IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Curious of Sufi Whirling?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Curious of Sufi Whirling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curious of Sufi Whirling?
    Posted: 01 January 2014 at 12:09pm
I met some young men at a social event and they had me hold their hands and form a circle, where we shuffled/kicked our feet and went in circles. Then one knelt down, and patted his hand over his mouth repeatedly as he "yodeled" or called out- something like what people used to call "Indian Calling." I wasn't sure what this was, but later found out it could be something called Sufi Whirling and was said to be part of Islam? I don't have any experience in religion and was really curious about this. Was that what was being done and what does it mean?
Sayyed Mohammad View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sayyed Mohammad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 11:29pm
Hello my sister(in Islam especially in my religion you are my religious sister or you are my sister in creation ) I can read English good but I can't write in English very well forgive me for this because you are donor. You narrated something which I know about it abundant enough that I can help you.I raised where some men ( I emphasized only minority) do somethings are very strange now l narrat a few stories that happened on me.but I can't write in English and I write in Persian:من مدتی قبل مشکلی در آموزه های دینی پیدا کرده بودم پس به افراد زیادی مراجعه کردم و از آنها خواستم که به جای پاسخ دادن با فلسفه و منطق که خودم هم از از زیاد می دانم چیزی نشانم بدهند که قلبم آرام شود نه عقلم. پس از مدت زیادی که دنبال آدم های زیادی در سراسر کشور گشتم شبی چند نفر را پیدا کردم که هر چه می گفتم می گفتند می رویم پیش استادمان پاسخ را با نشانه می دهد نه با دلایل زیاد و معمولی. آن شب وقتی وارد خانه بسیار قدیمی شدیم وارد اتاقی شدیم که تقریبا بیشتر فضای اتاق را کتاب های کهنه و قدیمی پر کرده بود مردی مشغول نماز خواندن بود. وقتی نمازش تمام شد با سلام و احوال پرسی پیش من آمد وقتی من اولین سوالم را مطرح کردم بعد از پاسخی دقیق شروع کرد بقیه سئوال های من را خودش جواب داد در حالی که من اصلا از او سوالی نکرده بودم اما قبل از آنکه بگویم همه جواب داد و من با حیرت و شگفتی زیاد در حالی که گیج شده بودم بیرون آمدم من از این جو ر مسایل زیاد دیده و شنیده ام.I hope you can find truth and the truth is sole. خدانگهدار شما باشد
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 4:54am
Originally posted by happyjess happyjess wrote:

I met some young men at a social event and they had me hold their hands and form a circle, where we shuffled/kicked our feet and went in circles. Then one knelt down, and patted his hand over his mouth repeatedly as he "yodeled" or called out- something like what people used to call "Indian Calling." I wasn't sure what this was, but later found out it could be something called Sufi Whirling and was said to be part of Islam? I don't have any experience in religion and was really curious about this. Was that what was being done and what does it mean?

Was it something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SjnzXZ0Xho
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 8:20am
What was the social event? What was the country of origin for these young men?
happyjess View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 9:18am
It was actually a dance club, a New Years event. They were foreign exchange students from Saudi Arabia.
happyjess View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Originally posted by happyjess happyjess wrote:

Was it something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SjnzXZ0Xho

No it wasn't like that very much. We all held hands in a circle, and we kicked our feet, and went round and round. But we did hold our hands up in the air together. But the foot movements weren't the same at all and the shouting part was missing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic