IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - History of  some women in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History of some women in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of some women in Islam
    Posted: 27 March 2005 at 9:53pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

I wish to collect the stories of some islamic (female)personalites. Most importantly the Ummul Mo'mineen. If anyone has any portion of history to share, please feel free...
In the least, I hope this will be an enjoyable read for everyone, insha allah.

Maimoonah bint Harith (ra)

Abu Hurairah and 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas narrated that the original name of Maimoonah was Barah, and was changed by the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] sallallahu alayhi wa sallam. Her father was Harith bin Hazan, and he belonged to the tribe of Banu Hilal. Her mother's name was Hind bint 'Auf. Umm AlFadl Lubabah Kubra and Sughra, Asma' and 'Uzzah were her sisters. Umm AlFadl was married to 'Abbas bin 'Abdul Muttalib, and she had the honor of being the second lady to accept Islam after Khadijah. Sughra married Waleed bin Mughairah; whose son was Khalid bin Waleed one of the greatest Generals of Islam. Asma 'bint Harith married Ubay bin Khalaf and 'Uzzah married Ziyad bin 'Abdullah bin Malik. Asma' bint 'Omais, Salamah bint 'Omais and Salmah bint 'Omais were her sisters from her mother's side.

Asma' bint 'Omais was first married to Ja'far bin Abi Talib. She had three sons by him 'Abdullah, 'Awn and Muhammad. When he was martyred she married Abu Bakr Siddique. She bore him a son, Muhammad bin Abi Bakr. When Abu Bakr Siddique died, she married for the third time. Her third husband was 'Ali bin Abi Talib, and they had a son named Yahya. Salamah bint 'Omais married Hamzah bin'Abdul Muttalib. And her third sister Salima bint 'Omais married 'Abdullah bin Ka'b.

Thus Hind bint 'Auf had the unique distinction of being the only woman who was the mother-in-law of the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] Muhammad, the first Caliph Abu Bakr Siddique, Hamzah bin'Abdul Muttalib, 'Abbas bin'Abdul Muttalib, Ja'far bin Abi Talib and 'Ali bin Abi Talib.

One of her grandsons was'Abdullah bin 'Abbas, who was the greatest standard bearer of the Muslim army. He was a learned commentator on the Noble Qur'an and well versed in Hadith and Fiqh. Another grandson was the greatest General mentioned above, Sughra's son, Khalid bin Waleed. So, Maimoonah came from a very illustrious family of martyrs, warriors and intellectuals.

She was first married to Mas'ood bin 'Amr bin 'Omair Thaqafi, but they soon separated on grounds of incompatibility. Her second husband was Abu Riliam bin 'Abdul 'Uzzah 'Amri Quraishi. He died shortly after their marriage and Maimooniih was widowed at a very early age.

In the year 711, after hijra the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] went with his Companions to Makkah to perform 'Umrah. It is said that Maimoonah wished to marry him and become one of the honorable Mothers of the Believers. Soon this wish became an absorbing desire. She even mentioned it to her sisters.

She felt her tribe, Banu Hilal should also be connected to the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] in the same way that the other tribes like Banu Teem, Banu 'Adi, Banu Umayyah, Banu Makhzoom, Banu Asad and Banu Mustalaq were connected by marriage. UmAlfadl who was married to 'Abbas bin'Abdul Muttalib mentioned her sister's wish to her husband, saying that since he was the uncle and very highly respected by the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] if he requested him, her sister's wish could be fulfilled.

When 'Abbas spoke to the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] , he requested Ja'far bin Abi Talib to make the arrangements for the marriage. The Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] had finished his 'Umrah and was free, and Maimoonah was on a camel. When she saw him, she involuntarily exclaimed that the camel and its rider were bequeathed to Allah's Messenger. Thus, she gifted herself to the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] , and he accepted her very gracefully.

But a more popular tradition says that when he arrived in Makkah for his 'Umrah, he sent ja'far bin Abi TAlib with his proposal of marriage to Maimoonah. She asked her brother-in-law, 'Abbas bin 'Abdul Muttalib to handle matters. When the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] finished his 'Umrah, 'Abbas arranged the ceremony.

Allah said,

"O Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] ! Verily, We have made lawful to you your wives, to whom you have paid their Mahr, and those (slaves) whom your right hand possesses - whom Allah has given to you, and the daughters of your paternal uncles and the daughters of your paternal aunts and the daughters of your maternal uncles and the daughters of your maternal aunts who migrated with you, and a believing woman if she offers herself to the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] , and the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] wishes to marry her, a privilege for you only, not for the (rest oo the believers. Indeed We know what We have enjoined upon them about their wives and those whom their right hands possess, in order that there should be no difficulty on you. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (33:50)

After his 'Umrah the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] stayed in Makkah for three days. Then, on the fourth morning Hawaitab bin'Abdul 'Uzza came with some of the polytheists and told him that since he had finished his 'Umrah, he ought to leave, according to the terms of the Treaty of Hudaibah. The Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] requested that they be allowed to stay for a few more days, and he invited them to attend the dinner he had arranged to celebrate the marriage. Hawaitab answered that they were not interested in any dinner; they just wanted him to go.

The Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] left and pitched camp at a place called Saraf, about nine miles from Makkah, and here he celebrated the marriage. His slave, Abu Rafi' brought Maimoonah on a camel to Saraf. It was here that her name was changed from Barah to Mairnoonah. Both had completed the rites of 'Umrah; they changed, their garments of lhram and the marriage could take place according to Shari'ah.

Maimoonah was the last woman that Muhammad married. She was twenty-six years old at the time. When they reached Madinah an apartment, which was built next to the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] 's mosque, was given to her. The other wives of the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] it warmly welcomed her. She used to pray in the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] 's mosque because she heard him saying that one prayer in it was the equivalent to a thousand prayers in all other mosques, except in Masjid Haram at Makkah. One prayer in Masjid Haram was equal to a hundred thousand prayers in any other mosques.

One year several delegations came to Al-Madinah; one of them was from the tribe Banu Hilal. One of the members of this delegation was the son of the sister of Maimoonah , Ziyad bin 'Abdullah bin Ma1ik 'Amri. He visited his aunt in her apartment when the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] happened to be out on some task. When he came and saw a stranger seated with her he was nopleased. Maimoonah, sensitive as she was, sensed his displeasure and immediately introduced him as her sister's son and a member of the visiting delegation. He expressed his pleasure and prayed for Allah Almighty's blessings for him.

Maimoonah was valued highly for her traits like God-Fearing and nurturing good relations with all members of the family.

Maimoonah had an excellent memory, and knew by heart many of the Ahadith of Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] . The most Ahadith - two thousand two hundred and ten are attributed to 'Aishah. Next came Umm Salamah with three hundred and seventy-eight Ahadith. Next came Mainoonah seventy-six Ahaddith were attributed to her. 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas, 'Abdullah bin Shaddad, 'Obaid bin Sabaq, Yazid bin Asam, 'AbdurRahman Sa'ib Al-Hilali, 'Obaidullah Khauldni, Sulaiman bin Yasir and 'Ata' bin Yasar have quoted her. In Sahih Al-Bukhdri a Hadith is narrated from 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas and attributed to Maimoonah. Someone asked the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] regarding a mouse that had fallen into some clarified butter. He said the mouse and what surrounds it should be thrown out and the rest could be eaten.

Musnad Abu Ya'la, Muslim, Abu Dawood and Nisa'i have quoted another Hadith from Maimoonah This was narrated by the wife of 'Abdullah bin'Abbas.

One morning the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] t looked very worried and he seemed to be in the same mood in the evening. The next day the same mood continued . Maimoonah asked him what was troubling him. He said the Angel Jibril promised to come andvisithim,but he had not turned up. Such a thing never happened before. Then the family noticed there was a puppy sitting under a bed. He was chased out and that part of the floor was washed on the directions of the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam]. Soon after that the Angel Jibril came. Then the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] asked him why he had not come earlier as promised, and he said that this had never happened before. Then the Angel told him that angels do not enter places where there are dogs or pictures.

Maimoonah sometimes used to take loans. Once a member of her family remarked on this and asked her why she did this. She did not quite like this question and replied that the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] t used to say if a Muslim borrowed money and he sincerely believed that Aishah would help him to repay the loan, then Allah would surely arrange things in an unexpected manner.

'Aishah relates that the last fatal illness of the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] started while he was in the apartment of Maimoonah He asked permission of his other wives to spend those days in the apartment of 'Aishah. They all readily agreed. When he passed away he was pleased with all his wives. When his pure soul left his body he was in the apartment of his favourite wife 'Aishah is resting his head in her lap. And he was buried in his favourite place, her apartment. Nine of his wives were alive at the time. They were 'Aishah, Maimoonah, Safiyyah, Juwairiah, Saudah, Zainab, Ramlah, Hind, and Hafsah

It was during the caliphate of Mu'awiyah, in the year 51 after Hijrah, that Maimoonah died. She was in Makkah and she fell ill there. She was very restless and wanted to be taken some place else. Her relatives took her to Saraf, the same place where she had got married to the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] . After reaching the exact spot where she spent her wedding night, she passed away. 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas conducted the funeral prayers, and she was buried with great honor.

"O the one in (complete) rest and satisfaction! Come back to your Lord - well pleased and well pleasing. Enter you then among My (honored) servants, and enter you My Paradise." (89:30)

Edited by Full of Hopes - 02 August 2012 at 4:11pm
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 10:06pm

Umm Salamah: Mother of Believers

By Abdul Wahid Hamid

Umm Salamah! What an eventful life she had! Her real name was Hind. She was the daughter of one of the notables in the Makhzum clan nicknamed �Zad Ar-Rakib� (which means the provision for the traveler) because he was well known for his generosity, particularly to travelers. Umm Salamah�s husband was `Abdullah ibn `Abdul-Asad and they both were among the first people to accept Islam. Only Abu Bakr and a few others, who could be counted on the fingers of one hand, became Muslims before them.

As soon as the news of their becoming Muslims spread, the Quraysh reacted with frenzied anger. They began hounding and persecuting Umm Salamah and her husband. But the couple did not waver or despair and remained steadfast in their new faith.

The persecution became more and more intense. Life in Makkah became unbearable for many of the new Muslims. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) then gave permission for them to immigrate to Abyssinia. Umm Salamah and her husband were in the forefront of these seekers of refuge in a strange land. For Umm Salamah, it meant abandoning her home and giving up the traditional ties of lineage and honor for something new, pursuing the pleasure and reward of Allah.

Despite the protection Umm Salamah and her companions received from the Abyssinian ruler, the desire to return to Makkah, to be near the Prophet and the source of revelation and guidance, persisted.

News eventually reached the emigrants that the number of Muslims in Makkah had increased. Among them were Hamzah ibn `Abdul-Muttalib and `Umar ibn Al-Khattab. Their faith had greatly strengthened the community, and the Quraysh, they heard, had eased the persecution somewhat. Thus a group of the emigrants, urged on by a deep longing in their hearts, decided to return to Makkah.

The easing of the persecution was brief, as the returnees soon found out. The dramatic increase in the number of Muslims following the acceptance of Islam by Hamzah and `Umar had infuriated the Quraysh more than ever. They intensified their persecution and torture to a pitch and intensity not known before. So the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) gave permission to his Companions to immigrate to Madinah. Umm Salamah and her husband were among the first to leave.

The hijrah of Umm Salamah and her husband, though, was not as easy as they had imagined. In fact, it was a bitter and painful experience and a particularly harrowing one for her.

Let us leave the story now for Umm Salamah herself to tell:

When Abu Salamah (my husband) decided to leave for Madinah, he prepared a camel for me, hoisted me on it and placed our son Salamah on my lap. My husband then took the lead and went on without stopping or waiting for anything. Before we were out of Makkah, however, some men from my clan stopped us and said to my husband, �Though you are free to do what you like with yourself, you have no power over your wife. She is our daughter. Do you expect us to allow you to take her away from us?�

They then pounced on him and snatched me away from him. My husband�s clan, Banu `Abdul-Asad, saw them taking both my child and me. They became hot with rage.

�No! By Allah,� they shouted, �we shall not abandon the boy. He is our son and we have a first claim over him.�

They took him by the hand and pulled him away from me. Suddenly, in the space of a few moments, I found myself alone and lonely. My husband headed for Madinah by himself and his clan had snatched my son away from me. My own clan, Banu Makhzum, overpowered me and forced me to stay with them.

From the day when my husband and my son were separated from me, I went out at noon every day to that valley and sat at the spot where this tragedy had occurred. I would recall those terrible moments and weep until night fell on me.

I continued like this for a year or so, until one day a man from the Banu Umayyah passed by and saw my condition. He went back to my clan and said, �Why don�t you free this poor woman? You have caused her husband and her son to be taken away from her.�

He went on trying to soften their hearts and play on their emotions. At last they said to me, �Go and join your husband if you wish.�

But how could I join my husband in Madinah and leave my son, a piece of my own flesh and blood, in Makkah among the Banu `Abdul-Asad? How could I be free from anguish and my eyes be free from tears were I to reach the place of hijrah not knowing anything of my little son left behind in Makkah?

Some realized what I was going through and their hearts went out to me. They petitioned the Banu `Abdul-Asad on my behalf and moved them to return my son.

I did not now even want to linger in Makkah until I found someone to travel with me and I was afraid that something might happen that would delay or prevent me from reaching my husband. So I promptly got my camel ready, placed my son on my lap, and left in the direction of Madinah.

I had just about reached Tan�im (about three miles from Makkah) when I met Uthman ibn Talhah. (He was a keeper of the Ka`bah in pre-Islamic times and was not yet a Muslim.)

�Where are you going, daughter of Zad Ar-Rakib?� he asked.

�I am going to my husband in Madinah.�

�And there isn�t anyone with you?�

�No, by Allah. Except Allah and my little boy here.�

�By Allah, I shall never abandon you until you reach Madinah,� he vowed.

He then took the reins of my camel and led us on. I have, by Allah, never met an Arab more generous and noble than he. When we reached a resting place, he would make my camel kneel down, wait until I dismounted, lead the camel to a tree and tether it. He would then go to the shade of another tree. When we had rested, he would get the camel ready and lead us on.

This he did every day until we reached Madinah. When we got to a village near Quba� (about two miles from Madinah) belonging to the Banu `Amr ibn `Awf, he said, �Your husband is in this village. Enter it with the blessings of God.�

He turned back and headed for Makkah.

Their roads finally met after the long separation. Umm Salamah was overjoyed to see her husband and he was delighted to see his wife and son.

Great and momentous events followed one after the other. There was the battle of Badr, in which Abu Salamah fought. The Muslims returned victorious and strengthened. Then there was the battle of Uhud, in which the Muslims were sorely tested. Abu Salamah came out of this very badly wounded. He appeared at first to respond well to treatment, but his wounds never healed completely and he remained bedridden.

Once, while Umm Salamah was nursing him, he said to her, �I heard the Messenger of Allah saying whenever a calamity afflicts anyone he should say, �We belong to Allah and to Him shall we return; O Allah, with You I leave my plight for consideration, reward me for my affliction and give me something better than it in exchange for it.��

Abu Salamah remained sick in bed for several days and then he passed away. With his blessed hands, the Prophet closed the eyes of his dead Companion and invoked Allah to forgive Abu Salamah, raise his degree among those who are rightly guided, take charge of his descendants who remain, make his grave spacious, and grant him light in it.

Umm Salamah remembered the prayer her husband had quoted from the Prophet and began repeating it, �O Lord, with you I leave this my plight for consideration�.� But she could not bring herself to continue with �O Lord, give me something better than it in exchange for it.� She kept asking herself, �Who could be better than Abu Salamah?� But after a while she completed the supplication.

Umm Salamah did not know a person better than Abu Salamah. She was not aware that Allah spared for her the best ever person�the Prophet himself. He (peace and blessings be upon him) married her, and so it was that Allah answered the prayer of Umm Salamah and gave her better than Abu Salamah. From that day on, Hind Al-Makhzumiyah was no longer the mother of Salamah alone but became the Mother of All Believers (Umm Al-Mu�mineen).

[/COLOR]
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 4:17am

Thank you for these stories, sister Nausheen.  I hope you will be posting more.  It is so nice to be able to read about some of the early Muslimahs!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 6:27am

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

I am with the thread...

The Great Mothers
Ma'il Khairabadi

Mother of Hadrat Sulaiman(Suleyman)
(Upon him be peace and blessing)

GOOD ADVICE TO SON

The beloved Apostle of Allah (S.A.W.) said that the mother of prophet Sulaiman (upon him be peace) had tendered the following good advice to her son:

�My dear son! Spend not your whole night in sleep, because, passing the major part of night sleep deprives a man of many good and virtuous deeds on the day of resurrection. (Tradition). Hadrat Sulaiman (upon him be peace and blessings) firmly bore in mind this piece of advice from his mother, and never thereafter he slept for full night. He used to spend a part of night in prayers and adoration unto Allah.

When he came of age Allah conferred Apostleship on Hadrat Sulaiman (P.B.U.H.), and He bestowed on him great kingdom too. Allah made the Jinn's subservient to him and made the violent winds to blow tamely for him. Allah also taught him the language of birds and ants. Allah this was grace manifest from Allah. In whatever measure and on whomsoever He pleases, Allah showers His Bounties.

MOTHER OF HADRAT ZUBAIR (R.A) THE HARSHNESS OF THE MOTHER.

Hadrat Zubair (R.A.) was a beloved companion of the beloved Apostle of Allah (S.A.W.).

He was one amongst the ten blessed Companions to whom the Apostle of Allah gave good tidings, in their lifetime that they will be admitted to Paradise. Let us see how mother of this blessed and great Companion did bring him up. This account is immensely pleasing and palatable to read and draw lesson from, that if our mother or some elderly person in the house treats us harshly with the motive of reforming and mending our character, we should not take it amiss.

Hadrat Zubair (R.A) was yet a small lad when his father died. The orphan child was then under the care and training of his mother, Hadrat Safia (R.A). She extracted from him very difficult and arduous tasks. When people observed this child doing too difficult tasks, they used to tell Hadrat Safia (R.A):

"What are you up to, are you going to kill the child?"

She used to reply: "I am making him wise, fearless and brave."

And it indeed did so happen. When Hadrat Zubair (R.A) came of age he really turned out to be extremely brave. When he was hardly sixteen or seventeen years old he plunged himself into the arena for a wrestling bout. People tried much to dissuade him from encountering the big and mighty wrestler of repute, but he remained first in his resolve. As soon as the bout started, Hadrat Zubair struck such a blow to his opponent that he fell down with a heavy bang and broke his hand people brought the wrestler on their backs Hadrat Safia (R.A) and narrated the whole story Thereupon she said: "tell me the truth. How did you find my son, brave or coward?"

On other occasion, during the course of a battle between Muslims and the infields, in which the Holy Prophet (S.A.W) also had participated a famous as warrior climbed up the hillock and shouted: "Which Muslim can dare fight with me?" Infuriated at this challenge, Hadrat Zubair (R.A) leaped forward and grappled with him, Fight ensued between them. Somehow both fell down the hillock. Hadrat Safia (R.A) was also present and was standing by the side of the Holy Prophet. Seeing the two rolling down she was frightened and exclaimed: "O Apostle of Allah! My Child?"

Quiet Composed, the Prophet replied: "Fear not, Zubair will kill this wrestler."
And right enough it so happened. Hadrat Zubair (R.A) overpowered and killed him. This brave feat pleased the Muslims much.
Hadrat Saifa (R.A), herself, despite being a woman, was very brave and courageous. In the battle of Trench she killed a warrior and threw away his severed head into the enemy camp.
Hadrat Saifa (R.A) was the real aunt of the beloved Prophet.

HADRAT ASMA (R.A.) THE MOTHER OF HADRAT ABDULLAH BIN ZUBAIR (R.A.)

Hadrat Abdullah bin Zubair (R.A) was among the bravest persons of his times. He had pledged allegiance to our beloved Prophet (S.A.W.) when he was only seven years old. The name of his revered mother was Hadrat Asma (R.A) who was the daughter of Hadrat Abu Bakr (R.A.) and wife of Hadrat Zubair (R.A.). She was exceeding prudent and brave. She was so intelligent that the Prophet (S.A.W.) used to consult her. When the Prophet migrated from Makka to Madina, it was she who prepared the provisions for his journey. And when the beloved Prophet (S.A.W.) took shelter in the cave of Thaur for three days, it was again she who supplied him food for all the three days, without the Makkans ever coming to know of it.

How did this great lady train and bring up her child?
To have an idea about it we narrate below, in brief, some incidents from her life.

After the beloved Prophet (S.A.W.) had made Hijra to Madina, Hadrat Asma (R.A.) also went there after some time.
When the Muslims migrated to Madina, the climate there did not suit them in the beginning. Quite some time passed and no child was born in the migrant Muslim families. The mischief-mongering infidels made it out that there will be no issues born to Muslims, because the deities were annoyed with them, and had laid curse on them. Muslims had no belief in such concoctions, but in their inmost heart they were offering benediction unto Allah: �O Allah! Put and end to the falsehood of these infidels.�
When Hadrat Asma (R.A.) reached Madina, a child was born to her. It was the first baby to be born to a migrant woman. The new-born was named Abdullah. On the birth of Abdullah bin Zubair (R.A.) there was lot of rejoicing among the Muslims and the baby gave a lie to the canard that had been spread by the enemies of Islam. Hadrat Asma (R.A.) presented herself before the beloved Prophet (S.A.W.) with the new-born baby. He too was much pleased at the sight of the beautiful bonny baby. He took Hadrat Abdullah (R.A.) in his arms, gave the infant some medicine (to clear the meconium), caressed him fondly and prayed for his well being.

Hadrat Asma (R.A.) trained Hadrat Abdullah (R.A.) right from his childhood to be bold and intrepid. When he was four or five years old, the battle of the Trench was fought between the Muslims and the infidels. Hadrat Asma (R.A.) used to make her four or five year old child watch the action and how the battle proceeded. Thus even as a child, Hadrat Abdullah bin Zubair (R.A.) had the occasion to watch the proceedings of an actual battle. In his youth Abdullah bin Zubair (R.A.) turned out to be so brave that it was difficult to find his peer amongst his contemporaries. Hadrat Asma (R.A.) also used to continuously inspire him to rise to heights of glory. Hadrat Abdullah bin Zubair (R.A.) had to fight against the powerful Caliph Abdul Malik bin Marwan. In this battle, the army of Hadrat Abdullah (R.A.) was very small in size, yet he clashed boldly against a much larger army. On the occasion of this battle, when he consulted his mother, she advised him in the following morale-boosting words:
�My dear son! Understand this fact very well that if you are fighting for the cause of Allah and are siding with truth, then you must put a bold front. Go and fight as befits a brave man. Fear not for your life. Receive the wounds of the sword with dignified valour. It would be thousand times better than life of ease in ignominy. If you are martyred, it shall be my highest pleasure. And if you aspire for mundane wealth and power, and all your striving is to achieve it, then who could be a more wicked man than yourself? How long will you life on this earth? One day death will, of a certainty, come to you, so better it is that you breathe your last while you are on the path of virtue and piety.�

Hadrat Asma (R.A.) lived for pretty long time. Even in her old age she had retained much of her vigour and vitality. She was not afraid of even Hujjaj, who was the tyrant ruler of her time. People used to be amazed at the retorts she used to give to Hujjaj, the governor. Once when she was angry with him, she told him on his face:

�I have heard from the mouth of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) that two persons would be born in the clan of Thaqeef. Of the twain, the first would be worse than the second. So, already I have come across one liar (Mukhtar Thaqfee), and the other tyrant is yourself whom I am seeing now.�

HADRAT UMM SALEEM (R.A) THE MOTHER OF HADRAT ANAS BIN MALIK (R.A.)

Hadrat Anas (R.A.) was the renowned Companion of the beloved Prophet (S.A.W.). Right from his childhood he was in the service of the beloved Prophet. He was exceeding faithful and obedient. He was ever willing and enthusiastic to do any work assigned to his by the beloved Prophet. He used to listen to the talks by the Prophet very attentively and with keen interest. It was with Hadrat Anas only that the beloved Prophet had cut that palatable joke which is well known as �Do Kan Wale� (man with two ears). The beloved Prophet had addressed him once as �O! Do Kan Wale�, which in Arabic idiom means �obedient�. The delicacy about this joke is that it is a statement of fact that every man has to ears.

He is the same Anas (R.A.) whose mother�s name is Umm Saleem (R.A.), the renowned lady Companion of the Holy Prophet. To her credit she performed many good deeds in her life-time and rendered great services for the cause of Islam. Hadrat Anas (R.A.) used to say that he was deeply indebted to his mother because she gave him over to the service of the beloved Prophet. This act of hers provided him the grand opportunity to build up his character emulating the beloved Prophet. We give below some salient events relating to the bringing up and training of Hadrat Anas by his mother, Hadrat Umm Saleem.

Hadrat Umm Saleem was the resident of Madina. The name of her husband was Malik. Hadrat Umm Saleem had accepted Islam, but her husband, Malik, had not.

Hadrat Anas was yet a child when Hadrat Umm Saleem started teaching him the �Kalima e Shahadat� (the Muslim confession of Faith). When her husband, Malik, noticed that their child was being taught the �Kalime�, he was much annoyed and said:

�First you have forsaken the religion of your ancestors, and now you wish to make this child also irreligious!�
Hadrat Umm Saleem (R.A.) replied:
�He is of course an innocent and ignorant child, but what I really want is that you should convert yourself to Islam.�
Malik did not convert himself to Islam, and in this state he once went on a journey and was killed on the way. Now Umm Saleem (R.A.) was a widow. But since she was very prudent, brave and enjoyed radiant health, many people sent her proposals for marriage, but every proposal she declined saying that her child was still too young.           
When the beloved Prophet (S.A.W.) migrated from Makka to Madina, Hadrat Anas was ten years old. Umm Saleem (R.A.) was anxious to make Hadrat Anas a man of supreme moral excellence. She conceived the ideal than that she place her son at the exclusive service of the beloved Prophet. Accordingly she presented herself with Hadrat Anas before the Prophet and entreated him:

�O Apostle of Allah! I have brought up this child in great hardship. Now I wish you should take him under your care.�

The beloved Prophet acceded to her request. Hadrat Anas thus started living in the service of the beloved Prophet. He started acquiring knowledge of �Deen� (Religion). He keenly observed and remembered every act or saying of the beloved Prophet and meticulously followed in his foot-steps. With the result that Allah was so bountiful unto him that he was being reckoned amongst the great Companions of the Prophet. Many Traditions (sayings of the Prophet) are reported by him, which Muslims read and there from learn knowledge about Islam.

Hadrat Anas admits that if his mother, Umm Saleem (R.A.) had not made this arrangement for him, it would have been a great loss for him.

THE MOTHER OF IMAM RABIY�A (R.A.)

Imam Rabiy�a (R.A.) was great spiritual leader. He was the most erudite person amongst his contemporaries. He used to give religious lessons in the Masjid-e-Nabwi (the Pfophet�s Mosque in Madina). Many men of high learning used to attend his lectures. The young and old all respected him. How did he become such a great religious leader? The secret lies in that Allah had blessed him with a noble mother who ardently desired and also worked hard to see that her son should become proficient in not only learning but also in disseminating the knowledge of  �Deen� (Religion). She spent thirty thousand Ashrafis (gold coins) on the education and training of her son. The second contributory factor was the remarkable power of comprehension which Allah had bestowed on him. Imam Rabiy�a, on his part too had taken great pains to acquire knowledge.

The story of his childhood is very interesting. The name of the father of Imam Rabiy�a was Farrukh. He served in the army during the reign of Bani Umayyah. On one occasion Farrukh was sent on the warfront for a big battle. At that time Imam Rabiy�a was in the womb of his mother. Twenty seven years passed by and Farrukh could get no respite from the series of battles. During this period he could not even return home. Imam Rabiy�a was born during his long absence and grew up to be a highly learned man during this period.

Prior to going on the war front, Farrukh had given his wife thirty thousand Ashrafis (gold coins). That prudent and virtuous lady spent all those Ashrafis on her son�s education and training till he gained proficiency in knowledge of �Deen� (Religion). After twenty seven years when Imam Rabiya�s father, Farrukh,returned from war front he asked his wife about the Ashrafis, as to what use those had been put to. Thereupon, his wife replied: �They are all kept in safe custody.�

In the meanwhile, Imam Rabiy�a went to the mosque to deliver lecture on �Hadith� (Traditions). Farrukh�s wife requested him: �Please pay a visit to the mosque�. When Farrukh entered the mosque, he found, to his great surprise, his own son giving lecture on Traditions, and many scholars, much older in age, listening attentively along with a number of others. His joy knew no bounds. After returning home, in an outburst of joy and pride, he praised his son before his wife, and incessantly expressed his deep gratitude unto Allah for it.

His wife then asked: �Tell me now, whether thirty thousand Ashrafis are better or this bounty!� Farrukh promptly replied: �What is the worth of Ashrafis when compared with this blessing of Allah.� Then the lady revealed: �Those Ashrafis which you had left with me I have spent in the acquisition of this bounty.�

Pleased at her reply, he said: �By Allah! You have not wasted those Ashrafis. On the contrary you have utilized them for the most excellent purpose.�

THE MOTHER OF HADRAT SHAIKH ABDUL QADIR JEELANI (R.A.)

Hadrat Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jeelani was a great saint. People call him by the name of �Bade Peer Saheb� (great holy man) also. Only for earning the pleasure of Allah, Hadrat Abdul Qadir performed many great deeds. He eradicated many of the social evils which were rampant in his time. At that time many people had sprung up who were spreading various concoctions concerning and creating misunderstandings about Islam, and also about our beloved Prophet (S.A.W.) and his Companions. Hadrat Abdul Qadir put up a bold front against this avalanche of rumour-mongering until the mischief-makers were all silenced.

Hadrat Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jeelani was a man of outstanding virtue and learning, a great saint and sage. He used to deliver religious lectures which were highly powerful and effective. How did he turn out to be such a great scholar in the knowledge of �Deen� (religion)?

The answer to this question is that Allah had blessed him with an excellent noble mother. Right from his infancy she used to tender him sound and righteous advice. She used to inculcate in him fear of Allah as well as longing for reading the Quran and learning the Traditions of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.). She herself was the �Hafiz� of Quran (one who commits the whole Quran to memory). She used to recite the verses of the Quran while doing the household work. Thus listening to the Quran regularly right from childhood helped Shaikh Abdul Qadir memorise a major portion of the Quran.

Shaikh Abdul Qadir (R.A.) was still a child when his father died. His revered mother then brought him up. At the time of his death, his father had left behind eighty �Dinars� (gold coins) for his two sons. Their mother divided the Dinars in equal parts and separated the share of each brother. She got Hadrat Abdul Qadir admitted to a school in the town of Jilan itself, which was his native place. When he finished his studies in the school of Jilan, he expressed to his mother his desire to go to Baghdad for higher studies. Baghdad in those days was famous as a seat of high class learning.

In those days traveling was hazardous and unsafe. Unlike today, in those days there was neither rail or motor, nor any other mode of conveyance except camels or horses. There were dense jungles on the ways in which dacoits used to ambush and plunder the caravan of travellers. This was the dread which lurked in the mind of the travelers. But the mother of Hadrat Abdul Qadir summoned courage and prepared herself to send her dear son to the distant land, Baghdad, for pursuing further studies. She stitched the forty �Dinars� in his garment for safe keeping. This was his share in the inheritance of his father. While bidding farewell to him she in very strong words advised him never to tell a lie, even if speaking truth were to cost him dear.

Shaikh Abdul Qadir accompanied a caravan which was bound for Baghdad. On the way the caravan was waylaid by a gang of dacoits. Over powering the caravan the dacoits started looting those in the caravan. One dacoit asked him also if he had anything on his person. He replied �Yes, I have.� The dacoit took it as a joke and passed him over. But other dacoits too asked him and he frankly gave the same reply. This matter reached the ears of the leader of the dacoits. He made him to be brought before him and then himself asked him the question:

�How much amount do you have on your person?�
He replied: �I have forty �Dinars� with me.�
�where are they?�
�They are stitched in my garment.�

A search was promptly made and the money was recovered. �Oh! Why did you show it to us? If you had not shown to us we would not have come to know of it at all,� exclaimed the chief of the dacoits.

�My mother has bade me not to tell lies at any cost. I have promised to abide by her advice. I have but to honour the promise made to her,� was the reply from young Abdul Qudir.

When the leader of the dacoits heard this bold and truthful statement from the mouth of a young child, he was simply amazed and lowered his head in shame. He was absorbed in thought for quite some time. Then tears began to flow from his eyes, and wailing over his sorry state, he said: �Woe upon us! We made that memorable covenant with Allah that we shall follow His Commands, do righteous deeds and refrain from the reprehensible, but alas! We have now turned grey yet we have forgotten the covenant which we had made with Allah. And this child, who had made a covenant with his mother, remembers and honours it even in the face of such adversity. What is my worth as compared to this child?�

With these words he gave orders to return the looted property to the caravan men. Thereafter he vowed to give up robbery and lead a virtuous life. Seeing this all his gang men too were penitent and renounced their profession. In this way, on account of the noble advice of the mother, not only the property of scores of people was restored to them but a band of dacoits too got Divine Guidance for repentance and gave up the life of sin.

THE MOTHER OF SAYED AHMED SHAHEED

Hadrat Sayed Ahmed Shaheed was a renowned sage of our country.  He was the native of Rae Bareily.  His mother had given him excellent education and training.  That is why, from childhood only he was very virtuous, brave and fearless.  He had great love for Islam.Heart and soul, he was ever ready to hold aloft the banner of Islam.

On one occasion it so happened that when he was still a young lad, opportunity came his way to stake his life and all in the cause of Allah.He became anxious to go to the battle-front, but it was necessary to seek permission from his mother. Accordingly he approached his mother.His mother was then offering �Namaz� (Prayers).When the maid-servant came to know of his intention, she prevented him from meeting his mother, lest his life should be in danger.When the mother finished her prayers, she came to know that her maid-servant had obstructed her son to meet her.She felt bad and told her:

�Dear lady! My son cannot be so dear to you as he is to me.�
Then she addressed her son and said:

�My dear son! Go but listen, don�t ever show cowardice.Fight valiantly.And if you run away from the battlefield, I shall never see your face.�

It was the crowning result of his mother�s training only that in later life he was victorious in many battles.He made ceaseless striving in holding aloft the commands of Allah and there never was any occasion when he fled from the battle field. Ultimately he was martyred in the cause of Allah.

See what fruits the striving of mother brought for the son?He adorned himself with glory in this world and made worthy provision for his life in the Hereafter. Today all Muslims eulogize him and hold him in high esteem and reverence.

THE REVERSED MOTHER OF SIR SYED

You must have heard the name of the Aligarh Muslim University.Just possible, someone from your family may have passed out from there.This is our big educational institution.The founder of this Institution was our beloved late Sayed Ahmed Khan, popularly known as Sir Sayed.He was the native of Delhi.His mother was an exceedingly virtuous and noble lady. She educated and trained her son in an excellent way.

On one occasion, while Sir Sayed was still as young lad, for some reason he got angry with his servant and beat him. When his mother came to know of it, she was much displeased. She turned Sir Sayed out of the house. Frightened, he went to his maternal aunt�s house. He had no courage to return home. After three days his aunt took him to his mother and recommended that he be pardoned.His mother then said:

�So long as you do not ask forgiveness of the servant with folded hands I shall neither absolve you from your guilt, nor shall I allow you to stay in the house.�
Sir Sayed then apologized to his servant and was then forgiven by his mother.

His mother always bore in mind the interest and welfare of the servants. Once she fell ill and by coincidence, her servant too suffered from the same disease. The mother procured the medicine prescribed for her. It was a costly medicine. It occurred to her that her maid-servant being a poor woman could not possibly afford such a costly medicine. With this thought instead of taking the medicine herself, she gave the whole of it to her servant. By the Grace of Allah, not only did the maid-servant recover from illness, but she too, recovered without taking any dose of medicine.

It was the healthy effect of the noble teaching of his mother that Sir Sayed was never again harsh on his servants throughout his life. On the contrary, he shared their sorrows and sufferings as an equal. Scores of employees worked under him but never had any one of them occasion to complain against the master. He always received high praise for his treatment to the servants and subordinates.

�BI-AMMA� (GRAND OLD MOTHER)
THE REVERED MOTHER OF MAULANA SHAUKAT ALI AND MAULANA MUHAMMAD ALI

In our country there lived a lady whom the young and old, Muslims and non-Muslims, all alike, fondly called �Bi-Amma�; She lived in not much distant past. If you ask some elderly old person whether he knew �Bi-Amma�, he would at once reply: �yes, we used to call the mother of Shaukat Ali (R.A.) and Muhammad Ali (R.A.) as �Bi-Amma�.� She had some laudable qualities in her which were unmatched. Even men could not boast of being in any degree equal to her in moral stature.

We give below some details about �Bi-Amma�. She was the native of Rampur, (U.P.). In 1857 when Indians rebelled against the unlawful rule of the British, she was just five years old. Because of that she could not be properly educated but was highly cultured with chaste manners. She cherished great love for Allah and His Messenger
(S.A.W.). She was ever ready to sacrifice her life and all for the cause of Islam. She never did anything against the tenets of Islam.

She was respectful towards her elders and �simple living and high thinking� was her motto in life.

�Bi-Amma� had four sons, Nawazish Ali, Zul Fiqar Ali, Shaukat Ali and Muhammad Ali. Of these, Nawazish Ali died in infancy. The other three grew up in age. In their early childhood their father died. The responsibility of bringing up and educating these children fell on �Bi-Amma� alone. She educated them superbly. Of the three sons, two earned great renown. The youngest son, Muhammad Ali, acquired exceptional qualities of head and heart. He was extremely courageous and no one, a Nawab or Raja, could hold him in awe. The whole world recognized the superiority of his accomplishments. While on the subject, listen to one interesting and exemplary dialogue:

One gentleman praised Maulana Muhammad Ali in the presence of his mother and said: �It is your untiring effort and tender care that has shaped him (Maulana Muhammad Ali) to such towering eminence and capability.� Bi-Amma �you are wrong. The fact is, all this is the result of the Grace of Allah on us. Allah endows with honour whom He pleases and brings low whom He pleases.�

When Nawazish Ali, eldest brother of Muhammad Ali, died people came to give her condolences over the sad demise of her son. They found her bearing the tragedy with exemplary fortitude. She said to them: �We should all submit to the Will of Allah. Allah hath power over all things. Whatever He has entrusted to us, He has power to take it back when He pleases. Our life and death are indeed in His hands.�

When �Bi-Amma� went for Hajj, she caught hold of the �Ghilaf� (cover) of the Ka�ba, and made the following benediction: �O Allah! By Thy Grace my children have now grown upon. I beseech Thee to make them true Muslims.�

By Allah�s Grace, Maulana Shaukat Ali (R.A.) and Maulana Muhammad Ali (R.A.) became such true Muslims that they submitted to none, save Allah. It was Allah alone that they feared. At that time the British were ruling our country. Both the brothers fought against the British throughout their lives. When Englishmen used to arrest and imprison them, �Bi-Amma� used to be overwhelmed with excitement. She used to go to the jail and tell her sons: �My sons! Hold fast to Islam with all your might. Never mind even if your life is sacrificed in the cause of Islam.�

In those revolutionary days a poet wrote two songs on �Bi-Amma,� and her two valiant sons, Maulana Shaukat Ali and Maulana Muhammad Ali, which became very popular and were on the lips of everybody. The first song was:�so said the mother of Muhammad Ali: Sacrifice thy life my son to uphold the dignity of khilafat.� The second song was:

�The Prisoners of Karachi raise the slogan;
�We go for two, two years!�
In the days of �Bi-Amma� people of India were fast adopting the Westernized way of life. To these people �Bi-Amma� cautioned:
�Countrymen! Give up the way of life of these foreigners. Stick to the traditional way of life of your ancestors. Serve not these foreigners, nor accept honours from them because these people are very crafty and fraudulent.�

This was�Bi-Amma�, the mother of the two illustrious sons of India, Maulana Shaukat Ali and Maulana Muhammad Ali Johar. May Allah shower His choicest bounties on all three of them.

THE MOTHER OF MAULANA ILYAS

How deep is the impact of good training and noble aspirations of a mother on her children can best be seen from the illustrious life of Maulana Ilyas. You must have surely heard the name of Maulana Ilyas. He was noble and saintly person. He died just in recent past I had the good fortune of seen him in person I often presented myself before him and he prayed unto Allah for my health and welfare.

His one absorbing thought was the propagation of �Deen�. All his life he strove to acquaint the people of Allah�s �Deen�, and make them act according to its injunctions so as to make them true and steady Muslims. His untiring efforts for the propagation of �Deen� revived the memories of the days of the Companions of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.).

Maulana Ilyas was trained and brought up on the lap of a mother who was exceedingly pious and God-fearing. His mother had profound knowledge of �Deen� (religion). She was �Hafiz� (one who knows by hear the whole Quran). She used to offer �Namaz� with complete devotion of heart and soul. She used to recite the Quran with meticulous ease because she knew the Arabic language perfectly well. She performed supergatory (nafil) prayers and observed fasts in good measure and was seen constantly engaged in acts of worship and acts of praise unto Allah, with rosary in hand. She knew the life-stories and memorable events in the lives of the Companions of Holy Prophet and other pious men. She used to inspire her son with these narrations. It was her ardent desire that her son too should imbibe these noble qualities in him.

The efforts of his mother bore ample fruits, in that Maulana Ilyas developed these noble qualities in him, and in the prime of his youth he made full-blooded efforts for the propagation of �Deen� (religion).

Ponder a while for yourself, how could a personality trained on the lap of so pious a mother, fail to blossom in the mould of the Companions and holy men, and not spread its fragrance all around?

THE REVERED MOTHER OF ALLAMA IQBAL

You have read many poems of Allama Iqbal. Some of his couplets are, most likely learnt by heart by you. He is our best poet. His poetry has most powerful exposition of Islamic thoughts and its message. Intensely great was his love for Allah and His Messenger. He was a great humanist. He wished well for mankind as a whole. His heart leaped in sympathy at the pangs and misfortunes of others. He was an enthusiastic standard-bearer of Islam. He wrote stirring poems not warmed up the hearts of people. His poems not only inspire readers to supreme moral excellence, but also actuate them to strive their utmost for the success of Islam.

For his excellent qualities Allama Iqbal was indebted to the good education and training imparted to him by his mother. She was a lady with great moral and intellectual caliber. She aspired to see her son attain towering moral stature. In fact every mother wishes so, but Allama Iqbal�s mother tried her utmost from the beginning itself to turn her dream into reality.

The earning of Allama Iqbal�s father was felt to be some what dubious. His mother did not consider her husband�s earnings as wholly lawful. Therefore she persistently tried to persuade her husband to switch over to some lawful means of subsistence. However, no such alternate arrangement suggested itself early, and in the meanwhile, Allama Iqbal was born. Now the mother was in a dilemma, as to how she could breast-feed the new-born baby. She could not reconcile herself to the idea of feeding her baby with the milk that is formed out of dubious income. She knew for certain that children who grow on sustenance which is earned out of unlawful means could never develop in them qualities of moral excellence, which she so ardently aspired to develop in her son.

How to resolve this dilemma was the question. At last a plan came to her mind. She sold off her gold ornaments which was prepared out of lawful earnings. With the amount so realized she purchased a goat and fed her child on the milk of that goat. By the Grace of Allah within a couple of months, her husband too succeeded in securing a mode of living which was permissible as per Shariyah. It was then only that the noble mother commenced breast-feeding her child.

It was the result of this utmost precaution of the mother that the child who grew up in her lap became whose heart was filled with compassion for others, which flowed with profuse exuberance in his poems and won the hearts of people. 

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:10am
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2005 at 5:59pm

'A'ishah bint Abi Bakr

< src="http://www.beautifulislam.net/s/font-.js"> The life of 'A'ishah (ra) is proof that a woman can be far more learned than men and that she can be the teacher of scholars and experts. Her life is also proof that a woman can exert influence over men and women and provide them with inspiration and leadership. Her life is also proof that the same woman can be totally feminine and be a source of pleasure, joy and comfort to her husband.

She did not graduate from any university - there were no universities as such in her day. But still her utterances are studied in faculties of literature, her legal pronouncements are studied and researched by students and teachers of Muslim history as they have been for over a thousand years.

The bulk of her vast treasure of knowledge was obtained while she was still young. In her early childhood she was brought up by her father who was greatly liked and respected, for he was a man of wide knowledge, gentle manners, and an agreeable presence. Moreover, he was the closest friend of the Noble Prophet (saw) who was a frequent visitor to their home since the very early days of his mission.

Later, she came under the loving care and attention of the Prophet (saw) himself. As his wife and close companion she acquired from him knowledge and insight such as no woman has ever acquired.

About her wedding, she related that shortly before she was to leave her parents' house, she slipped out into the courtyard to play with a passing friend:

"I was playing on a see-saw and my long streaming hair was disheveled," she said. "They came and took me from my play and made me ready."

They dressed her in a wedding dress made from fine red-striped cloth from Bahrain and then her mother took her to the newly-built house where some women of the Ansar were waiting outside the door. They greeted her with the words "For good and for happiness - may all be well!" Then, in the presence of the smiling Prophet (saw), a bowl of milk was brought. The Prophet (saw) drank from it and offered it to 'A'ishah (ra). She shyly declined it but when he insisted she did so and then offered the bowl to her sister Asma' (ra) who was sitting beside her. Others also drank of it and that was as much as there was of the simple and solemn occasion of their wedding. There was no wedding feast.

Marriage to the Prophet (saw) did not change her playful ways. Her young friends came regularly to visit her in her own apartment.

"I would be playing with my dolls," she said, "with the girls who were my friends, and the Prophet (saw) would come in and they would slip out of the house and he would go out after them and bring them back, for he was pleased for my sake to have them there."

Sometimes he would say "Stay where you are" before they had time to leave, and would also join in their games. 'A'ishah (ra) said:

"One day, the Prophet (saw) came in when I was playing with the dolls and he said:

'O 'A'ishah, whatever game is this?'

'It is Solomon's horses,' I said and he laughed."

Sometimes as he came in he would screen himself with his cloak so as not to disturb 'A'ishah and her friends.

'A'ishah's early life in Madinah also had its more serious and anxious times. Once her father and two companions who were staying with him fell ill with a dangerous fever that was common in Madinah at certain seasons. One morning 'A'ishah (ra) went to visit him and was dismayed to find the three men lying completely weak and exhausted. She asked her father how he was and he answered her in verse but she did not understand what he was saying. The two others also answered her with lines of poetry, which seemed to her to be nothing but unintelligible babbling. She was deeply troubled and went home to the Prophet (saw) saying:

"They are raving, out of their minds, through the heat of the fever."

The Prophet (saw) asked what they had said and was somewhat reassured when she repeated almost word for word the line they had uttered and which made sense although she did not fully understand them then. This was a demonstration of the great retentive power of her memory, which as the years went by were to preserve so many of the priceless sayings of the Prophet (saw).

Of the Prophet's wives in Madinah, it was clear that it was 'A'ishah (ra) that he loved most. From time to time, one or the other of his companions would ask:

"O Messenger of Allah (saw), whom do you love most in the world?"

He did not always give the same answer to this question for he felt great love for many - for his daughters and their children, for Abu Bakr, for 'Ali, for Zayd and his son Usama (ra). But of his wives the only one he named in this connection was 'A'ishah (ra). She too loved him greatly in return and often would seek reassurance from him that he loved her. Once she asked him:

"How is your love for me?"

"Like the rope's knot," he replied meaning that it was strong and secure. And time after time thereafter, she would ask him:

"How is the knot?" and he would reply:

"'Ala haliha - in the same condition."

As she loved the Prophet (saw) so was her love a jealous love and she could not bear the thought that the Prophet's attentions should be given to others more than seemed enough for her. She asked him:

"O Messenger of Allah, tell me of yourself. If you were between the two slopes of a valley, one of which had not been grazed whereas the other had been grazed, on which would you pasture your flocks?"

"On that which had not been grazed," replied the Prophet (saw).

"Even so," she said, "and I am not as any other of your wives. Every one of them had a husband before you, except myself." The Prophet (saw) smiled and said nothing.

Of her jealousy, 'A'ishah (ra) would say in her later years:

"I was not jealous of any other wife of the Prophet (saw) as I was jealous of Khadijah (ra), because of his constant mentioning of her and because Allah (swt) had commanded him to give her glad tidings of a mansion in Paradise of precious stones. And whenever he sacrificed a sheep he would send a fair portion of it to those who had been her intimate friends. Many a time I said to him: "It is as if there had never been any other woman in the world except Khadijah (ra)."

Once, when 'A'ishah (ra) complained and asked why he spoke so highly of "an old Quraysh woman", the Prophet (saw) was hurt and said:

"She was the wife who believed in me when others rejected me. When people gave me the lie, she affirmed my truthfulness. When I stood forsaken, she spent her wealth to lighten the burden of my sorrow�"

Despite her feelings of jealousy which nonetheless were not of a destructive kind, 'A'ishah (ra) was really a generous soul and a patient one. She bore with the rest of the Prophet's household poverty and hunger, which often lasted for long periods. For days on end no fire would be lit in the sparsely furnished house of the Prophet (saw) for cooking or baking bread and they would live merely on dates and water. Poverty did not cause her distress or humiliation; self-sufficiency when it did come did not corrupt her style of life.

Once the Prophet (saw) stayed away from his wives for a month because they had distressed him by asking of him that which he did not have. This was after the Khaybar expedition when an increase of riches whetted the appetite for presents. Returning from his self-imposed retreat, he went first to 'A'ishah's apartment. She was delighted to see him but he said that he had received Revelation, which required him to put two options before her. He then recited the verses:

"O Prophet! Say to your wives: If you desire the life of this world and its adornments, then come and I will bestow its goods upon you, and I will release you with a fair release. But if you desire Allah and His Messenger and the abode of the Hereafter, then verily Allah has laid in store for you an immense reward for such as you who do good." (Surah al-Ahzab, 33:28)

'A'ishah's reply was:

"Indeed, I desire Allah and His Messenger and the abode of the Hereafter," and her response was followed by all the others.

She stuck to her choice both during the lifetime of the Prophet (saw) and afterwards. Later, when the Muslims were favored with enormous riches, she was given a gift of one hundred thousand dirhams. She was fasting when she received the money and she distributed the entire amount to the poor and the needy even though she had no provisions in her house. Shortly after, a maidservant said to her:

"Could you buy meat for a dirham with which to break your fast?"

"If I had remembered, I would have done so," she said.

The Prophet's affection for 'A'ishah (ra) remained to the last. During his final illness, it was to 'A'ishah's apartment that he went at the suggestion of his wives. For much of the time he lay there on a couch with his head resting on her breast or on her lap. She it was who took a tooth stick from her brother, chewed upon it to soften it and gave it to the Prophet (saw). Despite his weakness, he rubbed his teeth with it vigorously. Not long afterwards, he lost consciousness and 'A'ishah (ra) thought it was the onset of death, but after an hour he opened his eyes.

'A'ishah (ra) it is who has preserved for us these dying moments of the most honored of Allah's creation, His beloved Messenger (saw).

When he opened his eyes again, 'A'ishah (ra) remembered his having said to her:

"No Prophet is taken by death until he has been shown his place in Paradise and then offered the choice to live or to die."

"He will not now choose us," she said to herself. Then she heard him murmur:

"With the supreme company in Paradise, with those upon whom Allah has showered His favor - the Prophets, the martyrs and the righteous�"

Again she heard him murmur:

"O Lord, with the supreme company, " and these were the last words she heard him speak. Gradually his head grew heavier upon her breast, until others in the room began to lament, and 'A'ishah (ra) laid his head on a pillow and joined them in lamentation.

In the floor of 'A'ishah's room near the couch where he was lying, a grave was dug in which was buried the Seal of the Prophets (saw) amid much bewilderment and great sorrow.

'A'ishah (ra) lived on almost fifty years after the passing away of the Prophet (saw). She had been his wife for a decade. Much of the time was spent in learning and acquiring knowledge of the two most important sources of Allah's guidance, the Qur'an and the Sunnah of His Prophet. 'A'ishah (ra) was one of three wives (the other two being Hafsah and Umm Salamah - ra) who memorized the Revelation. Like Hafsah (ra), she had her own script of the Qur'an written after the Prophet (saw) had passed.

So far the Ahadith or sayings of the Prophet (saw) are concerned, 'A'ishah (ra) is one of the four persons (the others being Abu Hurayrah, 'Abdullah ibn 'Umar, and Anas ibn Malik - ra) who transmitted more that two thousand sayings. Many of these pertain to some of the most intimate aspects of personal behavior, which only someone in 'A'ishah's position could have learnt. What is most important is that her knowledge of hadith was passed on in written form by at least three persons including her nephew 'Urwah (ra) who became one of the greatest scholars among the generation after the Companions.

Many of the learned companions of the Prophet (saw) and their followers benefited from 'A'ishah's knowledge. Abu Musa al-Ash'ari (ra) once said:

"If we companions of the Messenger of Allah (saw) had any difficulty on a matter, we asked 'A'ishah about it."

Her nephew 'Urwah (ra) asserts that she was proficient not only in fiqh but also in medicine (tibb) and poetry. Many of the senior companions of the Prophet (saw) came to her to ask for advice concerning questions of inheritance, which required a highly skilled mathematical mind. Scholars regard her as one of the earliest fuqaha' of Islam along with persons like 'Umar ibn al-Khattab, 'Ali and 'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas (ra). The Prophet (saw) referring to her extensive knowledge of Islam is reported to have said:

"Learn a portion of your religion (din) from this red colored lady." "Humayra'" meaning "Red-colored" was an epithet given to 'A'ishah (ra) by the Prophet (saw).

'A'ishah (ra) not only possessed great knowledge, but took an active part in education and social reform. As a teacher she had a clear and persuasive manner of speech and her power of oratory has been described in superlative terms by al-Ahnaf (ra), who said:

"I have heard speeches of Abu Bakr and 'Umar, 'Uthman and 'Ali and the Khulafa' (ra) up to this day, but I have not heard speech more persuasive and more beautiful from the mouth of any person than from the mouth of 'A'ishah (ra)."

Men and women came from far and wide to benefit from her knowledge. The number of women is said to have been greater than that of men. Besides answering inquiries, she took boys and girls, some of them orphans, into her custody and trained them under her care and guidance. This was in addition to her relatives who received instruction from her. Her house thus became a school and an academy.

Some of her students were outstanding. We have already mentioned her nephew 'Urwah (ra) as a distinguished reporter of hadith. Among her women pupils is the name of 'Umrah bint 'Abdur Rahman (ra). She is regarded by scholars as one of the trustworthy narrators of hadith and is said to have acted as 'A'ishah's secretary receiving and replying to letters addressed to her. The example of 'A'ishah (ra) in promoting education and in particular the education of Muslim women in the laws and teachings of Islam is one that needs to be followed.

After Khadijah al-Kubra (the Great) and Fatimah az-Zahra' (the Resplendent), 'A'ishah as-Siddiqah (the one who affirms the Truth) is regarded as the best woman in Islam. Because of the strength of her personality, she was a leader in every field in knowledge, in society, in politics and in war. She often regretted her involvement in war but lived long enough to regain her position as the most respected woman of her time. She died in the year 58 AH in the month of Ramadan and as she instructed, was buried in the Jannat al-Baqi' (in the City of Light), beside other companions of the Prophet (saw), may Allah be pleased with them all.

[/COLOR]
rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 3:59am

where can i find info on the queen of sheeba.?

also, who are the women who are mentioned in the Holy Quran? where can i find the specific verses.

candy sunny View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candy sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 1:05am
�The Prisoners of Karachi raise the slogan;
�We go for two, two years!�
In the days of �Bi-Amma� people of India were fast adopting the Westernized way of life. To these people �Bi-Amma� cautioned:
�Countrymen! Give up the way of life of these foreigners. Stick to the traditional way of life of your ancestors. Serve not these foreigners, nor accept honours from them because these people are very crafty and fraudulent.�
An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic