, it is impossible to determine whether mail was in use that early. The physical evidence only dates to the 3rd century BC.

Given the available evidence it seems that mail first originated in central Europe in the 3rd century BC and was quickly adopted first by the Celts and then the Romans. Since mail would have been very expensive to make, it is likely that its early use was restricted to the aristocracy�even in Rome. Bishop and Coulston wrote that "before the 1st century BC body armour was very closely linked with social status and wealth."16b

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_mail.php

The Assyrians in the 8th century BC did have armour that is called mail by some, but it was comprised of metal plates that were sewn on to the tunics of the warriors.

The Assyrian i-rr-rro-ro&~qs was not, however,
the ultimate weapon. Despite his superior
mobility the unprotected rider was still vulnerable to attack from
infantry archers.

Moreover, in encounters with other mounted archers-e.g.
in the nomadic armies-the Assyrians would
not enjoy any advantage.
Thus, to protect their mounted archers and to maintain
tactical superiority the Assyrians introduced and gradually developed cavalry armour.

Evidence of this innovation is found first in the sculptures of Tiglath-Pileser I11(745-727) from Nimrud, which depict a rider wearing a mail shirt constructed of metal plates sewn on to a tunic (pl. IX, I)

http://www.themailresearchsociety.erikds.com/pdf/tmrs_pdf_15.pdf

In contrast, 34:11 makes it clear that the coat of mail was comprised of iron links that were joined together.

As tafsirs by Ibn Qathir and Yusuf Ali show, what the Quran's author is describing is chain mail, comprised of iron chain links which were made to fit each other, to make a coat.

10.  We bestowed Grace aforetime on David from Ourselves:

C3799. Cf. 21:79-80, and notes 2733-34.

David had the gift of song and sacred music, and this is shown in his Psalms.

All nature-hills and birds-sing and echo back the Praises of Allah.

... يَا جِبَالُ أَوِّبِي مَعَهُ وَالطَّيْرَ... 

"O ye Mountains! sing ye back the Praises of Allah with him!

and ye birds (also)!

... وَأَلَنَّا لَهُ الْحَدِيدَ ﴿١٠﴾

and We made the iron soft for Him --

C3800. Iron or steel is hard stuff: but in the hands of a craftsman it becomes soft and pliable, and with it can be made instruments for the defence of righteousness.

These, in the literal sense, are coats of mail, and defensive armour, and the manufacture of them is traditionally attributed to David. (R).

أَنِ اعْمَلْ سَابِغَاتٍ وَقَدِّرْ فِي السَّرْدِ...  

11.  (Commanding),

"Make thou coats of mail, balancing well the rings of chain armor,

C3801. Coats of chain armour have to be made with cunning art, if the chains are to fit into each other and the whole garment is to be worn in comfort in fierce warfare.

http://www.quran4u.com/Tafsiraya/034saba.htm

Tafsir Ibn Qathir

And We made the iron soft for him. Al-Hلasan Al-Basلri, Qata0dah, Al-A mash and others said, He did not need to heat it in the fire or beat it with a hammer؛ he could simply twist it in his hands, like a thread. Alla0h said:

﴿أَنِ اعْمَلْ سَـبِغَـتٍ﴾

Saying: Make you perfect coats of mail... , which means chain mail. Qata0dah said, He was the first person ever to make chain mail؛ before that, they used to wear plated armor.

(and balance well the rings of chain armor ﴿Sard﴾,) This is how Allah taught His Prophet Dawud, peace be upon him, to make coats of mail. Mujahid said concerning the Ayah:

(and balance well the rings of chain armor ﴿Sard﴾,) "Do not make the rivets too loose that the rings (of chain mail) will shake, or make them too tight that they will not be able to move at all, but make it just right.'' `Ali bin Abi Talhah reported that `Ibn `Abbas said, "Sard refers to a ring of iron.'' Some of them said, "Chain mail is called Masrud if it is held together with rivets.''

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1892&Itemid=90

Tafsir Al Jalalayn

And verily We bestowed on David a [great] favour from Us � prophethood and scripture � and We said: �O mountains, repeat with him [in praise], by making glorifications, and the birds [too]!� (read wa�l-tayra in the accusative as a supplement to the [syntactical] locus of jibāl, �mountains�, in other words, and We also called on them to glorify [God] with him). And We made iron malleable for him, so that it was as dough in his hands.

And We said: �Fashion, from it, long coats of mail � complete suits of armour which the person wearing it drags behind him along the ground � and measure [well] the links�, that is, in the weaving of the coats (the maker of these is called sarrād). In other words, make them so that the rings thereof are arranged properly. And act, O family of David, together with him, righteously. Indeed I am Seer of what you do, and will requite you for it accordingly.

http://altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=74&tSoraNo=34&tAyahNo=11&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2

The Quran claims that God taught David to make chain mail. However, the fact is that this technology was not invented until some 700 years after his death.

Just because there is "no evidence" of iron mail from the time of David does not mean it was not in use.  The only extant evidence outside of the Quran or the Bible we have that David (peace be upon him) even existed is a small pottery shard which says "House of David" on it, though recently, an Israeli archaeologist claimed that she had found David's "palace".  However, there is still debate going on about that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/international/middleeast/05jerusalem.html?pagewanted=all

So clearly, extant evidence of David's kingdom is spotty at best, but scholars still acknowledge that it did exist.  So, it should be no surprise if there aren't any extant examples of iron mail used in the time of David. 

What we do know is that the Iron Age began around 1300 BC, almost 300 years before David.  In addition, according to author Terence Wise:

"Iron tools and weapons had been in Egypt and Mesopotamia since at least 2700 B.C....but such items were costly and difficult to produce in quantity.  However, sometime around 1400 B.C. the Hittites, or a vassal tribe within their empire, discovered a process for producing good quality iron in bulk.  The process was kept secret by the Hittites, enabling them to gain an immense advantage over their enemies, who were still using bronze weapons." ("Ancient Armies of the Middle East", p.24)

So if iron was in use as early as 1400 B.C., it is not at all impossible that David's kingdom also gained access to that technology.  Furthermore, the Quranic verse makes it clear that it was God who revealed that knowledge to David, and if God wanted to do that, He certainly could.  That is not a "historical error".  In contrast, claiming that the kingdom had over 1 million fighting men, as the Bible does, is an actual historical error since an ancient nation with an army that size would have been larger than most modern armies!  Even the most powerful nations of the time, like the Egyptians and the Hittites, could only manage to muster several thousand men at most in their armies, as both did in the Battle of Kadesh (http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/battleswarsto1000/p/Ancient-Egypt-Battle-Of-Kadesh.htm).

Edited by islamispeace - 12 June 2014 at 8:36pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic