IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Salaamu Alaykum from Khalid abdul-Malik  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Salaamu Alaykum from Khalid abdul-Malik

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skswsdom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Salaamu Alaykum from Khalid abdul-Malik
    Posted: 09 October 2005 at 4:53am

Bismillah ar Rahman ar Rahiim

All Praise belongs to Allah. We Praise Him, we seek His Guidance and we beg for His forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from the evil of our souls and we seek refuge in Allah from the evil of what our hands put forth. To whom Allah Guides there is no one that can lead them astray. Those to whom Allah permits to be led astray, they have no one to guide them. I bear witness there is nothing worthy of worship besides Allah. He is unique and has no associates. I bear witness that Muhammad Ibn Abdullah is the universal Messenger. Peace and blessing be upon him and upon on the Prophet�s family and noble companions. O you who believe: fear Allah as he should be feared and die not except as a Muslim.

My personal journey to God began when I was nine years old. My �desire�, for lack of a better word, was to become a priest. This later developed into the recognition of a call to become a Jesuit specifically, as I believed them to be (and admittedly still do to some extent) the most dedicated of servants in Christianity, undertaking a tutelage which examines not only its own dogma in explicit detail, but also explores the doctrines of every other religion and system of thought, be it Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam and the rest of those which it may have cause to encounter. A process is learned by the Jesuit to examine and exploit the individual weaknesses of said doctrines in order to refute them in the interest of then establishing �The Truth�. This is not an illogical principle, yet it is no strange thing to consider that only five percent of those who enter the Jesuit order remain until the end of their term. I am of this group, having lost my faith in the Church (yet not in God) due to the process of admission an initiate in the Jesuit tradition must undergo: demonstrate with certainty your belief of the trinity and demonstrate with certainty your belief of the divinity of Jesus.

I believe man to be a creature of Reason, Reason of the overriding kind that can overcome with discipline, patience and resolve the ever present passions which lie within us. I further believe that a mindful nature cannot manifest from a mindless reality. The previously mentioned �beliefs� of my (former) Jesuit tutelage went and go against the very core of my convictions as well as with the majority of Christians I know and have come to know since believe it or not. I could explain the disciplines of trinity and divinity, and have done so, in terms to make even the most jaded and/or dedicated question their beliefs. To believe so myself and profess this without true conviction and sincerity was and is tantamount to hypocrisy and this I could not have on my soul. I left the Church in search of something different which I desperately hoped to be The Truth.

I found it in Islam, or is it that it found me. Regardless, it was not that I wanted to make this speech a personal treatise but suffice it to say I have found The Truth without doubt with definite certainty. It is a compelling course of existence I once again find myself in, that being the need to establish this way of life in America for myself and my community politically and otherwise and to call others to this way of life in order to facilitate this.

In the ideal sense, a Muslim is called to bring Islam to the world by example of righteous character. A Muslim is called to vice regency by his Lord, to exemplify integrity, dignity, sincerity and resolve. A Muslim is called to persevere throughout the trials and adversity of this life, as it is a test for the worthiness of the hereafter. This is a mindset not unique to Islam, and is mirrored in every noble tradition which preceded it and came after.

I was raised in the Christian tradition, to turn the other cheek. For me that has come to mean several things:  not necessarily to allow the satisfaction of a detractor and/or aggressor at personal expense but to, even in the worse of situations, see the other side. It is a thing I have struggled to keep with me throughout my exploration of a relationship with God and am grateful for, especially at times like these. Experience notwithstanding, I can�t honestly contemplate anyone sane wanting evil for evil�s sake, nor be willing to invite the wrath of the world to accomplish it. The madness of it all thankfully escapes me.

The reality is of course, drastically different. Emotion is a factor that is inconsiderate of this madness, save in the implementation of an agenda that realizes an immediate return. The eye for an eye mentality of the Code of Hammurabbi and those systems which it has fostered throughout history has lived with us far too long to ignore, so ingrained in the human psyche that it is an indelible element of the human condition. It is just such an emotional response that I believe must be avoided, even at the sacrifice of an immediate, if deceptively perceived, sense of justice. Such sacrifice is important when one realizes that, while we may sacrifice something within our humanity, in the process we achieve a measure of the divine.

I believe it�s worth it.

That�s me. That�s it. Ramadan Kariim
mouhssine4 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouhssine4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 3:43am

wa alaikoum asalam brother

i am very happy for you that Allah has chosen you to be one of the beleivers

he is my email [email protected] if i can be helpfull with anything

salam

Skswsdom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skswsdom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:06am

Asalaamu Alaykum wa Ramadan Mubarak mouhssine4,

I appreciate the offer; the same to you and yours as well. I've been here for ten years although it feels like it's been my life from time to time. BTB, do i call you Aki or Uhkti? Friend from Morocco may well get long in the tooth afer a while :). Peace from a brother in the USA.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouhssine4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:33am

salam

akhi brother

i have live for a while in the state but never heard this saying, i know it is something funny but bear with me

explain it to me my freind, so that if i hear it next time i will not look like an outsider

you said:

Friend from Morocco may well get long in the tooth afer a while :).

Skswsdom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skswsdom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:52am

Salaam Akhi,

"Long in the tooth," meaning "old," was originally used to describe horses. As horses age, their gums recede, giving the impression that their teeth are growing. The longer the teeth look, the older the horse.

Btb, thanx for the PM, alhumdulillah. Also, as to the above I'm not that clever ... I just asked Jeeves ;).

Edited by Skswsdom
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouhssine4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:57am

i was kiding when i made in my profile that i was born in 1919

anyhow, long in thooth means old

well i will remamber that i bet that it is a southern  expression

that is where horses fanns are , maybe i am wrong

i must go bro, you got my email

take care you and all other muslims

and take it easy on that table during the footor

Edited by mouhssine4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic