IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - celebrating christmas  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

celebrating christmas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: celebrating christmas
    Posted: 17 December 2013 at 5:28pm
Hello. I have been married to my husband for 10 years. We have 2 kids & one on the way.  When we got married he was not a strict muslim & I was catholic.  He drank, didn't pray etc... About 3 years into our marriage he became very religious. He now follows & does his 5 prayers a day. I too have converted, but do not pray...yet.  So this is the first year he is telling me he refuses to celebrate christmas.  This is devastating to me, this is my family's biggest holiday.  We only celebrate santa, it's not looked at as a religious holiday.  For him to change out of nowhere is not fair!  My family calls him for Eid & comes over to celebrate.  Please help...he's putting such a strain on the family:(
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 10:30pm
Assalamalecum.he is doing right because we muslims can't celebrate Christmas because when one says merry Christmas means he is accepting the fact that Allah had begotten son (nosbillah), and we believe Allah is one, he is eternal, he is neither born nor give birth, there is nothing like him.Allah in ch 19 v 88-92 of Quran says that they say Allah had begotten son uf sky wud have emotions it cud have burst out if earth wud have emotions it cud have burst out.u said u r converted for ur information now u r a muslim and for a muslim there r only 2 festivals I.e 2 Eids.because Allah forbids innovation in islam in ch 5 v 3 of Quran.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 8:27am
Dani, salaams to you and your family! I advise you to applaud your husband for taking a principled stance based on wanting to grow closer to Allah and not do what he believes to be sinful. However, you may want to suggest to him that certainly there is nothing wrong with having respect for the beliefs of others, as you mentioned, your family respects his faith by calling on the occasion of Eid. Tell him that some scholars have differed on Christmas as you indicated with respect to "santa" (gift giving and accepting gifts):

Another group of scholar ruled that it is permissible to exchange gift during Christmas. European Council for Fatwa and Research issued a fatwa;

There is also no objection to accepting gifts and presents from them, and to return their gifts in kind, on condition that these gifts are not unlawful in themselves, such as being alcohol or pork. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) accepted the gift of the King of Egypt and several others (See: At-Tahawi's Sharh Mushkil Al-Athar).

[Fatwa by European Council for Fatwa & Research]

Edited by abuayisha - 19 December 2013 at 8:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic