IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Imams/Scholarship  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Imams/Scholarship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Begbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imams/Scholarship
    Posted: 13 October 2005 at 6:31pm
OK, I have received a couple of warnings in regards as to how I label islamic "scholars". Well, one scholar in particular, qaradawi. (See FGM/FMG topics).
But this kind of got my mind wandering because it seems to me that it is fairly easy for a person to set themselves up as a "scholar" or imam and start throwing fatwas out there left and right and publishing books and pamphlets and standing at the head to the congregation spouting their own agenda. Further, the media tends to jump on this type of self declared imam and it is easy to draw a dim view of things. As an example, the "wife beating" imam in this story;

BBC news

and things like fatwas stating that football is unislamic , Salman Rushdie must die etc, etc.

It seems that criticism of these self declared "scholars" is difficult (impossible on this board) and I wondered why that is ? Why do some muslims come to the defence of these immams, why do they allow their mosques to be run by people like this ? Why doesn't the board or committee say "Hey man, you need to tone it down a tad."

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 6:29pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Begbie "Hey man, you need to tone it down a tad."

There is nothing wrong with critisising the position of a muslim scholar if what he is saying is new and contravertial, you do this by talking about what is wrong with what he has said.

What is not tolerated is calling them names. Talk about there opinions not them.

Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Jazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 8:16pm
Hi Rami,

Why is the thread locked in "Who am I" (something like that) "I am Not a Member of Any Religion"?
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 8:32pm

The discussion has gone past the scope of that section ie to introduce your self.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Begbie View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Begbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2005 at 8:34am
Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem</span>

Begbie "Hey man, you need to tone it down a tad."

There is nothing wrong with critisising the position of a muslim
scholar if what he is saying is new and contravertial, you do this by
talking about what is wrong with what he has said.

What is not tolerated is calling them names. Talk about there opinions not them.

Well, thanks for your response but erm, what has that to do with the question I posed ?
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2005 at 11:20pm

My post has everything to do with how you label islamic scholars, it was your opening sentence!

i was letting you what isnt accptable behviour on this forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic