IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yusuf Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yusuf Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamhussain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yusuf Islam
    Posted: 28 March 2005 at 2:47pm

http://www.mobile786.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

what do peaople think of Yusuf Islam.... I was listening to an internview with him on bbc radio and was kinda unsure with the fact that he is returning to pop music... have a listen to the interview.

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 3:26pm

Salam,

In my view, nothing wrong with music as long as the lyric if any is OK and used for a good mission. If we think clearly, music is the west's religion. If you want to touch the west heart, so music is very powerful media.

Allah/God know best.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 3:35am

Yes, I agree with Semar on this.  It was music that started me on the road to Islam!  It can be a very powerful message.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
islamhussain View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamhussain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 10:39am

Thanks for getting back to me, I really am still un sure about it.... I was brought up with elders saying that music is very bad, and now everyone is fine...... should we not indulge in doubtful matters, as they will evetually lead us astray....

did anyone listen to the interview

http://www.mobile786.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 11:03am

Assalamu alaikum,

Insha'Allah read the fatwa at the link below:

http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00002024.aspx

Yusuf
islamhussain View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamhussain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 1:05pm

that was an interesting read - anybody else have any thoughts on this?

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 7:43pm

From the fatwa:
====
"This is also one of the main reasons for the prohibition of music, as it effects one�s emotions, creates arousal, passion and excitement, and also leads to various physiological changes in the person."

"It is also proved that music affects one�s emotions, increases arousal in terms of alertness and excitement and also leads to various psychological changes in the person. In a psychological experiment, it was found that listening to moderate type of music increased one�s normal heart beat, whilst listening to rock music the heart beat increased even further"
===

I totally agree with this. But I think music is just a tool, a "neutral tool" we can use for bad or evil. Music can make someone humble or arrogant, close to the creator or even further, bad excitement or good excitement and so on. Like a knife can be used to kill somebody or to help somebody. So it's not the music as a whole that must be prohibited but the type of music, the type of lyric etc. But "type" doesn't mean that rock is always bad, slow music always good. Probably the correct term is the "value" or "content" of the music. With similar analogy we can not prohibit a knife because can be used to kill somebody.

Allah knows best.

Edited by semar
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 8:30pm

salaamz,

lets hope that Br. Yusuf Islam, may Allaah reward him for his contributions, has done an in-depth and careful research on the subject and would not do something against Islaamic teachings or something that could harm Ummah

his not so old audio-project entitled "I Look, I See", mainly targeted for children, helps establish some basics of Islaam in adults, too. Months of islaamic calendar, respect towards parents (a very nice piece on Mother), unity... voices, percussions - all well packaged on a CD.

Perhaps it is not so much of a music... but communication tool. 

Must be careful though with definitive statements. Something we definetely do not need is for "progressive" groups to start advocating some Islamic Gospels in the mosques...

MOCKBA 

Edited by MOCKBA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic