IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pope washes feet of Muslim prisoner  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pope washes feet of Muslim prisoner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Rational Rational wrote:

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I wonder how the woman came to be included in the foot washing, along with the men.... I think the Pope is seeking to revive the spirit shown to us by Christ... the spirit which He wanted us to emulate. People will naturally be uncomfortable with this... this model of change.

I see where you're coming from.... Rules are meant to be broken right?

Huh?
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 4:00pm

Personally, I would never allow myself to put my foot in someones face like that. That's just pride and arrogance. That's degrading someone else beyond anything, and in public. So while the pope man is showing a gesture of humility, those getting their feet washed are showing arrogance and egotism x 100. Maybe they felt good about it. But is this right? What example are they showing? That's why I'm sure most people wouldn't allow to put their feet in the face of another because humility has to be both ways. And that's why I believe this drama piece is worthless. If the pope man really wanted to show that he is on the same level then he and his crew should all dress like those normal people and focus on spending less on themselves. That would be a good place to start, not the feet.

Greetings Rational,

I guess you have not heard then, that this Pope has chosen not to have new robes made specially for himself.  He chooses not to live in the 'Papal palace', but rather in the 'Vatican guest house' which he was residing in before being named Pope.  He chooses to walk rather than be transported in expensive vehicles.
This Pope is truly attempting to provide the very example which you ask for.

Also, I actually believe it takes a great deal of humility to allow another to wash ones feet.  Think of it... would you feel comfortable, or would it force you to get outside of your comfort zone to allow someone to wash your feet?  I believe it would humble me.

Salaam,
CH

Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 4:32pm

what does it reveal and who is this author? Get to the point ;)
Psychoanalysts call it 'projection' and 'reaction-formation'. It fits a familiar stereotype where preachers froth endlessly about sex and sin, all the while living a secret double life. UK Cardinal Keith O'Brien is an especially high-profile example, as were the televangelists Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker. Who knows? Maybe Muslims are immune. ;-)
God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 7:34pm

Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

BTW why is this even a problem for you? Why would it bother you how Christians conduct their religious rituals?

Because I care about people, non muslims and muslims. Because I hate it when people are being lied to. Because they involved a "muslim" woman (even though i don't belive any of it). Because I don't agree with public in your face team effort feet washing. Because I have a right to an opinion just like you and everyone else. I could ask you the same question because you said that you're not a catholic so why do you care.

Why involve woman?  That's what I'm talking about. Would Jesus (alaihi assalam) wash the feet of daughters of the disciples?  Would he allow that they wash the feet of each others daughters? No of course not. Men do not wash the feet of other woman. This man (pope man) is no different.

I wonder if this man washes the feet of people his age.

Salaam Alaikum, Rational.

Firstly, I owe you an apology for asking why this is an issue for you. I have questioned and will continue to question things in Islam and that are done by Muslims, and I would not react positively to someone telling me that since I am not Muslim, it is not my business. So I had no justification in saying that to you.

Would Jesus wash the feet of the daughters of His disciples? I don't see why not. He came into the home of a dead girl and brought her back to life. He stopped the stoning to death of an adulteress. He allowed a woman who was living in sin to put perfume on His feet and cry over them.

Did He wash the feet of women? No. But He did visit them and protect them, and earned the ire of the pharisees by letting a woman wash His feet and kiss them.

So I don't think that the Pope washing the feet of the women was inappropriate. This is probably something we are going to disagree on, and that's OK.

God bless.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by nospam001 nospam001 wrote:

what does it reveal and who is this author? Get to the point ;)
Psychoanalysts call it 'projection' and 'reaction-formation'. It fits a familiar stereotype where preachers froth endlessly about sex and sin, all the while living a secret double life. UK Cardinal Keith O'Brien is an especially high-profile example, as were the televangelists Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker. Who knows? Maybe Muslims are immune. ;-)

Now I am confused also. What are you trying to say in regards to Rational's comments?
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 11:36pm

Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Now I am confused also. What are you trying to say in regards to Rational's comments?
Fair enough. It's pretty confusing for me too, defending a pope - especially given my earlier posts about abuse in the Catholic Church.

On reflection, I'm guessing that Rational was only seeking to parody the kind of sleazy innuendo that is often used against Mohammed().

I admit, I was fooled. For a while I thought he was a repressed podophile. Boom-tish! Clown
God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2013 at 2:39am
TG12345
I think many Muslims around the world get the feet washing ritual and the humility it represents. I also think this Pope performed the ceremony with its original intent. Let us hope and pray that solid acts of peace and justice (on both sides) follow these symbolic gestures.
Respectfully
aka2x2
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 3:23am
In general, I'm very critical of the entire Vatican and Vatican system. But I get this feeling that the new Pope is an improvement over the previous one.

Peace among believers of all religions should be priority number one in the 21st century. Washing the feet of a Muslim is a great gesture.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic