IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Egypt  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Egypt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 9:50am
I only just read today that the army fired, with deadly fire, upon Morsi supporters that came out in protest.  This was discouraging to learn.  Why must it be so hard for people to stick with peaceful protest.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by suhail wani suhail wani wrote:

i want ask you one question ,why egyptian people cheated mohhamad moorsi

I think you mean, why did the Egyptian army cheat Morsi?  If Morsi was elected in an honest election, with support from the majority of Egyptians, it is hard to believe that they would so soon have turned against him.

On the other hand, someone on the radio this morning was saying that the election wasn't honest.  I don't know, but I don't recall anyone raising such issues at the time.

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I only just read today that the army fired, with deadly fire, upon Morsi supporters that came out in protest.  This was discouraging to learn.  Why must it be so hard for people to stick with peaceful protest.

Then again, if the Morsi protests were intended to be so peaceful, then after it became violent where did they get all the guns to return fire?  It's hard to know who is telling the truth, but IMHO there is probably plenty of blame on both sides.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

it is hard to believe that they would so soon have turned against him.

Hi Ron,
Regarding this part of your post....
How else do you explain the 14 million that came out in peaceful protest, calling for the removal of Morsi.
The way I understand is that when they elected Morsi the people voted for democracy, but that is not what they have gotten from their new leader.
I am just so thankful that Morsi did not order the military to fire on those 14 million as a certain other leader has done in his country.
Of course I don't know that a military coupe is the best thing either.  In the U.S. there is a process by which a president has to be removed, called impeachment... where there is a trial and a decision.  I don't understand the politics enough to know why this process could not have taken place in Egypt.  I don't think anyone wants a 'military state' of affairs.

Edited by Caringheart - 09 July 2013 at 4:29pm
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 5:59pm

How else do you explain the 14 million that came out in peaceful protest, calling for the removal of Morsi.

Simple -- I don't believe it.  That estimate came from the military.  If true, it would represent one sixth of the entire population, including babies and small children.  But of course the military would exaggerate its support.

Quote In the U.S. there is a process by which a president has to be removed, called impeachment... where there is a trial and a decision.  I don't understand the politics enough to know why this process could not have taken place in Egypt.

Exactly.  Even in the worst case, they could have voted Morsi out in the next election.  So far I haven't seens anything to justify removing him by force.

As a matter of fact, I've been searching the news for any concrete accusation against Morsi.  I know he has granted himself extraordinary powers, but what has he actually done with those powers that is so horrible?  The only thing I've read is someone saying -- seriously!  -- that he banned belly dancing.  Ermm  Really?  As much as you might like belly dancing, that issue couldn't have waited till the next election?

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 6:23pm

Simple -- I don't believe it.  That estimate came from the military.  If true, it would represent one sixth of the entire population, including babies and small children.  But of course the military would exaggerate its support.

Hi Ron,

Did you not see the media coverage?  Did it not look like 14 million people?  I believe they are using the yardstick of comparison of Tiananmen square in China.

Blessed be God forever
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 6:59pm

Did you not see the media coverage?  Did it not look like 14 million people?

No, it didn't.  Are you sure you even know what 14 million people would look like?  Find me a picture that you think is 14 million people (Google Images pulls up lots of anti-Morsi crowd shots), and we'll talk about it.

Quote I believe they are using the yardstick of comparison of Tiananmen square in China.

I don't care what "yardstick" the military used.  I would be more surprised if they didn't exaggerate the numbers.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 7:20pm

Did you not see the media coverage?  Did it not look like 14 million people?

No, it didn't.  Are you sure you even know what 14 million people would look like?

LOL No, I guess I don't. lol  I just know that is what was reported and it sure looked possible to me.

I believe they are using the yardstick of comparison of Tiananmen square in China.

I don't care what "yardstick" the military used.  I would be more surprised if they didn't exaggerate the numbers.

It's not the military 'using the yardstick of measure' that I was referring to.  I meant it is the yardstick that the media is using.

Edited by Caringheart - 09 July 2013 at 7:24pm
Blessed be God forever
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 7:48pm
And the media got that estimate from the military.

People (myself included) are notoriously bad at estimating large numbers.  However, a bit of simple math can help a lot.  For instance, 16 million people (for round numbers) would be a square of 4000 by 4000 people.  Or if you prefer, a circle of 14 million people would be about 4000 people in diameter (area = pi * r^2, or 14,000,000 = 3.14 * (4000/2)^2).

Take any picture you think has 14 million people in it.  Draw an imaginary line across the picture that you think fairly represents a diameter.  That line would have to have 4000 people on it. 

But even 4000 people is hard to gauge by sight, so divide that line into ten segments.  Each of those segments must contain 400 people.

Or divide one of those segments into ten parts (1/100 of the total length of the line), and try to imagine 40 people in that little bit (now less than a ten of an inch long).  Could you even see 40 separate people in that bit of the photo?  If so, you have better eyes than me, or a better imagination.

In fact, we can make this even simpler.  Your computer screen probably has only about a million pixels.  Any picture which purports to show 14 million people would just be a blur on your computer monitor.  You couldn't possibly see individual people. 

Edited by Ron Webb - 09 July 2013 at 7:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic