IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Non-Islamic Seeker  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-Islamic Seeker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aponderette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-Islamic Seeker
    Posted: 08 December 2013 at 7:31am
I am a wife, mother, daughter and full-time employed teacher. Raised as a Christian, I have had doubts for many years. My doubts started with the Lord's Prayer. Jesus says to pray as follows, "Our Father who art in heaven, hollowed by thy name..." As I would recite this example of prayer it occurred to me that Jesus never says holy are our names or pray in my name. Still, I diligently went to church and read my Bible. Then I came across a couple of scriptures that made me think that perhaps my concerns were justified (Mark 13:21-23; Luke 21: 7-8). Not to mention that Jesus refers to being sent not deciding to go to the world.

These have been concerns of mine for over 10 years. But what to do about them? I am from a very Christian family; husband, children and parents are all devout. How is a woman who is married to a man who believes in one thing supposed to explore something so very different? I DO believe in One God and have explored all the religions that are monotheistic. Islam is by far the most compatible with my beliefs including the role of woman. Yet, to follow one role is to be dishonest to the other.

I read the Quran in private and pray, but feel very alone. What is right in this situation? What hope is there? I try to pray and study, but to what end? I care very deeply for my family and have no desire to cause a rift.

I look forward to feedback from others: especially anyone who might be in a similar situation.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2013 at 12:54pm
I suggest that you become a Muslim, and continue reading Quran. Perhaps our Creator will also guide your family. The declaration of faith (shahadah) is simple:

http://wn.com/the_shahada,_the_testimony_of_faith_to_islam
Aponderette View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aponderette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 1:06am
Thank you for your response. I will pray on your suggestion!
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Aponderette Aponderette wrote:

I am a wife, mother, daughter and full-time employed teacher. Raised as a Christian, I have had doubts for many years. My doubts started with the Lord's Prayer. Jesus says to pray as follows, "Our Father who art in heaven, hollowed by thy name..." As I would recite this example of prayer it occurred to me that Jesus never says holy are our names or pray in my name. Still, I diligently went to church and read my Bible. Then I came across a couple of scriptures that made me think that perhaps my concerns were justified (Mark 13:21-23; Luke 21: 7-8). Not to mention that Jesus refers to being sent not deciding to go to the world.

These have been concerns of mine for over 10 years. But what to do about them? I am from a very Christian family; husband, children and parents are all devout. How is a woman who is married to a man who believes in one thing supposed to explore something so very different? I DO believe in One God and have explored all the religions that are monotheistic. Islam is by far the most compatible with my beliefs including the role of woman. Yet, to follow one role is to be dishonest to the other.

I read the Quran in private and pray, but feel very alone. What is right in this situation? What hope is there? I try to pray and study, but to what end? I care very deeply for my family and have no desire to cause a rift.

I look forward to feedback from others: especially anyone who might be in a similar situation.

Asalaamu Alaikum,

As a former Christian I understand what you are going through, however rest assured that the only thin that will save you is Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. If you are now thinking that Islam is the right religion then you are being guided by the One Who created you. Only He can turn people to Himself.

To help you further I'd like to give you this questionnaire and tick the box that you feel is right and perhaps it will help make you decide.

1) Do you believe that there is only ONE God? Yes   No

2) Do you believe that Christianity was corrupted after the Roman Empire took control?   Yes No

3) Do you believe that the Bible has been tampered by human hands? Yes   No

4) Do you feel that there was a need for a final messenger to mankind after the corruption as described above? Yes No

5) Do you believe that we should purify ourselves before presenting ourselves before the Lord in prayer? Yes No

6) Do you believe that women should wear appropriate clothing in front of other people/strangers? Yes   No

7) Do you believe that Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) is a prophet like all the other prophets of God?   Yes   No

It is very difficult with your family situation. I remember the turmoil that I went through with thoughts going through my mind such as what will friends and family will say, will they still accept me as I am etc.
From my experience it will, of course, be a shock initially but after a while it will go back to some kind of normality. Then again my situation is completely different to yours.

Ask Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala for guidance and He is the only help that you need. In Shaa Allah He will hear you.

Salaam
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 1:48pm
As-salaam alaikum.  It is good to hear that you feel that Islam is compatible with your beliefs.  I can understand your hesitance over how your family will react, and it  is a concern for many people in your situation.  I can't say how it must feel since I was raised Muslim, but it surely must be very difficult.  However, you must ask yourself which is more important: pleasing Allah (swt) or pleasing your family? 

I think brother Abu Loren's post is very enlightening, especially since he also had to deal with the issue of his family and friends.

I would urge you to keep praying and reading the Quran, even if it is in private.  This will help to increase your faith and your resolve, inshaAllah.  As a result, you may feel better about informing your family.  May Allah (swt) make you strong in faith and may He protect you from any doubt or fear. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Aponderette Aponderette wrote:

Dear sister,
you have achieved the purpose of your life, to acknowledge that your services and worships are to be directed to none else but whom they belong, your creator, God Almighty.

You have found the map and learnt how to read it, now don't leave it there. Keep paying attention and seek God's help in showing you the path all the way. Keep reading the Quran visit your local Mosque. Most Mosques have women's groups that are very helpful. And always remember you will find people as people, so be careful and keep your direction straight and bright. God forbids us to give up hope.
As far as dealing with family, you ask Allah's help. Allah will guide you every step of the way. We are told not to cut off relationships, but our relationship to our maker is not a matter of choice unless we like to be eternally in loss. Please stay safe and let us know if you have any other question.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aponderette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 7:49am
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aponderette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 7:53am
I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic