IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Maryga  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaryga

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:13am

The question on FGM/FGC was posed by Begbie on the �Islam for non-Muslims� forum so I suppose that Begbie is a non-Muslim (please forgive me if I am wrong). For the sake of Begbie and any others I wish to give my perspective on this issue and explain why I believe this practice is unIslamic and wrong.

1. First of all, a Muslim should believe in the Quran in its entirety and should obey the Apostle of God � Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) � who was sent us a mercy to mankind. Regarding the Quran Allah has said that:

003.007 �He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part thereof that is allegorical, seeking discord, and searching for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord:" and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.�.

From the above it is clear that we are not to look for the meaning of the words that are allegorical and whose meaning is hidden and to follow what has been made plain to us.

YUSUFALI: A. L. R. These are the Ayats of Revelation, of a Qur'an that makes things clear.

018.001: Praise be to Allah, Who hath sent to His Servant the Book, and hath allowed therein no Crookedness:

018.002 (He hath made it) Straight (and Clear) in order that He may warn (the godless) of a terrible Punishment from Him, and that He may give Glad Tidings to the Believers who work righteous deeds, that they shall have a goodly Reward,

Everything that a Muslim needs to know in order to lead a life of righteousness has been made plain to him in the Quran and there is no crookedness therefore we need not go searching for something hidden as all that we need to know has been made clear.

019.097: So have We made the (Qur'an) easy in thine own tongue, that with it thou mayest give Glad Tidings to the righteous, and warnings to people given to contention.

054.017: And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition?

047.024: Do they not then earnestly seek to understand the Qur'an, or are their hearts locked up by them?

From the above it is clear that Allah has made the Quran easy to understand and those who earnestly seek to understand it will find guidance in it.

YUSUFALI: And strive in His cause as ye ought to strive, (with sincerity and under discipline). He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Messenger may be a witness for you, and ye be witnesses for mankind! So establish regular Prayer, give regular Charity, and hold fast to Allah! He is your Protector - the Best to protect and the Best to help!

YUSUFALI: When they do aught that is shameful, they say: "We found our fathers doing so"; and "Allah commanded us thus": Say: "Nay, Allah never commands what is shameful: do ye say of Allah what ye know not?"

Note the above two verses carefully. Not only has Allah made it easy for us to follow our religion but has also commanded us not to follow what is shameful and those acts that were done in the days of ignorance prior to Islam.

In addition to the above Allah has also commanded the Muslims to obey the Apostle. All that Allah has commanded in the Quran has been put into practise by the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and this has been recorded through narrations of those who were closest to him. These records are known as the �Hadith� and of these we Muslims go mainly for the most authentic that have been recorded by Muslim & Bukhari and the 40 authentic hadith known as Qudsi.

2. Even after repeatedly reading the Quran many times and having read many of the authentic hadith I have nowhere come across the command to perform female circumcision.

Everything that Allah has permitted us and forbidden us from in the Quran is for our benefit. For example with regards to intoxicating drinks we have been told that there is more harm in it than good. Clearly from most of the posts on the FGM thread the performing of this hideous act can cause mutilation, infections and God knows whatelse. I do not know what advantage there is to it but clearly there is more harm. So I cannot understand why anyone would even say that it is �optional�. On the other hand there is clear evidence even from the medical point of view that the male practise is done for the sake of personal hygiene and to prevent disease. It is just as removing unwanted hair from the body for the sake of hygiene and there is no harm from it. When a person argues as has been the case that if it is done on the male why not on the female, my question is the female gives birth, do you also give birth? No the two are not the same!

My �madhab� is mainstream Islam and I do not divide and attach myself to any sect giving it special recognition. As Muslims we are commanded to accept only the Quran without questioning and everything else is open to question, enquiry and criticism. Even the great caliph Umar (RA) openly accepted criticism and said that those who criticised him were his friends as they saved him from the hell fire by allowing him to correct himself.

3. Elsewhere on the forum you have asked why Muslims flock to the so called scholars?

This is because some people like to take the shortcut. Instead of reading and understanding the Quran, they flock to scholars and in some cases it is impossible to reason with them. The value they place on the words of the scholars is unfortunately extremely high and because they do not seek to understand the meaning of the Quran there is a lot of ignorance. It is the same as in Christianity. Some churches have accepted homosexuality and some have gone to the extent of the ordinations of gay priests. But the Christians who have read the Bible and know that God forbids these acts have simply moved away from that Church, whilst others believe whatever the priests say.

4. On another thread someone has asked why many non-Muslims think all Muslims are terrorists?

Sometime  back I too would have defended myself when anything negative is told about Muslims. Allah has told us in the Quran to ponder upon His signs. Whilst many Muslims have died since S11 because of the attacks of the coalition in Iraq, Afghanistan etc, many many more have also died in the Tsunami, the floods and the earthquakes. The number of people killed in Turkey, Iran, Aceh, Pakistan etc, make me reflect. Allah has said in the Quran that whatever wrath befalls us we bring it upon ourselves.

Islam and Muslims are two different issues. While Islam is beautiful and perfect unfortunately many of those who are born into it take it for granted and believe they are the chosen people. They live in the west yet are very quick at hurling criticism at western practises. In fact the laws of the western nations are more in line with Islam than many so called Islamic countries. The leaders of many of these nations are more humble than Muslim leaders. We have too many Saddams. Give a person some authority and he behaves like a dictator. Muslim countries abound in corruption and arrogance and suppression is common. Iniquity is common. Though we have received the Book, we do not follow it as it should be followed. Allah has promised that if we did not He would replace us by a people who would follow. And that is exactly what is happening today. Many non-Muslims are becoming Muslims after reading and fully understanding Islam. Many are even taking the steps of spreading the truth to other Muslims by teaching them the difference between right and wrong. Yes, I am one of those dejected by the natural disasters that Muslims have brought upon themselves today and pray that they seek His guidance which is the Only Guidance.

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 1:00am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

regarding female circumcision, i will leave the issue and not respond to it as i expect others to do so. I will state though you have made a number of inccorect asumptions regarding benefit and harm and have not understood why it is wajib in the shafii madhhab or what the role of legal principles/maxims is, something that is the cornerstone of most islamic law. Have you seen why circumcision for men is wajibwhile reading the Quran and Sunnah? if yes you have also seen why it is wajib for women according to the shafii madhhab, a courtesy in the hanafi madhhab and a sunnah in the hanbali madhhab which ibn taymiyah was.

My �madhab� is mainstream Islam and I do not divide and attach myself to any sect giving it special recognition. As Muslims we are commanded to accept only the Quran without questioning and everything else is open to question, enquiry and criticism.

Traditional Islam has been and will always be with the the Sunni Madhhabs, most islamic khalifats and rullers followed them. The last Khalifah on earth was that of the ottoman empire they followed the hanafi madhhab. You need to study islamic history to get a clear picture of what traditional islam is, today you are not taught it anywhere so i cant expect you to know it. I advise you to please read the first article i gave a link to this talks about the history of the madhhabs and what they are.

This is because some people like to take the shortcut. Instead of reading and understanding the Quran, they flock to scholars and in some cases it is impossible to reason with them. The value they place on the words of the scholars is unfortunately extremely high and because they do not seek to understand the meaning of the Quran there is a lot of ignorance.

no sister this is not correct, although living in australia i can see how you can have this view. Most Scholars here are not highly qualified indaviduals and would barely rate a mention when compared to a real scholar. the law i am quoting to you has been codified and with out change so it is a traditional law not something new and not something from ignorant people. People who do not follow a madhhab are taking a shortcut as you put it since you can not expect every person to have the same depth of knowledge as a scholar or take into considiration the same things as scholars do when making a rulling. would you say you have gained the same amount of knowledge by reading the Quran your self as say when you sit with a scholar to explain it to you.

It is the same as in Christianity. Some churches have accepted homosexuality and some have gone to the extent of the ordinations of gay priests. But the Christians who have read the Bible and know that God forbids these acts have simply moved away from that Church, whilst others believe whatever the priests say.

We are not talking about changing the law of Allah, this is not corect to even think of a true scholar. The great scholars of Islam combined knowldge with piety and humbelness many of whom were awliayh (saints) of allah, Imam Nawawi was one such indavidual. these were key figures in islam not your local neighbourhood shaykh.

assalamu alaikum
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic