IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Quotes of hellfire are not necessary  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quotes of hellfire are not necessary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 11:59pm

It seems to be accepted in the islamic community that "advice" for religious matters should be welcomed and not seen as rude if you see someone in error. It's an example of cultural relativeness though, because in the states this is considered extremely rude and an invasion of privacy. I can only guess that because this country is mostly Christian we are more inclined to privacy on these matters since the Christians in America have a more general perspective on right and wrong, exluding the fundamentalist sects.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 6:04am

Assalaamu alaikum Sisters,

I came across this while browsing Q & A at Sunnipath.com and thought it might be appropriate to post it here.  No offense is intended and I do hope everyone finds this beneficial.  It certainly address many of the concerns and comments in this thread (though, of course, it is talking about face to face encounters, not cyber ones - but, still, the advice seems quite appropriate).  Ramadan mubarak!

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

I have many Muslim friends that do not wear hijab, or are not too aware of some of the basic rules of fiqh, and often times I feel as though I should say something to correct them. I know it's best to say in person, when no one else is around to avoid embarrassing my sister, but sometimes I think that they may take it the wrong way. For instance, I think many people get defensive quickly, and think I am judging them because I wear hijab and they do not, or I "talk about Islamic stuff" more than they do, so they feel intimidated by me, or feel embarrassed if I see them doing something that is not, "halaal" or is not wrong, but could lead to wrong.

I try my best to approach them with adab, and tell them as sincerely as I can, but then, where do I draw the line, because I too, am not perfect in what I do, and I don't want them to think that I think I'm am better than them? How do I go about helping my sisters without offending them, or making myself seem judgemental?

Walaikum assalam,

The best thing for such matters, in general, is to be a positive role model. There is an issue of priorities in dawah: if someone does not understanding the basics of their religion and belief, and may not even be praying, we need to approach these issues first, and create a positive feeling in their heart for the deen of Allah and for religious people. Through good company and positive reinforcement usually things like hijab, listening to music (a tough thing for many), etc, are resolved without much need for preaching.

One has to be very "light handed" when it comes to correcting people on such matters. So one should hate the things that they do wrong, but our love for them entails that we choose the course of action in seeking to change their ways that is most likely to be effective. Often people expect you to correct them and tell them to do this or that. If you don't, and just treat them very nicely and lovingly, you can disarm them and they'll start thinking, "Well, she's a different kind of hijabi..." And be much more open and trusting of you...

Scholars say that commanding the good and forbidding the evil is only obligatory if one thinks that the person would listen. Otherwise, it is recommended, unless a greater harm or worsening of the situation is feared, in which case it would be better (or even obligatory, in some cases) not to say anything. It would be an obligation, however, to hate the wrong in one's heart and, if it is happening in one's presence (such as listening to unlawful music) to leave if stopping it is not possible. [Based on the entry on enjoining the good and forbidding the evil in Shaykh Khalil al-Nahlawi's al-Durar al-Mubaha fi'l Hadhr wa'l Ibaha.]

It is important for us to love all of creation because they are Allah's creation. As such, they are exactly as Allah willed them to be. This is especially true of all believers, even the sinful, for they have been honored by Allah Most High by the rank of belief, which is unbelievably tremendous. But we have been commanded to love certain actions and hate others...

And focusing on the positive, beautiful aspects of our religion draws and attracts people to accepting their slave-hood. As they realize their duty to their Lord, they will submit more and more to His commands and be more and more receptive of any guidance or advice that is offered.

And Allah alone gives success.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
sinful servant View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinful servant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by MayPB MayPB wrote:

It seems to be accepted in the islamic community that "advice" for religious matters should be welcomed and not seen as rude if you see someone in error. It's an example of cultural relativeness though, because in the states this is considered extremely rude and an invasion of privacy. I can only guess that because this country is mostly Christian we are more inclined to privacy on these matters since the Christians in America have a more general perspective on right and wrong, exluding the fundamentalist sects.

maypb i agree with sister( i cant rmember her name forgive me!)that timing and intention is key here.to give advice is the same as imparting your knowledge of the subject or problem the other person is in...i feel that if your knowledge or advice is going to benefit them..u MUST tell them and it is a muslim's duty to inform the next.we dont all know everything and we never will but we can learn from each other and that way grow as individuals and as muslims...

may Allah give us all the understanding and forbearance to do the right thing and stay away from that which is disliked by Him.inshallah!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic