IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Asia-Pacific
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - any problem Muslims travel to Shanghai  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

any problem Muslims travel to Shanghai

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any problem Muslims travel to Shanghai
    Posted: 18 October 2005 at 7:13pm

Assalaamu 'alaikum.

I will be travelling to Shanghai by end of Nov for business purpose. I think I will be the only Muslim in the whole group.   As a Muslim, I would like to know will it be any problem for foods, is it convenient to get halal food? If no halal food, what is the best I can do for eating? Is there any mosque there? How do I check the prayer time? etc...

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 1:18am

Wa alaikum as salam.

I haven't been to Shanghai but I've lived/worked in other provinces in China.  I've never had a problem getting halal food anywhere.   When I was in Beijing I swore there were more Muslim restaurants in Hai Dian district than in all of California.  All of the supermarkets carry halal meat.   Just like we have the "K" in the States for Kosher, in China there's a "halal" symbol.  (it's just halal written in arabic)   If you're ever not sure, just ask someone in the store if the food is "hui ming de." 

Going out to eat with your co-workers  shouldn't be so bad.  Every restaurant serves vegetables and Tofu  But I must say the tofu is pretty good.  

Enjoy your stay in China, you're going to have a blast!

Salaam

I
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 1:23am
Oh yea, you shouldn't have a problem finding a mosque.  Just ask where the "Qing Jing Si" is.  (I hope I spelled that right, I'm forgetting my Pin Yin).
Eddy View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 1:54am
Thanks for reply Abeer. Yes i understand "qing jing si", but what is "hui ming de" means? and also, if i go to restaurant (non islamic restaurant) with colleagues, it is alright for me to take vegetarian food, even though the meat is not halal?
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 8:46am

I guess a rough translation for "hui ming" is Muslim and "de" is a suffix used to show possession or belonging.    If I said something was Mai Guo De, it would mean it was American.    

I don't see why you couldn't eat the vegetarian food.    Just make sure they don't put any meat in your vegetables.  Chinese like to mix meat and vegetables.  Also, pretty much all Chinese understand that Muslims don't eat pork.  But they don't get the concept of "halal" beef, chicken,etc.  So be careful, of people giving you meat and saying "yes yes I know you're muslim this one you can eat."

Salaam

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 8:49am
Ooops I meant to write mei guo de
Eddy View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Abeer23 Abeer23 wrote:

.....So be careful, of people giving you meat and saying "yes yes I know you're muslim this one you can eat."

I agree with your statement, that is what normally people say

So I will request for vegetarian food, as this is the best I can do at that situation.

What is your opinion, if I am worry that their cooking utensil  was touched by pork, cooking oil containing pork? Just hope that Allah will make our food halal, Insyallah, right?

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 2:55am

Hmm, I know a lot of Muslims in China that will only eat in Muslim restaurants because of the possibility of the utensils being touched by pork.     This is an issue.  Perhaps you could take it up with an Imam.    I fear giving you an opinion without proper adilla.

Salaam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic