IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ramadan is not easy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ramadan is not easy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramadan is not easy
    Posted: 11 October 2005 at 11:12pm

There perhaps is no excuse for me this year. Just recently I began to have become sick with a small flu, and even though it was not as bad as it would have been if my immune system was bad I eneded up breaking fast. I share this experience because I would assume the greater portion of you are an extended family of mine (no matter how our views differ). I understand that if one is ill one can break fast, but perhpas breaking fast is not the point here.

I recall a Muslimah on television here in the States who gave a brief introduction about Ramadan and one of her lasting impression in that interview was that "Ramada is easy for Muslims." I tend to disagree. Perhpas for born Muslims the month of Ramadan is easy because one is born into the faith, but for those who revert back to the faith its still a system to aclcimate into.

To reject daily necessities especially water during the Day break of Ramadan is diffult for several reasons:

1) Depending on your daily duties the fact that our bodies are 3/4 water if we do daily activities that requires us to sweat a whole lot this will cause early dehydration, if this is not remedied one can cause themselves to overheat and have heat stroke.

2) A normal meal system is usually three meals a day. In Ramadan one has to eat early in the moring prior to sunrise to eat a nutrious meal. Even though one can last the whole day with one "early" meal it is still required that one must eat a "middle" meal such as lunch to sustain a balanced diet.

3) Not having consistent system of food intake can cause the immune system to falter. This happened in my case. Because the weather is changing in California from Summer soltice to Autumn and then winter all these climatic changes can make up susceptible to sickness.

The great importance of Ramadan is for us to recognize this and to appreciate these daily necessities that we give up during the day break til iftar. I am always ever aware of God's blessings to mankind but more so this year. When I was sick I really felt icky and really drained. My strength has really staggered and I really felt aggitated lately.

I do have one concern which is contracting gastritis again. For those of you who do not know that, let me just say that is the worse stomach illness you can get perhaps second to ulcers. Gasteritis is the acid build up in your stomach which sits in your stomach eating away at the lining of your stomach. Because when I was high school there was a time where I didn't eat until the evening time (because cafeteria food sucked really bad) the acid build up during the day ate away at the lining of my stomach so much that the lining was thin to where the acid would also eat away at the internal tissue in my stomach.

This causes great pain and gas build up which would cause nausea and extreme pain. Let me tell anyone of you who contract this would cry like a baby or would be in great pain as this is something that is very stressful, painful and could possibly lead to an ulcer. This is my fear and even though I've long recovered from this its still a concer for me.

At the hospital I work there is another Muslim who came into our E.R (emergency room) who also fasting came in disoriented because he was fasting and perhaps was working in extreme heat. So those of you who think fasting is easy think again, but then again I hoghly doubt those who are saying fasting is easy are working in extreme conditions.....

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 5:39am

Assalamu alaikum Brother Israfil,

Sorry to hear you have been ill, insha'allah, you will get through the rest of Ramadan in better health and spirits! 

Brother, you can buy acid reduction pills over the counter that you could take with your pre-dawn meal and then again when you break your fast (the pills work up to 12 hours).  You might find that these will help greatly with your stomach problems!  I have many problems with my stomach but I have been taking such pills for Ramadan and have not suffered any bad stomach problems yet, alhamdulillah!

You might also try hard to drink more water during the night, if you are able, even try putting a bottle or glass beside your bed, so you don't have to even get up to have a drink.  Drinking lots of water from sunset to dawn (and only water, not pop or coffee, etc.) might also help you get through the day.

As well, if you are exercising vigorously in early morning, try moving it to later in the day, nearer to the time you can break your fast.  Or, change your type of exercise to something more moderate for the rest of Ramadan.

My first many Ramadan's were very hard for me as well, but over time they became easier.  This year, alhamdulillah, has been the easiest of all, even with working hard out in the garden (though, I am sure I do not have to work as hard as you!)  I do hope you have an easier time with your fast for the remainder or Ramadan.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:23am

Shafak allah brother Israfil.  In sha allah fasting will become easier for you with time.  Everyone's body is different. 

Salaam

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:34am
Israfil-I also find it hard because I am feeding kids and giving them drinks all day. I don't really get hungry but get thirsty. I feel very spacey and have a hard time focusing and want to take a nap in the afternoon. But overall I feel the experience is very humbling and helps to break some of my bad habits. One was being addicted to caffine. I went through strange withdrawels the first few days of fasting, my face was hot and I had a headache and had muscle spasms all over my body. This made me realize that I was depending on coffee and tea way too much and need to take better care of myself. I plan to not go back to caffine after Ramadan ends.  Peace...
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 5:16pm

Thank you sisters for your kind words Insha'allah it will become easier in time and with faith in Allah...

b95000 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b95000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 8:24pm
Fasting is not easy - in my humble opinion - but it brings one closer to God as you ponder His provisions in your life and His greatness.

All the best to all who are fasting!

In Christ,

Bruce
Bruce
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
Namk85 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namk85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

I recall a Muslimah on television here in the States who gave a brief introduction about Ramadan and one of her lasting impression in that interview was that "Ramada is easy for Muslims." I tend to disagree. Perhpas for born Muslims the month of Ramadan is easy because one is born into the faith, but for those who revert back to the faith its still a system to aclcimate into.

I know A lot of ppl born into Islam and they Also find it difficult to fast because even thou they were born into Islam they dnt practice Islam so wen it cums to fasting its hard for them.

It's like they're reverting back to Islam as well.

It just takes time, faith and will power.

and so far from the sounds of it it seems like you have dat.

and as for the fast you broke I've learnt that those who are Ill and are not able to keep a fast then they can make up for it after the month of Ramadan this is if they do it straight away when they can (once the illness has passed).

I also learnt that a person who does not keep a fast for no reason or breaks a fast for no reason they have to keep 60 fast after the month of Ramadan to make up for it.

Im not sure if what I just wrote is true but I am 85% sure that it is because I have heard this a few times from practicing Muslims.

If this is not true then please excuse me for my ignorance

special people who can touch our lives,
Are like precious jewels amongst life's treasures.
They shine on us and leave a lasting impression;
An unique mark on our heart;
A gift without measures.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 6:09am

Bismillah,

Israfil, I agree that it is difficult for some and easy for others.  If you are ill and you may harm yourself, fasting is not obligatory.  Let us know how UmmZibba's advice turns out. 

(This story you told reminds me of the Arabic phrase 'Aadee'.  Which is like saying It's normal, or no problem ever for me.  I think this is a social, cultural thing and saying that fasting is easy for everyone falls under this category.  It's a social intimidation to pretend that everything is okay.  And I think we should ignore speeches and discussions with people who try to force us to be like them or hide how we truly are.)

I am better in some ways and worse in some.  When I was younger and didn't have stomach problems, it was fairly easy to fast.  And then I was Mormon as a child, so I fasted the 24 hour fast with nothing, and then the three day fast with nothing the first day and just water and juice for one or two more.  So I was used to fasting really.

But even so, being older with stomach ailments, it is harder.  I am finding that this year my stomach is better with fasting.  However, I am faint and weak later in the day like Jenni.

Spiritually, I feel closer to Allah, SWT.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic