IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Genealogy of Jesus in the Bible  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Genealogy of Jesus in the Bible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Lachi Lachi wrote:

There is evidence that many early Christians believed that Jesus was the son of normal parents, and the consistently early Hebrew belief is that Jesus was illegitimate.

So what do the genealogies say?
Matthew has "Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ." (Matthew 1:16).
Luke has "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli" (Luke 3:23)

Read that again - Joseph the husband of Mary, and Joseph the man believed to be Jesus' father. So two Josephs - Mary's husband and Mary's lover. Both descended from King David, but through different lines.

Could both accounts, therefore, be true?

This is simply speculation.  It's no different than when some Christians speculate that one genealogy is Joseph's while the other is Mary's.  There is no proof.  The simplest explanation is that were taken from contradictory sources which is why they contradict each other.  I don't think Luke would have wanted to suggest that the "son of God" was the product of an affair.  The problem is that people keep trying to reconcile the genealogies when there is no reason to do so.   

More importantly, throwing accusations against chaste women is a big deal.  If Mary had indeed committed adultery (astagfirAllah), she would have been stoned to death by a mob. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Lachi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 6:03pm
There is evidence that many early Christians believed that Jesus was the son of normal parents, and the consistently early Hebrew belief is that Jesus was illegitimate.

So what do the genealogies say?
Matthew has "Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ." (Matthew 1:16).
Luke has "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli" (Luke 3:23)

Read that again - Joseph the husband of Mary, and Joseph the man believed to be Jesus' father. So two Josephs - Mary's husband and Mary's lover. Both descended from King David, but through different lines.

Could both accounts, therefore, be true?
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Lachi Lachi wrote:

As you say, the early church knew of this contradiction and attempted to explain it away with Levirate marriages and son-by-inheritance scenarios.

Even the New Testament contains epistles attributed to Saint Paul (although most scholarship places the epistles in the mid 2nd Century AD)that might be aimed at detracting attention away from these genealogical impossibilities and discussions;

1st Epistle to Timothy, 1:3-7 -
As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

Epistle to Titus, 3:9-11 -
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

It is strange that such blatant contradiction found its way into the New Testament canon.

Good point.  Also remember that the gospels were written at different times and for different audiences.  Scholars agree that the Gospel of Matthew was written for a Jewish audience whereas the Gospel of Luke was written for a Gentile audience.  They were written independently of each and for different reasons.  Luke used Matthew as one of his sources and he changed whatever he felt needed to be changed.  That is why the genealogies contradict each other.  Later Christians then had to make excuses for the contradictions. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Lachi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2014 at 2:11pm
As you say, the early church knew of this contradiction and attempted to explain it away with Levirate marriages and son-by-inheritance scenarios.

Even the New Testament contains epistles attributed to Saint Paul (although most scholarship places the epistles in the mid 2nd Century AD)that might be aimed at detracting attention away from these genealogical impossibilities and discussions;

1st Epistle to Timothy, 1:3-7 -
As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

Epistle to Titus, 3:9-11 -
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

It is strange that such blatant contradiction found its way into the New Testament canon.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2014 at 9:03pm
In the newest article, I discuss the contradictory genealogies of Jesus as found in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke and why there is no way to reconcile the two.  An honest look at the genealogies will result in only one conclusion: they both cannot be right.  In fact, chances are that neither one is correct.

http://quranandbible.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-genealogy-of-jesus-in-bible.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic